Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

2010 MI-350Z Track Days

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 06:00 AM
sig11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice drivin' Steve.

I think I'm going to do the two day NASA @Mid Ohio track day. Are you other guys going to go down for the test and tune Friday or just go Saturday/Sunday? Three days at one track sounds pretty awesome to me. Sharing a hotel room to make it a little cheaper sounds even better.

If you haven't had a NASA annual are you going to get it done up here or at the track? Do you know what they charge at either of the shops up here that can do it, or at the track?
Old 06-21-2010, 06:27 AM
lbk16

Right, but even in the orange group he was slow - which is understandable with a GTR.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:46 AM
mekatoka

Originally Posted by lbk16
Right, but even in the orange group he was slow
Eek ... I was slowest in the group that day. I should have driven in the green that day .. lol

Originally Posted by lbk16
which is understandable with a GTR.
I didn't quite get this? Sarcasm or does it have to do with the gobs of power it had for a rainy day.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:51 AM
mekatoka

Originally Posted by sig11
I think I'm going to do the two day NASA @Mid Ohio track day. Are you other guys going to go down for the test and tune Friday or just go Saturday/Sunday?
I plan on doing Sat/Sun for the HPDE that's it. It's already 410 for the 2 days with NASA membership dues. I am not spending anymore.

Sharing a hotel room to make it a little cheaper sounds even better.
Me and Rob are going to this event. I had asked him about sharing accommodation and haven't heard from him yet. I know he has a friend in Ohio, so not sure if he will get any accommodation by the track.

If you haven't had a NASA annual are you going to get it done up here or at the track? Do you know what they charge at either of the shops up here that can do it, or at the track?
I am not aware of their tech process. I was hoping to get it done at a local shop. Do they need us to get this done at one of their listed shops only?
Old 06-21-2010, 06:52 AM
AznSky

gobs of power + futuristic alien AWD technology = track monster even in the rain

Sharing a room is cool, sorry I didn't reply Deepu, must have missed it.

As for tech, not sure, I'll ask my co-workers today.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:01 AM
sig11

Originally Posted by mekatoka
I plan on doing Sat/Sun for the HPDE that's it. It's already 410 for the 2 days with NASA membership dues. I am not spending anymore.
Ah. You mean as in not taking time off for it? I may go down Thursday night so I can maximize the amount of track time for the money. They don't really mention if they have instructors for the TT, but they do list all the HPDE groups on the tentative schedule.

Originally Posted by mekatoka
I am not aware of their tech process. I was hoping to get it done at a local shop. Do they need us to get this done at one of their listed shops only?
Yep, according to their site there are only two places in Michigan that can do it. I guess I could call 'em and see what they charge for the 'NASA Annual.'

Originally Posted by AznSky
Sharing a room is cool, sorry I didn't reply Deepu, must have missed it.

As for tech, not sure, I'll ask my co-workers today.
y'all want to get one with a pullout? A three way split sounds even better.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:10 AM
mekatoka

Man I hate this. So, now I have to spend even more to get a tech done. Usually, new places charge you anywhere from 50 (a fixed price) OR 90 (1hr labor). I am wondering if its even worth spending so much. I am just not used to spending so much on a track day. 3-***** has spoiled me

I am game, 3-way share sounds fine to me. But I suggest we decide on this ASAP. As we get closer to the date the prices start going up.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:35 AM
AznSky

I agree, 400+ for a weekend is pretty intense. Not even including lodging..

I'll have to re-think this one...

Any other events in July? Maybe Gingerman or Grattan?

edit: I see 3balls is going to Grattan the first weekend of August, maybe just all go to that one instead?

Last edited by AznSky; 06-21-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:22 AM
rwm10

The Detroit AROC (Alfa Romeo Owners Club) has an event on July 10th @ Grattan. Then on Sunday the 11th a smaller club I've run with once is having an event there as well. Experience Performance is the name of that group. Both clubs are really laid back and the entrants tend to be a more mature crowd.

I plan on running both events, weather permitting. I was hoping to have my StopTech's installed by then along with my SSRs, but I'm more focused on doing some cooling upgrades first.

-Ryan
Old 06-21-2010, 08:49 AM
mekatoka

Even though the price is steep, I have decided to go because the track is very challenging. Last time I went there, I was getting a hold on the track in my 4th session. Generally Mid-Ohio is supposed to be expensive no matter who you run with ...... except for 3 ***** So its a good idea to go. And, 2 days back-to-back seems to be the way to do this track to get better.

Let me know what you decide and make that fast

Lee what about you man? Are you going for sure?

edit: I see 3balls is going to Grattan the first weekend of August, maybe just all go to that one instead?
I am signed up for all 3Balls events except for the Calabogie one in Canada. I'd go if I didn't have to get a visa.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:06 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I agree, 400+ for a weekend is pretty intense. Not even including lodging..

Any other events in July? Maybe Gingerman or Grattan?

What about the BMW club meet at Grattan? or are you going to stand me up on that one too?
Old 06-21-2010, 09:10 AM
lbk16

FYI, I stayed at the Quality Inn when I went to mid-ohio last month. My room was giant and it only cost like $90. Split three ways, that's not too bad. Rob, you should definitely spend the money and go to Mid-O. You should give up the "local" track days in favor of the 2 day at Mid-O.

With that said, I have only been to one NASA event (at Waterford a number of years ago) too many cars and too rigid of a structure for me. I guess I have been spoiled by 3 *****. That is about 75% of why I am not going to the Mid-O 2 day.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:33 AM
AznSky

Alright if everybody else is going to Mid-O then count me in.

I spoke with my co-workers and you can actually tech your car yourself.

AND you can sign-up for the "winners card" and get the $45 membership fee waived:

http://nasagreatlakes.com/pages/winner_card.asp

Don't sign-up yet though, lemme check to see how it works and I'll let everybody else know.

Steve, yeah sorry about bailing I just spoke with Pete Susi (the chief instructor) and he said he feels bad about your instructor bailing on you so early.

Grattan will be in Sept. so I should be down for that still.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:03 AM
sig11

I'm pretty much in. Three days for $400 isn't that bad really. I only worry that there will be so much traffic that I won't be able to really learn anything. My plan now is to drive down there Thursday night and get a good night's sleep for Friday morning. Leave Sunday evening and slump over dead when I get home to bed.

The Quality Inn is $79 + tax for "NASA drivers" too. I'm not sure if there is anything better or cheaper nearby, you guys who have been can probably help with that.

How do you tech your car yourself? Is the NASA annual only really required for TT guys then?
Old 06-21-2010, 10:06 AM
mekatoka

That is a good link there, but I wonder how it works. Since none of us have memberships already we can receive the $45 credit but the problem is we cannot register for the event with out a membership. And we can't receiver the $45 credit unless we turn it in the event.

So, will it be
- that the $45 credit can be applied for the NEXT membership (2011?)
OR
- we pay the membership dues now ($50) and get a $45 refund when we turn in the card at the event
Old 06-21-2010, 10:09 AM
AznSky

Isn't it two days for 360 and three days for $560?
Old 06-21-2010, 10:17 AM
sig11

Isn't it two days for 360 and three days for $560?
Damn! You're right. I completely missed that they were separate packages. So two days for $400.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:20 AM
mekatoka

I am not sure what Lee is signing up for but here are the rates

Fri - Jul 23 - Hyperdrive - $59
Fri - Jul 23 - HPDE - $209
Sat & Sun - Jul 24/25 - HPDE - $360

I am only gonna sign up for HPDE on Sat/Sun for 360.

I just check the BestWestern in Mansfield, and its sold out for Friday. Sat/Sun are avail at $120 & $130. Last time this place was $50 about 45 days before the event. I ended up paying $70 as I made the reservations about a week before the event. Not the best place to stay but not bad either. If I could have got it for $50 it would have been sweet.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:27 AM
AznSky

Deepu I emailed NASA regarding the winners circle thing.

And I know a few NASA guys, so if u guys don't mind putting their names as a referral that'd be cool
Old 06-21-2010, 10:30 AM
mekatoka

I wouldn't mind at all. It's not like I am running many events with NASA to care about it. You would need 8 refs to get 1 free track day and they don't carry over to next year. I'll wait to sign up till you hear about that winner circle program

Quick Reply: 2010 MI-350Z Track Days