Notices
NISMO 350Z The Limited Edition Best Handling Z Ever.

rattling noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 03:33 PM
jong2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rattling noise

guys, there is a rattling noise coming from the back (right rear)of my car every time i hit a bump, its like the sound loose bolt or loose body panel, i thought it was the jack and spare tire but its not, cause i took them out and drive it and i still heard that rattling sound. is anybody here experienced this rattling sound? pls help!this noise is driving me crazy.
i am hoping its nothing major. thanks..
Old 05-08-2010, 04:52 PM
nismofreak1208

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i got the same noise to, back right, checked everything out and nothings wrong, jus add some insulation in there i guess to stop the rattling, i've been living with it but ever since i put the rear bushings in, i hear it jus a whee bit more now
Old 05-08-2010, 09:18 PM
jlvvega

mine was making noise on that area and the problem was the foam were the tools are attached.
i found out that the plastics that attach the foam is not reliable so I use heavy duty velcro to stick it down.
that solve my rattle.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:14 AM
jong2

i will try to do that before i start taking the panels out and see. thanks
Old 05-09-2010, 07:52 AM
ChuckW

Originally Posted by jlvvega
mine was making noise on that area and the problem was the foam were the tools are attached.
i found out that the plastics that attach the foam is not reliable so I use heavy duty velcro to stick it down.
that solve my rattle.
Jlvvega probably nailed it. I would just remove the tools and go for a drive quick. If the rattle is gone, you confirmed its source.

I didn't find the whole tray to be a problem. If I remember correctly, just my tow hook had too much room and shook. I altered its position to cure my rattle.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:09 AM
jong2

just went for a drive w/o the lid, i taped all the foam and suspected areas and ask my buddy to listen and look if he can spot the problem and the noise is still there but not as much. now i thinking about going to the dealer and re torque all the bolts on the rear end area.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Nizmo0395

Crank up some AC/DC! Hit some corners, get the grin started and you won't notice the noise! Drive it like you stole it, and chill out! But enjoy the NISMO for what it is! LED ZEPPLIN works also!
Old 05-10-2010, 02:35 PM
jong2

Originally Posted by Nizmo0395
Crank up some AC/DC! Hit some corners, get the grin started and you won't notice the noise! Drive it like you stole it, and chill out! But enjoy the NISMO for what it is! LED ZEPPLIN works also!
lol. thats a good one, but my problem is every time the song ends i still hear that annoying rattling sound, unless you know a song that last for say 20 min. lol
Old 05-10-2010, 02:44 PM
SniperHunter

We solved this in the Maintenance/Repair section, there's a big thread about it. Basically, you just need to re-torque a bolt that goes across the bottom of your strut. The problem is that the opening/hole that the bolt slips through is way too big, and the bolt is much thinner, so it creates a lot of play.

Somebody created a spacer that fills in that hole to the exact dimension of the bolt and the rattle went away. Before I knew of this, I just went and installed a different set of struts in the rear and the problem went away. But the bottomline does seem to point to it being that one nagging design flaw.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Nizmo0395

Originally Posted by jong2
lol. thats a good one, but my problem is every time the song ends i still hear that annoying rattling sound, unless you know a song that last for say 20 min. lol
Free Bird extended version and press repeat on your radio, alittle more than 24 min.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:20 AM
jong2

^^^^ lol! Ayway, upadate guys, yesterday, I took all the body panels in the back to almost bare metal drive it the noise is still there. Then I turn my attention on the gas back door stay and try shake it and it's tight no clearance, I guess out of option I tied the stud ball with a rubber band and take it for a drive and intentionally drove over bumps and the noise were gone. It's probably when the hatch were close the stud ball were loose that's why they rattle. Well i hope this will work for you guy suffer with this noise.
I will try to post some pictures when o get home

Last edited by jong2; 05-11-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:20 PM
jong2

here is the picture, i tied rubber band on the stud ball on both end and both gas back door stay. i hope this getto fix will work for you guys to and while trying to find a permanent solution.
Attached Thumbnails rattling noise-getattachment.jpg  

Last edited by jong2; 05-11-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:08 PM
J. Dub

How is the rubber band holding it up? Did the noise come back? I've noticed my noise is bad in the winter, and gone in summer.
However, now... In the morning it's noisey. By the time I drive home and my car has been sitting in the sun it's gone.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:41 AM
jong2

^^^^^well the noise is gone for the most part, but I still hear a little bit, the wierd thing is when I hit a big bump it's fine but hit like small bumps at low speed you can still hear the noise. I might still need to go to the dealer to atleast retorque the bolts on my rear end and go from there. In general, it's slot better than before and the rubber are holding up.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:49 AM
J. Dub

Thanks for the update!
Old 05-21-2010, 01:19 PM
J. Dub

Originally Posted by jong2
here is the picture, i tied rubber band on the stud ball on both end and both gas back door stay. i hope this getto fix will work for you guys to and while trying to find a permanent solution.
I'm confused w/ the above underline. I was trying to tie mine up but can you walk me through exactly what you mean?
Sorry for confusion. The above underlined doesn't make much sense.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:16 PM
jong2

Originally Posted by J. Dub
I'm confused w/ the above underline. I was trying to tie mine up but can you walk me through exactly what you mean?
Sorry for confusion. The above underlined doesn't make much sense.

here are some pictures, as you can see, this how i tied the rubber ban on the ball & socket (both ends)of the gas shocks. if your wondering why its not in the car anymore,well, because i went to the dealership. they saw the rubber band, and ask me what its for? i told them that's my ghetto fix for the rattle. lol. we went for a test drive (with out the rubber ban )to let them listen and they agreed that there is a rattling noise. they removed the shocks and went on the same road and the noise is gone! so they ordered me a new set. I am glad its not my suspension. at least when the new set are on and the noise comes back, i know that its not my suspension and can always go back and get some new one till my warranty runs out lol.
I hope this help.
Attached Thumbnails rattling noise-1.jpg   rattling noise-photo2.jpg   rattling noise-3.jpg   rattling noise-photo4.jpg   rattling noise-5.jpg  

Old 05-22-2010, 07:41 AM
J. Dub

^Perfect Thank you so much!
Old 05-22-2010, 06:12 PM
jong2

let us know.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:46 PM
jong2

update! just got my new replacement hatch rod stay about a week ago and the noise is back! but the good thing about it is i know its not my strut.

Quick Reply: rattling noise