Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Norcal Track Days

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 08:45 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Neimad
I forgot, 2 tires have been patched as well. I don't want to tempt the oil temp AND tire gods.
What sizes are the ones with patches? I don't like patches on the track, AND I have some extra tires.

For that matter, if anyone has wheels (and/or tires) that they don't want to biff up, I have a set of OEM 06+ wheels with 245 Kumho XS tires that I'd let someone rent for cheap. Just a little something to put back into the tire fund. I also have 225, 245, 255, 265, and 275 tires for sale. Maybe even some sticky 285s.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:36 PM
solidfish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scotts300
What sizes are the ones with patches? I don't like patches on the track, AND I have some extra tires.

For that matter, if anyone has wheels (and/or tires) that they don't want to biff up, I have a set of OEM 06+ wheels with 245 Kumho XS tires that I'd let someone rent for cheap. Just a little something to put back into the tire fund. I also have 225, 245, 255, 265, and 275 tires for sale. Maybe even some sticky 285s.
I would be really tempted to try your stickys, but I dont think there is anyway I could transport them in my car. I'm planning to have a friend drive with me that day so I'm limited to the trunk space. What 275s / 265s do you have?
Old 06-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Neimad

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scott- The tires are 275/40/17 Continental Extreme Contact DW. I don't really want to track patches either so I think I'll take you up on your rental. Let me see your tire selection as well. Maybe its time for scottrack.com?

1st time track questions:

Is ok to drive there with front -3.2 camber?

O.S. LSD w finned cover only has maybe 1000 miles on it after ZCG intall w/ I presume the same fluid Shamu's blew up with. Change to O.S oil or leave alone?
Old 06-12-2011, 12:45 AM
SE5spd

YEEEEEE track day 7/9/11!!!!
Old 06-12-2011, 09:07 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by solidfish
I would be really tempted to try your stickys, but I dont think there is anyway I could transport them in my car. I'm planning to have a friend drive with me that day so I'm limited to the trunk space. What 275s / 265s do you have?
The 265/275 are Dunlop Star Specs, no stickies.

Originally Posted by Neimad
Scott- The tires are 275/40/17 Continental Extreme Contact DW. I don't really want to track patches either so I think I'll take you up on your rental. Let me see your tire selection as well. Maybe its time for scottrack.com?

1st time track questions:

Is ok to drive there with front -3.2 camber?

O.S. LSD w finned cover only has maybe 1000 miles on it after ZCG intall w/ I presume the same fluid Shamu's blew up with. Change to O.S oil or leave alone?
3.2 camber is ok, especially as long as it's nearly the same on both sides. Check with Rob about the diff fluid - he's the expert there.

PM me about the wheels/tires.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like I am still going to be on my heavy *** 19's and Toyo T1R for this event.

I am looking into a track pad and debating between Carbotech XP8 and XP10 (for Akebono). I am pretty much a beginner so I think XP8 might be a better choice, I can install them before the event and just drive to the track on them instead of wasting time swapping pads at the track.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 06-12-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:02 PM
solidfish

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Looks like I am still going to be on my heavy *** 19's and Toyo T1R for this event.

I am looking into a track pad and debating between Carbotech XP8 and XP10 (for Akebono). I am pretty much a beginner so I think XP8 might be a better choice, I can install them before the event and just drive to the track on them instead of wasting time swapping pads at the track.

Thoughts?
I run carbotech XP10s and like them a lot. They definitely hold more heat and less likely to fade. I just change out the pads the night before and drive up with them installed.

I think I going to stick my re01 tires this time around too.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:29 PM
SE5spd

Are you going to be in driving school?
That's what I'm going to run, xp8/10 combo..along with stoptech slotted rotors and RBF600 fluid
I'll be changing my brakes like a week before the track day.

Thoughts?
Old 06-12-2011, 04:32 PM
SE5spd

Wired 24/7: do you have a Z or G?
any suspension done?
Old 06-12-2011, 09:55 PM
solidfish

I still consider myself a learner but you dont necessarily have to get upgraded pads, rotors and fluid for your first track day. Especially for driving school.

I ran on my stock brakes for the first few track days just fine (nearly complete unmodified car for that matter). Only when I started learning how to brake later and harder and saw the effects of brake fade did I make the upgrade.

Everybody drives their car differently but the stock brakes actually hold up pretty well.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:24 AM
SE5spd

wow stock brakes can hold up? That's suprising!
Originally Posted by solidfish
I still consider myself a learner but you dont necessarily have to get upgraded pads, rotors and fluid for your first track day. Especially for driving school.

I ran on my stock brakes for the first few track days just fine (nearly complete unmodified car for that matter). Only when I started learning how to brake later and harder and saw the effects of brake fade did I make the upgrade.

Everybody drives their car differently but the stock brakes actually hold up pretty well.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:56 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Well I've been to a driving school once at Buttonwillow, I think I will probably do driving school again, it's been a long time since I've been on the track.

Only suspension work is hotchkis springs and sways, I might be getting SPC camber arms and toe bolts soon but not sure if I will have them in and set up by that date.

I have a 2005 Z.

For a first time at a track I would definitely at least do a fluid flush on the brakes. Can only help. Sure, stock brakes can hold up if you're gentle and pull off the track after a few laps, but I have seen some totally glazed over/melted pads...organic friction material is not so good after the first few hard stops.

I was just sick of the stock brakes in general, hate the 1 piston calipers and have always wanted a bit of an upgrade. As soon as I bought my car I was jealous I didn't get the track edition

So I opted for an akebono kit, now my handling is quite a bit worse due to the added weight. It is really a heavy kit up front. Rears are not too bad. I am going to go with some lighter wheels in the future (currently have 19" SF Challenge) but the only wheels I really like for my personal goals are the CE28N's. Need some more cash before I go that route.

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 06-13-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:37 AM
SE5spd

Nice! Should be fun, me, you and neimad in DS.
Well I've been to a driving school once at Buttonwillow, I think I will probably do driving school again, it's been a long time since I've been on the track.

Only suspension work is hotchkis springs and sways, I might be getting SPC camber arms and toe bolts soon but not sure if I will have them in and set up by that date.

I have a 2005 Z.

For a first time at a track I would definitely at least do a fluid flush on the brakes. Can only help. Sure, stock brakes can hold up if you're gentle and pull off the track after a few laps, but I have seen some totally glazed over/melted pads...organic friction material is not so good after the first few hard stops.

I was just sick of the stock brakes in general, hate the 1 piston calipers and have always wanted a bit of an upgrade. As soon as I bought my car I was jealous I didn't get the track edition

So I opted for an akebono kit, now my handling is quite a bit worse due to the added weight. It is really a heavy kit up front. Rears are not too bad. I am going to go with some lighter wheels in the future (currently have 19" SF Challenge) but the only wheels I really like for my personal goals are the CE28N's. Need some more cash before I go that route.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Just paid for DS and also got reserved parking as well. I'm out of the country from June 21st to 29th so if you guys want to discuss any logistics we should get it sorted out before or after that.

Sounds like fun
Old 06-13-2011, 11:06 AM
ntrinsik

I have a 2005 Z.

1 piece rotors? I have 2-piece up front on my Akebono kit and it wasn't a drastic change from stock.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:43 AM
SE5spd

forgot to ask, is there any sort of dress code? I know at wednesday night drags you have to have long pants on so is it anything like that?
Old 06-13-2011, 11:57 AM
solidfish

Ya I agree that the stock brakes are really weak (especially the single pistons, which is what I had too). I nearly went off track due to the failing brakes. That was the first time feeling a soft brake pedal and it gave me a good scare. That's when I decided to upgrade, but that was at my 3rd or so track event.

At driving school, everybody was pretty slow and cautious. Maybe I was in a mature group but nobody was driving near their limits.

But you should definitely check all fluids before any event though. And semi-metallic pads tend to have the higher temp ratings.

Last edited by solidfish; 06-13-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by SE5spd
forgot to ask, is there any sort of dress code? I know at wednesday night drags you have to have long pants on so is it anything like that?
Pretty sure you need long pants and closed toe shoes

1 piece rotors? I have 2-piece up front on my Akebono kit and it wasn't a drastic change from stock.
Yeah the 1 piece. I guess I will get 2 piece next time around. Much more expensive...
Old 06-13-2011, 12:21 PM
ntrinsik

Originally Posted by SE5spd
I forget.. but its typically long sleeve shirts and long pants. I know I did something with NASA last year and they made a guy borrow long pants from someone to go out on track.

I usually prefer long sleeve shirts/long pants anyways to avoid getting sunburned.. Don't forget a hat and sunblock! Especially up in Willows.

Last edited by ntrinsik; 06-13-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:34 PM
SE5spd

Pretty sure you need long pants and closed toe shoes
Originally Posted by ntrinsik
I forget.. but its typically long sleeve shirts and long pants. I know I did something with NASA last year and they made a guy borrow long pants from someone to go out on track.

I usually prefer long sleeve shirts/long pants anyways to avoid getting sunburned.. Don't forget a hat and sunblock! Especially up in Willows.
thanks. I'll probably end up just bringing jeans and a long sleeved shirt just incase.

Quick Reply: Norcal Track Days