Notices
North West Washington, Montana, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming

DIY wheel painting, flame inside!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 08:10 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default DIY wheel painting, flame inside!

I haven't had my Z long at all and I've already dumped a good chunk of money into mods and upgrades (tint, plenum spacer, drop in filter, exhaust, spoiler..)

that being said, there is no affordable way to get some black 5 spoke wheels for a while, it's on hold for at least half a year (christmas, birthdays, anniversaries coming up etc..) but I feel like that will really complete the look I am going for.

I am going to risk it and paint my stock wheels black for the in between time. Hate it, call it ghetto, whatever.. I am doing it!

I live in an apartment complex, and I don't have jacks + jackstands, so this is going to be a one-by-one process with the stock jack. I might take an extended weekend to give it ample drying time. Here's my thought process on how to do this, if you have painting expierience feel free to correct my stupidity:

Pull one wheel off at a time, tape around the tire thoroughly/under the wheel lip so paint doesnt get on it, sand it down and make it as smooth as possible, spray duplicolor wheel paint on it, let it dry for a few hours, put it back on the car and pull the next one off and repeat the process.

I figure letting it dry for a few hours before going back on the car will be good enough so that it partially sets - then let it sit for the next 3-4 days undriven to let it really dry.

I've thought about other things that might be required, such as clearcoat, but I am really uneducated in the painting dept. any help is appreciated - or if you wheel snobs want to donate your volks/rays etc to me, that works too!

I am aware that it is likely to chip and that touch up will be required all too often to keep it looking decent, but this is a nice affordable way to tide me over until I can afford some real wheels.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:17 AM
t0mills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Paint them Satin Black, instead of gloss black.

2. Prep work is key. Sand them down with 400 grit, then follow up with some 600. Clean them, and use an adhesion promoter before you spray them.

3. A good trick for taping around the tire is to use Index Cards. If you lay them in the bead, these will make a cone around the wheel.

4. If you paint them in the shade, then lay them out in the sun, you should only need about 15-20min before you can put them back on the car. I'd recommend at least 3 coats of paint. 1st coat pretty light, should only need about 5 min to set. 2nd coat should be heavier, give it about 10min in the sun, and the final coat should be heavy, but be careful so that it doesn't run.

5. Make sure you do this on a nice sunny day, with LOW humidity.

6. Post pics.

-Tim
Old 09-19-2008, 08:25 AM
Entaille

index cards.. that is a good idea

I think duplicolor also makes an adehsion promoter (primer?), would that do the trick?

thanks for the advice.. helped tons already
Old 09-19-2008, 08:31 AM
wasuber

If they turn out great maybe throw on some spacers ? I know a few members that rock the stockers and they look great pushed out a bit. Look even better black!
Old 09-19-2008, 09:12 AM
Entaille

Probably doing this next weekend. I will definitely take pictures for you guys to laugh at my poor craftsmanship. I am trying to figure out what part of the apartment parking lot I am going to do the spraying at, I will line the entire area with cardboard but I can only imagine they would get pissy if they saw me doing it
Old 09-19-2008, 09:29 AM
SlowZster

no worries. Lots of people paint the stockers. My brother painted his stock Enkei wheels on his evo, and they looked amazing. It's all about doing it even, and taking your time.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Entaille

cool deal. I was hoping this wasn't an incredibly stupid thing to do.

last thing I am confused on - should I get a clearcoat product to put on after the paint is dry?
Old 09-19-2008, 10:05 AM
redlude97

I would use painter's tape rather than index cards, it is more time consuming, but you can get the paint closer to the tire bead. I would also avoid clearcoat, so that it is easier to repaint later down the road, because you WILL get chips, they are inevitable
Old 09-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Entaille

I am looking into some affordable pro painters too before I do it - if its cheap enough I'll just have them do it, but I am thinking it's not. if it is too costly I'd rather put that money towards new wheels
Old 09-19-2008, 11:49 AM
t0mills

Originally Posted by Entaille
I am looking into some affordable pro painters too before I do it - if its cheap enough I'll just have them do it, but I am thinking it's not. if it is too costly I'd rather put that money towards new wheels

They will use an automotive paint, and most likely clear coat it. That would look great, but it will be chipping off in a few weeks, so I wouldn't waste my money.

FYI, in my area, I can get wheels powdercoated for $25 each. So, for $100, you could have a finish that will last a long time, and look great.

-Tim
Old 09-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Entaille

I'll ask what kind of paint they will use and whatnot. you are right, if they are just going to use auto paint its a waste of time and money.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Entaille

powdercoating is more expensive in my area, and on top of that, I'd have to have my car on jackstands (which I don't have), pull the wheels off, go to a tire place, get the tires taken off, bring them the wheels, do without my car for a couple of days.. becomes pretty expensive after everything required =/
Old 09-19-2008, 05:26 PM
SlowZster

Originally Posted by Entaille
powdercoating is more expensive in my area, and on top of that, I'd have to have my car on jackstands (which I don't have), pull the wheels off, go to a tire place, get the tires taken off, bring them the wheels, do without my car for a couple of days.. becomes pretty expensive after everything required =/
yeah, just rattle can it...no need for clear...and my brother just used tape. I think he did it on the car too if I remember right.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:31 PM
Entaille

damn.. on the car, how did he manage that? how did he get the insides so it didn't look like total garbage?
Old 09-20-2008, 10:35 AM
sno

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paint the back/inside of the rim first, then flip it over and lay a good 8 or so layers of paint on the fronts.