Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Fuel line falls off and run in with Military Police on 4/20

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 01:33 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Fuel line falls off and run in with Military Police on 4/20

Since it was 4/20 my girl wanted to go for a cruise during the night with the Z along PCH since it was so hot the entire day. With JDM 420 stickers all over my car, a bright green cage, and a loud *** exhaust...I wasn't sure if it was a good idea. I cruised around for a good 30 minutes before I went down the 55 South/Newport Ave and eventually hit PCH.

As I was heading West on PCH for a few miles, I started to smell fuel! For those that are familiar with the area it is pretty dark along Seal Beach blvd near the Military base. I was praying that it wasn't coming from the engine bay and was trying to make it to a nearby gas station to check under the hood. Right when that thought crossed my mind, my car completely shut off which confirmed my intuition that my fuel line was leaking or at this point, completely came off.

I barely had a chance to pop the hood before a police vehicle rolled up with the spotlight on me. I immediately closed my hood although it would be kind of pointless since all of my freshly polished engine parts show through the C-west hood vents like a stripper's G-string comes out of her bottoms. I was in for a long night considering how illegal my car is. He asked me for my driver's license and probably made sure that I didn't have any warrants etc.

From what I saw prior to closing the hood, I needed a flathead screwdriver to get the fuel line back on, but I didn't have any tools on me. He asked me if I wanted to pop my hood to check it out. I was hesitant at first and attempted calling AAA and my brother with no luck. After he attempted to build rapport by saying that we shared the same birthday, I popped the hood since I didn't think his intention was to bust me for my modifications. He looked at the flathead and said, "You should just use a penny". Stupid me; that was such a great idea. I pulled out a penny to work on the hose and it worked like a charm.

He then stated that he had a similar problem on his 04' Mustang and wanted to know what car I was driving lol. He started making small talk about how he has a cold air intake on his ride etc. and started asking about what I had done to the car. So I guess, he is a car guy or can appreciate modded ones. As my girl and I got back in to the car, he left the spotlight on for us so we could see and turned it off once we were on our way. After being so paranoid and worried about what was going to happen, I am glad that he was a really cool cop. I wish every cop was like him. Then again, i'm not even sure if MP even care about modded cars or even have the right to do anything.

Last edited by Rickdogg; 04-21-2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:40 AM
groovin_350z
Sleeps in 350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whew. 2 negatives does equal a positive! =p

glad everything went well on ur favorite day of the year. haha
Old 04-21-2009, 03:08 AM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

The MP probably could care les about the mods. Considering so many of us military people spend money on them. If you were off base he may not have had any jurisdiction anyways.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn, I thought this was gonna be a " I need a lawyer because I got caught with a baggie". Glad to hear the cop was cool.

Rick, any idea why your fuel line fell off? Did one of your mods cause this?
Old 04-21-2009, 11:44 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally Posted by groovin_350z
whew. 2 negatives does equal a positive! =p

glad everything went well on ur favorite day of the year. haha
I actually didn't smoke anything because I was too busy running around.

Originally Posted by jumpin800agl
The MP probably could care les about the mods. Considering so many of us military people spend money on them. If you were off base he may not have had any jurisdiction anyways.
Probably, but it was still a scare when bright lights roll up on you. My heart stopped thinking that it was a cop that could be a total *****.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally Posted by waizzz
Damn, I thought this was gonna be a " I need a lawyer because I got caught with a baggie". Glad to hear the cop was cool.

Rick, any idea why your fuel line fell off? Did one of your mods cause this?
Yeah, there is a T-An (not sure on proper name) that was used for a fuel pressure sensor and I guess it just got loose. I just had to re-tighten it, but I will take a closer look this weekend. It's been on for about 3-4 years so I am not too worried since this is the first time that has happened.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:20 PM
EricChan
Banned for NON PAYMENT

Ive had a similar situation with a cop before, it goes to show that they aren't all bad. Just the few who end up busting you. Im surprised he didn't ask about the JDM 420 stickers!
Old 04-21-2009, 04:24 PM
Zincognito

MP's have no jurisdiction outside of military installations (unless you are active duty). Glad to hear nothing happened...
Old 04-21-2009, 05:38 PM
M6SXTZ
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hahaa... cool story.. only thing, MP's have ZERO jurisdiction if not on military soil... but even if you were on grounds mods are NOT a issue... i know this cause my cousin is MP
Old 04-21-2009, 07:24 PM
RRMikey

rickdogg, now you know better. next year... just tell your woman you ain't going nowhere... just stay home and celebrate with a nice bowl... lol. you'll end up chilled out and no stress... and no run in with any cops. hahaa.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Russ@Z1

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice cop
Old 04-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Chromex319

Hey great story man. MP's do have the authority to hold you until local authorities come on scene, should you some thing illegal be in play, but I'm sure dude had no intention of that, because like most of us, he's just a man wearing a suit and doing a job. No ball busting needed, unless he was a douche of which some are.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:27 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Rick told me this story yesterday but he left out the part where he gives the MP a lap dance to get out of getting a ticket. Why you trying to hold back info Rick?
Old 04-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally Posted by Eric@M1Autosport
Ive had a similar situation with a cop before, it goes to show that they aren't all bad. Just the few who end up busting you. Im surprised he didn't ask about the JDM 420 stickers!

Originally Posted by RRMikey
rickdogg, now you know better. next year... just tell your woman you ain't going nowhere... just stay home and celebrate with a nice bowl... lol. you'll end up chilled out and no stress... and no run in with any cops. hahaa.
I know man. Next year = relaxing at home lol.

Originally Posted by Chromex319
Hey great story man. MP's do have the authority to hold you until local authorities come on scene, should you some thing illegal be in play, but I'm sure dude had no intention of that, because like most of us, he's just a man wearing a suit and doing a job. No ball busting needed, unless he was a douche of which some are.
Yeah, he's a cool dude. If I wasn't in a hurry to get home, I was going to invite him to the charity event in May because he was so cool lol.

Originally Posted by dspiel@m1autosport
Rick told me this story yesterday but he left out the part where he gives the MP a lap dance to get out of getting a ticket. Why you trying to hold back info Rick?
Old 04-22-2009, 11:19 AM
m0nkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dspiel@m1autosport
Originally Posted by Rickdogg
Hmmmm... stares at dspiel and Rick... hmmmmm.. something going on here under the internet?

but ya.. good things happen to awesome people!!! I wasn't so lucky with my last ticket.. The guy gave me a driving 80 on a 70freeway + tint and plate.. he then told me to get out of the car which scared the crap out of me... then he took about 30 minutes telling me how much he liked the Evo and things I should do to stay under the cop radars... but still gave me the ticket

oh and he also said he's gonna help me out by changing my fix it (tint + plate) to correctable...wth is that... now I gotta go to SD for court...
Old 04-22-2009, 11:31 AM
michaeljr6

coool cops ftw.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:41 AM
Crom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks....glad you werent in the middle of the freeway when the fuel thing went down.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:44 AM
RRMikey

Originally Posted by m0nkie
Hmmmm... stares at dspiel and Rick... hmmmmm.. something going on here under the internet?

but ya.. good things happen to awesome people!!! I wasn't so lucky with my last ticket.. The guy gave me a driving 80 on a 70freeway + tint and plate.. he then told me to get out of the car which scared the crap out of me... then he took about 30 minutes telling me how much he liked the Evo and things I should do to stay under the cop radars... but still gave me the ticket

oh and he also said he's gonna help me out by changing my fix it (tint + plate) to correctable...wth is that... now I gotta go to SD for court...
this just means you're not as awsome as rickdogg??
Old 04-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally Posted by m0nkie

LOL! No nothing going on here.

Originally Posted by RRMikey
this just means you're not as awsome as rickdogg??
HAHAH! You guys crack me up!
Old 04-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally Posted by Crom
That sucks....glad you werent in the middle of the freeway when the fuel thing went down.
Yeah, that would have been really bad especially with my chick in the car.