Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

San Diego GTGs.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 09:33 AM
BrImSt0ne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by JimRHIT
please don't get the injen ses .... very bad sounding imo.

why don't you just FI the car instead ... you will spend about the same amount of $$ (vs. exh, cai, hf cats, plenum) and have a ton more power.... that should take care of the mod craziness
$1000 here, $1000 there is easier to do than $6000 at once.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:41 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by BrImSt0ne
$6000? You can get a used Vortech ATI or Stillen kit for WAY cheaper then that..
Old 01-12-2005, 10:04 AM
Mr Enzo

please don't get the injen ses .... very bad sounding imo.

why don't you just FI the car instead ... you will spend about the same amount of $$ (vs. exh, cai, hf cats, plenum) and have a ton more power.... that should take care of the mod craziness
I don't think it is even close to the same price....exhaust 6-700 used, cai 150-200 used, hf cats 250 used, plenum max 450-500 used....total 1450-1650...

used ati procharger (the only one I would consider) 3200-3500...install about 1000-1500...total 4200-5000...so even if I doubled the other stuff, I would still be well short of the FI figure...but you are right I would have a ton more power...I tried to go the FI route but lost out on the deal and haven't seen one that good since....there is one kit on line here but it's the tuner kit which I don't want and he is asking too much anyway...imo...

thanks for the suggestion though....I think even if I go FI (which I do wanna do)...it probably won't be anytime soon...so getting the other stuff for now is not necessarily a waste...imo...could always sell later...again thanks for the info...it is always appreciated....
Old 01-12-2005, 10:05 AM
protocav

Originally posted by MIAPLAYA
Hey Chad I tried to call SPC and they said they dont sell direct...Who did you order from?

www.iapdirect.com
Old 01-12-2005, 10:09 AM
Mr Enzo

Originally posted by BrImSt0ne

And so is 100 here or 200 there...or heck better yet...just 40 here or 40 there (gas tank) is easier....wait no it's not....I cringe every time I have to go to the gas station... ...which is way to often...

Last edited by Mr Enzo; 01-12-2005 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:35 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by protocav
www.iapdirect.com
Ordered...thanks...
Old 01-12-2005, 12:58 PM
JimRHIT

what is wrong with Vortech ? why do you like the procharger that much ... have you ever heard one in person? you can get that for $3k. You can do install and tune for ~700

yes, still more ... but so much more to have in the end
Old 01-12-2005, 01:31 PM
protocav

but so much more to have in the end

I personally don't like to "have it in the end".

but, suit yourself.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:35 PM
JimRHIT

i dont wear a suit for that sort of adventure ... i like the au natural feel
Old 01-12-2005, 01:38 PM
BrImSt0ne

EEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!
Old 01-12-2005, 01:59 PM
asianautica

TMI
Old 01-12-2005, 02:17 PM
MIAPLAYA

Old 01-12-2005, 03:08 PM
Mr Enzo

So this is what I miss when I leave my desk for a while!!!!

Anyway back to the topic at hand and I'm talking "FORCED INDUCTION" here....pun intended...

Don't like vortech because you have to drill into the oil pan...imho I feel the ATI is more reliable...from the little that I have read...at any rate that is still the same price for a used ATI...and like Chad said "I don't like it in the end" I can be patient...for now....

again thanks for all the input...it is very helpful...I would be pretty lost without you guys...
Old 01-12-2005, 03:22 PM
paredyme

people are starting up that sh*t again....

Anyways, I need to tell you all for those interested in detailing/teflon protecting your car. Ultra Protective Systems is doing a full exterior/interior detail and teflon coating for $250. The owner's name is Jim Sadler and he is a real nice guy. I scratched up my hood bad last night and I took it to his shop and he cleaned and buffed out my hood, making it look as good as new. And he didn't charge me anything for it. I'm thinking of getting my Z teflon protected and for $250, who else can beat that?
Old 01-12-2005, 03:52 PM
JimRHIT

Ok .... argue with me if you want import guys ... but from a domestic FI standpoint ... Vortech is the MOST trusted name in centrifugal SCs. ATI is known for problems. I admit .. there are no SC related issues with the P1SC head unit on the ATI so far ... but you never know. The Vortech V2SQ ... used in the Z kit .. is VERY well prover blower ... used on anywhere from BMWs (Dinan) to Mustangs to old school pickups ...

Also, if you look at the history of Vortech and its reliability, you will see that the ATI is much more sensitive to the perfect tune. The Vortech is cheaper. - no need for J+S and PE Injectors and a reflash.

I am not trying to dog on you here (trying to edumacate ya ) ... but from each's track record ... the Vortech is by far the more reliable and cheaper SC to do correctly.

Jim
Old 01-12-2005, 04:21 PM
MIAPLAYA

Ok .... argue with me if you want import guys ... but from a domestic FI standpoint ... Vortech is the MOST trusted name in centrifugal SCs. ATI is known for problems. I admit .. there are no SC related issues with the P1SC head unit on the ATI so far ... but you never know. The Vortech V2SQ ... used in the Z kit .. is VERY well prover blower ... used on anywhere from BMWs (Dinan) to Mustangs to old school pickups ...

Also, if you look at the history of Vortech and its reliability, you will see that the ATI is much more sensitive to the perfect tune. The Vortech is cheaper. - no need for J+S and PE Injectors and a reflash.

I am not trying to dog on you here (trying to edumacate ya ) ... but from each's track record ... the Vortech is by far the more reliable and cheaper SC to do correctly.

Jim
I can sort of agree. As far as the best packaged SC kit Vortech takes it. As far as drilling your oil pan just by the JWT pan spacer and tap that. Its not hard. Going the unconventional route you could buy the ATI tuner kitfor far less then the full kit, buy injectors and either an emanage or reflash and be at the same price as the Vortech kit but with more power. The ATI kit does make about 10-25 more HP than the Vortech pound for pound. (Mainly due to efficiency I think) Either way the only way to get big numbers from this car for a good price point is Forced Induction. To make lets say 300 WHP N/A You're looking at

CAI: $250
Headers: $300-1000 (depending on brand)
Test Pipes: (make the most power) $175
Cams: $1000
True Dual Exhaust: $750 (on the low end for the Borla)
Plenum: $400
Pulley Set: $350
Flywheel: $400
Some form of tuning reflash, emanage, etc: $450

All of that is not including install and on the low end Total cost so far: $4075

now you need to factor in install costs for stuff you absolutely cannot do yourself.

Cam install: $1000
Flywheel: ~$600

Now cost $5675

And thats if YOU install everything else. If you have to pay to install everything else the numbers just go up...

Now look at F/I... For what you have spent so far you could purchase a Turbonetics Single Turbo kit: $4750 (at Avalon right now) and have it installed 10 hours shop time at $70/hr is $700

So total cost of Turbonetics kit INSTALLED is $5450. Turbonetics said they will sell and install the kit for you at their shop for $5600. YOUR STILL under cost from N/a mods. Of course there will be other things you want but you will ~400 RWHP for the same price as N/a.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:51 PM
SponGer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim

Jim is absolutely right about Vortech. Having helped work on a few Vortech'd small block Chevy's and 5.0's, they are virtually bulletproof. Of course, I decided to take the easy way out and go with a 150 HP NOS kit.

ATI vs Vortech? I guess it's a toss up depending on the trim level of each blower.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:57 PM
SponGer

Oh yeah, anyone here wanna give up going to the Tuesday night GTG's to play b-ball? Need one, possibly two ballerz. $10 a game (ref fees) and $20 for the jersey. Canyonside Gym on Black Mtn Rd between PQ and MM. League starts next Tuesday

Lemme know......
Old 01-12-2005, 09:35 PM
SponGer

Chad, your PM is full
Old 01-12-2005, 09:39 PM
protocav

Originally posted by SponG
Chad, your PM is full

emptied

Quick Reply: San Diego GTGs.....