Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

Detroit Area Z List part 3

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 08:08 AM
mekatoka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Ofcourse there are Z drivers from MI, at least a few had to be passionate about their cars to be on the forums Please drop by to say hello on May 1. If you read up a few messages you will get the details.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:10 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I see a lot of SS brake lines... For those who have not done these before.. it can be pretty messy. Bring a box of latex gloves, lots of disposable rags, and a decent sized board and/or boxes for fluid to drip into. I doubt Brian wants brake fluid all over his driveway.

Also consider where to put/transport your old parts that will be leaking fluid. Thick plastic bags, boxes, etc..

Might want a hose or bucket of water handy in the event of a big accident. Do not wipe brake fluid from a painted surface - it will generally take the paint with it. If you get a little on the caliper, I think it's ok to dab it off until you can hose it down.. just try to avoid wiping or leaving it in contact for an extended period of time.

If you get brake fluid on the rotor or pad, use brake cleaner to get it off - but avoid spraying any brakecleaner on painted or rubber surfaces like the caliper or piston dust boots.

Paranoid yet? don't worry. if you take your time and are prepared to get brake fluid on your latex gloves, tools, and anything else you touch during the process.. you'll be fine.

Originally Posted by AznSky
ok since Brian is super busy with work and traveling, I'll do the honors of listing up the install party info

So current to-do list:

Brian (Phreakdout)
- Adjustable Rear arms
- SPC bolts
- Front studs / spacers
- Rotors / Pads

Rob (Aznsky)
- Pads
- Rotors
- SS Lines
- Fluid Flush

Lee (Sig11)
- Swaybars
- Rattle fix
- SS Lines / Fluid Flush (Possible)
- Coilovers (Possible)

Deepu (Mekatoka)
- Front Brake Pads
- Brake Fluid Flush
- SS Lines
- Rotors (may be, don't know)

HRTeckie (sorry forgot your real name)
- Cusco A-arms
- bilstein coilovers
- eibach rear camber/toe
- possibly exhaust.

Ali........forget it haha

Looks like there's A LOT of stuff to do....a lot of brake stuff. I'm not sure how long that stuff takes, but hopefully it'll be quick. I assume this will be an all day thing, so I guess the earlier we can start the better? I'll let Brian chime in on what he thinks about the work load.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:33 AM
mekatoka

Originally Posted by thekinn
Paranoid yet? don't worry. ...
Are you kidding? Youv'e done a good job at making me think again doing those SS lines.

Pun aside, thanks for the heads up. I will bring the stuff you mentioned.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:19 AM
lbk16

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it. I have a wedding to attend in Boston that weekend. Too bad - would love to do some wrenching (I have no parts of my own to install this time).
Old 04-23-2010, 10:31 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

You just need to be aware of it.. It isn't like acid that's going to burn a hole though anything it touches.. but it isn't as safe as getting 5w30 or water on stuff..

not sure if I can make it yet. g/f has a charity walk that day - I'd like to come out for a few hours at least though.. We'll see.

Last edited by thekinn; 04-23-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:21 PM
sig11

Bleeding/flushing brakes at all worries me. Power bleeder or not... I *HATE* (and fear) bleeding brakes. Just because I remember helping bleed the brakes on our old grain trucks a few times and how annoying it was. Given that our cars are probably a hell of a lot easier... and power bleeders will make it easier still...

I stopped by Averill Racing Stuff today and picked up a helmet... I'm just an inspection away from being ready for my first track day!
Old 04-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Phreakdout

^^ SIG11 = The STIG revealed!!!
Old 04-25-2010, 12:09 PM
h8bumps

Here's a couple pix of the new ride. The truck that delivered it was almost as impressive!!!

Last edited by h8bumps; 04-25-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:11 PM
quinnry2

drove one around last summer and was really impressed with the new vetts.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:36 PM
ivansz

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2010, 04:04 PM
AznSky

maher crazy car man. You gonna come over next Saturday? I wanna ride!
Old 04-25-2010, 04:08 PM
ivansz

hey guys, have anyone on here had a condensation problem with the headlights after blacking them out?

Last edited by ivansz; 04-25-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:55 AM
jeff91ta

Wow, I'm surprised he was able to cut the trailer into your driveway. Vette looks good, can't go wrong with all black.

Where was the car located at?
Old 04-26-2010, 04:01 AM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by ivansz
hello everyone,new guy here from farmington hills.I just found this threat ,I didnt know there was alot Z drivers from MI on this forum.
Welcome Ivan. You'll probably see my car in that area alot. I work in Farmington Hills. Keep tuned in to this forum and join in some of our events. One of the big ones is ZdayZ on May 20th - 23rd. We'll go down as a group and have a heck of a great time. Check out www.zdayz.com for details on the event.

Maher: Awesome Vette my friend! You can't go wrong with that!
Old 04-26-2010, 07:35 AM
ivansz

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
Welcome Ivan. You'll probably see my car in that area alot. I work in Farmington Hills. Keep tuned in to this forum and join in some of our events. One of the big ones is ZdayZ on May 20th - 23rd. We'll go down as a group and have a heck of a great time. Check out www.zdayz.com for details on the event.

Maher: Awesome Vette my friend! You can't go wrong with that!
yes, I've seen your car few times. I have ZR Le Mans you probably see my car, and im in for the events.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:00 AM
sig11

I don't know if y'all caught it, but Aug 7-8th is the Jawbreaker this year. I'm guessing it's fairly close to the same routes as last year. :P
Old 04-26-2010, 10:59 AM
mekatoka

Considering that there is a probability of rain on Friday / Saturday / Sunday does anyone want to consider working on the cars two days in a row for 4 hrs at a time? Wednesday and Thursday both look good.

I can try to leave work early those days and we can start around 4 pm. If this works, may be we can go to that Coffee and Cars meet in Birmingham the Saturday
Old 04-26-2010, 01:02 PM
AznSky

Finished for the semester! Just took my final, realized I mmade some stupid mistakes, but nothing I can do about it now. Time for summer! That means lots of driving and racing
Old 04-26-2010, 01:27 PM
mekatoka

Cool Rob! Are you a full time student now?
Old 04-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by mekatoka
Considering that there is a probability of rain on Friday / Saturday / Sunday does anyone want to consider working on the cars two days in a row for 4 hrs at a time? Wednesday and Thursday both look good.

I can try to leave work early those days and we can start around 4 pm. If this works, may be we can go to that Coffee and Cars meet in Birmingham the Saturday
I was going to take Friday off. Now it's looking like rain too. We'll see what it looks like as we get closer.

Right now, my car is up on all 4 jackstands in the center of the garage. I lost my wheel lock key so I had to remove the lugs the hard way. I may post up a DIY later tonight. My rear tires were toast and I just got a new pair delivered. Since I needed to replace the tires, I decided I'm going to have the chrome blasted off and dipped in muratic acid then powder coated either piano black or metallic black. (I hate matte black. Looks like it was done by spray can.) I also just got the TommyKiara **** and put that on. Now it just needs a trim piece under it. I understand this piece can come from Home Depot's plumbing department.

I removed the front wheel studs and replaced them with longer ones so I can fit my spacers in. Before they go in, I will swap out the rotors with drilled and slotted ones and the OE pads for pads by Hawk.

For the rear, same on the pads and rotors. I will swap out the radius arms with the Wicked Tuning Arms and finally install the toe bolts. The dremel bit I have does love to eat up aluminum so I expect the install to go quickly.

Since the car will be down for a few days, I will remove the front bumper and swap out the headlights with black housings. I'll see if someone can quote respraying the front but I may not have the funds for it right now. So I may have a chipped up front for ZdayZ. If so, I'll pull from the car show.

This weekend, I may swap out the rear bumper for the Tourenn bumper in storage. It would be nice to finally see how that would look.

We'll see on the group install party. Don't give up yet. Today was supposed to be rainy but by 11 am, it was lookin' good. We may just have to delay it to the afternoon. Think positive.

Quick Reply: Detroit Area Z List part 3