Just a couple reason why turbo=headache & nitrous=fun

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 08:46 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Just a couple reason why turbo=headache & nitrous=fun

Sup fellas,

I thought I'd start a thread in here for all those who are undecided about whether to go turbo/sc or nitrous. I get alot of ppl that clown nitrous or think its ricey. I was using nitrous years before F&F and years before the term "ricey" was even around. Not to mention years before most of the clowns that call nitrous ricey, could drive. I have been reading alot of posts in the FI forum about problems with their turbo setup. I have also tried to find the same kinds of posts in the nitrous forums without any luck. Read them for yourself and decide if turbo or nitrous is right for you. If you are the type that is trigger happy or likes to go fast all the time, you may want to consider a turbo or SC as filling the bottle and excessive nitrous use can potentially hurt your motor. IF you can use nitrous in moderation, then it might be right for you. Anyhow, here are the links I collected....took about 3 minutes on two pages of the FI section.

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/227026-uh-o-more-problems.html

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/226833-turbonetics-turbo-seal-leaking-again-3rd-turbo.html

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/226718-help.html

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/226291-troubled-built-tt-please-help.html

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/217555-ses-p1274-p1283-p302.html

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/223666-need-help-excessive-misfire-hi-rpm.html
Old 10-30-2006, 04:58 PM
Gilley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the links. I am at the crossroads of deciding which method to use for additional power. These posts definitely have me considering N2O as an option.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:05 PM
NissanZfan

I'm sure you see alot more problems with FI than nitrous because there is simply more FI setups. Not knocking nitrous but just putting things in perspective.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:27 PM
one350zfan

Originally Posted by 98MODMTR
I was thinking the same.

This nitrous forum is pretty dead in comparison.
Well, if there's not many problems with nitrous, what's there to talk about?
Old 10-31-2006, 05:59 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Originally Posted by NissanZfan
I'm sure you see alot more problems with FI than nitrous because there is simply more FI setups. Not knocking nitrous but just putting things in perspective.

Lets put things in perspective shall we. Nitrous has 2 or 3 solenoids...usually. A bottle and steel braided lines. Relays, and some switches. Nitrous cools the intake temp big time and shows no positive pressure until it ignites in the combustion chamber (which is the only place you want to see pressure).

Turbo kits have turbos, exhaust manifolds, oil lines, new oil pan, intercooler, waste gate, piping, blow off/by-pass valve, down pipes, and the motor see positive pressure inside.....this causes alot of problems to begin with....one reason you use a MAP sensor instead of the MAF.

Now, with the only thing that moves on the nitrous being the inside of the solenoids.....you have less chance for failure or problems b/c less moving parts and less complications with the motor b/c of the lower temps and no positive pressure.

With all the moving parts on the turbo kits you have potential for oil leaks, boost leaks, turbos loosing pressure, oil scoring the inside of the turbo from not cooling down before shutdown, increased engine temp (using hot exhaust gases to turn the turbos), etc etc.

I'm not knocking turbos....I have had them myself....just trying to show some of you guys that its not all gravy when you slap a kit on. As you can see from the links, alot of these guys are having some valid issues. Nothing I would want to put up with if I go fast only 1% of the month. If you mash the gas every chance you get....then turbo is more for you. You'll have to deal with everyday problems such as the ones I mentioned and spend a grip on things to accommodate the turbos (fuel system, better EMS, etc). Going fast ain't cheap. Just have to figure out which fits your needs better.

And trust me....turbos on non-turbo (from the factory) cars have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more problems than nitrous on any car.....any way you cut it. Its just a fact. Been building cars for the better part of 12 years.

holla back
Old 10-31-2006, 06:24 AM
PPW Z33

Originally Posted by Old School
Lets put things in perspective shall we. Nitrous has 2 or 3 solenoids...usually. A bottle and steel braided lines. Relays, and some switches. Nitrous cools the intake temp big time and shows no positive pressure until it ignites in the combustion chamber (which is the only place you want to see pressure).

Turbo kits have turbos, exhaust manifolds, oil lines, new oil pan, intercooler, waste gate, piping, blow off/by-pass valve, down pipes, and the motor see positive pressure inside.....this causes alot of problems to begin with....one reason you use a MAP sensor instead of the MAF.

Now, with the only thing that moves on the nitrous being the inside of the solenoids.....you have less chance for failure or problems b/c less moving parts and less complications with the motor b/c of the lower temps and no positive pressure.

With all the moving parts on the turbo kits you have potential for oil leaks, boost leaks, turbos loosing pressure, oil scoring the inside of the turbo from not cooling down before shutdown, increased engine temp (using hot exhaust gases to turn the turbos), etc etc.

I'm not knocking turbos....I have had them myself....just trying to show some of you guys that its not all gravy when you slap a kit on. As you can see from the links, alot of these guys are having some valid issues. Nothing I would want to put up with if I go fast only 1% of the month. If you mash the gas every chance you get....then turbo is more for you. You'll have to deal with everyday problems such as the ones I mentioned and spend a grip on things to accommodate the turbos (fuel system, better EMS, etc). Going fast ain't cheap. Just have to figure out which fits your needs better.

And trust me....turbos on non-turbo (from the factory) cars have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more problems than nitrous on any car.....any way you cut it. Its just a fact. Been building cars for the better part of 12 years.

holla back
I agree, spray when ran right is actually good for the engine in cooling IAT, im actually looking into 50-75 on my NA tuned RSX. Havnt looked into any spray for the Z yet though, I figure it could handle a tiny bit more with the extra cylinders but would never want to push the envelop with it.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:26 AM
plumpzz

The best part about spray is the huge amount of torque you get at 3000-4500 rpm. Im just scared to run anything that crazy :-D
Old 10-31-2006, 06:31 AM
chimmike

teh bottle is for people who aren't man enough for the always-available power of boost

you can't compare boost to nitrous on this board either......killer as very few run nitrous vs how many run boost.

plus, who wants to spend $35-40 a pop each time that bottle runs out? Knock out the initial cost of FI and all your other maintenance is gas and oil, just like any other car

Oh, and I'll take your nitrous torque at 3000-4500 and raise it with that of my ST setup.

P.S........my turbo setup has given me 15k miles of reliable fun, mountain jaunts in NC where nitrous would suck, etc. but boost just keeps it going, many trips, and good gas mileage.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:29 AM
MIAPLAYA

Um a lot of people had issues with nitrous back fires and rods being bent in the early days of this board. Almost no one on this board evne uses nitrous anymore. If you are going to take a sampling of issues you should refernce number of cars with turbo or supercharger kits so your post aren't blatantly biased. I would like to know how many people run nitrous only here? Lets be generous and say 65. Now lets look at the F/I installed cars.There are 315 Zs on this board alone that have turbo or supercharger kits. Of course if there are 5 times the number of boosted cars then nitrous cars (being generous again) you will see more people with issues. Although most of them or install or tuning issues anyways. If you think nitrous can out perform a turbo or supercharger on the track then I might as well stop posting now. but if you are going to post your "research" you should post correct info.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:40 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Um a lot of people had issues with nitrous back fires and rods being bent in the early days of this board. Almost no one on this board evne uses nitrous anymore. If you are going to take a sampling of issues you should refernce number of cars with turbo or supercharger kits so your post aren't blatantly biased. I would like to know how many people run nitrous only here? Lets be generous and say 65. Now lets look at the F/I installed cars.There are 315 Zs on this board alone that have turbo or supercharger kits. Of course if there are 5 times the number of boosted cars then nitrous cars (being generous again) you will see more people with issues. Although most of them or install or tuning issues anyways. If you think nitrous can out perform a turbo or supercharger on the track then I might as well stop posting now. but if you are going to post your "research" you should post correct info.

First of all. I was talking about nitrous and turbo in general. I have had more cars with turbo than nitrous...so how can my post be bias in that aspect? I am merely stating facts. I also go on to say if you drive hard all the time, maybe turbo is for you. I love how ppl on this board just make sh*t up. When did I ever say nitrous can outperform turbo? Not only that, but damn, so many setups and so many different options when it comes to both setups. Are we talking Single turbo? What about twin? What about progressive controller? Direct port? The list goes on. I can make the nitrous act like boost with a progressive controller (coming on slowly like a turbo would spool). So you comment about which is faster really boils down to how extreme you want to go. If you don't know that, you haven't been doing this as long as I have. ONE OF MY TURBO'd CARS has been in the shop for more issues related to the turbo than all my nitrous cars combined. Granted back then we didn't have the technology we do now, but I see the same problems on went through on this board in the FI section everyday. So having been on both sides of the track....do you think I'd really just make sh*t up????????? Give me a break.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:50 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Originally Posted by chimmike
teh bottle is for people who aren't man enough for the always-available power of boost

you can't compare boost to nitrous on this board either......killer as very few run nitrous vs how many run boost.

plus, who wants to spend $35-40 a pop each time that bottle runs out? Knock out the initial cost of FI and all your other maintenance is gas and oil, just like any other car

Oh, and I'll take your nitrous torque at 3000-4500 and raise it with that of my ST setup.

P.S........my turbo setup has given me 15k miles of reliable fun, mountain jaunts in NC where nitrous would suck, etc. but boost just keeps it going, many trips, and good gas mileage.
When you learn how to type english. Post again. I'm not man enough to have turbo...lol. Been there done that....you're just playing catch up. Good gas mileage? lol. Its flat here....and I drive like a grandma most of the time. I spend $30 to fill the bottle. Not only that but til fill it 3-4 times a year...is that really a big strain on your wallet when you just dropped $6k on a turbo kit. I think not. You guys are gonna have to think of something better than OMG ITS $35 to fill the bottle. Come on.... If its good enough for the WWII pilots, its good enough for me.

PS - half the guys I know running ST are pushing between 380-450hp...You just spent $10Gs + to do that, when I just spent $1200. =P

Last edited by Old School; 10-31-2006 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:55 AM
chimmike

Originally Posted by Old School
When you learn how to type english. Post again.

My post was in English. If you have a problem reading it, put your glasses on or go back to school.

You spent $1200 on your kit + $30+ each time you fill the bottle.

I didn't spend any 10k on my turbo kit...not even close. Try 4300. I didn't need bolt ons either, like intake/header/cams to really take advantage of the turbo like you probably did.

It's flat here, too. I get 25mpg+ on the highway, not using the trip computer POS.

And again, I don't care how many turbo cars you've owned, your claims have no research info and are clearly biased.

Boost is always there, always available, and doesn't cost $30-40 each week to fill a bottle. Besides the fact that I have all my hatch space still available to me.

WTH does a nitrous fed airplane have to do with cars? Have you ever flown a plane before? Are you a licensed pilot? Tell me how you think an additional 50hp would feel in an airplane that already has 1000+ like many of the WW2 fighters.

Just don't make biased posts and act like you're stating facts.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:52 PM
ct350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is getting good...hehehe
Old 10-31-2006, 02:33 PM
Old School
Shift_Boost

My post was in English. If you have a problem reading it, put your glasses on or go back to school.

Explain that to me if you speak english....I'm still trying to understand it.

You spent $1200 on your kit + $30+ each time you fill the bottle.

How many times have i filled the bottle?? ONE! How many times will I fill it this year....ONE! How many times next year? FOUR. Add that up and I bet I spend more on sushi in a week.

I didn't spend any 10k on my turbo kit...not even close. Try 4300. I didn't need bolt ons either, like intake/header/cams to really take advantage of the turbo like you probably did.

I'm sorry, but you didn't spend $4300 for the turbo kit, install, tune, and the rest of the stuff you have to buy to support a turbo system with a decent amout of power (fuel system, management). Any why on earth would you need to put on bolt ons to take advantage of nitrous? Put a stock Z on the dyno with a NX kit and I bet you YOUR POWER output will exceed the claimed shot (i.e. 100 shot). You sound like an 12 yr old man. Did you take debate yet? lol.

It's flat here, too. I get 25mpg+ on the highway, not using the trip computer POS.

I don't buy that for a second. My turbo accord got sh*t for gas mileage and thats a 4 banger. My supra got sh*tty mpg as well...but that car was more of a track car than anything.

And again, I don't care how many turbo cars you've owned, your claims have no research info and are clearly biased.

No research? lol. How old are you? You have to be kidding me. How many problems have you or your friends run into when building, running, testing a turbo setup? I'm sorry, but THIS board is not the hear all see all of the import car world. You can read all you want, but to experience things first hand is a totally different thing. So you can stop your subscription to TURBO, SCC, or SS. Time to get out there and have some new sh*t happen to you bub. lol. Sad part is, no one was knocking anything until you came along. Take your teenie booper butt back to the FI section. Your turbo may be running ok now, but you definately have some screws loose buckwheat! lol.

Boost is always there, always available, and doesn't cost $30-40 each week to fill a bottle. Besides the fact that I have all my hatch space still available to me.

Here we go again about filling the bottle. Everything has pros and cons. You still haven't thought of anything else to say have you? Read my thread again, just so you understand. I advise ppl that mash the gas all the time to get a turbo if they want. I don't fill the bottle every week. Unlike you, I don't need to experience gobs of power everytime I go the grocery store or on my way to work in traffic. I am a grown man and have self control. I'll state it again just so we're clear....I'll fill the bottle MAYBE 3-4 times a year. Get it yet? The "BIG" cost you're tripping about is only $120 a year. I spend more on oil changes. I get tired of arguing with ignorant ppl. *sigh*

WTH does a nitrous fed airplane have to do with cars? Have you ever flown a plane before? Are you a licensed pilot? Tell me how you think an additional 50hp would feel in an airplane that already has 1000+ like many of the WW2 fighters.

Have you ever heard of an Aeronca? Probably not. Selling my plane now. You got $45k laying around? You can buy it. lol. I store it in my hanger in Brookshire. You obviously don't know your history. Another sign of either being young or stupid. lol. WWII pilots had nitrous equipped on planes suchas P-51 Mustangs, Hose Nose (Corsair - my fav), Spitfires, BF-109s, A-26s...the list goes on. They called it WEP (war emergency power). Believe it or not, they'd run the nitrous for roughly 2-5 minutes. It helped you gain altitude faster, outrun an enemy, or give you that extra boost in a dog fight. Actually did help quite a bit (just ask my great uncle). if it wasn't for nitrous being in planes....you would have never heard of it being in cars. And all that was, was a comment. Do you take offense to everything everyone says? jeez. Any other smart@$$ comments there bub?

Just don't make biased posts and act like you're stating facts.[/QUOTE]

Anymore facts you want me to bring to your attention? You obviously have no clue what a FACT is. Look it up www.dictionary.com
Old 10-31-2006, 02:40 PM
Old School
Shift_Boost

So back to the subject. Does anyone have anything constructive to say? MIAPLAYA had some good points. Anyone else?
Old 10-31-2006, 02:41 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys are hilarious...

why do the nitrous and F/I guys have to knock each other?

I have some legit questions about nitrous...

is there any way to make it not come "instant-on" ... can it be done gradually, or is a 100 shot a 100 shot anyway you cut it?
Old 10-31-2006, 02:46 PM
plumpzz

Lol someone is getting angry.
I wish i had the money for either. I wont knock on either, but its pretty easy to say that nitrous is a lot better for quarter mile IF they're both just as reliable. The spray isn't increasing linearly with the RPMs so you get the same amount of nitrous at 3000 rpm as you do at redline, thats why the torque spikes early and drops off at higher rpms.
If you had nitrous out of the whole with turbo in the upper gears= bliss!
Old 10-31-2006, 02:59 PM
NightShade

Answer to Wired's question...
Old 10-31-2006, 03:29 PM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think nitrous is good for people who don't want extra stress on their motors all the time. It has the reliability of N/A as long as you don't use it quite often.

If you are power hungry, point, click and purchase that turbo/supercharger kit.

Quick Reply: Just a couple reason why turbo=headache & nitrous=fun