Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

New to SoCal, couple of questions, any tips will be appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 07:40 PM
Lefix

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to SoCal, couple of questions, any tips will be appreciated!

Hey guys, just moved here from Hawaii for my new job, picking up my baby tomorrow!!! Just wondering if anyone has any tips for me, and I have a couple of questions.

My Z is a 2003, touring model, but ever since I bought it back in 2010, 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears been having the famous grinding problem if I shift too hard. I never got it fixed because i always figured it would cost alot, but I was wondering if anyone here had this problem or just knows where is a good, reputable, but yet affordable place that I can bring my baby to get this problem fixed.

Second of all, how much would I be looking to spend to get my front bumper painted? It is currently a two-stage custom white. Oh and where?

Thanks a lot guys, I've been reading some threads and it seems like that there are a lot of Z guys down in San Diego, I am, unfortunately, west of LA, are any of you guys around here? I'm down to go cruising sometimes or join the meets if they are not too far lol.

Last edited by Lefix; 06-12-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:14 PM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

LA is wack. Move to San Diego.

Srs tho, I'm sure a bunch of people will chime in.. Welcome back to the REAL states
Old 06-12-2012, 08:27 PM
805350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For any Z related maintenance issues go to Precision Z (http://www.precisionz.com/)

As for paint since your paint is custom a bumper repaint will about around the $550 range for a decent job.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:02 PM
ShadowHunter66

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So exactly what part of town are you? Santa monica, West LA, Culver City.. blah.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:26 AM
PeterFromSDiego

Originally Posted by NoQuestionZ
LA is wack. Move to San Diego.

Srs tho, I'm sure a bunch of people will chime in.. Welcome back to the REAL states
psssshhhhh... Don't listen to this guy. He smokes crack and takes bath salts then posts ridic stuff like this on forums

Im a transplant from Nor Cal to San Diego to now Los Angeles. Socal in particular is one of the biggest hot beds for the car enthusiast scene period. Let alone the Z community.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:34 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lefix
....3rd, 4th, and 5th gears been having the famous grinding problem if I shift too hard. I never got it fixed because i always figured it would cost alot, but I was wondering if anyone here had this problem or just knows where is a good, reputable, but yet affordable place that I can bring my baby to get this problem fixed....
CD009 transmission new will run you anywhere from 1100-1600 not including labor to install. if you're going to have your car for a long time, it's worth it. too bad the previous owner never took it in, since it could have been warrantied..

you can look for a junkyard transmission for about half that. later year Zs from 06 on should have it.

...how much would I be looking to spend to get my front bumper painted? It is currently a two-stage custom white.
typical costs for an entire front bumper is anywhere from 400-700 depending on prep and how many coats.

personally, i've taken my vehicle to AutoExplosion in Gardena for paint, Technosquare for parts installation/fabrication/track prep, and have purchased OEM parts from Performance Nissan in Duarte. but there is a plethora of shops here in Socal that do quality work.there is a link of Shops as a Sticky on the top of this SoCal Sub forum, please click there and read around for a reputable shop near you.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Lefix

Hahaha thanks a lot guys. I just noticed theres a monthly meet in SFV, the next one is on the 24th so I'll try to make that. I'm pretty excited to explore LA.

Chebosto: thanks for your advice, I think I'm okay with a used transmission, how much is labor usually for a transmission swap?

Is it better to just get a CD009? Or is it okay to get mine fixed?

Thanks guys!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:28 AM
35oZephyR

LA > SD for any type of car work. It's just more competitive up there.

but

SD > LA for more chill and friendly folks
Old 06-13-2012, 09:48 AM
ModBargains
Vendor - Former Vendor

weclome to Socal! i am sure you will love the car scenes here because we got some crazy car meets here, such as krispy kream meet, M&M donut meet, and a lot more . Feel free to pm me if you have any questions
Old 06-13-2012, 11:03 AM
PeterFromSDiego

Originally Posted by ModBargains
weclome to Socal! i am sure you will love the car scenes here because we got some crazy car meets here, such as krispy kream meet, M&M donut meet, and a lot more . Feel free to pm me if you have any questions
Notice how the meets are revolved around "food." Imma start a bacon meet.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:08 AM
ModBargains
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by PeterFromSDiego
Notice how the meets are revolved around "food." Imma start a bacon meet.
do it, i will show up bacon ftw!!
Old 06-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lefix
Chebosto: thanks for your advice, I think I'm okay with a used transmission, how much is labor usually for a transmission swap?

Is it better to just get a CD009? Or is it okay to get mine fixed?

transmission labor to swap a transmission would be like 3-5hrs, typical hourly charge would be $75/hr. its like a clutch job.

rebuilt/repair a transmission would be more costly, but you have the option of doing it right and more protection steps like WPC coating the gears, etc.... i think the problem with the 3rd gear grinds were synchro failures..which i think the part cost from nissan makes the new CD009 more appealing. do a search in the Engine subforum. lots of people had the issue...