Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

My 2004 350z Touring is making some really silly noises and having power issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2024, 09:37 PM
komputer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2004 350z Touring is making some really silly noises and having power issues

good day, everynyan,

i've been having some real silly problems lately with my Z. for starters, car was overheating badly in 30C weather, i assume it might be the broken radiator fan, so that's to be determined. unfortunately, i daily drive my Z, and i drive for work... so i've been having to suffer through with driving it when she's running at tad hot (MY FAULT !).

anyways, i don't believe my problem to be related to the constant overheating (but it definitely doesn't help). i had a new cold air intake installed, and i'm a silly guy so i bought it for a g35 instead of a 350z. ! what an idiot... anyways, the fitment was all out of whack and the filter wouldn't hold into the intake tube, so i took it to a shop to get quoted for some custom work yayaya, it's getting done soon, but for now i took the shroud off of the filter so that it can fit properly.

anyways, ever since then sometimes i get misfires, my engine feels a tad bit sluggish and it shakes superrr bad, rpms will move from below 1 up to 2, all at normal temps as well. i noticed that if i pop my hood the problem does go away.

with that information, i assume that the engine is NOT getting enough air. only logical explanation from a guy who has no idea how engines work. unfortunately the parts the shop ordered are about 2 weeks away and that's too long for me to wait without trying to ask if anyone has any other ideas for what it could be.

i also got an oil change done recently, car might be burning oil, maybe they put in the incorrect oil. i got no idea ! ! ! i don't know how cars work i just drive em ! ! !

just wondering if anyone else has faced a similar issue bc it's really annoying having to drive a car that speeds up like an 86 . . .

thanks gang
Old Today, 10:52 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,093 Likes on 774 Posts

I appreciate the self deprecation, but it appears you're in way over your head. For starters, fix the broken fan. If your car overheats, then you're going to have a lot more to worry about.

Second, put the original air intake back on and see if the problem goes away.

Third, if you must have a cold air intake, buy one for a 350Z. That's got to be way cheaper than trying to custom modify an intake for a G35 when there are plenty of readily available CAIs for the Z.