Notices
South West Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico

Just returned from the Formula 1 USGP..

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 10:50 AM
jgray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just returned from the Formula 1 USGP..

Hey guys. Glenda and I just returned from the F1 USGP where for the second year we worked the grid and pit lane as Paddock Marshals. I haven't got the energy to start typing about all our encounters, so I'll look forward to sharing the details at the next Z outing. The executive summary goes something like this - it was flippin' hot and we had a great time. Here are a few teaser photos...

Just returned from the Formula 1 USGP..-glendausgp07_01.jpg
Glenda, post race in front of Hamilton's McLaren, followed by Massa's Ferrari and Alonso's Mclaren.
Just returned from the Formula 1 USGP..-joelusgp07_02.jpg
Me, post race and feeling ragged.
Just returned from the Formula 1 USGP..-joelusgp07_04.jpg
Clag close-up (Lewis/McLaren)
Old 06-19-2007, 10:57 AM
myspivey

Wow nice! How did you score a gig like that!!!!! Nice one!
Old 06-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Nice!
Old 06-19-2007, 11:15 AM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great pictures! Joanne and I were looking for you two during the telecast, but couldn't pick you out in any of the shots.

Sounds like it was a great time, and I'm really looking forward to hearing some stories at the next meet.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:37 AM
jgray

Originally Posted by GaryM05
Great pictures! Joanne and I were looking for you two during the telecast, but couldn't pick you out in any of the shots.
Glenda and I found a couple of shots of us on the telecast, but none of them were distinguishable - mostly blue figures with red hats, but we could tell it was us. If SPEED does a re-run with the grid interviews you might see one of us there. I was grid marshaling for P6, Heikki Kovalainen, and Glenda was grid marshal for Scott Speed. Flavio was within two paces of me on the grid, and he did several interviews where I was likely to be in the background. I crossed paths with Peter Windsor a few times too.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:42 AM
jgray

Originally Posted by myspivey
Wow nice! How did you score a gig like that!!!!! Nice one!
It helps to know the right people and to back that up with a moderate level of experience. Actually , we are very fortunate to participate. Last year we were relegated to being observers on the grid, which was no less exciting. This year we were deemed worthy of being full fledged marshals.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:28 PM
myspivey

Just so you know I now hate you... We cant be friends, sorry. Or not, maybe i can be part of the family? Wanna adopt me?
Old 06-19-2007, 12:33 PM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i went one year, its a lot of fun
Old 06-19-2007, 12:36 PM
jgray

Just so you know I now hate you... We cant be friends, sorry. Or not, maybe i can be part of the family? Wanna adopt me?
Ha!

Think of it this way. Working this gig is not entirely based on what you know, but who you know. And you know me, so who knows, ya know? [hint, hint]
Old 06-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's awesome, Joel. I was watching on TV, and wondered if you were back there this year. Most exciting part of the race for me was watching Kimi try and reel in his teammate, and Alonso slip up and never be able to catch Hamilton. Pretty awesome two races for Hamilton, huh? I am constantly waiting for Kimi to come out as a dominant racer, and every race I seem to be disappointed that he isn't as fast I expcted him to be. Sometimes he's brilliant, but most other times it seems he's just keeping up with everyone else.
Will
Old 06-19-2007, 01:37 PM
jgray

I agree about Kimi. I was expecting more from him and Ferrari this year - the McLarens seem to be the dominant force though. You have to wonder if Kimi is kicking himself now, or if McLarens twist of fate has anything to do with the drivers and their level of commitment to the team. I was talking with some of the scrutineers this weekend and they noted that when Hamilton and Alonso would return from a practice session, they would get out of the cockpit and start chatting with the engineers about the session. Kimi, on the other hand, would immediately bolt out of the garage, presumably for a shower and a martini. Kudos to Alonso and Hamilton for building a rapport with the team. It can't hurt, and maybe, just maybe that relationship with the team can make the car go faster.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:43 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol at the marbles on the tire you are a lucky dude! I forgot about the race and missed it this year
Old 06-19-2007, 02:51 PM
gunslinger

Originally Posted by jgray
I agree about Kimi. I was expecting more from him and Ferrari this year - the McLarens seem to be the dominant force though. You have to wonder if Kimi is kicking himself now, or if McLarens twist of fate has anything to do with the drivers and their level of commitment to the team. I was talking with some of the scrutineers this weekend and they noted that when Hamilton and Alonso would return from a practice session, they would get out of the cockpit and start chatting with the engineers about the session. Kimi, on the other hand, would immediately bolt out of the garage, presumably for a shower and a martini. Kudos to Alonso and Hamilton for building a rapport with the team. It can't hurt, and maybe, just maybe that relationship with the team can make the car go faster.
First, I went to the 1st and 3rd USGP, both times were a blast. IMO, Kimi, like Ralf, somehow managed to get some sort of hype about them that's somewhat unfounded (not that they're not fast). Last year I kept saying that if Massa keeps the form he was on he'd outperform Kimi. So far it's been true.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:56 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

A BIG
Ada & I were making plan ealier in the year to go but job here (Kuwait) changed that idea. Maybe Bahrain next year. I haven't seen the race but Ada did record it for me and will mail it to me. I do know Speed did rebroadcast it but don't know when. Glad you & Glenda had a great time and interested in seeing more pics!
Old 06-19-2007, 07:03 PM
THE TECH

Sounds like a good time.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:38 AM
jgray

Originally Posted by Robert_K
interested in seeing more pics!
The down-side to working the race is just that, you're there to work. The FIA has very strict policies regarding workers having cameras - if you get caught with a camera while working, you are subject to being expelled from the track. That said, we took our photos at the end of each day, discretely, without our uniforms in full display. It's questionable whether we were allowed to do that much, but we did it anyway. The remainder of our photos are mostly from our evening dinners and worker parties. In short, I don't have many more photos that you would find interesting.

Joel

Just returned from the Formula 1 USGP..-glendausgp07_04.jpg
Just returned from the Formula 1 USGP..-joelusgp07_01.jpg
Just returned from the Formula 1 USGP..-joelusgp07_05.jpg
Just returned from the Formula 1 USGP..-joelusgp07_06.jpg
Old 06-21-2007, 10:03 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Well I understand! I wouldn't take pictures also. Thanks for the pics you do have. I do miss the Brickyard though!!! I've been to the 500 several times and the to two 400 races; to include the very first NasCar at Indy race. Still haven't made it out for the GP though.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:57 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Great pics!!! I should mention that both Joel and Glenda are SCCA members and having a membership with that organization helps gain training/experience with any number of specialties. I saw one of our local SCCA flaggers (who doubles as a racer) on the F1 broadcast helping Nico Rosberg away from his flaming Williams/Toyota. What a great experience and thanks again for sharing it!
Old 06-22-2007, 07:02 AM
jgray

David,

Are you talking about Captain Bob?
Old 06-22-2007, 07:58 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by jgray
David,

Are you talking about Captain Bob?
Yep- it's part of his 15 minutes of fame!

Quick Reply: Just returned from the Formula 1 USGP..