Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

taurran : "Testing new waters" with the Turbonetics ST

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 11:08 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know a much easier, less costly, and less time consuming way to upgrade the Turbonetics kit. Unbolt it and stuff a Greddy TT in there. Fo' Sho'.

It's a close race. My car should be done tomorrow. Comming up on 7 months now! I'm passing you on the last stretch here Craig.

JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 12-16-2007 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:51 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Craig,
Just curious,at this point in your project,what exactly differs from the Power Lab single turbo kit as far as the modifications you have done? You stated you have redone all of the intake and exhaust piping to larger diameter,and larger WG.Isnt that the same as the PL kit?
Also, any pics of the current modifications you guys made or is this all Top Secret Classified info?
Old 12-17-2007, 04:16 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by r0mey
thread open? since OT is gone craig? if not we can re close it
Thanks Rome, I swear they issue you guys Blackberries with your mod access because the response time on issues is ridiculously fast. Good job mods!
Old 12-17-2007, 04:42 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
I know a much easier, less costly, and less time consuming way to upgrade the Turbonetics kit. Unbolt it and stuff a Greddy TT in there. Fo' Sho'.

It's a close race. My car should be done tomorrow. Comming up on 7 months now! I'm passing you on the last stretch here Craig.

JET
I'm not going to argue on that one. Then again, I've never been a fan of doing things the easy way. Congrats on the car! I look forward to seeing what it finally makes on that TT setup you've got.

The only thing holding up my car right now is my mufflers. I probably won't pick it up until after I get back in town around New Years because the new Ti tipped mufflers should be getting drop shipped to PF later this week, and I'm leaving on Sunday.

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Craig,
Just curious,at this point in your project,what exactly differs from the Power Lab single turbo kit as far as the modifications you have done? You stated you have redone all of the intake and exhaust piping to larger diameter,and larger WG.Isnt that the same as the PL kit?
Also, any pics of the current modifications you guys made or is this all Top Secret Classified info?
It's "pretty much" the same as their stage 1/2 setups, except I'm running a T4 turbo. Due to space restrictions, there's only so big you can go with the pipes without changing other components, so they ended up being almost the same without even discussing design with them. One of our last steps was to replace the crossover pipes with larger diameter piping, and that was the only time we verified that they had done the same without creating another bottleneck. At that point it was the last remaining length of pipe from the stock kit, and was the next logical upgrade.

Our new crossover pipes are most likely routed a bit differently with the new design, as some extra work was put into how the pipes merged in order to improve flow.

As far as it being "top secret", I'm not going to divulge any specific information with respect for the work Performance Factory has put into it. If JT wants to be detailed with a description of the piping, I'll let him give the info. Sorry.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:43 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JETPILOT

JET
Craig's car should be alot fatser than a greddy car though......so you better watch out. Craig might pass you on the highway.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:42 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by taurran
The PL kit looks great for its intended purpose. It's basically the same as the Turbonetics design with much larger components.

i dont wanna get this thread OT but since this is the topic of conversation...this post is totally incorrect, specially since he hasnt even seen the kit ever. And if it was similar to Tn with jsut some bigger piping then why when OP tried to just mod the piping of his existing TN kit he couldnt get his piping to flow well enough. PL stage 1 and 1.5 have proven to flow to 700whp.
His : "It's "pretty much" the same" comments are bogus and its all really "What he thinks"

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 12-17-2007 at 06:48 AM.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:57 AM
maximumsportZ

Originally Posted by Zivman
Oh ****, this thing is still in the works??? I thought all parties involved threw in the towel and cut their losses. PF has brought forth two essentially historic, nearly dead and buried builds in the last few weeks with this one and Chris'...

Would love to see dyno charts and/or vids rather more talk
I hope your coming to ZdayZ because I'm calling you out!!
Old 12-17-2007, 06:57 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
i dont wanna get this thread OT but since this is the topic of conversation...this post is totally incorrect, specially since he hasnt even seen the kit ever. And if it was similar to Tn with jsut some bigger piping then why when OP tried to just mod the piping of his existing TN kit he couldnt get his piping to flow well enough. PL stage 1 and 1.5 have proven to flow to 700whp.
His : "It's "pretty much" the same" comments are bogus and its all really "What he thinks"
You do want to take it off topic or you wouldn't repeatedly push this issue as if you had any active roll in the design of the PL kit.

The piping is routed generally the same, with larger diameter piping being utilized. It's not a bad thing, just the way it is. You have two manifolds crossing over to the drivers side of the motor and merging into one up-pipe. You have a turbo sitting on top of that up-pipe. You have a downpipe going down past the drivers side header.

Prove it otherwise in your own thread. The piping is routed the same way in the stage 1/1.5/2/etc kits, with exception being the intake charge pipe. The only other change may be the wastegate location and dump, which I could care less about because my car is directly dumped to the atmosphere. Until you can prove or realistically say otherwise, keep your naysaying out of here. Thanks.

And FYI, or piping is still routed generally the same as the Turbonetics piping but a larger diameter, it's just slightly tweaked for clearance and with a tweaked up-pipe. We did it one step at a time in order to find specific bottlenecks, and such is the reason its taken multiple updates to clear up the system.

Last edited by taurran; 12-17-2007 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:07 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

You do want to take it off topic or you wouldn't repeatedly push this issue as if you had any active roll in the design of the PL kit.

The piping is routed generally the same, with larger diameter piping being utilized. It's not a bad thing, just the way it is. You have two manifolds crossing over to the drivers side of the motor and merging into one up-pipe. You have a turbo sitting on top of that up-pipe. You have a downpipe going down past the drivers side header.

Prove it otherwise in your own thread. The piping is routed the same way in the stage 1/1.5/2/etc kits, with exception being the intake charge pipe. The only other change may be the wastegate location and dump, which I could care less about because my car is directly dumped to the atmosphere. Until you can prove or realistically say otherwise, keep your naysaying out of here. Thanks.

And FYI, or piping is still routed generally the same as the Turbonetics piping but a larger diameter, it's just slightly tweaked for clearance and with a tweaked up-pipe. We did it one step at a time in order to find specific bottlenecks, and such is the reason its taken multiple updates to clear up the system.
And the PL has already made 700whp + your has not as of yet, so humble up a bit please..
Old 12-17-2007, 07:19 AM
taurran

And the PL has already made 700whp + your has not as of yet, so humble up a bit please..
And? It did so by the use of similar routing as the Turbonetics kit with larger diameter piping. I'm not downplaying it at all, just saying that the overall layout is similar.

I'm also not comparing their kit to mine. They just turned out very similar when all was said and done, because there's not much room to play with when routing a turbo to that location.

Am I making sense here?
Old 12-17-2007, 07:23 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

And? It did so by the use of similar routing as the Turbonetics kit with larger diameter piping. I'm not downplaying it at all, just saying that the overall layout is similar.

I'm also not comparing their kit to mine. They just turned out very similar when all was said and done, because there's not much room to play with when routing a turbo to that location.

Am I making sense here?
'

Yes you are making sense completely.What Im trying to point out is that 95% of your piping was redone to achieve your goals,and it is similar to the PL kit. Now get on the F'in Dyno already!!
Old 12-17-2007, 07:32 AM
taurran

'

Yes you are making sense completely.What Im trying to point out is that 95% of your piping was redone to achieve your goals,and it is similar to the PL kit. Now get on the F'in Dyno already!!
Okay, well I'm glad I'm getting the point across without it being taken out of context by everyone.

I have no idea what the car will be capable of truthfully. If it doesn't flow for 600-700whp at this point, I'll just concede to be content with 550-600whp for the time being. If it flows for power at higher boost levels then we'll push it as far as the UTEC can safely control it.

Still waiting on hearing news back from PF...
Old 12-17-2007, 09:34 AM
diwun67

Originally Posted by Zilvia
oh snap.....let see some vids

Craig your gonna have to give me a ride at Zdayz man....so i can compare the old with the new hehehe
+1 and current TN owners first
Old 12-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Zilvia

pop....guess i need get 3k and get that Turbonetics top mount kit for my SR then
Old 12-17-2007, 11:03 AM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadCam
Craig's car should be alot fatser than a greddy car though......so you better watch out. Craig might pass you on the highway.
WTF DUDE!!! I thought we were friends.

JET
Old 12-17-2007, 11:12 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Okay, well I'm glad I'm getting the point across without it being taken out of context by everyone.

I have no idea what the car will be capable of truthfully. If it doesn't flow for 600-700whp at this point, I'll just concede to be content with 550-600whp for the time being. If it flows for power at higher boost levels then we'll push it as far as the UTEC can safely control it.

Still waiting on hearing news back from PF...

Why did you decide not to go for an EMS like the FCON, HalTech, or Motec? I'm not cutting down the UTEC, I have it on my on personal car, but I'm just wondering what you're rationale is.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:18 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by JAMEZ
Why did you decide not to go for an EMS like the FCON, HalTech, or Motec? I'm not cutting down the UTEC, I have it on my on personal car, but I'm just wondering what you're rationale is.
I got a UTEC used for cheap. Also, at the time I didn't want to go with an FCON, and will be looking at either a Pro EFI or Haltech unit once there is more real world data on both.

The ProEFI sounds almost too good to be true. I'll run it for the simple fact that I'll never have to tune it, but would rather have other people play guinea pig and submit feedback first.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any update?
Old 12-17-2007, 12:34 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by Alberto
Any update?
Tried calling earlier but AJ was there and said he'd have Jeremy call me back. I haven't heard anything yet. I'll try again...
Old 12-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

I would rather have other people play guinea pig and submit feedback first.
LOLZ Pretty Ironic huh?

Quick Reply: taurran : "Testing new waters" with the Turbonetics ST