Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Engine Splash Guard Plastic Cover

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 01:43 AM
BlanQshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Splash Guard Plastic Cover

Sorry if I'm posting this thread in the wrong section but,

Basically the front bottom of my car, the splash guard which covers the oil filter area and connects to the front bumper, is scrapped off.

The area in which is scrapped of is where I can't even screw in the front portion of the splash guard, it's all been scrapped so there's no holes nor distance where I can screw it in to have it in place. For right now I'm using zip ties to have it up so it doesn't drag on the road.

My question is, do I really need this? I was honestly thinking of unscrewing the whole part and tossing it away. I don't think it will do any harm. Plus my car isn't sopped low so I don't believe there will be any damage done under there
Old 06-28-2014, 07:32 AM
steven350

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Engine bay will get dirty...
Old 06-28-2014, 08:24 AM
Squag27

Other than that the engine bay will get dirty, removing it won't hurt the car any.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:11 PM
BlanQshot

That's it? Thank you.

Eh. Not too worried, I've been to car machines where they shoot strong water underneath the car so that's one way of looking it. But then again I hand wash my car.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:50 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

The front under-tray is part of the aerodynamics of a Z. Working in conjunction with the shape of the front bumper and the car’s other underpinnings, the under-tray works to accelerate the air moving under the car. As you will remember from your high school physics class, ‘when air increases in velocity (speeds up) it decreases in pressure’. This feature replaces the high-pressure air that normally builds up under a car, with lower pressure air adding a bit of desirable down force at high speed. Also, without the under-tray, the engine bay is filled with high-pressure air making it very difficult for air to flow in through the radiator (the fans will actually have to come on and work very hard to force some air through the radiator and in to the engine bay when driving at high speeds. With the under tray in place air is evacuated from the engine bay creating a pressure differential greatly aiding flow at high speeds.
The following users liked this post:
badchoicez350 (10-07-2020)
Old 06-29-2014, 02:56 AM
myfirstzcar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^That's exactly what it's for, but it also helps keep things clean.^
Old 06-29-2014, 07:32 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Jennifer2 has it right, removing the underbody shield will affect the way the air is pulled through the radiator and colling your VQ. That tray also serves to stiffen the front bumper section and render it more suspectible to damage, so it's not OK to just "throw it away".

Also, if the OP has damaged the mounting holes in the radiator support, that Z must have taken a hell of a lick. I'd suggest a close look at the support itself, as the composite shell is fragile if part of the bottom gets damaged.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:14 AM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
Jennifer2 has it right, removing the underbody shield will affect the way the air is pulled through the radiator and colling your VQ. That tray also serves to stiffen the front bumper section and render it more suspectible to damage, so it's not OK to just "throw it away".

Also, if the OP has damaged the mounting holes in the radiator support, that Z must have taken a hell of a lick. I'd suggest a close look at the support itself, as the composite shell is fragile if part of the bottom gets damaged.
I've got the Zspeed aluminum undershroud now; taking car in tomorrow to shop to get Shine spec A front bumper cover, side skirts and their front lip diffuser.

I understand the need/benefits of under car aerodynamics as a major plus at higher speeds; just wondering exactly what the diffuser does, as it will take the place of the Zspeed piece and fill in the same area under engine. I think the diffuser helps flow air through radiator plus under car? Explainations are appreciated lol!
Old 06-29-2014, 09:44 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlue
I've got the Zspeed aluminum undershroud now; taking car in tomorrow to shop to get Shine spec A front bumper cover, side skirts and their front lip diffuser.

I understand the need/benefits of under car aerodynamics as a major plus at higher speeds; just wondering exactly what the diffuser does, as it will take the place of the Zspeed piece and fill in the same area under engine. I think the diffuser helps flow air through radiator plus under car? Explainations are appreciated lol!
The undertray serves to keep turbulent air that passes under the Z from disrupting the airflow inside the engine bay. By directing the hot air out the rear on the engine bay, Nissan is maximizing the airflow through the radiator. If it hit the turbulent flow underneath, it would have a tendency to stall.

If I understand your question correctly, the lip diffuser cannot re[lace the undertray. It's an aerodynamic device used to create a limited amount of downforce at speed, but won't help reduce turbulent air for under the engine much. My suggestion? Keep your ZSpeed piece if at all possible.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:21 PM
BigBlue

^thanks for the info. This piece is different than some others as it will bolt up clear back to the 2 oem bolt holes by oil pan.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:10 PM
BlanQshot

I'm actually very surprised this had more detailed answer to this thread post... Thank you everyone. Didn't know any of this information. I've heard of a stronger construction of the replacement that I'm looking at which is made out of tougher material (aluminum, metallic) but the helfty price of $200+ compared to the regular $50 stock replacement is in question. Of course the price would probably guarantee the durability in which that material has to offer but it is a great jump in price.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:18 AM
myfirstzcar

No sense in spending the extra cash on a piece you can't admire after you install it.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:19 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by myfirstzcar
No sense in spending the extra cash on a piece you can't admire after you install it.
HUH????
Old 07-01-2014, 05:05 PM
BigBlue

^hopefully I and others can admire the improved aerodynamics and cooling effects of the splitters, diffusers, aluminum undershrouds!
Old 07-02-2014, 01:29 AM
myfirstzcar

Originally Posted by zakmartin
HUH????
Are you retarded?

Did you read the thread?
Old 03-17-2019, 04:37 AM
SNowman04

Red face Underbody splash shield

I know this is an old thread but I tore up the bottom of ours this winter in a snowbank (live in Michigan) and I'm trying to locate a new one. I have the inner fenders and side shrouds. Just need this piece. Anyone recommend a good source for the part other than a dealer?
Old 03-17-2019, 04:48 AM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

The Z-Speed Performance aluminum version is available on eBay. Easy to install and a great addition to the car
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F122016798265
Old 03-17-2019, 07:12 AM
SNowman04

Thumbs up

That is a nice piece! Tnx...
Old 03-25-2021, 02:57 AM
Red1

Nice to see someone with some knowledge. I imagine the aerodynamics and cooling are the main reasons for these under-body parts, not splash and debris guarding. Thanks, Paul C