Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

1st Time attack with some dissappointments

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 06:29 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
if you are blowing fuses, that obviously means you need a bigger fuse. i would put a 100 amp or something in there...
Just use some 12 gauge wire
Old 05-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
I find it ironic that people think that shop owners are in this for the money. As any shop owner will tell you.....running a performance shop is probably one of the least profitable businesses you can try and run. We spend way more hours on the car, then we bill for. .

very true.... i ***** about it every day. you just cant charge 8 hours to install a 100 dollar part sometimes.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:49 PM
XKR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

You know, in retrospect, we should have never touched this project....and many people advised me not to work on the car....after the whole RA fiasco.
I thought I heard someone call my name
Old 05-04-2008, 07:49 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by XKR
Are the stock ones better
The stock fans/relays are rated below what FP puts in. That's just it. You can keep upgrading wires, relays, and fuses. That will only make the problem worse by covering up the symptoms. There is a short somewhere. Either in the motor or in wiring that perhaps overheated at some point in the past.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete@BC
Actually at the St. Louis event we were testing some new suspension and brakes. There are a few things the car definately needs drastically. 1 is the stock diff has to go. Second much needed downforce. The car couldn't keep the tires planted on the track even with the R888. Those two things should help substantially be consistant on the track. I'm gonna call our guy that cornerbalances to check what weight we are. I'll be suprised if I lost 50lbs. The full interior is in, minus the rear seats. Probably loosing some weight will be on the list, but not sure when that will take place. I'd like to document the weight now, versus the weight later and so on.
sweet, I love the really aggressive diffs never got to roadrace my car yet though. on the street it's a blast.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:17 PM
go-fast
Banned

Go-Fast. Pete didn't call us. After seeing the thread, I immediately called him. I am still waiting for my call back at this point.

You know, in retrospect, we should have never touched this project....and many people advised me not to work on the car....after the whole RA fiasco.

We have stood behind our work countless times, even as a result of issues that were not out fault, and have helped people out, without thinking twice.

I find it ironic that people think that shop owners are in this for the money. As any shop owner will tell you.....running a performance shop is probably one of the least profitable businesses you can try and run. We spend way more hours on the car, then we bill for. In the case of Pete's car, we did the job at cost and made nothing on it....just to get some exposure at SEMA. Rampant online parts discounting means that we make next to nothing on parts too! What a great way to cash in!! We do this because we LIKE what we do, and it's a passion for us.
they present you with a burnt line and your retort is that other people touched the car,what difference does it make that someone else built the motor?or tuned it for that matter?you did the assembly and thats where the issue seems to be.and of course you are in this for the money and i dont blame you.free work on a sema car is an attempt to grow your business,if your interest was pure passion you would either be a trust fund baby or homeless.so dont blow smoke about sufferage under the hood and freebies that dont play out(free work on a sema car?....sucker).your diverting from the real issue of your install and this poor guys car fire.i remember a throttle linkage bind on one of my custs cars due to my engineering flaw and all i could due is beg forgiveness and feel shame,seems you dont have that problem.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Pete@BC

Originally Posted by go-fast
they present you with a burnt line and your retort is that other people touched the car,what difference does it make that someone else built the motor?or tuned it for that matter?you did the assembly and thats where the issue seems to be.and of course you are in this for the money and i dont blame you.free work on a sema car is an attempt to grow your business,if your interest was pure passion you would either be a trust fund baby or homeless.so dont blow smoke about sufferage under the hood and freebies that dont play out(free work on a sema car?....sucker).your diverting from the real issue of your install and this poor guys car fire.i remember a throttle linkage bind on one of my custs cars due to my engineering flaw and all i could due is beg forgiveness and feel shame,seems you dont have that problem.
In Sharif's defense I will say he did call me the morning after I posted. I was working on a vehicle and had my hands full. From lookin over a IM I recieved from him though. I don't seem to believe this was going to be a what happened how can I help call. I think it was of best intrest to both him and I we didn't speak Friday. Having the car taken to Forged doesn't make sense financially to me. 1st because those issues were repaired at the track by myself. 2, Diesel isn't cheap these days. So 17 hrs round trip twice, plus the cost of diesel isn't worth it. 3rd, Performance Factory is local and can attend to any needs I may have.

I'll be posting some videos and pictures in the morning. I'm removing the 2nd picture off this post after reviewing it, I think I did let the heat of the moment get to me. Even under the giving circumstances it was unprofessional on my part, and I apologize.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:01 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

^^^

so after all the crying about FP isntall you arent going to give them a chance to stand behind their work and fix your issues, despite all the hookup of parts and install cost he did for you?
Not sure how you claim no bad intention with your thread considering you had already made up your mind about not going back up there.

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 05-04-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:06 PM
go-fast
Banned

In Sharif's defense I will say he did call me the morning after I posted. I was working on a vehicle and had my hands full. From lookin over a IM I recieved from him though. I don't seem to believe this was going to be a what happened how can I help call. I think it was of best intrest to both him and I we didn't speak Friday. Having the car taken to Forged doesn't make sense financially to me. 1st because those issues were repaired at the track by myself. 2, Diesel isn't cheap these days. So 17 hrs round trip twice, plus the cost of diesel isn't worth it. 3rd, Performance Factory is local and can attend to any needs I may have.

I'll be posting some videos and pictures in the morning. I'm removing the 2nd picture off this post after reviewing it, I think I did let the heat of the moment get to me. Even under the giving circumstances it was unprofessional on my part, and I apologize.
others posted of your kindness and it seems to be true.you win the nice guy award for sure.out of respect for you i will bow out of your thread.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Pete@BC

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
^^^

so after all the crying about FP isntall you arent going to give them a chance to stand behind their work and fix your issues, despite all the hookup of parts and install cost he did for you?
Not sure how you claim no bad intention with your thread considering you had already made up your mind about not going back up there.

If I held off on them fixing the problems, we wouldn't have made the sessions. It wouldn't have made any sense to do nothing, being the parts and fixtures were able to be done on the paddock. If I can fix the car to make the event, I will. Plus, there wasn't any crying here. This was intended to update everyone on all that went on.

Also, this sponsorship was not a freebee by far. The parts I brought to them personally, including RA's motor in a crate. Labor was charged. I won't go into detail, because that is offtopic and our agreement.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Pete@BC

others posted of your kindness and it seems to be true.you win the nice guy award for sure.out of respect for you i will bow out of your thread.

Not necessarly being nice. I just know when to man up and accept faults or wrong doings. Unlike some others I see. Maybe I can start a trend. lol
Old 05-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Pete@BC

Philthy,

It's already been stated that we didn't do any direct challenge to you. A vendor on EvoM suggested a comparison of 2 similar vehicles. May I note not a vendor that sells our product for your information. You were told to show proof of that link, which you haven't.

Now you directly bash us on another board "I wasn't aware that distributing cheap Taiwan and China parts makes you a 'manufacturer'...

This only shows your ignorance and biasness
Old 05-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Nforce1

^^^

I kinda wonder if you would be saying the same thing if the motor blew...

Congrats on your placing even with the problems Pete. Im sure many good things to come! Keep updates!

Last edited by Nforce1; 05-04-2008 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:55 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by Nforce1
I kinda wonder if you would be saying the same thing if the motor blew...

Congrats on your placing even with the problems Pete. Im sure many good things to come! Keep updates!
IF motor does go he woudl ahve to go back to the builder first....right?
they gotta try to make an attempt to go to the builder 1st
Old 05-04-2008, 11:57 PM
IIQuickSilverII

what does this have to do with the op?sorry for coming back in,but i'm just so sick of fanboys.throwing stones is the desperate act of people with a weak argument.

he was commenting on philthy being biased...i said i agreed for the reasons u quoted
Old 05-05-2008, 12:10 AM
Nforce1

IF motor does go he woudl ahve to go back to the builder first....right?
they gotta try to make an attempt to go to the builder 1st
I agree that they should goto who ever did whatever it is that went wrong. But just saying that if the motor blew, no one would give RA that attempt. People would just say "I told you so! Now go to XXXX"
Old 05-05-2008, 12:15 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by Nforce1
I agree that they should goto who ever did whatever it is that went wrong. But just saying that if the motor blew, no one would give RA that attempt. People would just say "I told you so! Now go to XXXX"

well.... they would probably say that(they still need to contact them first at least to ask for a refund ) but every single person with engine troubles with RA or back in vrt days, just as dechant did, all tryed to contact them first and get it resolved for months before posting something up. Regardless for the op, i do hope he gets his problems sorted out though , cuase he will get more competition in the next events rather a default win

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 05-05-2008 at 12:20 AM.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:40 AM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Philthy,

It's already been stated that we didn't do any direct challenge to you. A vendor on EvoM suggested a comparison of 2 similar vehicles. May I note not a vendor that sells our product for your information. You were told to show proof of that link, which you haven't.

Now you directly bash us on another board "I wasn't aware that distributing cheap Taiwan and China parts makes you a 'manufacturer'...

This only shows your ignorance and biasness
Pete, stop with them name calling! I'm sorry if the fact that you're not a manufacturer, but just a distributor of parts design and manufactured in Taiwan is a sore spot for you - I stand by my words and truly of the opinion that the product is a mid/low tier item – i.e. ‘cheap’.

VRT and RA have been banished from the forums - so expect some negative remarks when you come on here blasting a respected forum vendors name and praising the banished frauds...

I, like the majority on the board find your actions not honorable. Did Sharif make a mistake, maybe, but did you even have the professional courteous to call him? Provide him a chance to fix the problem? No, you just went on a smear Champaign... EVERY SHOP makes mistakes but it's how that shop handles those errors that define them... I've said this a dozen times on this forum over the past several years...

As for me competing in time attacks - this has been in the works for awhile now.

Last edited by Philthy; 05-05-2008 at 05:42 AM.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:51 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by eagletanggreen
I dont know fan hook up is pretty straight forward, but it seems like the fan I got are blowing the relays all the time! Maybe I got some dud fans. Pete seems to have the same problem so maybe it might be that particular bash of fans. Some folks are not experiencing these issues so it might be a isolated incidents. All I know is that my fans are re wired with thicker wire guage and everything works fine for a couple of days and eventually the relays fail. The fans are 20amp on start up and I have big relays and they still eventually fail. Some say that the fan motors are just going bad and are drawing to much and causing the relays to fail, but I dont know. I just carry extra relays with me in my tool bag.
For so many people to have similar problems with the GTM fans, i would say it is a product related issue at first glance.Perhaps the fans have an iternal short of some sort that is causing them to fail..

Or perhaps the Relay supplied is not the proper amperage for the fans. i would use a 40-50 amp relay on EACH fan personally..

However the common denominators in the failures are 2 factors:
1- same fans,relays,same manufacturer ect...
2-Same shop has done all the installs that have failed..

This being the case, it is too soon to say:
A- its a problem with the fans and relays packaged
B-it an issue with the improper wiring of the fans..

Were doing 2 fan installs this week, one being a GTM kit, and the other being a kit we put together ourselves.Both setups will be controlled to turn on and off at certain temperatures by the fcon...Were upgrading each fan to a 50amp relay and fuse, and setting both to come on independantly at different coolant temps..

The fans do not need to run as much as you would think..
Old 05-05-2008, 06:40 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by Philthy
VRT and RA have been banished from the forums - so expect some negative remarks when you come on here blasting a respected forum vendors name and praising the banished frauds...

I, like the majority on the board find your actions not honorable. Did Sharif make a mistake, maybe, but did you even have the professional courteous to call him? Provide him a chance to fix the problem? No, you just went on a smear Champaign... EVERY SHOP makes mistakes but it's how that shop handles those errors that define them... I've said this a dozen times on this forum over the past several years...
Philthy's statement...although harsh...gets right to the point. Even though I am the "Self Appointed King of all Nuthuggers" ....I am a big supporter of GTM,MRC,PF,SGP and of course FP.

I judge a shop by their honesty and their desire to stand behind their work....and of course knowledge.

I would have understood whats going on here if it was said that Sharif refused to atleast look the car over to see if it was his fault....Sharif was not given that chance...But as Philthy has stated...a vendor with a good record was being pulled through the mud without a trial for a Vendor that has already been convicted.

People need to understand that there is a BIG difference between driving a aftermarket FI car on the street at the drag strip and on a road race track. I think Pete found that out the hard way.

On the road race track...you are putting the car through hell... the body of the car is being torque so many different ways....you should expect things to go wrong. I just knew in advance what to look for before taking my car on the track.....I felt Scott should have done a thorough inspection before taking Pete's car on the track. Pete stated that all the problems were able to be fixed at the track....which tells me that an experience driver and mechanic should have been able to find those issues in advance.

I will not explain how I really feel...because Scott is not able to defend himself.

You know that syndrome when someone gets kidnapped....and the kidnapped person starts to side with the kidnapper.

Last edited by XKR; 05-05-2008 at 06:56 AM.

Quick Reply: 1st Time attack with some dissappointments