Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

2010 MI-350Z Track Days

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 04:41 AM
AznSky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on leaving directly from work Friday night so probably arrive around 8 or so.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:29 AM
Datona Jess

Originally Posted by mekatoka
Great I already have trouble getting to the track by 8.

Hey Michigan guys, any of you want to try out a different track this year with me - other than Grattan, Gingerman, Waterford and Mid-Ohio?
Deepu,

Blackhawk, and Beaver creek are prob the closest other ones thatyou can try. Beaver creek is pretty new and nice thats my personal suggestion

If you want to make the trip VIR and Road America are amazing tracks but kind of a hike.
I have only been to all of the above once, it was just too dang far to make it a reasonable trip....
Old 07-13-2010, 05:32 AM
sig11

Great I already have trouble getting to the track by 8.

Hey Michigan guys, any of you want to try out a different track this year with me - other than Grattan, Gingerman, Waterford and Mid-Ohio?
Where did you have in mind? I'm still trying to find time to hit Grattan. :P

Originally Posted by Fixxxercask
Are you guys that are coming down to Mid Ohio coming down Friday night?
Yep.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:46 AM
AznSky

Hey Lee I might be going to grattan with BMW club on 9/18-9/19
Old 07-13-2010, 07:11 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by AznSky
I considered it, but, honestly.. this was the worst group of people I ever tracked with. They could have been worse.. but.. Could have been a LOT better.

1. My Instructor gave me two thumbs up during the first few laps out.. then asked me to drop him off.. no other feedback.

2. 75% of the folks didn't understand the pass procedure, and didn't give you a comfortable amount of space to pass. And these people had instructors in their car for most of the day.

3. Classroom session was vehicle dynamics.. explained yet another way. Heard it before.. Can't complain I guess .. going to keep hearing it until I get bumped up to advanced I think.

.. So, I think my OTD's were better than this group of guys. Hopefully you all have had a better experience with them - or will have a better experience in future sessions. I'm guessing that I just caught the worst instructor.. bad luck. But the passing procedure... come on!
Old 07-13-2010, 07:16 AM
sig11

Late September and on is a hard time for me to plan yet. I hope to make a trip down to my parent's to help with harvest.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:45 AM
mekatoka

Regarding trying other tracks, I did not have a particular track in mind but wanted to try something new. I would probably want to try the next closest track to us. I was looking for company rather than going by myself.

Lee check the track schedule I am signed up for Grattan on Aug 7/8 with 3Balls. It's a weekend, let me know if you can make it. I do not have any weekdays this year except for the PCA one we did in May.

I had an awesome day this past weekend at Waterford. We got like 6 sessions and there was still time to go on track and I said I've had enough I kept trying new things and went all 4 wheels off twice. It was quite an experience, I have it on video, have to find some time to put it together.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:16 AM
AznSky

Sorry about your experience Steve. I'll pass your comments on to them.

Deepu you went all 4 wheels off? At waterford?! That's crazy. Where at? Glad everything's ok.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:52 AM
sig11

Lee check the track schedule I am signed up for Grattan on Aug 7/8 with 3Balls. It's a weekend, let me know if you can make it. I do not have any weekdays this year except for the PCA one we did in May.
I'll be doing the Jawbreaker Road Rally on the 7th and 8th so that weekend is out for me. I'm basically booked up through August.

Can't wait to see your Waterford videos.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:02 AM
mekatoka

Sorry about your experience Steve. I'll pass your comments on to them.

Deepu you went all 4 wheels off? At waterford?! That's crazy. Where at? Glad everything's ok.
1. Gulch Turn - Came in hot and lost traction while turning in
2. Archers Corner - Didn't brake hard enough and I was trying for more speed, this time hit 105 and lost traction

Both were good learning experiences. They always tell you to keep both feet in and keep steering straight when you hit grass but when I lost control first time I kept trying to control it and mid-way realized shouldn't do that. Then did exactly that and stopped. So, it was a learning experience. Not that it is intentional but you will only know the limits when you push them.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:26 AM
thekinn

Typically, 8 wheels off, and that is the end of your day.

I went 4 off on my last lap of the last session (at the BMW event - Hot day, exhausting). Fatigue got the better of me and I started braking too late.. Just went straight off the end of the long straight (archers). Was able to slow enough before going off and it was no big deal.

You said you 'lost traction' - So you tried to make the turns too fast? Going off anything but straight is scary.. indeed.

Post up some vids. I'd be happy to post up my off incident too..
Old 07-13-2010, 10:58 AM
mekatoka

Yep, that is the rule with everyone. I am not sure if it's the same with 3Balls, I promptly came back into the pits each time and checked my car. However, I did not go back in after second time, it was my call. I didn't try to take the turn faster but was going faster in the straight and probably didn't brake hard enough. Only realized this when I was turning that I was too hot. Will post the vids later today or tomorrow.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Fixxxercask

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to see the off track incident too. I posted one of mine up from two weeks ago. It's embarrasing, but it happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StZN_1huD4g

I'm considering Gratten with 3balls in August too. I really want to meet you guys. It's not as fun when you go to the track by yourself.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:40 PM
rwm10

I just did two days a Grattan this past weekend. I'd like to do that again as you can really begin to work on different things and actually see more improvement with back to back days. I'll try to see if I can do the two days with 3balls, at least Sunday.

Oh and since we are talking about offs, did my usual through turn three @ Grattan, midway through the second session on Saturday tried getting on the power a little early with my open diff and off I spun. Needless to say I'm looking put a diff in the car before I go back.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:06 AM
thekinn

If you ever wanted to see the kitty litter at the end of Archer's @ Waterford - here you go. 'Bout as close as you can get without going in.

http://www.hiap.com/videos/6-18-off.wmv
Old 07-14-2010, 06:00 AM
lbk16

Deepu I am glad to hear that you are pushing the car a bit. I got the line at the beginning of my third session and everything just clicked. It takes me quite a while to get back in to Waterford. I have much more confidence at Grattan and Gingerman. I got the nod from Ken and the boys to step up to Group 1 permanently - so I am looking forward to that.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:02 AM
lbk16

Originally Posted by Datona Jess
Deepu,

Blackhawk, and Beaver creek are prob the closest other ones thatyou can try. Beaver creek is pretty new and nice thats my personal suggestion

If you want to make the trip VIR and Road America are amazing tracks but kind of a hike.
I have only been to all of the above once, it was just too dang far to make it a reasonable trip....
What about Mosport? Its in Canada...but I hear it is very challenging.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:41 AM
mekatoka

Congratulations Lee Yeah, this time I did not follow your line at Waterford. All I needed was the missing pieces and I was fine. I have to check my videos from last year to see how I did this time. I am not yet ready to try tracks in Canada for visa reasons. Probably next year. Following is my video of the bloopers
VIDEO
Old 07-14-2010, 11:05 AM
Datona Jess

Originally Posted by lbk16
What about Mosport? Its in Canada...but I hear it is very challenging.
I have never been there....
With the race car trailer, rig etc...

It was impossible to get accross the border without 3-4 hours of checking...
It was just too much of a pain, also had to get a different license, etc.
I say give it a try, let me know how it goes.

What you got to lose?

Deepu-glad tyo hear your pushing it. Only one way to get faster and better man...
Though it does get a bit scary when you almost* or do lose control...

-AJ
Old 07-15-2010, 01:23 PM
lbk16

I cleaned up my line quite a bit after you rode with me...definitely picked up some time and speed. We can talk about why you went off if you want...pretty clear from the vids.

Quick Reply: 2010 MI-350Z Track Days