Notices
NISMO 370Z The Limited Edition Best Handling 370Z Ever.

Nismo driving impression - after 1 week

Old 10-06-2009, 10:45 AM
nismolife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nismo driving impression - after 1 week

I posted this in the wrong thread. Sorry for the repost.

I haven't really written up my impressions since getting the car last week, so here goes...[warning LONG POST].

So far I'm loving it! The reasons sound like negatives, unless you love driving a loud, overpowered & impractical sports car:

It has a much more raw, unforgiving feel when compared to the 350. The extra horsepower shows up anytime you turn off traction control - just stick your foot in it and you'll be sideways in a quickness so watch it. This is the realm of power you have to remember to respect if you aren't in mother-may-I-mode. This is especially true if the pavement is damp. On a damp freeway in 4th gear I jumped on it and triggered the traction control light - this was pulling from about 50 mph (not sure what the revs were). Maybe its just sensitive?

The suspension is downright punishing if you live where the roads are really rough. A drive through West Seattle just beat my kidneys sore. It had me giggling at first, but the then it just felt kind of grim. I mean, it interrupts conversations - its that stiff.

Coming over the Mountlake Bridge (express lanes, lower deck) at triple digits was like riding a bucking bronco. The car felt absolutely suctioned to the undulating sections between expansion joints, which was probably a good thing but it had me wishing for a 4 point harness to keep from bouncing off the headliner.

The transmission whines loudly in 1st & 2nd gear. The shifting is notchy and stiff - shifting takes real intent. Tire noise is loud in the cabin, although the exhaust noise is strangely muted compared to my 07 350 which is stock save for cold air intakes.

The view out the rear window through the wing is for the most part non-existent. If you are used to scanning for cruisers out all your mirrors, the big one in the center is really only going to be good for checking for unruly nose hairs. If you are backing up have your head on a swivel, honk twice & say a prayer.

Most cars have at least one visual line that I don't care for as much. My old A4 was pretty boring straight on from the side. My 350Z has a Pikachu face. This Nismo - I thought it would be the long nose piece or that wing, but believe those who say it looks best in person - I think it really does. I really - really like how this one turned out!

Add to all that: I was downshifting coming to a stop sign (perfect rev matching from the SuperRoboThrottleBlipper) and looked up to see that the Nismo had caught the attention of a guy in the carport I was now facing. At that point, no less than 3 of his buddies came out of the house, lined up side by side and just stared. One of them actually had his mouth open. I don't read lips, but it looked to me like "Woooooaaaaahhhhh"...
Old 10-06-2009, 02:07 PM
shaun123

^^^ nice write-up. Wanted to get one but didnt feel like waiting, bought my 08 Nismo 3 months ago and love it. I am sure I would have loved to have the 370 version, but all in due time.

I have yet to see one in person, but I am sure that I would agree with you when you say it looks better in person.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:35 PM
jordanj77

Sounds awesome man. I wanted to get a Nismo 370 but don't have the cash (yet!). Glad you're enjoying it!
Old 10-17-2009, 07:10 PM
paposalsa
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shaun123
^^^ nice write-up. Wanted to get one but didnt feel like waiting, bought my 08 Nismo 3 months ago and love it. I am sure I would have loved to have the 370 version, but all in due time.

I have yet to see one in person, but I am sure that I would agree with you when you say it looks better in person.
Believe me that in person looks much better, I've been fighting myself not to get one. But I go almost every night to the dealer to see one.

Last edited by paposalsa; 10-17-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:09 AM
NISMOFO

So was your 2007 350Z the only 350Z you ever owned? It sounds like it was stock, am I correct? So you have never been in a 350Z with Nismo S-tune suspension I suspect? When you were mentioning the harshness of your suspension, I was wondering how it compared to S-tune.....because S-tune can be pretty brutal if you're on the wrong roads.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:20 PM
nismolife

Originally Posted by NISMOFO
So was your 2007 350Z the only 350Z you ever owned? It sounds like it was stock, am I correct? So you have never been in a 350Z with Nismo S-tune suspension I suspect? When you were mentioning the harshness of your suspension, I was wondering how it compared to S-tune.....because S-tune can be pretty brutal if you're on the wrong roads.
Correct - my 07 350z is stock except for CAI's. My Nismo's suspension is probably very similar (or same) as the S-tune. I've also never owned a proper set of coilovers - those guys know what they are getting so you don't hear from them about stiff suspension.

I just got back from some driving & filming down in the Columbia River Gorge - I pushed pretty hard considering the wet roads - that Nismo just did not let go. I'm impressed!
Old 10-24-2009, 04:12 AM
wzlc

thanks for sharing.it is useful and great for me .