LaJunta Track News

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 06:46 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,302 Likes on 903 Posts
Default LaJunta Track News

At the last LaJunta SCCA race, I talked with the track manager about setting up another 350Z HPDE/track day this fall. He said that the MRA motorcycle accident (with two fatalities at a test day) had made the city-owned facility rethink their liability on renting the track out. Despite signed waivers, I got the impression that someone might be trying to sue the track (and the city) for the accident. He said he would go back to City Council to appeal for us using the track for one more date in 2006 and to call him in October for the answer.

This morning I made the call and the answer is that the track will be closed after the final Porsche Club event this year. The track manager is also being forced out and I was directed to talk to the city engineer for any 2007 dates. They're likely to ask us to obtain our own separate liability insurance policy, but that would be both cost prohibitive and mean we'd have to organize as a formal club. I don't think we have the interest to do that.

So LaJunta was a great gig while it lasted. $35 for the entire day was the lowest track fee at any facility in North America. Between 2003-2006, our Colorado 350Z group had several HPDE/track days, complete with driving and accident avoidence exercises to experience. While the track will definitely remain active for SCCA or NASA competition, in all likelihood that's the only time we'll be able to get to use the track.

Since I hate to leave a post on such a down note, there was some interesting news that involved LaJunta the other day. Due to some rule infractions in the Rocky Mountain Division SCCA racing series, two ITA competitors had their divisional points for the first 2006 races at LaJunta and Sandia Motorsports Park in New Mexico EXCLUDED. That means my point total for the year (one victory, two seconds and three third place finishes) will give my humble 200SX Se-R the overall ITA series Championship for 2006. Talk about backing into a title!
Old 10-01-2006, 08:16 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Wow! That sucks about La Junta. And with PMI on the see-saw it looks like I need to get back into Auto-X.

Anyhow, Congrats on the point change and winning the ITA series.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:02 AM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That's disappointing news about La Junta. Like they say; 'all good things must come to an end'. Our La Junta track days are some of my best Z-group memories...too bad there won't be a chance to make any more of those. Running with a group like NASA is fun, but it's just not the same. And being out there for an SCCA race weekend is a lot of fun, of course, but it's not the same when there are 50 - 70 race cars and haulers than when we just had a half dozen or so Z cars, with wide open track time.

That's too bad that Lynn is being forced out...he's been a good friend to our group.

Guess I'll just have to plan on attending more NASA events next year to get my track time in. They're not a bad group, but only 80 minutes of track time a day with them pales in comparison with what we've seen in our 350Z group outings.

On a brighter note, congrats on the ITA series championship, David! Now aren't you glad you didn't run that car in GT3 and miss getting those ITA points? Do you have any idea on what your competitors' rule infractions were, and why those results took so long to be excluded?
Old 10-01-2006, 02:45 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

We did have some great HPDE/track days at LaJunta, didn't we? I'm not giving up, but I think our future track days will have to be in conjuction with other car marques at an open track day. Besides Robert K (who is chomping at the bit), members like Gary M05, Jgray and Bottom can be counted on to enjoy triple digit speeds at PMI. There will be more laps available for a open track day than most Z drivers will have the tires or brakes to run. Are there any other 350Z pilots out there who might be interested?

As for the ITA title, thanks for the props but like most racers I'd much preferred to have earned it on the track! Since I only won the championship by three measly points, it was fortunate that I was (literally) forced to forgo running GT3 at LaJunta. As far as I know, the infractions were the result of a protest between the two Miata drivers on following the rules of the Rocky Mountain Divisional Championship. Since I wasn't part of the squabble, the ruling was covered by confidentiality and not divulged outside of the parties involved.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:10 AM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This so focking blows, I'm pretty pissed now. After all the sacrifices made to keep my car, I can't even get a decent amount of track time in. I was really looking forward to next year being a year I could actually get back to some motorsports events. No more SCCA time trials though, no more Z forum track days except at maybe CHP and that place sucks in comparison to what used to be available. PPIR rotting into waste down the road, and PMI booked solid because it's the only game in town. Screw this, I'm moving to Utah and I'lll catch you all at Miller Motorsports.
Will
Old 10-02-2006, 12:01 PM
GaryM05

Originally Posted by Resolute
This so focking blows, I'm pretty pissed now. After all the sacrifices made to keep my car, I can't even get a decent amount of track time in. I was really looking forward to next year being a year I could actually get back to some motorsports events. No more SCCA time trials though, no more Z forum track days except at maybe CHP and that place sucks in comparison to what used to be available. PPIR rotting into waste down the road, and PMI booked solid because it's the only game in town. Screw this, I'm moving to Utah and I'lll catch you all at Miller Motorsports.
Will
I hear what you're saying. NASA might be the best game in town for track days next year:

http://www.nasarockymountain.com/

They had several events this year, including weekends at the new tracks in Utah and Nebraska (plus two weekends at Pueblo and one at La Junta). I was only able to make it to 2 of their events this year, but they seem to be a quality organization (just a little short on track time).
Old 10-02-2006, 01:23 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Originally Posted by Resolute
Will
Tell us how you really feel. I know its frustrating. I only got to race La Junta once.
When we catching up Will? Gotcha something from Iraq.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:26 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Will- Wait until you see the rental fees at MMP! Don't turn Mormon on us before we check on a 2007 HPDE or track day at PMI. Are you with us?

Robert K- Gotcha something from Colorado!
Old 10-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Oooh! Oooh! What could it be? A free track day? LOL
Old 10-11-2006, 10:37 AM
funkymonkey1111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

david,

has anyone considered or explored formally starting a club and checking into the insurance aspect of it? club dues could fund the policy, which would essentially be the largest expense of the operation of the club (plus the track dues charged on as-needed basis). i wonder what the cost of that really would be if it turned out this was a way to open the door to the tracks for closed private track days.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:34 PM
shushikiary

what about second creek raceway? though I heard a rumor they where sold for development
Old 10-11-2006, 01:28 PM
GaryM05

Originally Posted by shushikiary
what about second creek raceway? though I heard a rumor they where sold for development
Second Creek closed last year after its usage permit/zoning rights were not renewed due to noise complaints from nearby residents (the same residents who knowingly moved in right next door to the fourth-busiest airport in the country.)
Old 10-11-2006, 06:52 PM
Mudd

Originally Posted by GaryM05
Second Creek closed last year after its usage permit/zoning rights were not renewed due to noise complaints from nearby residents (the same residents who knowingly moved in right next door to the fourth-busiest airport in the country.)

Werd!!
Old 10-12-2006, 06:08 PM
jgray

Just to clarify - Lajunta isn't closing, it's just not going to be available for our HPDE days?

Joel
Old 10-12-2006, 06:33 PM
GaryM05

Originally Posted by jgray
Just to clarify - Lajunta isn't closing, it's just not going to be available for our HPDE days?

Joel
That's correct (as I understand it.) The track is closing for the winter after the PCA event, and when it re-opens in the spring, it will only be available for 'official' group events. Hopefully NASA will have more than one weekend there next year, as that will likely be the only chance to get any time on the track in the Z.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

So no more "personal" track days. :?:
Old 10-12-2006, 07:41 PM
GaryM05

Originally Posted by Robert_K
So no more "personal" track days. :?:
I sure wouldn't count on it. To be honest, it was an extremely unique setup we had there (one that I don't think could have been found anywhere else in the country), and we were lucky to have had it while it lasted, which was about two and a half years. It really was the best deal around!

It's always possible that the city could change their mind about these things, but I doubt it, given what happened with the motorcycle tragedy.

I suspect that any insurance for putting together an event down there for our group would be prohibitively expensive for those of us interested, given the relatively small turnout we've had for these. As a comparison, the NASA event at La Junta this past summer cost somewhere around $130 a person for one day (around $200 for 2 days), with around 40 - 50 cars, and 80 minutes of track time per day. Compare that with $35/person for 5 people, and several hours of track time. Even $130 with NASA is not a bad deal, but it points out what were fortunate enough to have had access to down there.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:42 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

LaJunta will NOT be closing. But in light of the potential (or real, after the bike accident) liability issues, the city will now be administering the track. That means no more HPDE/track days for '06 and I'll be contacting the city engineer for more info about 2007.

They'll probably have a policy written up by then and I agree with GaryM05 about insurance: it's not realistic for us to go that route. We usually only get 4-6 regualr participants and that's not enough to sustain any club. Maybe I can put together a future track day thread and post all the possibilities that are left to us after I get the bazillion Nissan Sport articles submitted and edited...
Old 10-16-2006, 07:55 AM
funkymonkey1111

well, what about somehow forming a local chapter of a larger group? for instance, i've been looking at local chapters of porsche owner's clubs--that way, the club could be sanctioned, and may be able to obtain preferred rates on insurance. or, perhaps this could be done through the ZCCC?

i know i haven't participated in the track days before, but i'm still raring to go on them, and sure would like to help if i can
Old 10-16-2006, 08:21 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by funkymonkey1111
well, what about somehow forming a local chapter of a larger group? for instance, i've been looking at local chapters of porsche owner's clubs--that way, the club could be sanctioned, and may be able to obtain preferred rates on insurance. or, perhaps this could be done through the ZCCC?

i know i haven't participated in the track days before, but i'm still raring to go on them, and sure would like to help if i can
Glad to hear that kind of enthusiasm! Certainly, the larger clubs are an option and both Porsche and BMW clubs have events there. Their entry fees and dues are quite a bit higher than we've experienced. The ZCCC has not tried going to LaJunta because of the distance. Doesn't appear to be many chances left to do LaJunta this year. Let's see if we can work out a lower-cost alternative for the future. I just hope we can attract enough interest.

Quick Reply: LaJunta Track News