Notices
Nitrous Oxide Too soon, jr.

The big bad nitrous post

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 05:47 PM
McDan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EXHIBIT B

And now EXHIBIT B with a pin pointing to the solder short.

I rest my case.

Dan McClanahan
Electrical Engineer
Attached Thumbnails The big bad nitrous post-zex_shortnear.jpg  
Old 05-30-2003, 10:56 PM
gotti

Wow.....Sounds like Zex is out for the money and not for the customer.....I hate companies like that.....Fight em till the end man!!!!
Old 06-03-2003, 08:42 AM
dnguyen

Originally posted by MaxHax
I understand but according to ZEX it's a non issue so what proof do you have of this occuring; that is what I am getting at before I pull my plugs because there isn't any other plugs available that are two degrees off so you are out of spec on your plugs according to everything I have read and according to ZEX Specs.

So you avoided what you can't confirm is a problem yet (but may indeed be) and created another real one by using the wrong plug to spray?

So back to square one and question one.

At what temp does this "melting" occur?

This is a good thread that will benefit all!

Thanks,

Max
Here is what STLZ is trying to say:

Because the threads have such sharp corners, the heat may melt that exposed section. STLZ was just trying to convey that message.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:55 AM
12SecZ

He also said this,

I will talk to my tech and get better information. I will post back next weak.
Never happened yet he found time to slam me the day my brother died using my real last name in another thread on N20
I owe him one for that, paybacks a bitc*

And this

Now you got it.. It is the thread on the block that will melt... Not at what temp but when. I would say a 1,000 miles maybe more..
Explain how time not heat will reach 2880 degress and melt exposed aluminum?

I have emailed ZEX this thread, go to the source, let's see if they man up or dispute. Hopefull one or the other because I like their kit. I hope they chime in because Summit Racing Tech's disagree with the melting too.
Old 06-04-2003, 04:52 AM
McDan

I have emailed ZEX this thread, go to the source, let's see if they man up or dispute. Hopefull one or the other because I like their kit. I hope they chime in because Summit Racing Tech's disagree with the melting too.
You're not the only one who's e-mailed ZEX this thread. Looks like they've got two answers to "man up" to. However, I also like their kit, and generally they probably don't have problems with the unit. However, their customer support really sucks. "Sure, we'll fix it, just send it back for yet another week and we'll look at it and return it again possibly fixed instead of a new unit."

As far as the sparkplug threading's concerned, I highly doubt the threads are gonna deteriorate. However, they may get clogged up with soot, especially with the added fuel for the nitrous, and especially if the mixure is somewhat rich to combat engine knock. I would not except any plug that is not the stock size, but that's just me. I guess the shorter colder plugs are probably safer overall than the stock sized/temperature plugs.

Dan
Old 06-04-2003, 09:04 AM
12SecZ

Hi McDan sorry to here about your woes.

Are you dealin with Wade or Joey directly?

I got three email replies in on eday yesterday!

Here is the gist of their answer about their plugs, can't comment on the solder issue are they hand or machine soldered? You're the expert there I can understand one module going bad stuff happens but I can not justify what you have went through.

Having said that here is the final email response to my plug question from one of their top techs.

Me (3rd email)
Can you define "not working" mine work, and no one else makes one yet for our car. I had Summit Racing Tech's research this for 10 minutes on the phone today and the only one close is NGK's one degree colder not two and that is a two week special order. Should I go with that one and pull yours out? Will your threads "melt because they are too short?" Thanks
Them

By not working I mean - reduces the car's performance, causes erratic idling, creates misfire at RPM, etc. I would not continue to use them if any of these are occurring. If the threads in the head melt, you would have had some other problem that caused it. The heads have water passages that dissipates heat, the plug utilizes the head's cooling properties as somewhat of a heat sink. The maximum temps only occur during the power stroke after ignition, which is only a portion of the four strokes. The time during intake and exhaust strokes allow for cooling in a properly tuned engine. If your engine is ran extremely lean, damage to pistons, valves, and any other weak link may occur.
FYI, My car or the Z in general runs fat not lean.

Tomorow I Dyno stock pulley's at 9am. If it still falls on it's face at 4k rpm's that just leaves plugs, if not Dyno's will be posted!

I'm that close!
Old 06-07-2003, 03:35 AM
McDan

Default I'M UP AND RUNNING!!!

I'm finally up and running with a 55 shot. I went ahead and hooked up the MSD window switch (which works good) using 3200-6400 rpm pills and one degree colder NGK plugs. I finally got through to Summit Racing and they sent me a brand new unit. This unit worked great on the first try!!! If only I could have avoided the extra 20 hours of troubleshooting the bad unit caused.

My set up is:
ZEX 82021P wet kit
Zex bottle heater
NGK 3672 sparkplugs (1 degree colder)
55 hp jets for now, hoping to dyno today on the 75 jets when able to check air/fuel mixture
Probably lots of left out information.

Can seems to run great. BIG difference in power for only 55 little horsies.

Dan
Old 06-07-2003, 08:14 AM
12SecZ

Awesome! Same plugs and kit as me and I have the heater too, you will need it for multiple runs.

You will want to change the jets very soon

Nice to start low but once you are addicted 75 or less BAH!

75 is optimum I think, with tires your 12's.
Old 06-07-2003, 03:53 PM
McDan

Awesome! Same plugs and kit as me and I have the heater too, you will need it for multiple runs.

You will want to change the jets very soon

Nice to start low but once you are addicted 75 or less BAH!

75 is optimum I think, with tires your 12's.
I dyno'd the car today. Made 303.5rwhp and 331.7 lb.ft with 75hp jets in. Air/Fuel ratio looked very good (tad rich). I'll post the charts sometime soon. Procharger Z was up there to, but I'll save details for another post.

Dan
Old 06-07-2003, 04:49 PM
Edretti

WOW! After an hour of reading this entire post my eyes hurt! Very great info Madmax, McDan and O2. Myself (as others) appreciate all of your dedication to this thread. Ok, I'm ready to get a zex kit for my G. Can anyone tell me how much you guys spent on this kit and who do you recommend I buy it from. I don't feel like going back but I think someone mentioned summit racing. Again thanks for all the info and hopefully I can join the N20 club soon!
Old 06-09-2003, 02:34 AM
02trex

Edretti, I ordered mine from impactparts.com for about $590.00.

McDan, I'm happy to see you got it running.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:42 AM
12SecZ

Call ZEX and give them your zip code and they will give you authorized dealers nearby. Chepaer than buying directly from them.

McDan great job!

I'm still fat on the fuel side with a 28 jet but I have a 26 on hand.

Saying goodbye to my brother today in 5 hours then it's back to business.

Till then Peas and live each day like it's your last because you never know, it could be!

Max, 39 years old.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:19 AM
Edretti

First of all, my condolences to you MaxHax. Secondly, what ever happened with the dyno runs and stuff.

Tomorow I Dyno stock pulley's at 9am. If it still falls on it's face at 4k rpm's that just leaves plugs, if not Dyno's will be posted!
If I recall correctly you were the one that had problems with the Unorthodox ur pulleys and nos. I have a set that I never installed due to your post. Was just curious where you were with this if it was you so I can decide if I want to even try to install these or not on my G. I am definitely buying the zex kit but don't know about the pulleys.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:26 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I didn't read every post in this thread since I have no intentions of using N2O, but there was soemthing about the initial post that started this thread that bothers me.

I, being of sound mind, and having a technical background (electrical and physics), need to clarify something that was wrong in the initial post in this thread.

Oxygen does not burn, it never will ! If it did, we would all be screwed, and people wouldn't be smoking cigarettes, cigars, or whatever else people put into their lungs...

Oxygen is required for any flammable substance to burn, but Oxygen itself is NOT flammable !

Everything else in this thread and the inital post was very informative, and I like to see how "fast and furious" people get with their Z's...mine will remain stock, and I am happy with it that way.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:24 AM
12SecZ

I posted the numbers the N20 and the Pulley's ran fine, it was the plugs. I was supposed to pick up all my Dyno sheets Monday and forgot relatives were coming over so now I am waiting for my day off because work is getting hectic and I have a new project going.

The oulley's are good. Switched to stock and got the same bad reults and low numbers like a misfire almost, switching to NGK 1 heat range cooler solved all my problems.

I have all the runs just need time the Dyno shop is like 45 60 minutes from here.

If your worried about installing the pullies don't be.
Old 06-12-2003, 04:59 AM
Edretti

Thanks Max! I shall proceed with the pulleys today.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:00 AM
Edretti

Thanks Max! I shall proceed with the pulleys. Ordere my Zex kit yesterday so I eagerly await my new mod! Once again I appreciate all the feed back and responses.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:08 AM
12SecZ

No problem.

Stock Pulley and UR pulley with ZEX spraying N20 both had exact same results like 220HP 360 TQ and after pulling the plugs they were smoked.

The ZEX plugs have a triple electrode and NGK has a single one, this and the shorter size (about 1/4 inch) confuse the ECU in to thinking it's misfiring at about 4k the signal breaks up stock and UR pulley's.

On the motor runs I gained 9HP but this was based on my original run done at 1500 miles and the gain was done at 6500 miles.

Then again it was about 20 degrees hotter too.

My Z is now at the dealer having the body kit and new rims put on.

ZEX knows the plugs are the culprit and have read this thread. The Manager is on vacation, when he returns he will address the pics I sent him of over heated plugs and hopefully reimburse me.

Glad I could help everyone! Let's see some time slips soon!
Old 06-12-2003, 11:44 PM
cyberz350

Wow, information overload, my eyes hurt, there should be a warning on this thread, " Do not read in one sitting". Thank you guys for all the info. I'm going to go to bed now and repost tomorrow when I finish comprehending it all.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:00 AM
cyberz350

Okay, I'm back, just to clarify some things:

1. Zex bad and NGKs good?

2. Does anyone worry about hitting fuel cutoff while squeezin?

3. Did you guys do anything to upgrade the fuel system? or is our system sufficient.

Quick Reply: The big bad nitrous post