Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

My "Z33Art" Custom Supercharger Build *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 06:59 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadCam
does it have 2 engines in it? 1 in front; 1 in back?
To my knowledge no it didn't. And actually I don't think it is an Escudo anymore. I believe it is a Grand Vitara unless they are one and the same.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:47 AM
RebelinRI
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Instead of on-line poker I guess I should learn using our new Solidworks package. I'm still stuck in the MasterCam 9.x era! Nice work!!
Old 12-03-2007, 09:30 AM
Quamen

Originally Posted by RebelinRI
Instead of on-line poker I guess I should learn using our new Solidworks package. I'm still stuck in the MasterCam 9.x era! Nice work!!

MasterCam is still a very powerful software (I still like SurfCam better). However, as a CAM software instead of a CAD software it can still be very difficult to make certain surface features in comparison to SolidWorks.

928 Intake Manifold Rough Concept (same design as what Porsche switched to in 84 all the way to the 90's but will be suited for boost):

Changes are going to be made to runner length/diameter and velocity stack design and dimensions. Transitions will be smoothed out as necessary via research done in FlowWorks. Also there will obviously be end caps on the plenums and the bottom may be round and not square depending on what we decide based on research.

Traditional Manifolds found on the 32V motors:

As you can see we are just doing to the 16V what Porsche later did to the 32V but designed for boost.

Last edited by Quamen; 12-03-2007 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:48 AM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

quamen, im from greenfield/milwaukee, we should meet up sometime with zcrew of wisconsin
Old 12-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Quamen

Center section from the intake manifold above put onto the CIS throttle body is a perfect fit and will reuce the amount of fabrication needed. Now we can basically build two 4-cylinder manifolds with side feed on them. I should be machining the flanges/injector bungs in the next 2 weeks once I get the material.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:31 AM
Cube

Don't remember if you mentioned this at all, do you plan on venting the hood in the front? I just don't see how the radiator will pass much airflow in that location since the fan has very little clearance under the hood.

So you switched from the original design by making the I/C down bottom, not angled at all (completely vertical) and the radiator up top horizontal?
Old 12-17-2007, 01:10 PM
xlr8r

Very interesting ideas. I'm still deciding what to do with my intake manifold & what you are working on for the Porsche is similar to one idea I had. Makes me think it's more of a possibility after seeing yours.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:33 PM
Quamen

Originally Posted by Cube
Don't remember if you mentioned this at all, do you plan on venting the hood in the front? I just don't see how the radiator will pass much airflow in that location since the fan has very little clearance under the hood.

So you switched from the original design by making the I/C down bottom, not angled at all (completely vertical) and the radiator up top horizontal?

I will be either venting the stock hood by some manner or getting s vented hood. With the proper ducting and fans the radiator will get plenty of air to keep the car cool. The intercooler will still be at an angle like a normal v-mount.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:25 PM
Quamen

Welded Rear Coolant Pipe to -16AN

Thermostat w/ re-angled -16AN Inlet

Turnbuckle for 3rd stabilizing point on supercharger bracket

Rubber bushings w/Nylon inserts for mounting radiator

Note that these parts are obviously not buffed and will be powder coated when it is all said and done.

I also got the rest of the fittings for my fuel gauge and my new Amsoil air filter.

I am going to be ordering my fans, the rest of my coolant system AN fittings, inlet pipe for supercharger, and the fittings for the supercharger oil system shortly.

I am in need of some input on an issue though.
One issue that I have to figure out is that the banjo fitting that goes to the power steering pump (with the sensor port and hard line) is in the way of my radiator. I am looking for a way to reroute this and if anyone has any ideas in regards to ways that I can do this I would be very interested in hearing. I tried to rotate the fitting backwards and even if I cut the tab off that is used for locating the fitting the sensor will run into the other port on the side of the pump. Just looking for some ideas.

Thank ahead of time.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Quamen

So far it looks like my best option would be to cut the hardling off where it meets the banjo fitting, weld it shut, weld a AN fitting to the top of the actual bajo bolt and drill a hole through the top of the bolt. Then I could reconnect the power steering line to the pump through the AN fitting and still retain the sensor but allow more freedom for me to move the line.

Any cons to doing this?
Old 12-29-2007, 09:00 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

where do you get coolant lines with -16An fittings? I have never seen make-your-own braided coolant lines.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:55 AM
Quamen

Originally Posted by QuadCam
where do you get coolant lines with -16An fittings? I have never seen make-your-own braided coolant lines.

Take a look at the K&N G35. Exact same thing:

I did quite a bit of research with Howe about this. They said that for my application this should be more than enough. They use -16an with the same size radiator on a number of higher horsepower LS1 engines they have done without issues.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:28 AM
Quamen

Does anyone know where I can get good power steering hose (pressure side) and power steering fittings?
Old 12-30-2007, 01:06 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like you are making good progress with your project Quamen !
Old 12-30-2007, 01:43 PM
cbr900son

Damn even after getting a degree in mechanical engineering i feel like a noob to the amount of work u put into this lol.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:09 PM
Quamen

Originally Posted by cbr900son
Damn even after getting a degree in mechanical engineering i feel like a noob to the amount of work u put into this lol.
Lol. I have one more class and it is a gen ed class, then I will have my ME degree at which point I wills start going to Milwaukee School of Engineering for more schooling.

One of my biggest benefits has been working for an automotive company part-time, working full-time in manufacturing and going to school full-time. It has allowed me to really fine tune everything that I learn as I go.

I found the perfect place for the 3rd support point/turnbuckle for the supercharger bracket for flex-free operation!!!!
Old 12-30-2007, 02:17 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Quamen
Does anyone know where I can get good power steering hose (pressure side) and power steering fittings?
I went thru all this when I relocated my power steering.

When I get home ill see if i have the part number. Russel makes some quality and rather inexpensive powersteering plumbing parts.

I used one of their pump fittings, threaded right into the stock pump. There were 2 styles that fit, but one of them threaded too far in and pushed open the relief valve a little and my PS didnt work unless I rev'd high. I changed the fitting for the shorter one and the problem was fixed.

Then I used a -6 fitting that is meant for adding a fuel pressure gauge, and I drilled and tapped the bung for the stock PS pressure sensor and threaded it in there. Then I used Russel stainless braided PS lines and fittings to get to the rack from there.

One thing, I never wired up the pressure sensor on that side of the engine bay. its in, but I did not hook it up. Everything works just fine and I dont get any check engine light, but it does store a trouble code and therefore my Z is on expired registration because I cannot pass emissions. Go figure, like the PS system has anything to do with emissions. All it does it raise the idle a little when you give the PS a lot of work at idle, but my 900rpm idle is fine and the engine doesnt slow down at all when i turn the wheel.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:21 PM
Quamen

Originally Posted by phunk
I went thru all this when I relocated my power steering.

When I get home ill see if i have the part number. Russel makes some quality and rather inexpensive powersteering plumbing parts.

I used one of their pump fittings, threaded right into the stock pump. There were 2 styles that fit, but one of them threaded too far in and pushed open the relief valve a little and my PS didnt work unless I rev'd high. I changed the fitting for the shorter one and the problem was fixed.

Then I used a -6 fitting that is meant for adding a fuel pressure gauge, and I drilled and tapped the bung for the stock PS pressure sensor and threaded it in there. Then I used Russel stainless braided PS lines and fittings to get to the rack from there.

One thing, I never wired up the pressure sensor on that side of the engine bay. its in, but I did not hook it up. Everything works just fine and I dont get any check engine light, but it does store a trouble code and therefore my Z is on expired registration because I cannot pass emissions. Go figure, like the PS system has anything to do with emissions. All it does it raise the idle a little when you give the PS a lot of work at idle, but my 900rpm idle is fine and the engine doesnt slow down at all when i turn the wheel.
Just tried calling you but I believe I only have your shop phone number....

If you get some time can you help me figure out which ones would work?

Also, I need to purchase the adaptor for -6AN to the stock fuel pump or would you suggest just tapping into the factory hard line up in the engine bay?
Old 12-30-2007, 03:06 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Originally Posted by Quamen
Just tried calling you but I believe I only have your shop phone number....

If you get some time can you help me figure out which ones would work?

Also, I need to purchase the adaptor for -6AN to the stock fuel pump or would you suggest just tapping into the factory hard line up in the engine bay?
I am at the shop changing fuel pump parts on the CNC right now, I think I left the phone in my truck.

When I get home in a couple hours ill look on my computer, I think i saved the part number for the pump fitting I used.

the factory hardline will be good for probably 500rwhp supercharged... I am not sure what your goals are. After 500 I would be worried about pressure drop across the injectors.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:14 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

OK looks like I have the box of parts I ordered for the PS pump plumbing here.

Punch in these part numbers at summit to see them.

At first I tried RUS-648060, this is the one that went in too far and pushed open the relief valve. I am sure the extra part could have been trimmed off, but I had another fittign I ordered to try as well that worked just fine. It was RUS-670531.

I am 90% that is the one I ended up using. IIRC, it still threaded very deep, and without the stock sealing washer it was going to bottom out before getting tight. It might have bottomed out when torqueing it, but it sealed up with no leak at all.

From here, just use -6 stuff. I used the Russel endura steel fittings since I believe PS pressure is super high inbetween the pump and the rack, not sure how high, but I used the stronger stuff just in case.

I cant remember what I threaded into the rack, it might have been the same fitting, but I dont recall. Actually I think it was different, you will have to check the threads.

Russel has a decent price hose for use with the endura fittings that is rated for PS use. IIRC, it was some type of compression ferral setup in those hose ends for that specific hose. Peek on their website.

Quick Reply: My "Z33Art" Custom Supercharger Build *PICS*