Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

UPDATED!! GT MOTORSPORTS Sets the bar! VQ35DE 855RWHP @ 22 PSI

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 08:15 PM
Roughdragon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Job Sam! My car is going to be ready soon right?? Yup, getting the 4.24L stroker from Sam. Oh BTW thanks for giving me the Stroker for FREE!!!....J/K. I have to give Sam a hard time. I can say that my car was the first car Sam put a 350z APS twin turbo. I remember Sam and I posted a dynochart on the 350z forum about 2 years ago and boy was there a lot of non-believers. Sam always believed in what he wanted to do, like starting GTM with his own definition of car modification. Ok, Sam is that enough or do I still need to say more good things...ha..ha. Seriously, I want to say that there were many shops I could have gone to for my modifications, but I chose Sam because of his knowledge and enthusiasm and it shows in your work.

Joe
Old 02-19-2007, 08:18 PM
RBlover69

i can only imagine you guys offering a pacakge with total price with a tuned power level and effeicncy rating etc. lmao. I hope i can see the day where stroked VQs are going to have massive pacakges with the desired HP out put and lesser versions for lesser crazed hp folks lmao.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Sam@GTM
Sponsor
GT Motorsports

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turismo
George, do you think its possible to bore it out even more? What about 4.5 or higher? I just want to know, can it be done. Hell might as well round it up to 5.0
This really is the largest you can storke the engine to, this is a 100mm bore and a 90mm stroke, anything larger than this and you are getting away from the optimum stroke to bore ratio.

So no it is not possible to go any larger

sam
Old 02-19-2007, 11:11 PM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the Nissan Pathfinder mod and how does it help? I think I remember shariff talking about this but I cant find the thread.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:36 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

Simply amazing. This is the stuff of my dreams!
Old 02-20-2007, 05:52 AM
BamBam

Originally Posted by solidsnake
What is the Nissan Pathfinder mod and how does it help? I think I remember shariff talking about this but I cant find the thread.
It is a mod that removes a blocking plate in the rear of the engine to allow additional flow for cooling and an additional thermostat, IIRC
I believe it was designed for the high torque of the pathfinder, but is very useful for us FI guys.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:12 PM
solidsnake

Originally Posted by BamBam
It is a mod that removes a blocking plate in the rear of the engine to allow additional flow for cooling and an additional thermostat, IIRC
I believe it was designed for the high torque of the pathfinder, but is very useful for us FI guys.

Do you have link to a How To?
Old 02-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BamBam
I believe it was a mod first reported by Doug at CrawfordZ.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:00 PM
BamBam

Here is a thread with some pics and details of 2 different methods.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ght=pathfinder

In this thread is a link (Post #4 by RickDogg) to the ORIGINAL post with details on the reason and benefits of this mod. Yes it was Doug that first discovered this.

Good luck.
--B
Old 02-21-2007, 06:20 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle(Houston)
"Anyone can make power on a dyno, but not everyone can make it last in the real world."

LOL what a true statement

Not to take anything away but what were the SAE corrected numbers? STD is usually anywhere from 5%-10% higher depending on the conditions.

Congrats

ok... now YES very nice work, and i am not trying to stirr anything major here, but i think we have all agreed that with all this FI dynos its always best to use Uncorrected numbers, right?

So why did everybody forgot this post by kyle?. I think its amazing work and jsut as he said not trying to take ANYTHING away from this monster Z or the shops work but....

If you look at the first dyno sheet, it says 800.1 whp and if you look at the sides of the dyno graph it says STD Horsepower and STD torque. That is the highest correction factor you can have. It's usually 5-10% higher then the actually number. Everyone knows that when you dyno a FI car, you dyno it using the "uncorrected" correction factor (Alberto has beat on this fact many times and surprised he didn't raise the issue here). There are 6 correction choices:

Uncorrected
SAE
DIN
EED
STD
JIS

Now on a random run on a friends car made 437.63 RWHP. Now look at the numbers corrected:

Uncorrected - 437.63
SAE - 450.73
DIN - 462.00
EEC - 450.99
STD - 459.25
JIS - 452.38

As you can see STD id the second Highest correct factor!

So if possible id like to see the uncorrected number sheets too...

Again, not trying to take anything away from anybody here, i am just showing a simple point here that i think everybody would probably agree.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:29 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Correction factors are very dependent on temperature and ambient conditions. On a given day, your list will be correct, but if the car was dyno'ed as close to STD conditions as possible, there will be little change.

IMHO, STD is a more realistic assessement of power, because it assumes more typical ambient conditions. SAE is pretty extreme. I dont have the exact ambient conditions that STD and SAE are corrected to, but I am sure someone can dig them up.

From general experience, we usually see just a handful of whp difference between STD and SAE....and your list seems to support that.

Just an FYI, an uncorrected number will be much HIGHER, if you dyno a cold day. And to make things even more confusing, our Dyno Dynamics dyno only uses STD correction....no other options. Yet, our numbers are about 10-13% lower than a dynojet STD number.

Any way you slice it, this is a great accomplishment.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:38 AM
ImportPartsPro
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
I agree 110%

GTM is doing some really nice stuff!!
Old 02-21-2007, 06:39 AM
IIQuickSilverII

that i agree 1000%

i am just saying why not just post uncorrected and leave no room for debate that any correction had any play in what happened(or guessing what was the hp increase, whether it was close or not)... and also then post the temperatures at the time it was dyno-ed. I don't think in Cali it was as cold as were you are at anyways

bottom line dynos are just a tool for tunning...

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 02-21-2007 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:44 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Quicksilver,

The correction factors don't automatically bring the numbers up. They can just as easily bring the numbers down too.

Its all dependant on the atmospheric conditions.

The important thing to note is that the correction factor used (or lack of one) is clearly shown on the dyno plot.

EDIT: Yes, it would be helpfull to know temperature, pressure and humidity but having been in the area at the time, I can tell you it was a warm day when the plot was generated.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 02-21-2007 at 06:47 AM.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:53 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Quicksilver,

The correction factors don't automatically bring the numbers up. They can just as easily bring the numbers down too.

Its all dependant on the atmospheric conditions.

The important thing to note is that the correction factor used (or lack of one) is clearly shown on the dyno plot.

yes T
sharif and kyle mentioned that already... and that why i said better to just post uncorrected and then the temp comdition, and not let any correction take part of the thing and make this more debatable, i mean it would either take away the 800 whp claim or make it higher...

in any case as a friend said whp numbers dont mean anything to the true exhibition of power of the car is at the track!
Old 02-21-2007, 07:08 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
yes T
sharif and kyle mentioned that already...
I think we were all replying the same response at the same time... But yes, there were no unusual atmospheric conditions that day. In fact, it was another beautiful blue spring day in Cali.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:16 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
I think we were all replying the same response at the same time... But yes, there were no unusual atmospheric conditions that day. In fact, it was another beautiful blue spring day in Cali.

ok so then it woudl take away the 800 whp claim with uncorrected numbers? again this all jsut puts more debate than needed = show uncorrected numbers and temp condition of that nice blue spring day in cali
Old 02-21-2007, 07:24 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Quicksilver, I think you are misinterpreting the term "uncorrected". Nobody uses uncorrected numbers when dyno tuning a car. Numbers are 99% of the time, displayed as either SAE correction, or STD correction. Uncorrected numbers are meaningless for comparison purposes, which is why nobody uses them. It tells you the actual power the car put down at that moment in time, and will vary wildely based on ambient conditions. So some dyno operators use STD correction, and others use SAE correction.

IMHO, STD or SAE are fine, as long as we know what they used. GTM posts mostly STD numbers, which is fine, so we can compare the other cars they have tuned...with this one here.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:43 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Quicksilver, I think you are misinterpreting the term "uncorrected". Nobody uses uncorrected numbers when dyno tuning a car. Numbers are 99% of the time, displayed as either SAE correction, or STD correction. Uncorrected numbers are meaningless for comparison purposes, which is why nobody uses them. It tells you the actual power the car put down at that moment in time, and will vary wildely based on ambient conditions. So some dyno operators use STD correction, and others use SAE correction.

IMHO, STD or SAE are fine, as long as we know what they used. GTM posts mostly STD numbers, which is fine, so we can compare the other cars they have tuned...with this one here.
for sure i agree 10000% and specially the part of "as long as we know what they used". The curves in the dynojet sheet is amazing. I know you dyno is different(dyno dynamics) btw ahha and it read lower which is why many called it the "heartbreaker" lol
That being said, my point is, and i wanna ask Sam why he hoose STD over SAE correction. SAE is the standard in all automotive engineering and even if theoretically depending on temp condition uncorrected could go up or down....STD is higher then SAE.
It would probably take the 800 whp claim, for now, i am sure he can get the car there corrected uncorrected no mattter how, but at this point there was no need to post the correction that more ovbiously shows the highest whp increase.

ninja edit: Just to name a few examples here...major supra shops such as Wotm Titan and a few others that post very high whp numbers they are always SAE

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 02-21-2007 at 07:49 AM.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:50 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Quicksilver-Your thinking about the non corrected being best when discussing Dyno Dynamics-as most DD shop owners put the Dynojet BS correction on their numbers. In a Dynojet case, I wouldnt be interested in non corrected actual numbers as it has been mentioned, on a cold day #'s can be way up and on a hot day down. On a Dyno DYnamics I prefer seeing 1.00/STD correction, on a Dynojet Id like to see SAE or STD....Sam likely chose STD correction because like Sharif mentioned the correction added to the actual numbers isnt as "stingy" as SAE and you can compare between STD #'s on a Dynojet to STD #'s on a Dyno Dynamics-like Sharif runs. Even then on my car at 15psi I dyno'd 40whp higher on a Dynojet, using the same correction. BTW-STD vs SAE on my car NA was 2-5whp more, with FI on the TN it was 5-10whp more, not a huge diference as I think you make it out to be.

Last edited by Alberto; 02-21-2007 at 07:53 AM.

Quick Reply: UPDATED!! GT MOTORSPORTS Sets the bar! VQ35DE 855RWHP @ 22 PSI