Notices
NISMO 350Z The Limited Edition Best Handling Z Ever.

Single Best/Less Expensive Aftermarket HP Mod?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 07:43 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

for the millionth time. The code that HFC and TP's throw DO NOT CAUSE THE CAR TO GO INTO LIMP MODE. It just lets you know that the rear cat isnt working( because the ecu doesnt know you changed it. )
Old 02-17-2009, 07:54 AM
wrxgrillin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
for the millionth time. The code that HFC and TP's throw DO NOT CAUSE THE CAR TO GO INTO LIMP MODE. It just lets you know that the rear cat isnt working( because the ecu doesnt know you changed it. )
( because the ecu doesnt know you changed it. ) You just said it youre self the computer doesnt know you changed and thinks its not working therefore throwing it into safe mode. Either way theres a simple way to fix it and why stare at a check engine light everyday.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:59 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MsLiLBlackNismo
Their right about the Test Pipes... The problem with them (because I have them on my mine), they are raspy in the lower RPM's, and it gets really annoying. If you can deal with it than go for it... But personally, I hate them. And for the HP gains, I didnt notice a diffence... My advice to you.. DO MORE research, save your money and buy something better like HFC or exhaust or even Nitrous.... Nitrous will be the bestest bang for the buck............
Rasp is like comfort, or taste - it's very, very subjective.

If you don't notice what test pipes did for you, not sure what to tell ya - they make an appreciable difference on a car with zero other mods. Like any other mods people do, some people feel them more than others. Certainly if you didn't notice test pipes, you're never going to notice high flow cats - which incidentally can be just as raspy, weigh more, and don't make as much power vs test pipes (and cost significantly more)

The check engine light goes on for a very simple reason. The ecu moniters all sensors in the car. Among those sensors, are the 02 sensors. In addition to taking feeback from the 02 sensors to adjust fuel and timing changes accordingly, the ecu also moniters how hot the sensors get, and how long it takes for them to get to temperature and sustain that temperature. When one fits test pipes, the sensor heats up much quicker than it does vs a stock cat, and as such, the ecu throws a code. No part of the fuel or timing map is changed, the car performs exactly as it should, but the CEL is illuminated. Not every car reacts the same way either.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 02-17-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:02 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wrxgrillin
( because the ecu doesnt know you changed it. ) You just said it youre self the computer doesnt know you changed and thinks its not working therefore throwing it into safe mode. Either way theres a simple way to fix it and why stare at a check engine light everyday.
Its not exactly simple cuz cars are getting smarter every year. But anyway believe what your heart tells you, this isnt the first car ive driven with a test pipe. And as verified with a scanner and you foot the ecu does not limp the car. Seriously drive the car yourself if your light on. The only reason i may guess you would think it is in limp mode is the near 3k rpm bog when you stomp the floor.

Edit: If there was a problem code with the front O2's the car would go into a limp mode. But the rear O2's ONLY JOB is to verify the operation of the catalysts, not affect the driveability in anyway.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by eatmyduZt
Guys,

I've read allot on MY350z forum about what people are doing to boost HP on the "stock" Z's, but being that the Nismo has a few mods already (i.e., exhaust), what do feel would be the single best, and least expensive, aftermarket mod that would increase HP the most?

Some of the "stock" Z's that I have read about have increased HP by adding the Motordyne 5/16 plenum, do you feel this would be a good start?

Any opinion will be greatly appreciated.

EMduZt
Plenum spacer
New plenum
Test pipes
Nitrous
Old 02-17-2009, 01:35 PM
wrxgrillin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, i apologize i was wrong. The computer does not go into safe mode when the cell light unless its major part of the system that is malfunctioning. I called technosquare to ask them and thats what they told me. I still feel the same way thought but why stare at the light everyday and if it is on you wont be able to tell if something else is going wrong and the check engine light really needs to come on. It should only cost around a $100 to get it fixed depending on the shop. I didnt pay anything but thats what boy said he would charge.
Attached Thumbnails Single Best/Less Expensive Aftermarket HP Mod?-1.jpg   Single Best/Less Expensive Aftermarket HP Mod?-2.jpg   Single Best/Less Expensive Aftermarket HP Mod?-3.jpg