Notices
Texas Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, etc.

[DFW]: DFW's Lounge

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 09:39 AM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes10
I have an ingalls engine damper here - don't know its completely necessary to have - however i have no complaints about having it.

Oil Coolers -
I have friends that have bought SETRAB and said they were great to talk to and work with direct. http://www.setrab.com/oe-products/oil-coolers/

There are also
http://www.crracing.com/aftermarket-...ts/oil-coolers

I personally think that Earls and Mishimoto are acceptable - alternatives.

On a side note - many parts at Napa or autozone and work just as well - just look for OEM power steering coolers oil coolers etc - most just won't have the A/N fittings -

Thanks Mike, I will check into these.

Originally Posted by AllstarE4
Chris - how do you know you need an oil cooler without having a gauge?

I'm not arguing the point, heck I think it's a good thing to have. I'm just wondering what led you to the conclusion.
Talking with Scott he has a gauge and a cooler I think.

When you start doing the HPDE's you should have an oil cooler and gauge so you can check it regularly as you drive the course....especially in the summer time when it's hot.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:46 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Fith - any word on the motor mounts? engine torque is what i was thinking - if the mounts are "old" i guess the motor would move more both side to side and front to back - do you know if thats a concern?
Solid engine mounts will definitely help but you won't want to daily drive. People complain about polyurethane tranny bushing, so going solid on the engine (the source) isn't a good idea unless it's a track-only car.
Originally Posted by ppat1989
I think he means a bannister...
^ That word, I also did not know, but you're right. A banister is what I used. Chris is right in that BANISTER is a part of a BALUSTER. Sheesh, that's confusing.
Originally Posted by travlee9374
get rid of the rocking engine with this, i added it to my car, and you know what is funny.... this is the first thing i have ever seen that is more expensive for the DE's than the HR's

http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...SAN&model=350Z
Engine damper is what I got to stop breaking test pipes. It's not the same as a solid mount, but it will greatly reduce the flex. After installing that and getting a beefy pair of test pipes, I haven't broken or cracked them since.

Again, I'd strongly recommend it if you race and consider it a must if you drag race.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:40 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Received 9,155 Likes on 6,603 Posts

i need to check my dampner, might need to be adjusted some..... when i first put it on i wasnt too sure about how to adjust.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:23 AM
mikes10

I noticed that nobody has ever spoken about the dipstick for checking the oil level in a Z before - so i'd like to be the first person on the forums to explain to all of you in the lounge how unbelievably accurate and awesome this feature is on my 2003 350z. Also the importance of my oil pressure gauge used in conjunction with that dipstick provides me with the latest in technological wonderment.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:37 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Anybody have cooling mods? Just curious to see what your takes are on them. Also, has anybody ever seen any of their temps go up on a track in TX before in the Z?
Old 10-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Lucky736

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucky736
Ditto on a PDR person. Also, is there someone around here that works out of their garage etc that does basic maintenance for the group or members, ie Oil Changes and such?
Still looking for a maintenance and PDR person, not necessarily in the same body. Lol.

Sent a PM about the maintenance person and never heard back. Just basic stuff for now and going forward.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:08 PM
mikes10

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
Anybody have cooling mods? Just curious to see what your takes are on them. Also, has anybody ever seen any of their temps go up on a track in TX before in the Z?
I only have 1 Track Day under my belt (see picture from earlier) - and I had installed the KOYO before the track day... and i have no underpinning and my thermostat wasn't opening all the way (BECAUSE I DIDN"T CHANGE IT WHEN I PUT IN THE KOYO IAMSODUMB) and i don't have any way to log any ECU temps nor do i have an aftermarket logger to do such logging....

so no ... i don't really have anything to input here - but there is a thickness difference - (THATS WHAT SHE SAID)

thanks!
Old 10-04-2012, 01:45 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

^ LOL.

Yeah, that's a HUGE difference. It'd be interesting to compare your coolant temps to a stock Z after a session on the track. I bet you won't have any issues with yours. I saw my coolant temp go 2/3 up at a Michigan track in May. That was the only time I ever saw that happen, though. Mike, you have so many nice parts -- do want.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:37 PM
AcidJake75
Living in 350Z

I have that radiator in my Z...It works well...installed nismo thermostat as well..

Im pegging redline often @ drift events...hell even regular driving..ha!
Old 10-04-2012, 02:50 PM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

Fithamoto wants a Mishimoto radiator also !
Old 10-04-2012, 03:43 PM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Received 9,155 Likes on 6,603 Posts

mike, when are you going to invest in that z-speed under shroud??

so today my tpms light come on, my left rear was low so i went to discount tire, well i have a 3 inch screw in the shoulder, well they put on a wore down 245/45 without asking me and told me to come back in a couple days. i was not happy and told them that they needed to put the exact same tire back on since i had the certs... the tire was stretched, an off brand, and pretty wore down. needless to say i wasnt happy, so i had them put my tire back on with the screw still in place and i dropped a couple choice words... by the time i walked out of there they are having a courier pick up the tire from Hankook tomorrow and they will have it shortly after that.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:03 PM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

Originally Posted by travlee9374
mike, when are you going to invest in that z-speed under shroud??

so today my tpms light come on, my left rear was low so i went to discount tire, well i have a 3 inch screw in the shoulder, well they put on a wore down 245/45 without asking me and told me to come back in a couple days. i was not happy and told them that they needed to put the exact same tire back on since i had the certs... the tire was stretched, an off brand, and pretty wore down. needless to say i wasnt happy, so i had them put my tire back on with the screw still in place and i dropped a couple choice words... by the time i walked out of there they are having a courier pick up the tire from Hankook tomorrow and they will have it shortly after that.
SHUT THE FRONT DOOR !

What a bunch off ****** ! I'm glad you gave them what they deserved....Idiots, they should know better than to Fug wit us !
Old 10-04-2012, 05:37 PM
mikes10

i dunno about the shroud yet - I'm still up in arms about a few things -

I am waiting on my Mishimoto thermostat to come in, i'm currently running none with a gutted housing - its going to get chilly soon ... will need heat -

On a cool note - my FelloW texas supras pals - just loaned me a fender roller ftw - so i'll be rollin my fenders this weekend - probably on a supra, my z and possibly the wifes wrx lol and the neibors car and anything else i can roll the fenders on lol
Old 10-04-2012, 05:55 PM
mikes10

Originally Posted by AcidJake75
I have that radiator in my Z...It works well...installed nismo thermostat as well..

Im pegging redline often @ drift events...hell even regular driving..ha!
Jake - do you have stock redline?

I want more than stock redline..... isn't there a tweak or a mod or bypass or something like... push the pedal down for 5 seconds pump the pedal fast for 30 minutes turn left turn right select select start to remove the stock redline?
Old 10-04-2012, 05:59 PM
mikes10

Originally Posted by fithamoto
Fithamoto wants a Mishimoto radiator also !
I think they should give you a free one and change their name -

I would recommend not buying anything that you can't use your stock fans on. there are a ton of reasons really but, again i'm no engineer but i like to think that nissan did more research on their fans than say.... any of the aftermarket fan shrouds...lol but thats just my opinion nothing more -
Old 10-04-2012, 07:02 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

^ Why do you say that? Anything you noticed on the aftermarket fans vs OEM? I would've thought a fan would be a fan would be a fan.

edit-
I'm sure this has been brought up before, but what brake pads are you guys running for those doing double duty (daily + track)? I just ordered my 3rd set of HP Plus, but I kind of want to try something new... Maybe with more bite and, hopefully, cheaper. I'm not sure how the EBC Blues compare.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:13 PM
AcidJake75
Living in 350Z

Jake - do you have stock redline?

I want more than stock redline..... isn't there a tweak or a mod or bypass or something like... push the pedal down for 5 seconds pump the pedal fast for 30 minutes turn left turn right select select start to remove the stock redline?
no sir - I have UPREV and they up'd it a LITTLE

contra FTW!
Old 10-05-2012, 02:42 AM
AllstarE4
Sleeps in 350Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but what brake pads are you guys running for those doing double duty (daily + track)? I just ordered my 3rd set of HP Plus, but I kind of want to try something new... Maybe with more bite and, hopefully, cheaper. I'm not sure how the EBC Blues compare.
I haven't done a track day yet, but hope to find out soon. I'm running Stoptech street performance pads and they've seemed to be great for autoX. If I do the TT or DE in the next couple weeks I'll really find out how they do on the track.

I know that Chris and Scott both run EBC and seem to be happy with them. I feel like Mike now... I really have no credible input here... go Contra!
Old 10-05-2012, 05:13 AM
mikes10

^ Why do you say that? Anything you noticed on the aftermarket fans vs OEM? I would've thought a fan would be a fan would be a fan.
edit-
Fans -
I feel Nissan designed the fans and their housings and their motors to move air most efficiently when applied to the fan motors they chose for longevity in combination with the housings design they chose to allow the most flow through them unrestricted...... again that is simply my feelings with that; i have no evidence or backing - but i bet Nissan engineers would echo that lol - I was worried that they wouldn't be able to move the air with the new Koyo in the heat of the summer with my a/c on at the stoplight - but pfft that was no big deal. they did good.

In reality you can remove your fans because on the racetrack fans aren't needed - they are a restriction to air entering the engine bay, which is lame - just bring a carpet fan with you to race day and plug it in at your paddock and blow it onto your radiator and leave the car idle for a few minutes before you turn it off, kinda like a turbo timer.

so if aftermarket fans can be easily pulled out - and you only put them in for daily driving - then maybe they are ok - but i don't have that discipline - so i like the stockers.

Pads -
I probably won't be switching from the Hawk Pro Plus that i use for track days - but i swap out between centric super low dust quiet pads, then back to the hawk pro plus pads for track duty. I think they will last me a while but i try not to brake much - the RE11's help me with not having to brake much. and my slow driving helps out with that as well.... :P

@ Jake - i'm all over redline during normal driving too lol
Old 10-05-2012, 05:15 AM
mikes10

It is wednesday!

Quick Reply: [DFW]: DFW's Lounge