Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

My "Z33Art" Custom Supercharger Build *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 12:36 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My "Z33Art" Custom Supercharger Build *PICS*

As many of you know I am building my own supercharger kit using a V-mount radiator/intercooler setup. If you are unaware of this just search the forced induction forum for "Z33Art" and you will find a couple of threads I started about this setup. For this reason I am going to cut to the chase with pictures and brief description to start with in order to keep those who have been following my build happy. Later, when I get time, I will make the descriptions more in depth as to why I chose certain designs over another.

Note: Vortech V2 Supercharger. Also currently running a Clutchmasters FX400 clutch and JWT flywheel

Main Goal: Make a supercharger kit that was unique and contained numerous parts which I myself machined/fabricated or designed and had custom made. Power goal is somewhere between 350-400whp.... to start with

Original design concept:

Original supercharger bracket design concept:

Final Bracket:

Mounted Supercharger:

Finalized supercharger spacer setup:

Solid motor mounts:

New Cross Brace:

Custom Bell intercooler:

Custom Unorthodox Crank Pulley:

Amsoil Ea Filter (right):

Modified upper plenum (has since been polished better on outside):

Oil Catch Can:

Rough Intercooler location (Not angled in picture or as low as it will be):

Flange for the bypass valve I'm making:

Just some other goodies laying around:

My nice brand new super expensive ($320 ) custom Howe radiator
(amazing quality at an unbeatable price):

Inline Filler Location

What it will look like minus piping

What car looks like

Primary Tooling/Technology used to make most of these parts:
-Solidworks
-MasterCam X2
-SurfCam Velocity
-FeatureCam
-Emco Live Tooling Turning Center
-Haas VF3
-Bridgeport Manual Mills
-Lathes

What I still have to do:
-Finish bypass valve body
-Order some more fittings
-Install fuel system (still need to get connector to convert from stock outlet to -6an)
-Make mounts for intercooler and radiator (very easy and simple to make)
-Powder coat various parts
-Mount oil catch can
-Make/mount coolant reservoir
-Get power steering and oil cooler and mount
-Make intercooler piping
-Tune

Thanks go out to the my350z.com community for your support and informational help. Thanks also go out to Charles (Phunk) at CJM, Jeremy at PF, Rick Yancer at Howe Racing, Shawn at Unorthodox Racing, Gerhard at Bell Intercoolers, Carl at 928 Motorsports, Frank at Vortech, and Booger/Jay'Z/Sentry for always being up for some good discussions about supercharging the car we all have come to love! Last, but not least, I have to thank my girlfriend for putting up with my expensive hobby and the countless hours of my time it takes up.

Last edited by Quamen; 01-14-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:36 AM
Quamen

This post is in case you didn't see my post in other vehicles a while back.

As some of you may know, from fall of 2006 to summer of 2007 I was one of three people who built the Porsche 928 for 928 Motorsports in Wisconsin which in July attended the Pikes Peak International Hillclimb and placed 3rd in the Open division. This is no small task to complete as just making it up the hill with out ruining your car or going off a cliff (Ken Gushi fell fate to engineers corner) is a huge accomplishment in itself. Not only was a key person in the build and design of this car but I was also the official Crew Chief for 928M at Pikes Peak.

This car was a huge build and took a ton of money and time as most if not all race car do. It recently put down 462hp. This is a huge accomplishment if consider that this car still uses mechanical fuel injection or what is know as continuous injection. I made key modifications to the fuel system to allow for altitude compensation and for higher fuel flow capabilities. Since the completion of Pikes Peak and heading intot he winter months we are making some more modification to the car to hopefully get it well into the 500hp range. One of the key components that we are changing is that our fluid dynamic engineer and I are starting to work in unison on a new intake manifold that will be designed for higher flow and the desired rpm range. This will be done using both Solidworks and FlowWorks in conjuntion with his knowledge of resonance and flow characteristics and my fabrication skills. I will post progress as we go.

Until then here are some pictures of the Pikes Peak Hillclimb, the car build and me building the motor.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Quamen; 12-02-2007 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:15 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 785 Posts

looks good!

few questions: how do you plan on tensioning the sc drive belt? and is it a pita or what to change the drive belt? Looks like the bracket and sc have to be removed from the motor and then taken apart to get the belt out.

what are you doing with the vortech bypass valve if your going custom?
Old 11-28-2007, 06:18 AM
App6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys like you give me hope for the DIY in any aspect.

I truly believe I can do anything if I just plan ahead.

Great job!
Old 11-28-2007, 07:10 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

that radiator is badass, especially for $320
Old 11-28-2007, 07:25 AM
Quamen

Originally Posted by CUxtopher
looks good!

few questions: how do you plan on tensioning the sc drive belt? and is it a pita or what to change the drive belt? Looks like the bracket and sc have to be removed from the motor and then taken apart to get the belt out.

what are you doing with the vortech bypass valve if your going custom?
The slots allow the headunit to move back and forth. With the four bolts there will be more than enough clamping force to keep the headunit in place. I don't know how to explain it but it is very easy to tighten the belt and the bolts are all very accessable.

Replacing the belt requires loosening two bolts and removing the two middle bolts. That is also quite simple.

In regards to the bypass valve I am just taking the guts of a Vortech bypass valve and making a new body for it. It should look something similar to a TurboSmart or Tial BOV when I am done. There is no real benefit to it other than it will allow me more flexibility with flange loaction and bypass valve orientation.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:29 AM
Quamen

Originally Posted by App6MT
Guys like you give me hope for the DIY in any aspect.

I truly believe I can do anything if I just plan ahead.

Great job!
My advice is that if you do not have the do not have the capabilities to do at least 75% of the work, turbo/supercharger alike, I wouldn't attempt a DIY project. I have already had a large custom single turbo kit that I paid someone else to make and that ended up in a lot of money out of my pocket and a blown motor. When I say a lot of money I mean I could have bought a twin turbo, UTEC, and full fuel system. That was 2 years ago and as much as it sucked it was a learning process for me. It was actually one of the main components in my life that pushed me even further into engineering and machining so as much as it sucked it put me where I am today in regards to many other things.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:32 AM
Quamen

Originally Posted by f1james
that radiator is badass, especially for $320
If I am not mistaken Howe actually offers a 350z application in their radiator line up also. Even if I am mistaken I would sway for anyone how ever wants a custom radiator or possibly even the OEM radiator replaced to consider Howe. Excellent prices, huge design flexibility, great turn around time (2 weeks with Thanksgiving in there), and amazing quality.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:56 AM
IntenseFab
Sponsor
Intense Motorsports

Originally Posted by Quamen
As many of you know I am building my own supercharger kit using a V-mount radiator/intercooler setup. If you are unaware of this just search the forced induction forum for "Z33Art" and you will find a couple of threads I started about this setup. For this reason I am going to cut to the chase with pictures and brief description to start with in order to keep those who have been following my build happy. Later, when I get time, I will make the descriptions more in depth as to why I chose certain designs over another.

Note: Vortech V2 Supercharger

Main Goal: Make a supercharger kit that was unique and contained numerous parts which I myself machined/fabricated or designed and had custom made. Power goal is somewhere between 350-400whp.... to start with

Original design concept:

Original supercharger bracket design concept:

Final Bracket:

Mounted Supercharger:

Finalized supercharger spacer setup:

Solid motor mounts:

New Cross Brace:

Custom Bell intercooler:

Custom Unorthodox Crank Pulley:

Amsoil Ea Filter (right):

Modified upper plenum (has since been polished better on outside):

Oil Catch Can:

Rough Intercooler location (Not angled in picture or as low as it will be):

Flange for the bypass valve I'm making:

Just some other goodies laying around:

My nice brand new super expensive ($320 ) custom Howe radiator
(amazing quality at an unbeatable price):

Thanks go out to the my350z.com community for your support and informational help. Thanks also go out to Charles (Phunk) at CJM, Jeremy at PF, Rick Yancer at Howe Racing, Shawn at Unorthodox Racing, Gerhard at Bell Intercoolers, Carl at 928 Motorsports, Frank at Vortech, and Booger/Jay'Z/Sentry for always being up for some good discussions about supercharging the car we all have come to love! Last, but not least, I have to thank my girlfriend for putting up with my expensive hobby and the countless hours of my time it takes up.
Very Impressive, Nice Solidwork Skills.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:47 AM
Quamen

I'm actually considering reworking the belt tensioner for the stock A/C and making it fit the 8-rib belt.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:33 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you do some very high end work man. you outta start doing product R&D for a company or do a small product line of your own. having parts to barter with make it a lot more affordable to build a race car!!!
Old 12-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Quamen

Originally Posted by phunk
you do some very high end work man. you outta start doing product R&D for a company or do a small product line of your own. having parts to barter with make it a lot more affordable to build a race car!!!
I really appreciate the comment. I still have yet to come down to Chi-town and see your car.

I test fitted the radiator today and it is going to look and work great! Pics soon to come!
Old 12-02-2007, 08:46 AM
Quamen

Originally Posted by phunk
Know of any places in Chi-town looking for someone in that line of work?

I setup and program CNC's currently and design tooling for machining castings currently. I would like to get more into design work though.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Quamen

Update in first post and added 928 Motorsports post.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats good **** bro.. Cant wait to see it running!!
Old 12-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Quamen

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
Thats good **** bro.. Cant wait to see it running!!
I have two more weeks left in this semester of school and then I am going to really start putting in hours each night on this project. I should have it up and running with the radiator/intercooler mounted, full coolant system done and the supercharger oil lines run by mid January. Unfortunately I won't be able to get my UTEC and injectors until tax return time so I can't get the piping connected until then. However, I will be able to use that time to work out any bugs w/o it being supercharged.

Note: Not saying that I am going to be driving my car around as if it was supercharged because that would be really dumb. I am going to test the radiator out and make sure that everything with the supercharger is working properly such as belt alignment/tension.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:24 PM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Awesome work man. Keep it up. Doing this different, Very nice.

Chris
Old 12-02-2007, 05:44 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is that the Suzuki Escudo....made famous in Gran Tourismo 2?
Old 12-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Quamen

Originally Posted by QuadCam
is that the Suzuki Escudo....made famous in Gran Tourismo 2?
Yes it is the same car. Tajima beat Rod Millen's 1994 record this year at 10 minutes and 1 second. That Suzuki was insane to watch go up the hill during practice and the race.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:30 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

does it have 2 engines in it? 1 in front; 1 in back?

Quick Reply: My "Z33Art" Custom Supercharger Build *PICS*