Notices

Injected Performance brings you HALTECH PLATINUM PNP STANDALONE

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 05:57 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 617G
Correct...meaning how much control does the ECU still have over certain processes and will it still go into limp mode if let's say the tranny gets too hot or you throw a code that would normally cause you to go into limp mode for precaution (the VQ is very limp mode happy imo even when stock)? I'll pm you guys a scenario.
We have not come across the almost frequent sounding limp-mode encounters you describe on the stock ecu or with Haltech, so I can not speak from that standpoint. I would suggest getting to the bottom of your problems first.

If it is a fuel or ignition cut you are encountering, then it would be overridden by Haltech due to it having complete control over those. If it is a throttle-body cut you are encountering, then it will still most likely occur.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:18 AM
xlr8r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a different question for you. I'm swapping a VQ into my 72 510 & won't be dealing with the CAN system of the 350z for gauges, etc. Would this Haltech unit work for my application? Would it need to be plugged into a Factory ECU, or can it work w/out a factory ECU (more preferable for me since getting a factory ECU to work & have all of the sensors & systems at hand that it needs in my car would be a mess). Is it possible to get a universal Haltech unit & they can configure it to run the cam phasing?

Basically I want a aftermarket ECU that I can tune & controls cam phasing. It turns out the AEM EMS I bought is only configured to control the phasing in a ON/OFF manner by VQswap, which I'm not pleased with, so the 24x24 phasing table Haltech has is very appealing.

Last edited by xlr8r; 12-18-2007 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by xlr8r
Here's a different question for you. I'm swapping a VQ into my 72 510 & won't be dealing with the CAN system of the 350z for gauges, etc. Would this Haltech unit work for my application? Would it need to be plugged into a Factory ECU, or can it work w/out a factory ECU (more preferable for me since getting a factory ECU to work & have all of the sensors & systems at hand that it needs in my car would be a mess). Is it possible to get a universal Haltech unit & they can configure it to run the cam phasing?

Basically I want a aftermarket ECU that I can tune & controls cam phasing. It turns out the AEM EMS I bought is only configured to control the phasing in a ON/OFF manner by VQswap, which I'm not pleased with, so the 24x24 phasing table Haltech has is very appealing.
The Haltech Platinum will have no problem running your engine and controlling the cam timing without the factory ecu. Also, our cam timing map is setup in degrees not generic duty cycle percentage amounts You will need to use a cable throttle body, which I assume you will be doing anyways given the car.

The universal Haltech boxes such as E11v2 will not work on the Z without an aftermarket crank trigger setup. The Haltech Platinum 350z ecu is of course calibrated for it and a plug and play affair.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:11 AM
xlr8r

Awesome, I just spoke with Eric @ Haltech & he said you had worked out the "bugs" for my kind of swap scenario using this ECU. It seems like the AEM unit I have does control the phasing properly, after speaking with them, it's just the way he phrased things in an e-mail made it seem otherwise. Now I'm torn between the two, but I do know that when I get an HR engine, as I plan to eventually I'll be using a Haltech to tune it since the AEM is not set up to control exhaust cams.

Last edited by xlr8r; 12-18-2007 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:30 PM
thawk408

This might of been covered, but does the haltech need a seperate knock amp, like the fcon, to detect knock? Or does it use the stock ones?
Old 12-26-2007, 09:41 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Thanks for answering all my questions, Hal.

I had a Haltech installed last week at the Performance Factory in Orlando... very happy with the results! I don't want to drive this thread OT, but here's a link to my thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....76#post4888576

Old 01-02-2008, 11:53 AM
thawk408

Originally Posted by thawk408
This might of been covered, but does the haltech need a seperate knock amp, like the fcon, to detect knock? Or does it use the stock ones?
?
Old 01-02-2008, 12:00 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

The Haltech detects knock using the stock knock sensor. My understanding is that it employs a much more sophisticated algorithm for detecting the knock signal (I have no way of testing this). You can display knock via the software, but knock control (responding to knock) has not yet been implemented. A conservative tune should not be anywhere near the knock threshold, so I felt comfortable proceeding without knock control. Hal has indicated that this feature is a high priority item.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Glex25

I see a few vendors giving credit for Greddy Emanage system when upgrading to the Haltech.

Anyone know if this would also apply at a later date to people that would like to upgrade from Utec to a Haltech?
Old 01-02-2008, 02:07 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has Haltech kept up with the upgrades as promised ? Or hasnt enough time passed to tell ? I have heard this issue has been Haltech's down fall in the past .

Last edited by booger; 01-02-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:21 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by booger
Has Haltech kept up with the upgrades as promised ? Or hasnt enough time passed to tell ? I have heard this issue has been Haltech's down fall in the past .
Absolutely. We have already had a few small updates to add/enable requested items. A major update should be ready for release next week (in final stage of testing now) which will include another adjustable output, speed dependent boost, the ability to datalog CAN values (such as individual wheel speed, G sensor, etc), map encryption, and more!

There is much more in progress, but I'd rather not go into that considering some of it could be a few weeks and other items later in the year.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:24 PM
rcdash

Hal, sounds great. If you've got access to wheel sensor data, implementing boost dependent traction control seems possible, eh? That's something that not many sophisticated boost controllers can manage, even the ones in the $1k range...

EDIT: Now that I re-read my post, I think saying traction dependent boost control would be more accurate. Either way, I think you get the idea.

Last edited by rcdash; 01-03-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rcdash
Hal, sounds great. If you've got access to wheel sensor data, implementing boost dependent traction control seems possible, eh? That's something that not many sophisticated boost controllers can manage, even the ones in the $1k range...
Absolutely. As some of the requests are getting finished, we are now discussing whats next. In this new software release you can at least set it to adjust boost dependent on front wheel speed - so rear tire spin won't bring on increased boost.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:37 PM
rcdash

Originally Posted by Hal@IP
Absolutely. As some of the requests are getting finished, we are now discussing whats next. In this new software release you can at least set it to adjust boost dependent on front wheel speed - so rear tire spin won't bring on increased boost.
Very nice - can't wait for warmer weather!
Old 01-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Glex25

I'm looking at all the features the haltech has and it looks like its exactly what i'm looking for.

I have been doing some research and I was looking at some of the vendors website and also the haltech site to see what was included with the Haltech EMS.
I notice on the Haltech website that they have a sensor package that they say is recommended for all Haltech EMS and also a boost controller but have not seen it available in any of the vendors site.

Can you enlighten me on this.

I'm currently running the Utec with a Boost Solenoid/MAP switch.
Is the turboXS boost controller compatible with the Haltech?
http://www.haltech.com.au/boost_ctrl_soln.htm

Also here is the link for the Sensor pack
http://www.haltech.com.au/basic_sensors.htm

Also have noticed some third party vendors of digital displays saying they can interface with the haltech instead of getting additional gauges they can be displayed on the screen.
I know Hal has mentioned the AIM Pista which I have been waiting for pics of the installation and dimensions to see where it would fit in a G35 but have also seen this.

http://www.dashdaq.com/features/whofor.htm
http://www.dashdaq.com/downloads/DashDAQ_Web.pdf

Any input would be greatly associated the more I know about my engine conditions the safer i feel about running my car.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:14 AM
InjectedPerf
Sponsor
Injected Performance

The only other item you will need for the Haltech to control boost is the Haltech Boost Control Solenoid. The internal MAP sensor will be good up to 22psi. The Boost Solenoid can be purchased here:

Boost Control Solenoid

We have recently installed the AIM pista dash in a G35. I will get pictures up today of the unit. The dimensions are 6.9"x4.3"x1".

Originally Posted by Glex25
I'm looking at all the features the haltech has and it looks like its exactly what i'm looking for.

I have been doing some research and I was looking at some of the vendors website and also the haltech site to see what was included with the Haltech EMS.
I notice on the Haltech website that they have a sensor package that they say is recommended for all Haltech EMS and also a boost controller but have not seen it available in any of the vendors site.

Can you enlighten me on this.

I'm currently running the Utec with a Boost Solenoid/MAP switch.
Is the turboXS boost controller compatible with the Haltech?
http://www.haltech.com.au/boost_ctrl_soln.htm

Also here is the link for the Sensor pack
http://www.haltech.com.au/basic_sensors.htm

Also have noticed some third party vendors of digital displays saying they can interface with the haltech instead of getting additional gauges they can be displayed on the screen.
I know Hal has mentioned the AIM Pista which I have been waiting for pics of the installation and dimensions to see where it would fit in a G35 but have also seen this.

http://www.dashdaq.com/features/whofor.htm
http://www.dashdaq.com/downloads/DashDAQ_Web.pdf

Any input would be greatly associated the more I know about my engine conditions the safer i feel about running my car.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:22 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Exactly, you do not need the sensor pack as the Haltech Platinum PnP is calibrated to the factory sensors. Also, like was stated above - it has a built in map sensor that will read up to 22psi positive pressure. If you plan on going above that, it has a connector which will accept any map sensor for higher boost (60psi).

We are running the AIM dash in three Z's and now a G35. Here it is in our car:

I checked out the DashDAQ site, and it says it is compatible with the e11v2. The Platinum has 3 CAN systems, one being setup with the same protocol as the e11v2, so this would work just fine.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:36 AM
Glex25

Thanks for the info guys
greatly appreciated
I can't wait to see the installation you did on the G35.

I also sent you another PM on something on a more personal note
Old 01-21-2008, 06:49 AM
rcdash

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents here. The software GUI is very configurable with realtime gauges and 3-D graphing. If you have a car PC with LCD screen(s) mounted in the vehicle, you can design your own gauge display.

I will say that having a dedicated unit that starts up right away is nice too, but I went with a car PC display (the PC actually supports 2 displays, so I'm looking for a place to mount a 2nd one - so gauges have dedicated screen real estate)...

Just something to consider if you haven't experienced the Haltech GUI yet. These screen kits are available for G35's at mp3car.com.
Attached Thumbnails Injected Performance brings you HALTECH PLATINUM PNP STANDALONE-pict0069.jpg  

Last edited by rcdash; 01-21-2008 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:19 AM
Glex25

Originally Posted by rcdash
Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents here. The software GUI is very configurable with realtime gauges and 3-D graphing. If you have a car PC with LCD screen(s) mounted in the vehicle, you can design your own gauge display.

I will say that having a dedicated unit that starts up right away is nice too, but I went with a car PC display (the PC actually supports 2 displays, so I'm looking for a place to mount a 2nd one - so gauges have dedicated screen real estate)...

Just something to consider if you haven't experienced the Haltech GUI yet. These screen kits are available for G35's at mp3car.com.
RCDash

I currently have the AVIC-N1 custom mounted in my cubby so that real estate is already taken but if i can mount the Pista where the oem radio is with a jdm installation kit that would be great since the oem radio is not doing anything.

I would have loved to do a CarPC but I already have teh Avic with the works(6 dvd changer/12 disc cd changer/Navtraffic/XM etc...)

Quick Reply: Injected Performance brings you HALTECH PLATINUM PNP STANDALONE