Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

Detroit Area Z List part 3

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 07:32 AM
lbk16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No offense taken. I did a bunch of research before I bought the kit. At the time, there was no 370Z kit. The Subaru community absolutely loves Racing Brake - I have a WRX as well. So, I took the plunge. Basically, I think the rotor design is great, but I feel that the calipers are too small and do not have enough pad for the 350Z. Try to prove that - If these pads don't do the trick, I will definitely push the issue with the manufacturer and ask for a full refund - then I will go with the 370Z kit. I really like the 2 piece rotors, however, but at 13 inches, they are probably too small.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:11 PM
AznSky

so uhh.....I suck because it took me 3 hrs to swap my rear shocks and springs.....completely by myself though.

I wonder how long it's gonna take me to do the fronts lol.........
Old 09-27-2009, 02:03 PM
ODEHBOY

sup guys, just picked up yet another Z. and i got some questions. It's my first HR so mods will be different.

I was reading that intakes aren't **** on the HR so i guess i won't be needing those, should i just swap them out with K&N's?

What kind of mods would u guys put on the HR? i really don't kno what to put? It came with the Agency power single, but i will be taking that out, gimme ur input thanks..

Heres a quick picture:

maybe we can get a meet together this time, since im in the Z scene again.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:54 AM
07pearlwhiteZ

Originally Posted by ODEHBOY
sup guys, just picked up yet another Z. and i got some questions. It's my first HR so mods will be different.

I was reading that intakes aren't **** on the HR so i guess i won't be needing those, should i just swap them out with K&N's?

What kind of mods would u guys put on the HR? i really don't kno what to put? It came with the Agency power single, but i will be taking that out, gimme ur input thanks..

Heres a quick picture:

maybe we can get a meet together this time, since im in the Z scene again.
Honestly, test pipes and a shortened final drive were the 2 best mods I did when I had my HR. The shortened final drive almost makes it feel like a different car.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:12 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
Default fade... ducting

I remembered the thread that another local MI guy posted in the road racing section about making some brake ducts to counter brake fade.. So, these Carbotechs may perform well with the proper ventilation.. the Z just doesn't have that airflow in stock form.

https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-r...r-the-zed.html

May have to look into some fab work next year too.. Guess I'll have to see how the Brembos perfrom after they are installed and go from there. The list keep getting longer.. lol.

oil cooler, catch can, brake ducts, temp gauges, roll-bar/harness bar, harnesses, seats, rebuild wheels, more tires, and on to the suspension... I think I need 2 more jobs.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:37 PM
lbk16

I was thinking about adding brake ducts this winter as well. I have one more track day left at Gingerman - we will see how the DTC-60s fare.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:39 PM
ODEHBOY

This is how winter is looking for my Z

Old 10-01-2009, 05:02 AM
Datona Jess

Steve, that looks fairly straightforward to do.
I would be interested in helping on that just to see how it works.

You do have alot of on your list of things to do there man...
Man is it cold out...who is up for one more event before the covers go on for the winter?
Old 10-01-2009, 06:20 AM
thekinn

As far as the ducting - yeah. I just don't know where to get most of the parts, like the rivets, the scrap aluminum, the heavy-duty screen material.. and what kind of bit to use to drill into the aluminum.. No hurry though.

As far as events - what type? I'm signed up for 3balls Gingerman Sat. 10/17. Aside from that - I'll let you pick the day.. Mr. Ihavetobailbecauseofworkblahblah.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:47 AM
lbk16

They guy that posted is local. In fact, he attended a 3balls event at Grattan. We should pm him for info on the parts. I have a huge garage (950 sq. ft.) and some space heaters if we wanted to attempt a duct project this winter.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:19 PM
mekatoka

Originally Posted by lbk16
They guy that posted is local. In fact, he attended a 3balls event at Grattan. We should pm him for info on the parts. I have a huge garage (950 sq. ft.) and some space heaters if we wanted to attempt a duct project this winter.
I would be interested in any projects in the winter as well. I want to learn
Old 10-04-2009, 03:20 PM
skingy

does anyone here have any experience in working with carbon fiber pieces? i picked up a pair of front seibon carbon fenders, and fitment isn't so great. i didn't expect it to be... but i've heard a heat gun can be used (gently, of course) to make parts a bit more pliable for fitment? anyone have any tips?
Old 10-04-2009, 05:51 PM
ODEHBOY

Any of you kno a place or kno how to install gears? thinkin of pickin some up, but don't want my friends to do it, I mean they prolly kno how, but they all have mustangs, And theirs too much whine, I think they did it wrong lol.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:50 AM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by skingy
does anyone here have any experience in working with carbon fiber pieces? i picked up a pair of front seibon carbon fenders, and fitment isn't so great. i didn't expect it to be... but i've heard a heat gun can be used (gently, of course) to make parts a bit more pliable for fitment? anyone have any tips?
Yikes! Have you checked directly with Seibon? Any pics with the fitment issues?
Old 10-05-2009, 05:41 AM
skingy

i have checked with a few seibon vendors here, and am waiting to hear back. the guy i got it from (on the marketplace) has quite a bit of experience with cf before. he said the mounting tabs can either have new holes drilled if they're just a little bit off, or the tabs can be dremeled off and re-fiberglassed in a new spot. the driver's side fender is on the car now - i'll take pics tonight before i take it back off. all the body lines look extremely close, so it's a good fender - it's just going to take a good afternoon of 'work' to get it to fit - moving, adjusting, and finessing with the tabs. but they're bad-azz fenders! they're the 10mm wider ones with the metal mesh vents.

i'm either going to get a couple quotes from some local body shops to see what they want, or learn how to work with fiberglass and do it myself this next spring.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:13 AM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by skingy
i have checked with a few seibon vendors here, and am waiting to hear back. the guy i got it from (on the marketplace) has quite a bit of experience with cf before. he said the mounting tabs can either have new holes drilled if they're just a little bit off, or the tabs can be dremeled off and re-fiberglassed in a new spot. the driver's side fender is on the car now - i'll take pics tonight before i take it back off. all the body lines look extremely close, so it's a good fender - it's just going to take a good afternoon of 'work' to get it to fit - moving, adjusting, and finessing with the tabs. but they're bad-azz fenders! they're the 10mm wider ones with the metal mesh vents.

i'm either going to get a couple quotes from some local body shops to see what they want, or learn how to work with fiberglass and do it myself this next spring.
I'm not sure how difficult it is to "add" a tab. Does the old tab prevent you from installing it? (In otherwords, it is in the way.) If it is a matter of a bolt hole in the body to line up with the tab, it is easier to drill and tap a new hole in the body than to relocate a tab.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:57 AM
skingy

most tabs are just slightly off, so it's no problem to drill a hole and use the existing tab that's there. one tab (the one you get to inside the door) is way off, and it's a thin tab to begin with... i'm not sure i'd want to compromise the structural integrity of drilling more.

the more i think about it, the more i think i need to find a local shop with experience in getting carbon parts to 'fit' well. this will be a spring project. nothing i'll finish now. i may even gather up more carbon pieces before i go, and have them do it all at once.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:09 AM
Datona Jess

Those sound AWESOME!

I would suggest STENOD performance in Rochester
Dude those guys can do ANYTHING...
I also know they have worked on 350Z's before.

Body work, is NOT my specialty I pay for that

ODEHBOY-dud the Rear diff on these is a matrix of pain. I know that Ian 07 Pikes Peak had his done locally, I would find out from him where he went.
I have done Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, GN, rears I was awed by how weird the Nissan rear is..take it to a professional
Old 10-06-2009, 02:42 PM
thekinn

I think Ian went to Street Legal Customs for the gear install..

07pearlwhiteZ is his username here
Old 10-06-2009, 05:56 PM
ODEHBOY

Where's Street legal customs?

Also thanks for the help. Whens the next meet goin down?

Quick Reply: Detroit Area Z List part 3