Notices
South West Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico

2006 "the Run": PMI HPDE/track day

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 12:02 PM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zz-notop
The costs at PMI keep going up. I wonder if any improvements are in the plans or are they just making more money. It would certainly be nice if these increased costs were accompanied by at least some promise of much needed improvements. David, have you heard of any changes along those lines?
There have been improvements made at PMI…new curbing in several key corners, and vastly improved corner-worker bunkers, for starters. Additionally, there was some more protection placed on the leading edge of 'the wall' outside of turn 10 to help minimize the effects of any impact there, along with a grading/build-up of dirt outside of some of the more notorious off-track drop-offs. Most of these improvements were done in response to SCCA pulling their sanction of that track at the beginning of 2006, and were undertaken by PMI as a cost of doing business.

I can understand the frustration at rising costs, but I think that this is more due to rising insurance requirements than to the track's desire to make more money. I believe the $200 is for the one-time (or possibly annual) certification class, but that additional open track time for those with proof of certification is at the same cost as it's always been.

(And for those interested, it's likely that some level of NASA HPDE training will be recognized by PMI as allowable open-track credentials.)
Old 12-06-2006, 12:32 PM
zz-notop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's nice to know that these things are being done. When will there be more info on the class time requirements or is there a place to get that info now? Things like the effective term for training and alternate training are good examples of things I'd like to know. Gary, do you know if the class requirement will apply to all those driving during various club track days or just individuals renting on their own?
AS far as rising costs go, I think we all need to get used to it. They are just going to keep rising even as new tracks come on line.
I think I'm going to have to read up on the benefits of the NASA program as well.

See you all on the 13th
Old 12-06-2006, 01:17 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by zz-notop
It's nice to know that these things are being done. When will there be more info on the class time requirements or is there a place to get that info now? Things like the effective term for training and alternate training are good examples of things I'd like to know. Gary, do you know if the class requirement will apply to all those driving during various club track days or just individuals renting on their own?
AS far as rising costs go, I think we all need to get used to it. They are just going to keep rising even as new tracks come on line.
I think I'm going to have to read up on the benefits of the NASA program as well.

See you all on the 13th
Gary did a fine job of listing most of the improvements made at PMI. I'd add that additional runoff room and barriers are more apparent on several turns. Not that the safety improvements will stop there. The last SCCA inspection made several items mandatory and PMI has committed to getting them done over a period of the next few years. This spreads the costs out and still keeps PMI rental rates among the most affordable in North America.

As for the new safety requirements, PMI officials are still negotiating with the insurance company to better define these points. When I hear more, I'll try to post it. But for now, the new regs will apply to individuals or small groups without their own liability coverage; clubs like BMWCCA, Porsche Club, SCCA and NASA will provide their own insurance.

One last point, I've received word that I'll be included on the list of approved instructors at PMI for 2007. What that means and what kind of curriculum will be mandatory are still up in the air. Like I said, I'll post more, when I know about it!
Old 12-06-2006, 01:44 PM
rjg

So does the recent HPDE some of us took qualify for this or does it have to be a specific class like PMI is offering?
Old 12-06-2006, 01:51 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by rjg
So does the recent HPDE some of us took qualify for this or does it have to be a specific class like PMI is offering?
That is one of the many questions that are unanswered at this point. Once again, as soon as I know, I'll post here or on a separate thread.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:56 AM
mattsfeir

Originally Posted by dkmura
One last point, I've received word that I'll be included on the list of approved instructors at PMI for 2007.
Congrats on that Dave. I understand having to wait and see what happens, but at least this is a step in the right direction.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:49 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Thanks Matt, let's hope the situation at PMI progresses. To put the track fees into perspective, here's a quote from a thread on performance driving schools on another board:

"Good questions guys. In my haste I forgot to discuss pricing or how to find out more about the school. The cost for the one day M School is $950. It was a birthday present from my wife. Not cheap but it includes everything for a great day of performance driving in $50,000 to $80,000 cars. I also said that we drove Z3 M Coupes when they are actually Z4 M Coupes. See www.bmwdrivingschool.com for more info.

Advanced M School is significantly more expensive at $3,950, but those courses are only taught at race tracks. The Advance M school lasts 2 and one-half days and includes lodging . VIR is the closest track to me. I live about 2 hours from VIR.

I liked the little Z4 M Coupes. They are six speeds, small and nimble and have 330 hp. BMW wouldn't let us run them with the stability control off except on the skid pad. On the track I only had the stability control kick in once where I could feel it. I was coming off the last corner exit onto the long straight going a little too fast and not quite in the proper line when I got on the power hard and the back in started to slide out and the stability control cut some power and it straightened right up. Otherwise I didn't notice the Z4 M as having a tendency to break the rear end loose except on the wet skid pad with the stability control off. Then power oversteer was fun.

When comparing the Z4 M to the Z the Z is bigger and heavier, but the Z has more torque. Since my Z is heavily modded (NA) its hard for me to say how a stock Z would compare to the Z4 M since I can't remember what the stock Z was like, but I think my Z would be equal to the Z4 M on the track. I might even have a slight edge in acceleration. I wish I had my car to compare yesterday. Brakes are a big factor on a short road course like the one we were on. The Z4 M has very good brakes with large cross drilled rotors, comparable with my StopTechs. Every one of the Z4 Ms brakes were making pinging and popping sounds from the heat when we got off the road course."
Old 12-08-2006, 11:00 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Perhaps there should be an advanced 'Z School' for those who've gone through the HPDE. Think we should charge $3,950.00!?
Old 12-08-2006, 12:13 PM
rjg

Sure if it's 3 days at Laguna Seca and you are providing cars.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:32 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by rjg
Sure if it's 3 days at Laguna Seca and you are providing cars.
LOL- even if I could, I doubt we'd get many Colorado Z pilots to pony up (including me)!
Old 12-18-2006, 10:59 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

For those that made it to PMI you might also be interested in Auto-X. There is an event being help at PPCC in the Springs on Jan 14th: https://my350z.com/forum/south-west/237537-co-scca-winter-series-event-3-jan-14th.html
Old 12-18-2006, 11:44 AM
myspivey

For those that didnt see it on the other thread,

My PMI videos.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...EDB6323CD86E48
Old 12-19-2006, 10:20 AM
rjg

Nice. Thanks for sharing these.

I've been traveling all weekend, got back late last night. I wanted to watch this over the weekend but didn't have a good internet connection at my hotel... glad you posted this one here too. cool the way you edited it together on some of them.