Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

question about upgrading my z

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 11:00 PM
joonnoh57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about upgrading my z

okay so im basically new to everything about upgrades... i mean i didnt know the difference between the exhaust and the tip... didnt know what they meant by tt z... and just found out what cold air intake is about couple days ago...

and this all happened cause i just got my new z last week and finally learned how to drive a manual haha yay me
okay so since i got a i thought i could join the forum to get some help on my z and upgrading it so i was looking through the treads to see what i should get to upgrade my z...

so far im thinking about doing three things to my car
and my z in the 2005 25th anniversary or the track edition... (again... im a noob lol dont even really know my own model... how can u tell the difference btw?)
1)get new exhaust
2)get a new suspension and lower the car, wheels and tires
3)get an intake

and i have some questions...
1)exhaust
so i went through the threads, youtube to find a exhaust that sounds nice and... when i looked them up online.. omg... $1300... okay...
im a college student with a min. wage with car payment, insurance, gas, cell phone, etc... so i was wondering if there are any cheaper ones... like 400$ish... but i dont want my z to sound like a civic... (no offense) and if i do get an ehaust is it easy to install it? or do i need to take in to the shop?
and i heard putting an aftermarket exhaust only give ur z about an extra 2hp... is that true?

2)new suspension
how do i lower my car? can i do it with my stock suspension? or do i have to replace the whole suspension? someone told me to just add sprigs... so confusing... and how much does it cost and i have the 18" stock wheels with brembo breaks is that good enough??

3)intake
did some research and intakes were about 200$ to like 400$ and someone told me just get the cheapest one cause its made with all the same meterials and it only adds about again 2hp. is that true??? and again is it easy to install it? (noob... when it came to car i can only wash, wax, change tires, and drive...)

please help >.<
Old 02-20-2010, 11:18 PM
TheFarmer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joonnoh57
im a college student with a min. wage with car payment, insurance, gas, cell phone, etc...
please help >.<
Keep it stock for now. You'll thank yourself in the long run.

BTW, all the answers to your questions are in the search function. Be patient, take your time and read through. There are a TON of good information floating around on this site. Infact, I think this single thread answers all your questions:

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...to-your-z.html
Old 02-21-2010, 03:54 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome. Terminology can be confusing, but easy to learn. Example: cat back exhaust or exhaust from the catalytic converter back. Most jargon is self-explanatory.

You have a plan on a budget. A budget is good.

Can I do $10,000 quality and reliable mods for $5,000?

The question is asked once each week. Think about it.

Read. Learn from the experience of others.

Last edited by davidv; 02-21-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:00 AM
Frosty87

Honestly if you have no idea of what trim your car is and no idea of mods save your money besides your car is NA "naturally aspirated " bolt ons such as exhaust will not show large gains its more the sound and look of the exhaust in my opinion. Unless u go fi
Old 02-21-2010, 06:33 AM
grizz311

I would have to say: don't do any midifications to your car until you actually learn your car.. Exterior mods such as window tint are alright...
Browse around the forums for a bit, and take some time to learn different things, and then slowly start modding...
You can't really appreciate having someone else do everything on your car so that its: faster/louder/better looking, and you having no idea what was done. Good luck.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:10 AM
BonesZ33

I agree, Do not modify your car for at least another 6 months because you do not know what you want. As you learn more about the car you will slowly start to figure it out. After 6 months you should look into buying an intake and seeing if you can install it yourself.

To answer some of your questions, yes you need springs, or coilover suspension to lower your car.

Cheaper exhaust can sound good but quality is known to be not as good as name brands.
Intake / exhaust doesn't add much power so don't expect much.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:39 AM
blue350zed

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^Agree. Sit on it for a while, until you learn a little bit more about it. You'll learn alot on the forum. If you're on a budget, you can find some great deals on great parts in the FS section used.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Playboi12

when i got my z in november (08 6 speed manual) i sat on the mods for a little bit and just thought about where to start... i decided to go interior first then go to the performance and exterior... just sit down and figure out what exactly you want out of the car and like they said set a budget and make a list of what you want and stick too it... good luck with everything
Old 02-21-2010, 08:11 PM
adamciya350

Yeah, one thing I learned is listen to the people on this site, not your honda friends. The mods that most of your friends in college are doing with civics, etc. Are on a completely different scale from the z. My friend got headers and exhaust for $600 on his si, for us, we'd be talking 2 gs. Anyways...like they said, wait. When I first got my z I wanted to do so many things, but the more you surf this site, you will find new and better ideas. If you dive into mods now, you're going to go the media gallery and be like "dammit I wish I wouldve gotten that"
Old 02-21-2010, 10:53 PM
Playboi12

lol yea i know what you mean man... trust me...i got my in dash navigation first, then got my 2 recaro bucket seats, then a harness bar and my 5 point racing harness... i am now working on exterior and performance at the same time... i know what i want with the exterior mods but for performance i am leaning towards going with a built block twin turbo kit but debating wether to just go full bolt on =/ lol
Old 02-22-2010, 06:44 AM
WillyP28

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

save your money until you learn your car and figure out your goals. Spending your money on cheap crap is not going to do you any good and the products are usually garbage.