Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

SoCal Rice Fest

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 12:50 PM
Cannysage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SoCal Rice Fest

I just came back from Superautobacs to get some royal purple and filter. Behold, the triumphant Honda Civic meet was being held. It looked like a freaking junkyard. I was utterly shocked, but decided to walk around to see if there were any diamonds in the rust (rust in a literal sense). Not a single decently modded civic in sight.. not a single 06 civic either. rows after rows of rust bucket civics. There were a few that were normal looking, including a FI'd S2000. I hope nobody saw me driving out of the parking lot.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:07 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Typically the more quality hondas don't show up to those Honda-tech meets.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:36 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cannysage
It looked like a freaking junkyard.
Maybe it was a Pick Ur Part meet....
Old 07-29-2006, 03:09 PM
mrtomcat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will never understand the attraction to Honda's
other than having lots of aftermarket parts...most of them look pretty crappy imho, what is it about honda's that these peoplellove so much that they are willing to tattoo HONDA FOREVER on their backs (not kidding saw a few of those at Irwindale...)?

someone educate me please
Old 07-29-2006, 03:58 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally Posted by mrtomcat
other than having lots of aftermarket parts...most of them look pretty crappy imho, what is it about honda's that these peoplellove so much that they are willing to tattoo HONDA FOREVER on their backs (not kidding saw a few of those at Irwindale...)?

I dunno about the tat thing. I mean cmon someone tatted some Z logo on their back! (It is in the off-topic or 350z section)

However, I definitely give hondas props for what they can do. I think for most it is because it is pretty economical to make one of these cars fast. Pick-up a shell and throw in a B-series motor swap for pennies and you can have one fast car. With the plethora of aftermarket parts available, you can even boost it for pretty cheap!

On the other hand, I think for some it is the idea of having such a small motor crank out power that is pretty damn impressive when boosted. Those honda motors are rev-happy bastards. We also cannot forget the sport compact roots that started with the SOHC hondas in the early 90's that made the sport compact scene what it is today for all import enthusiasts to enjoy

My favorite hondas:

Honda S2k: One of the greatest feeling trannies
Acura NSX: Pure Sex
EG Hatchback: Great clean simple car that would fly with a K20 swap boosted!
EK Coupe: Cleanest coupe they made
Old 07-29-2006, 04:08 PM
hvalleiy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtomcat

I dunno about the tat thing. I mean cmon someone tatted some Z logo on their back! (It is in the off-topic or 350z section)

However, I definitely give hondas props for what they can do. I think for most it is because it is pretty economical to make one of these cars fast. Pick-up a shell and throw in a B-series motor swap for pennies and you can have one fast car. With the plethora of aftermarket parts available, you can even boost it for pretty cheap!

On the other hand, I think for some it is the idea of having such a small motor crank out power that is pretty damn impressive when boosted. Those honda motors are rev-happy bastards. We also cannot forget the sport compact roots that started with the SOHC hondas in the early 90's that made the sport compact scene what it is today for all import enthusiasts to enjoy

My favorite hondas:

EK Coupe: Cleanest coupe they
+1
Old 07-29-2006, 04:11 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

They have potential and all but I never came across a fast one. Even those kiddies who save up their money to do the motorswaps can't even afford to buy a nice set of tires for traction. So their supposed 13 second hatchback with an RSX motor is only capable of doing high 14s.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally Posted by charlie_rdstr_Z
They have potential and all but I never came across a fast one. Even those kiddies who save up their money to do the motorswaps can't even afford to buy a nice set of tires for traction. So their supposed 13 second hatchback with an RSX motor is only capable of doing high 14s.
Of course. A lot of the kids are just trying to be part of the import scene, which i cannot really blame them for with most rocking SOHC motors and beat up EF hatchbacks, etc. It just bothers me when they put on ricey stuff like underbody lights and lame graphics that make no sense.

There are a fair amount of fast hondas out there, but when you compare them to the number that is out on the road it is "rare", but i'm willing to bet that if someone was able to put in a K-series swap (RSX motor) in to a hatchback they would whoop on most of our Z's unless we are boosted because that typically would put them in to the 12's and high 11's low 12's with the right setup. The swap alone is about a 10K swap. Definitely not for the "lil kids" in honda world as far as pricing goes haha
Old 07-29-2006, 04:33 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

I have to agree with Rick there is a right way to mod and a wrong way to mod. Most of the rice crapped Honda I see are driven by Latinos who have no clue of what is cheesy and what is not ( I'm not trying to be racist ). I came across a CRX that was heavily modded with a engine swap needless to say that damn car was fast. I appreciate modded cars with taste but those are a select few of the Honda crowd.....and the only Hondas I like is the S2000 and the NSX lines.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:57 PM
Shiftwell

I started out with a honda accord, just tired of the whole front wheel drive thing. It was a big change from a honda accord to a z. my favorite is the nsx but I just can't afford that.
" I just hate when kids drive hondas driving like a maniac in and out of traffic thinking they're a race car driver. Especially the one that tailgates me trying to start sh*t hoping for a cheap thrill." MAKES ME GO CRAZY!!!
Old 07-31-2006, 02:31 PM
dreamspeed

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickdogg

My favorite hondas:

EK Coupe: Cleanest coupe they made
QFT, I have a EG6 sitting in the garage with a b16 swap that ran a flat 15sec. Personally I loved working on the civic because I didn’t care if a plastic clip broke off while I was pulling up the door sills to run my power cables for my amp. I loved working on it because it was so simple, every thing un bolted with a few screws and bolted right back up secure and tight. It’s much cheaper to mod a civic then a Z and it always felt good making it perform better with each additional mod. I mean I’m quite satisfied that I turned a slow *** 92 hatchback CX with a 1.5l motor that pumped out ~90ish hp into something that is on par if not better then the new 06 SI. People might scoff at the idea of modding a civic because no matter what a civic will still only be a civic but how bout those people out there that drive Ferraris that laugh at us for modding our “crappy” Zs?
Old 07-31-2006, 02:57 PM
Z MANIA
psychedelic one

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, I was there too on Sat. Took a walk around, but a lot were just stock Civics with their hoods open. There were a couple of S2000's that had superchargers that looked pretty cool. 300whp but only 200 ft/lb?
Old 07-31-2006, 03:04 PM
Reyes_USN

wouldnt judge a book by its cover, I saw some rust buckets, primered CRXs where all these guys spent money on their engines, mods, some even on FI and didnt bother with all the ricer crap which would give most cars a run for their money.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:05 PM
Reyes_USN

off topic but the 240 is gonna be the next "honda civic" in terms of people buying it and ricing tha fukk out of it
Old 07-31-2006, 03:08 PM
Reyes_USN

Originally Posted by Ed 718
I have to agree with Rick there is a right way to mod and a wrong way to mod. Most of the rice crapped Honda I see are driven by Latinos who have no clue of what is cheesy and what is not ( I'm not trying to be racist ). I came across a CRX that was heavily modded with a engine swap needless to say that damn car was fast. I appreciate modded cars with taste but those are a select few of the Honda crowd.....and the only Hondas I like is the S2000 and the NSX lines.

yeah, im Latino myself but i'd have to agree in some sense...I see shaved trunk lids and the civic has S2k tail lights and spinners..bad *** lookin body paint...but it wont run for ****. But I have seen some pure ****** rice crap from Asian kids as well
Old 07-31-2006, 03:13 PM
sifuK

i still have my lowered civic and suprisingly it handles better then my z. no body roll. civics have better oil dip stick positioning then the z. civics r kool i must say. i own both a civic and a 350. my civic is beat up tho but i still love it as much as my z
Old 07-31-2006, 03:40 PM
plastiketa

Originally Posted by Rickdogg
My favorite hondas:

+1 Like driving a car on rails! I wonder what the Amuse and Opera S2K drives like?!? Anyone read the article in Sport Compact Car on Opera Performance? They are some hard core folks out there!
Old 07-31-2006, 09:32 PM
ecorona6

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to chime in on this one as I had and will continue to love the Honda line. Honda has always introduced the world with clean design, awesome engineering and all for the blue collar worker. I have owned 4 Honda's including a highly modified Supercharged H22 Prelude. Its all about simplicity with Honda's. It's very easy to go overboard with any Honda. That is why I stuck with color matched moldings, slight drop, and even stock wheels.....take a look! A sleeper I tell you!

Last edited by ecorona6; 07-31-2006 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:56 AM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

So that is what your honda looked like Ed......nice
Old 08-01-2006, 01:55 AM
z_digler

getting the 350 was def a change of scenery from my eg hatch...and personally, after driving the 350, i found it very difficult switching cars (the most obvious being the fwd and rwd diff) and its true, hondas are slow off the line and the 350 will eat it like nothing, but fact is, after driving a honda, i will never underestimate one, especially off a roll...i used to have a hatch with a fully built b18c and have personally walked on a z before...off a roll of course...built right, hondas have a lot of potential but you really cant compare it to our z's....their totally in a different class...all i'm saying is, sometimes it irks me at the fact that some z drives just totally look down on all hondas...and it truly is about preference...i love my honda because i can pull out 220whp and 161tq out of that little engine...and i def agree with reyes about not judging a book by its cover...the z i actually walked on pulled up next to me was some kid that pulled up next to me and said "whats up ricer"...i never knew green with polished lip sprint hart wheels and a vis cf hood, and a greddy sp2 exhaust automatically made my ride "ricer"...i know there's no way my hatch would be able to smoke a boosted 350 and i know that, i just hate it when people who dont know much about cars bash on a civic for the simple fact that it is....a civic..anywho...here's my "ricer" vic, i would put up pics of my 350, but im pretty embarassed that its still pretty stock..haha

....but you know, its still only a civic...haha

Last edited by z_digler; 08-01-2006 at 02:00 AM.

Quick Reply: SoCal Rice Fest