Notices

Injected Performance brings you HALTECH PLATINUM PNP STANDALONE

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 09:01 AM
thawk408

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
The haltech making the intake cams run a different profile than the ECU wants to see, thus throwing the codes. Hal knows about this. I think it is only on Rev-Ups, though
I have a revup so im concerned since I need to pass emissions. I have done so in the past, just cant be throwing any CELs.

The haltech doesnt have the change the profile correct? Only if you adjust the cam phasing will it throw the codes?
Old 08-20-2008, 09:07 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler4
Hey Raj, any word on the Dash Daq availability yet?

Now that I have seen your car PC (which BTW is very nice!), what advantages would the DashDaq give over it?
Yes, the Haltech driver for the DashDaq works - Hal checked for me. However it only transmits certain CAN channels, not everything so I am reluctant to be an early adopter for that. Especially since I have the carPC. My carPC used to be a little flaky and that's why I really considered the DashDaq. I used to start up to blank screens and intermittent reboots but after I redid my ground wiring, the entire system has been stable for months now and it starts up pretty quickly (within 15 secs all apps are running). No real reason to get the DashDaq now for me but it is an option if you don't have a carPC and want the gauges, alarms, etc like the CAMP2 for the HKS.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:07 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by thawk408
What causes these codes?
The required wheel sensor input codes are sent through the CAN bus. I wonder if the above mentioned CAN bus problem could be causing the code to be thrown? Check out the highlighted area on the P0011 DTC page in the Service Manual.

Note: I did the highlighting. Nothing is actually highlighted in the Service Manual.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:11 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by thawk408
I have a revup so im concerned since I need to pass emissions. I have done so in the past, just cant be throwing any CELs.

The haltech doesnt have the change the profile correct? Only if you adjust the cam phasing will it throw the codes?
If you know the stock phasing it might work. There is no "copy through" function like there is for timing in the map. I used to get the intake timing codes all the time. Usually within 25 miles of clearing the CEL and a run to redline. I've now gone over 600 miles with NO CELS AT ALL!

It looks like the quick and easy answer is Osiris. I was going to test to 1000 miles before posting success or failure... (keep your fingers crossed). I accumulated a list of CEL codes running the Haltech over a 2 month period. I went through the FSM and added on all related codes. I sent that list to UpRev, 1 reflash later and voila!

Once I'm done with this 1000 mile test, I'm going to remove the MAF (I had them remove those CEL codes also) and see what happens (I use a Haltech ATS wired into the MAF wiring so the stock ECU still reads that).

Last edited by rcdash; 08-20-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:26 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by rcdash
If you know the stock phasing it might work. There is no "copy through" function like there is for timing in the map. I used to get the intake timing codes all the time. Usually within 25 miles of clearing the CEL and a run to redline. I've now gone over 600 miles with NO CELS AT ALL!

The answer is Osiris. I was going to test to 1000 miles before posting success or failure... (keep your fingers crossed). I accumulated a list of CEL codes running the Haltech over a 2 month period. I went through the FSM and added on all related codes. I sent that list to UpRev and voila!

Once I'm done with this 1000 mile test, I'm going to remove the MAF (I had them remove those CEL codes also) and see what happens (I use a Haltech ATS wired into the MAF wiring so the stock ECU still reads that).
Interesting. I kept a spreadsheet of the CELs I was getting for a while. If I remove the Haltech, I do not get any of them.

I've thought about just eliminating the codes using Osiris. I'd rather find out why they are triggering and see if they can't be resolved without physically eliminating them.

Additionally, there might be other consequences for removing these codes in states that use them to determine emissions tampering.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Regarding P0011 and 0021, they are both related to modified intake cam timing. These are caused by cam timing being tuned outside of the factory range. To avoid these immediately you have a couple options:
1. Keep improved cam timing and use reflash to erase the code
2. Adjust cam timing back to factory range or splice wires to bypass Haltech Cam Timing control
Old 08-20-2008, 11:06 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Originally Posted by Hal@IP
Regarding P0011 and 0021, they are both related to modified intake cam timing. These are caused by cam timing being tuned outside of the factory range. To avoid these immediately you have a couple options:
1. Keep improved cam timing and use reflash to erase the code
2. Adjust cam timing back to factory range or splice wires to bypass Haltech Cam Timing control
I notice you said 'immediately' Is there anything in the works soft or firmware wise?

Or, do you happen to have a map that has the stock factory cam timing, since I no longer have it anywhere?
Old 08-20-2008, 11:48 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by __jb
Interesting. I kept a spreadsheet of the CELs I was getting for a while. If I remove the Haltech, I do not get any of them.

I've thought about just eliminating the codes using Osiris. I'd rather find out why they are triggering and see if they can't be resolved without physically eliminating them.

Additionally, there might be other consequences for removing these codes in states that use them to determine emissions tampering.
UpRev has a list of the CEL codes that I sent that I think are irrelevant with a standalone fuel and cam controller (like the Haltech). I recommended that the end user tuning (v2.0 Osiris) have a simplified option to disable the entire list I sent in.

I do use stock widebands for closed loop feedback so it would be nice if the Haltech could detect and indicate stock wideband failure or trigger a failsafe of some sort (now that the stock ECU must remain silent on the subject ).

That makes sense that removing the Haltech fixes the CELs since the closed loop feedback is going to look broken from the stock ECU's perspective while the Haltech is controlling it. I even tried to change the AFR targets using Osiris before resorting to code elimination and that didn't work either.

I don't think this code elimination would be detectable by the emission testing computer, but I could go test it out... (I have this friend who has a friend - passed last year with test pipes just by clearing CELs, keeping it under 4k rpms for 50 miles and then went to get tested)

Dave90TT, I cannot think of anyway Haltech can modify cam timing and not get the stock ECU to throw codes. If you bypass the Haltech cam controller as Hal suggests, you should be golden, but of course you don't get to control cam timing. I wonder if I can read stock cam phasing with Cipher - Hal do you know? Setting up a default map that matches stock might be valuable for customers that don't want to mess with rewiring.

Last edited by rcdash; 08-20-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:21 PM
SnyperZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine today but it didn't come with an install CD..is there anywhere to download the program?
Old 08-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SnyperZ
I got mine today but it didn't come with an install CD..is there anywhere to download the program?
It should be in there, PM sent.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:01 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

I notice you said 'immediately' Is there anything in the works soft or firmware wise?

Or, do you happen to have a map that has the stock factory cam timing, since I no longer have it anywhere?
Anything you can say on this, Hal?
Old 08-24-2008, 08:40 PM
SnyperZ

nevermind.

Last edited by SnyperZ; 08-24-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:13 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Anything you can say on this, Hal?
Dave, we are working on a solution that would fix all CEL codes (allow user to filter out specific oem codes, and add haltech-specific codes) but this is further down the road (no eta currently).
Old 08-25-2008, 06:26 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Dave, we are working on a solution that would fix all CEL codes (allow user to filter out specific oem codes, and add haltech-specific codes) but this is further down the road (no eta currently).
Thanks, Hal. I appreciate the info.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:47 AM
thawk408

That would be awesome to have! That way I wont have to buy Uprev.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:07 AM
rcdash

That would be really sweet Hal. Your 32 in/out module could be used to trigger warning LEDs/alarms so I'm not so concerned with this feature anymore. Intercepting CELs codes on the CAN bus sounds complicated, but I wouldn't put anything past the abilities of Haltech's engineering team, especially with you helping them out.

Over 900 miles so far, no CELs. Plenty of 14 psi runs. My EPA sticker expires in Oct, but I'm going in early for inspection to a mod friendly dealer to see if they are happy passing it as is.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:24 PM
SnyperZ

Anyone have any idea why my car surges under light throttle and stalls when coming to a stop?(its not tuned yet im only running on the basemap.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:25 PM
Blackbird CPV35

mine does it too, something to do with the fuel cut at light throttle
Old 08-31-2008, 08:35 PM
rcdash

It's not fuel cut. It's just that cell in the fuel map is off. Closed loop correction using the stock widebands is slow and quick blips in the throttle will go uncorrected. To fix it, you really need to fix the cell that is out of whack in the base fuel table. Turn on trace (hit T on the keyboard) and blip the throttle. You get a trace of which cells the EMS used during the "blip". Increase fuel for those until the hesitation goes away.

The other piece that may be off is the enrichment sensitivity. This is a quick burst of fuel when you tap the throttle. It happens too quickly to register much on even an aftermarket wideband so you really have to tune this table by feel. The key points are that small changes in throttle require larger % changes in fuel and this compensation is needed more at lower rpms (by 4k rpms it should read 0).

When you do get tuned, ask to go out on the road (you drive) with your tuner tweaking in the passenger seat and try to get it to hesitate with multiple throttle blips. Have him dial out the problem spots (having a wideband in the car is a necessity for him to do his job properly - and the stock widebands work well only from about 13-15 AFR).
Old 09-01-2008, 04:58 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by SnyperZ
Anyone have any idea why my car surges under light throttle and stalls when coming to a stop?(its not tuned yet im only running on the basemap.
What does your wideband read under those conditions? You can stall from being too lean or too rich (I would favor lean by your light throttle issue) - need to know which way to correct. If you've got ECU manager open, put both stock widebands in BIG displays so you can catch what they are and/or turn on data logging. The stock widebands seem to respond about 1 full second slower than my TXS tuner reg (just so you recognize their limitation). They are accurate around 14-15 afr based on what my tuner reg reads out. If you dip below 13 they are basically useless so I wouldn't recommend setting targets in your AFR table below 13. This is fine for use under vacuum though because you want your AFRs in the 13-15 range for part throttle driving.

The Haltech makes it too easy to get a "perfect" tune with large corrections from closed feedback. In the main setup menu, you can specify how much correction the closed loop system is allowed to impact the base fuel table. Mine started out at +/- 20%. And although the numbers look great, transient throttle driveability definitely suffers if using the slow, stock widebands. If you've got aftermarket widebands, maybe that'll work. I personally feel the best solution is to dial in the base fuel table under vacuum using no more than plus or minus 10% closed throttle correction. The car drives like a dream if you can dial it in to that level (I'm re-tweaking to get it to +/- 5% only). Not to mention improvement in fuel economy... All depends how much time 2 people are willing to sit in the car together to dial it in... Good luck.

Last edited by rcdash; 09-01-2008 at 05:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Injected Performance brings you HALTECH PLATINUM PNP STANDALONE