Notices
South West Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico

LaJunta Track News

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 06:59 AM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg
Does it have to be GT4? There are so many better, more realistic racing games out these days...

EDIT: Actually, scratch that. I know how religious people get about GT4.
LOL, no worries. I mentioned that one because it's the one that most people are likely to have that actually models physics without going overboard (I'm not sure we have many rFactor/GTR2/GTL/GPL players on the board...)
Old 10-22-2006, 07:07 AM
rjg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I have been a big fan of the GT series, but GT4 just kinda seemed like more of the same and I never got too far into that one.

But yeah, GTR is a great game on PC. I just discovered Forza (checking out some classics on the new 360), and that's apretty impressive game. Pretty much GT + damage modelling, so it's pretty darn realistic without getting too crazy.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:24 AM
jgray

Originally Posted by dkmura
Sounds like SOMEONE needs to start a new thread! I'll come and eat popcorn to watch and learn about virtual racing...
I may just do that! I'm bad about hijacking threads - sorry.

Back on topic... It's really great that some of you are so motivated to start a new club or similar organization. But, Gary and David have many good points to consider. I'm my mind, it's a huge challenge to start up a new club and you can only hope that it's going to be successful. It should also be considered that the motivation behind this is to get better track time at a single facility - La Junta. The effort doesn't appear to match the reward. I would think that you could get farther, faster by lobbying existing clubs to do more track days with more track time.

Joel
Old 10-22-2006, 09:44 AM
rjg

I guess for myself it just seemed like it would probably be smarter/easier to get involved with one or two the existing groups that are out there. After some of the feedback regarding creating a new group, it just seemed like that would be the most realistic approach. I'm not against forming a 'track club' if others want to give it a go (PM me if you are serious), but I think I agree with a few of the other posters - it's probably just as easy to get involved with an existing group.

With that said, which groups here in Colorado are most active doing track days, and would be most receptive to trying to make more track time? I'm new to this whole scene so sorry for the ingnorance on this point. I'd like to join a group or two that is serious about doing track days, so any feedback from you guys that have been involved for a while would be great.

Oh yeah, and if someone creates a new thread on doing gaming/racing on GT or whatever, don't forget to post a link here!

Thanks guys
Old 10-22-2006, 12:59 PM
jgray

Originally Posted by rjg
With that said, which groups here in Colorado are most active doing track days, and would be most receptive to trying to make more track time?
Thanks guys
Start here:

SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) http://www.scca.com/
NASA (National Auto Sport Association) http://www.nasaproracing.com/
ZCCC (Z Car Club of Colorado) http://www.zccc.org/

And keep an eye out for dkmura's HPDE events - he usually host a few of these each season.

Joel
Old 10-22-2006, 01:42 PM
rjg

Thanks Joel, much appreciated!
Old 10-22-2006, 03:28 PM
GaryM05

The best bet for track time locally is NASA's Rocky Mountain Region:

http://www.nasarockymountain.com/

SCCA is much more focused on Auto-X and wheel-to-wheel road racing than they are on open track days for street cars (they used to offer a time trial program, but they cancelled it last year after so many of our tracks closed...the jury is still out on whether they will run that program in 2007.) They're a great organization that I'm proud to be involved with, but they're not really focused on what this thread is looking for.

NASA's '06 schedule is over, but they will likely have about 7 weekends next year (they typically run Saturday and Sunday, so that gives you 14 track days right there). I highly recommend joining them next year and running some events, as I'll bet you'll find you don't really need to lobby them for more track time, as 14 days is more than most people can attend! Although I will re-iterate something I've mentioned before: their popularity and large number of focused track sessions per day (4 HPDE groups based on experience and at least 1 race group) results in 80 minutes of track time per day, which is just a bit on the low end of what most people who have been to one of dkmura's events prefer.

As for the Forza vs. GT4 question, Forza does seem to have more going on under the hood, but the track modeling (particularly on the fictional tracks) leaves a bit to be desired, in my opinion. Of course I'd show up at a LAN party for either game (or others), so I really don't care what we choose, but I suspect that GT4 would win out in terms of fun factor and diversity of cars/tracks.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:33 PM
GaryM05

One other thing to add: I agree with Joel that dkmura's events are by FAR the best option that we've had, but between La Junta's new policy and a recent rumor that Pueblo will start requiring drivers to hold some sort of licensing to run at an open track event there, it will likely become more of a challenge for David to put these on than it has in the past.

(But I wouldn't put it past someone who owns and runs 2 race cars IN ADDITION to his Track model Z to be able to pull together another track event in the future. Right David?)
Old 10-22-2006, 03:36 PM
jgray

Originally Posted by GaryM05
a recent rumor that Pueblo will start requiring drivers to hold some sort of licensing to run at an open track event there
WHAT?! Do we need to start another thread on THIS?

Joel
Old 10-22-2006, 04:57 PM
GaryM05

Originally Posted by jgray
WHAT?! Do we need to start another thread on THIS?

Joel
Yeah, I was surprised to hear it as well:

http://www.nasarockymountain.com/nas...read.php?t=506
Old 10-22-2006, 07:27 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,302 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryM05
One other thing to add: I agree with Joel that dkmura's events are by FAR the best option that we've had, but between La Junta's new policy and a recent rumor that Pueblo will start requiring drivers to hold some sort of licensing to run at an open track event there, it will likely become more of a challenge for David to put these on than it has in the past.

(But I wouldn't put it past someone who owns and runs 2 race cars IN ADDITION to his Track model Z to be able to pull together another track event in the future. Right David?)
Thanks for the props, but as you say, those new restrictions on track days will make it increasingly difficult to get Z car newbies involved. I'll check with PMI about this new licensing requirement and hope presenting a structured HPDE/track day program will help convince PMI management.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:19 AM
mattsfeir

I'd be interested in 2-3 track weekends, but would prob end up attending 1 or 2.
Having done both David's HPDE and a NASA event (1st PMI event), both are great, but quite different. I'd rather do David's for the additional track time and lower cost, but the NASA events are a great 2nd option.

Gary, hope to see you at some NASA events in 07.

Matt
04 SRT-4
Old 10-24-2006, 04:59 PM
GaryM05

Originally Posted by mattsfeir

Gary, hope to see you at some NASA events in 07.

Matt
04 SRT-4
You'll definitely see me at some of their events in 07. I ran at two of theirs this year, and I'll make as many as I can next year (I might even be racing, if I convince myself to buy a Spec Miata).