Notices
Nitrous Oxide Too soon, jr.

Edelbrock nitrous kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 12:36 PM
Anthony Mantovani

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edelbrock nitrous kit

I read an article about the edelbrock nitrous kit designed and tuned specifically for the Z. It comes with 60, 90 and 125hp jets. They were able to get 352whp out of it. I'm guessing using the 125 jets. It is a dry kit so i'm not sure how safe it will be on our car. I know most of you are running n/x kits, what do you think of this kit and has anyone got a price for it? If you go to the edelbrock web page they list the part number. Here is a link to there web site.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...act/index.html
Old 07-24-2004, 01:04 PM
cyberz350

I dunno about dry kits man. In all the research I've done on nitrous kits, "wet" kits were always viewed as safer.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:23 PM
LaPuLaPu

I read the exact same article from Turbo magazine and after reading it made me want to swap out my NOS wet kit for their dry kit. I too did my research before finally deciding on going with the wet kit. The outcome from my research is no dry kit in the market addressed adding more fuel. Supposedly, Edelbrock’s dry kit comes with some kind of piggyback that will add fuel thru the factory injectors, maybe increase the duty cycle.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:03 PM
MySunset350Z

how much of a beating will the stock injectors be able to handle before they go. not a good idea. its a dry setup, but it puts a huge load on ur injectors and pump to make up for it. the more complicated you make it the more likely something is to go wrong.

im sure the pump can handle a 125 shot, but your pushing it with the stock injectors. stick to a wet kit man'g.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:44 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I sent an email to Edelbrock and asked them for more information about their kit.

Their reply: "Thank you for your interest in the nitrous kit. We are experiencing high demand."

Nothing else.

WTF ???

I'm an experienced finance guy, and I know from experience that Edelbrock is measuring their success with this kit based on DEALER ORDERS. I call it filling the pipe.

Often after the pipe is filled, comes the true test of whether customer demand truly exists for a manufacturer's product.

Based on Edelbrocks stupid reply (=POOR customer service) to my email, I would NOT bet on strong demand from Nissan 350Z owners for their Nitrous Kit.

Last edited by JCat; 08-28-2004 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:29 PM
JCat
---------------

Update on ordering this kit: It is backordered until November 11th.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:58 PM
basam350z

Cool, let us know how it goes when you have it installed. Also, do you know how fuel is handed with different anmoutns of nitrous?
Old 09-26-2004, 07:13 PM
JCat
---------------

From reading various magazine articles I've surmised the following:

The Edlebrock kit interfaces with the ECU. Supposedly it monitors certain measurements like RPM's, temperature, speed, maybe exhaust. It then tells the ECU how much gas to use.

It sounds wonderful......but I plan on testing it very carefully. I wouldn't want to damage or break anything.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:50 AM
mpowers

I would like to see what the duty cycle of the injector is at the 100 shot as well as the a/f ratio. I would also like to know how they are adding more fuel ie controlling injector pulse which I doubt or by fooling a coolant temp sensor making the computer think the engine is cold thus adding more fuel.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:27 AM
JCat
---------------

I just received the Edelbrock Nitrous System. Out of the box, it promises 75 extra horsepower for $621 (+ Nitrous gas).

The kit came with a WOT module and a Fuel enrichment module. Each needs to be wired into the -Z-'s electrical system.

Attached is the wiring diagram for the Fuel Enrichment System. Can anyone tell me or guess by looking at this how the Fuel Enrichment Module MIGHT work?

Thank you.

Here is a link to the document:

Edelbrock Fuel Management Module
Attached Thumbnails Edelbrock nitrous kit-edelbrock_1.jpg  
Old 10-03-2004, 10:15 AM
mpowers

At first look it looks like it makes the coolant temp sensor reads a cooler temp causing the car to run rich, i.e causing the car to think its on a cold start up. Gonna copy the file and find out what it tapping into.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:47 PM
mpowers

After printing it out it apears to be turn on the fuel enrichment module with the ecm relay. It also intercepts the air flow meter and tell the computer there is more air than there really is the enrich the fuel and with the engine coolant temp sensor with the same theory would allow for the extra fuel for the dry set up. Do you have more of the wiring diag. Such as is there a switch to turn on the Fuel Enrichment module? And do you have a way to monitor a/f or plan to dyno soon? This system may appeal to more folks who do not want to have a large shot and deal fuel puddling. jcn let know more!
Old 10-04-2004, 05:55 PM
JCat
---------------

I scanned what I thought were relevent pages from the Edelbrock installation manual. Warning, it is a 3.2MB pdf:

http://jcn30127.home.comcast.net/Edelbrock_1.pdf
Old 10-04-2004, 07:14 PM
6speedsedan

I wonder if this setup would work on a G35 6-speed sedan. Probably only if the ecu is the same. Anybody know?
Old 10-04-2004, 09:41 PM
shopdog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by jcn30127
I just received the Edelbrock Nitrous System. Out of the box, it promises 75 extra horsepower for $621 (+ Nitrous gas).

The kit came with a WOT module and a Fuel enrichment module. Each needs to be wired into the -Z-'s electrical system.

Attached is the wiring diagram for the Fuel Enrichment System. Can anyone tell me or guess by looking at this how the Fuel Enrichment Module MIGHT work?

[/URL]
Ok, it is doing two things. The first thing it is doing is faking the coolant temperature sensor reading to make the ECU go into open loop cold start mode. Second, it is faking the MAF sensor to make the ECU think the engine is drawing more air than it actually is. This causes the ECU to move to the richest part of its fuel map.

This isn't a very good system. It is depending on the cold start fuel map in the ECU, which may not be at all optimized for a nitrous shot (in fact for sure that map isn't optimized for any particular shot), and fooling the MAF sensor runs out of steam at about 310 RWHP because it limits at 5 volts.

Now Technosquare might be able to reprogram the map to get the mixture right at a specific shot level, but then it'll be wrong when you aren't spraying. There's not much way you're going to do anything about the MAF limit though. That's a hardware limit.

The *correct* way to do a dry shot on the 350Z is to use a piggyback controller such as the eManage to control the injectors to give you the proper amount of fuel for a given shot size. Even that would be tricky to program, and would only be right for one particular shot size. And if you push up into large shot size territory, the stock injectors can't flow enough fuel, so you'd need to swap in larger injectors too. (This is what the twin turbo boys are having to do.)

Doing all that is complicated and expensive for a system that's only going to be called on to work for a few seconds once in a while. That's why nearly everyone says to use a wet kit. You can easily adapt it for different shot sizes simply by changing jets, and you can juggle jet sizes on a dyno to get a perfect A/F ratio at any given shot size. Simple, safe, cheap. Can't beat it.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:43 PM
shopdog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 6speedsedan
I wonder if this setup would work on a G35 6-speed sedan. Probably only if the ecu is the same. Anybody know?
The ECU is the same, but see my other reply as to why you probably don't want to do a dry shot on the VQ35 engine.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:39 AM
mpowers

jcn, if you in cobb county (atlanta) if you like when you do get it installed. I would like to get with you to check out the duty cycle of the injectors. I am in Savannah.

shop dog , this kit should work very well. Running a large shot of wet nitrous is not very safe with our plenum design, at least when you run a nozzle style set up. For as long as the system does not overrun the injectors this would be safe, and effective way of getting some extra power. Granted you will be limited to a 100 shot (assuming thats when the injectors start to max out).
Old 10-05-2004, 08:10 AM
JCat
---------------

I plan on testing it for HP increase AND air/fuel on a dyno.

The box that it came in say's it is for a G35 as well.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:40 PM
RedondoG

Default Venom has a similar system

Venom has a system that works in a similar manner, but I don't have any info on exactly how it works.icon4:
see;
http://www.venom-performance.com/nf/...tallmanual.pdf

I don't know why I can't make the link work--you'll have to c&p.

Last edited by RedondoG; 10-05-2004 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:25 PM
ChromiumBlue

i read that article too, i think it says it only got 352 whp with 100 octane fuel. i think you guys should check out the ny-trex kit from ny-trex.com, says its the most complete kit, presentations a bit cartoony. I dont know, I want ZEX, NX, Edel, I dont know. Theres too big a choice.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock nitrous kit