Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

1st Time attack with some dissappointments

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Pete@BC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Time attack with some dissappointments

Hey everyone,

Sorry for the late reply. I finally had a chance to make it in here. I don't get emails notifying about new post. Real odd, anyways.

The car barely made it to the first Redline Time Attack in St. Louis. We trailered it out on thursday evening to arrive mid day friday with showers
So part of the day if not all was more like drifting lol. It gave Scott some time to play around and get use to our G. This would be the first time he has driven our G. Now a few unexpected suprises came up with the car. While the entire focus has been on the motors integrity, Scott beat the livin crap on it sat and sunday. Saturday our first incident came early morning with one of the clamps coming loose and blowing off near the mass flow, causing the car to die out on the track. I forgot to have a toe strap attached and man did I fret when I saw the tow truck come out to lift the car off the track. I said to myself, there goes the greddy bumper. (look how low it is)

By the way, thanks Scott for the quick thinking on that. He popped the hood, saw it and tightened it up quick and quickly darted out.

2nd incident we came across is the Air intake to the Greddy kit (power steering side) was pushing down on the power steering reservior line and it finally got hot enough in the engine bay to weaken the hose and cause it to kink up, starve the power steering pump. So we managed to set it off it's bracket and wrap it up enough to get the line to stop kinking up and starving the pump.

3rd incident, same day The inline fuses for Forged Performance custom fan shroud and fans, melted again. ( I had this happen previously when I was sitting in my car and eating lunch)

4th incident on the session day. The braided oil return (passenger side) was routed wrong. No slack caused the braided line to consistently rub on the frame rail and the alternator wire loom. Now I have to thank God all these other things went wrong, or I could be in a much worse situation now. Being we had the overheating issue and power steering issue. We consistantly popped the hood when the car made it's way to the paddock. As it made its way in, Scott pulls the hood release and Mike pops the hood. I hear Pete come here now. Wtf is this glowing? When I look in, I have flames coming out the underside of the car. We pushed it out the paddock, get the flames out and nothing but oil leakin out the bottom end. I gotta say, racing is dam frustrating when you have days like this. So when I get under the car and finally get all the undertray out. Performance Factory's crew AJ and BG were there to help confirm the issues. (Thanks Guys ) The braided oil return (passenger side) was routed with no slack, causing the braided line to consistently rub on the frame rail and the alternator wire loom. It made its way through the protective coating of the wire loom, causing the fire. Like I said, if it wasn't for the other problems, we probably wouldn't have opened the hood and it would have been worse as we would have caught it much later, with more extensive damage if not altogether completely totaled.

So we get that completely taken care of, the car goes out for a few laps and all looks well. Scott informs me the cars feeling great, best practice lap session a 1:05. Looks like we made it to the session after all. Or maybe not. As we check for any leaks the finale comes. Front wheels got brake fluid on them. We weren't sure where it was coming from, but the brake fluid reservior hadn't dropped much, so we cleaned it up and he went out on his first timed session. Comes back with 1:10 best lap time with the brakes fading. Sure enough the pads and rotors are now filmed with fluid and the fade is getting worse. Scott missed the unlimited session that go around.

We ended the day with 2nd place RWD Modified, 1st place RWD Unlimited
Not bad after all the problems we encountered. The car still has a few things really needed that Scott pointed out. Definately the stock diff has to go and we are needing some downforce in the back by adding the wing. Possibly a splitter and canards.

At the moment I haven't had a chance to weigh the car, but it would not suprise me that it weighs the same. Full interior was kept except the rear seats. All the trunk carpet, liners and so on stripped. Seats were changed to Sparco Evo 2 seats and a 6 point cage was welded in. I have a few pics I will be including later on. (braided line and event pics with video) Hopefully by the weekend.

Next event will be Tennessee in 5 weeks. With the necessary enhancements, I hope we have a even better event.

So conclusion to this chapter of the G. Relentless Autosports motor proved itself on the course (atleast for the moment as some will probably say) for a weekend of beatings. Thanks Performance Factory for help with the tune Thanks to Noah at GtSpec for makin this whole thing come through. As for the install, we had alot of failures. As a owner it sucks to take the fault for errors of your employees. At the same time, it's our responsobility as the owner or manager to ensure final inspection, quality control whatever those employees are responsible for. While this whole time I've been concentrating on whats going to happen to this motor, it never crossed my mind what could the outcome of installation error could be. While the whole time finger pointing and assumptions have been made to RA for their build techniques (odd as they may be to most), probably that concentrated effort should have been put into lookin over this vehicle. My purpose with this post is not to bash on anyones shop. But to make aware, there are many reputable shops. Different ways of doing things. While all this time put into building drama on the boards about Relentless Autosports build techniques, this G, your G, your Z could be overlooked also. We decided to utilize a RA motor due to all the tracking they do on the West Coast. Unfortunately I was put in this position by the installer and Z community to keep everyone updated on this vehicle. With no bias involved. All parties came highly recommended by members here on the boards as well. Relentless Autosport stood behind their motor build and accepted the terms that we would keep everyone informed whatever the consequences be. That we are doing, and will continue for the remaing of the season.

Ps. What the real shame of the situation is, RA recommended 3 shops on the east coast to do the installation. Just so I didn't have to ship this car to Cali. Guess what, yes Forged was on that list

Last edited by Pete@BC; 05-04-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:23 AM
350zna

shame all that stuff happened in one day, probably went thru a bottle of Advil just for the headaches! Hey things could have gone worse as you said! By the way, the car looks sick.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:54 AM
InjectedPerf
Sponsor
Injected Performance

Pete, good luck in the future. After seeing pictures of your car on the dyno and now these, your car is gorgeous. Very good job!!!
Old 05-02-2008, 06:14 AM
Mad A

Congrats on the 1st and 2nd place finishes. With some focus on the issues you encountered, I'm sure you guys will be back in tip top shape next time!
Old 05-02-2008, 06:21 AM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

That truely sucks that you had all of those mishaps. But it looks like there was some fun in the situation and everything is still ok.

-Don
Old 05-02-2008, 06:41 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey pete, i was hoping you would post up your results. car looks awesome and is very fast! i am sure we will see some more good Time Attacks in your near future...
Old 05-02-2008, 07:13 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

maybe i missed it in the long *** post.. but who exactly are you pointing the finger at?
Old 05-02-2008, 07:19 AM
Mad A

Originally Posted by Pete@BC
... My purpose with this post is not to bash on anyones shop...
I think it's less about finger pointing than reporting that the motor held up fine, and so much focus was wasted on that issue..
Old 05-02-2008, 08:41 AM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by doug
the finger pointing has already been done.. i know who he is talking about.. and where he is going with it..

i just want him to say so.. so we can get some clarification

what good is me telling you my dentist fcked up my teeth and he is sitting at the table with us.. he knows who i am talking about.. you know who i am talking aobut.. but no one is calling names..

i'm sure 'the installer' has a valid explanation for things.. this is the first time i have seen anything like this from that shop.. so lets get the ball rolling and the explanations explained
+1

Of course he's pointing the finger.....he says this more than halfway through:
My purpose with this post is not to bash on anyones shop.
But his whole post is pointing the finger.....IMO this is the perfect example of waaaay to many irons in the fire....until one shop is doing 100% of the work...I imagine most of the shops that have a hand in this build will point the finger at the other.

If nothing else....it's the perfect way for a banned member to get a jab in at someone.

Hope to see more of this car in the future.....
Old 05-02-2008, 08:51 AM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear you had good Time Attack, especially given all of the problems you encountered. GL with the rest of the season
Old 05-02-2008, 09:21 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

congrats on the event and good luck to the OP, +1000 to stans post ... I hope things get ironed out on the next event.

I do find it surprising/funny that at a time attack event with so many top mechanics around, only one genious was smart enough to pop up the hood.
The rest...well.. id like to hear more aobut it but sounds like some things got overlooked.

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 05-02-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also a little perspective as well - does anyone want to guess how much WHP the MIATA or LOTUS that BEAT this car makes or how about the S2000 that tied them...? Any takers...?

Unlimited RWD
1 C-West Honda S2000.........................30
1 BC Racing Infiniti G35........................30
2 Hoosier Tire Ford Mustang..................25
3 M-Workz Nissan 350Z........................20

Unlimited AWD
1 GST Subaru Impreza.........................30
1 Top Speed Subaru Impreza................30
2 Harmon Motive Subaru STI.................25

Unlimited FWD
1 Kaaz / Nitto Tire Honda Civic...............30
1 #9 Daytona.......................................30

Modified RWD
1 Robispec Mazda Miata.........................60
2 Nitto Tire Lotus Super 7.......................25
2 BC Racing Infiniti G35.........................25
3 Paul Michelan's Ford Mustang...............20
3 #60 Chevrolet Corvette......................20

Modified AWD
1 MFQ Motorsports Mitsubishi Evolution VIII........60
2 Harmon Motive Subaru STI.............................25
2 P&L Motorsports Subaru STI...........................25
3 AMS Performance Mitsubishi Evolution IX.........20
3 #10 Robispec Mitsubishi Evolution VIII............20

Modified FWD
1 Sports Car Motion Honda Civic........................30
1 Garage Academy Acura RSX...........................30
2 Skunk2 Racing Acura RSX Type-S...................25
2 #91 Ford Focus............................................. .25
3 Garage Inc. Honda Civic.................................20
3 Tri-State Motorsports Honda Civic Si................20

Street RWD
1 Track HQ Lotus Elise.......................................30
1 David Proudfoot#4 Honda S2000............................................3 0
2 Evasive Motorsports Honda S2000 #1..............25
2 GT Motoring Honda S2000..............................25
3 Evasive Motorsports Honda S2000 #2..............20
3 #23 Honda S2000..........................................20

Street AWD
1 Robispec Subaru STI.......................................44
2 Robispec Mitsubishi Evolution X........................36
3 Harmon Motive Subaru STI..............................30
3 Nukabe Auto/Race Comp.................................30

Street FWD
1 COBB Tuning Mazdaspeed3.............................30
1 GT Motoring Acura RSX...................................30
2 Initial Impression Dodge Neon SRT-4...............25
2 Top Speed Honda Civic Hatchback...................25
3 Robert Bawdon's Honda Civic Si.......................20

Drift
1 Nissan S14 240SX...........................................30
2 Stargirl Racing Nissan 350Z.............................25
Old 05-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pete, I am sorry to hear about the troubles at the track. I know what you are implying, and you are way off base.

As you will recall, we dropped EVERYTHING we were doing, in order to get your car ready SEMA, and installed a million of your parts that you supplied in two weeks, including tuning and engine brake in.. You and I were both present for the final inspections, and we tend to go overboard with heat wrapping and clearancing things.

When you decide to convert your car from a show/street car....to a Time Attack car driven by a semi-professional race car driver....it needs to be inspected, checked, rechecked...numerous times. You and Scott should know this. Tracking a car, and all of the offroad excursions that Scott Bush is known for, overheating..etc..etc...take their toll. Things can move around, expand, contract, and all of this needs to be under close supervision.

If you think you can take a street car, and just throw it on the track and expect a good result, you are mistaken.

I really wish I had time to go into great detail with your post, but we are just too busy to take anymore time to pick apart the specifics of your post. The fans, and power steering were worked on AFTER the car left here, just for the record. I am not blaming anyone....when you track a car...things can break...and a very close and constant supervision and inspection of the car is required.

Consider the first outing with the car, as your shake down event...work out the bugs...make needed repairs...and go out and try it again! 2nd place isnt bad.

Maybe if your driver, Scott Bush, wasn't permanently banned from the forums, for lieing, self promoting his shop/home garage under fake screenames, and putting together ficitous build sheets.....he could come on and elaborate some more about the car.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:41 AM
NoahzBurnt

Pics of cage please and I only hope you get back on the track and keep showing people how great your coilovers are...I love mine and afterall that is what you sell right?!?

Last edited by NoahzBurnt; 05-02-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:45 AM
FrickU

Originally Posted by Philthy
Also a little perspective as well - does anyone want to guess how much WHP the MIATA or LOTUS that BEAT this car makes or how about the S2000 that tied them...? Any takers...?

Unlimited RWD
1 C-West Honda S2000.........................30
1 BC Racing Infiniti G35........................30
2 Hoosier Tire Ford Mustang..................25
3 M-Workz Nissan 350Z........................20

Unlimited AWD
1 GST Subaru Impreza.........................30
1 Top Speed Subaru Impreza................30
2 Harmon Motive Subaru STI.................25

Unlimited FWD
1 Kaaz / Nitto Tire Honda Civic...............30
1 #9 Daytona.......................................30

Modified RWD
1 Robispec Mazda Miata.........................60
2 Nitto Tire Lotus Super 7.......................25
2 BC Racing Infiniti G35.........................25
3 Paul Michelan's Ford Mustang...............20
3 #60 Chevrolet Corvette......................20

Modified AWD
1 MFQ Motorsports Mitsubishi Evolution VIII........60
2 Harmon Motive Subaru STI.............................25
2 P&L Motorsports Subaru STI...........................25
3 AMS Performance Mitsubishi Evolution IX.........20
3 #10 Robispec Mitsubishi Evolution VIII............20

Modified FWD
1 Sports Car Motion Honda Civic........................30
1 Garage Academy Acura RSX...........................30
2 Skunk2 Racing Acura RSX Type-S...................25
2 #91 Ford Focus............................................. .25
3 Garage Inc. Honda Civic.................................20
3 Tri-State Motorsports Honda Civic Si................20

Street RWD
1 Track HQ Lotus Elise.......................................30
1 David Proudfoot#4 Honda S2000............................................3 0
2 Evasive Motorsports Honda S2000 #1..............25
2 GT Motoring Honda S2000..............................25
3 Evasive Motorsports Honda S2000 #2..............20
3 #23 Honda S2000..........................................20

Street AWD
1 Robispec Subaru STI.......................................44
2 Robispec Mitsubishi Evolution X........................36
3 Harmon Motive Subaru STI..............................30
3 Nukabe Auto/Race Comp.................................30

Street FWD
1 COBB Tuning Mazdaspeed3.............................30
1 GT Motoring Acura RSX...................................30
2 Initial Impression Dodge Neon SRT-4...............25
2 Top Speed Honda Civic Hatchback...................25
3 Robert Bawdon's Honda Civic Si.......................20

Drift
1 Nissan S14 240SX...........................................30
2 Stargirl Racing Nissan 350Z.............................25

Haha talking from what you don't know. Those cars make a lot more power and are a lot lighter than you think lol. I trailered that car out there.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:48 AM
FrickU

Originally Posted by Philthy
I wasn't at the event, BUT my suspension tuner was

Here's what Robi had to say about this 'great' lap...

FYI... Robi has a little motivation and I just OK'd him to run MY car at a Time Attack!
Your tuner yes. I know him very well. I was actually at his house for about 2 days waiting to leave to St. Louis. He was misinformed in that actually. There is video to prove that he ran a 1:05. And after you watch it and actually think, with all of the problems that they were experiencing they managed to run a 1:10 when Scott had to start pumping the brakes at the Start/Finish line lol. But he did run a 1:05. There is also footage showing when he went off the track as well.

And as that picture shows, I trailered out 3 cars that had supsension tuned by him.

And Robi driving your car. I say yes. He is a great driving and is good at what he does, but he Was wrong about that statement. There is a lot more to that miata than you think. But I guess you wouldn't know that since your only backup is stuff that you are hearing.

Last edited by FrickU; 05-02-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:52 AM
doug

Originally Posted by fallenromeo
So go waste your money at Forged then!

Pete didn't start this thread to point the finger at Sharif for the crappy install, but because of all the hype on his car he was compelled to post the results. Everyone said the car would not make 600+ whp. It did. Then everyone says it won't last a time attack at that boost, it did. Everyone said the motor was crap and wouldn't last...the last thing any of you expected was that a so called god of My350z.com could screw up the install like he did. You guys just keep shoving your heads in the sand because you don't want to admit that someone with an unorthodox style like RA can still get the job done. Continue to not like Scott, no one cares.

You can keep thinking Scott doesn't know what he is doing, but his work that everyone keeps questioning is continuing to speak for itself. As for the "installer" his work is continuing to speak for itself too.
i don't need to go to Sharif... MRC does a great job with my car.. but if i had to.. i would never hesitate ..

no one ever said Scott doesn't know what he is doing... matter of fact.. Scott doesn't know what he is doing.. alot of technical questions he dances around and waits for Mark to answer.. Scott is the mouth piece and driver..

in anylight.. we don't like Scott.. we dont' care what good deeds he has done.. we don't care if he becomes president tommorow and brings gas prices back down at $1.80 for premium.. we just simply don't care
Old 05-02-2008, 10:56 AM
fallenromeo

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by doug
i don't need to go to Sharif... MRC does a great job with my car.. but if i had to.. i would never hesitate ..

no one ever said Scott doesn't know what he is doing... matter of fact.. Scott doesn't know what he is doing.. alot of technical questions he dances around and waits for Mark to answer.. Scott is the mouth piece and driver..

in anylight.. we don't like Scott.. we dont' care what good deeds he has done.. we don't care if he becomes president tommorow and brings gas prices back down at $1.80 for premium.. we just simply don't care
Congrats. You East coast guys don't like Scott, us west Coast guys don't like Julian. Cheers.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:01 AM
NoahzBurnt

doug...no issues with you dude but in all honesty this is pete's thread about his experiences...not your rant about your dislike for people....

i just wish pete the best and hope to see his G on the track some more....afterall he spent A LOT building this car out of his own pocket and i know he wants to enjoy it....
Old 05-02-2008, 11:02 AM
doug

Originally Posted by fallenromeo
Congrats. You East coast guys don't like Scott, us west Coast guys don't like Julian. Cheers.
Congrats. You West coast guys like unethical business men who rip you off, us east Coast guys like honest working shops that do great work. Cheers and two tears in a bucket

Quick Reply: 1st Time attack with some dissappointments