Notices
Texas Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, etc.

[DFW]: DFW's Lounge

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 07:33 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I don't know, replacing an engine isn't exactly cheap. Plus, who knows what that replacement engine will have been through? The Z does have a lot of issues from leaking valve covers to blown head gasket (still haven't verified but most likely) to insane amounts of corrosion. I also don't want to have to deal with problems that I'm experiencing now with the new engine, which I feel is inevitable (ex. leaking valve covers, various dying sensors). The rest of the car's only going to get worse, too (ex. bushings). Another thing is that I'm tired of the weaksauce DE engine.

I feel like I've taken pretty damn good care of it maintenance-wise, but look at what it's doing. I'm honestly really tired of fixing **** on my car, which is all I ever do now and I only drive it 2-3 times a month at most. I just want to just enjoy it like I used to. It's hard not to take these as signs from the car wanting to retire, or as signs telling me to give something else a try. It's been 8+ years and 130K miles since the purchase.

I've always wanted to give AWD a try and I hope to rally/rally-X one of these days. I also want a car that's easier to make more power with.

I might be over-reacting to my current situation but I'm just thinking out loud.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:48 PM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Holy essay
Old 09-09-2013, 07:49 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

^ lol

TL;DR - Tired of fixing ****, and spending money on fixes. Want a less problematic, faster, preferably AWD car.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:49 PM
SmokersMagee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No shame in wanting to move on to something else man. You can always go back to another Z if you get an itch later.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:39 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Yeah, I know several people just locally that's had multiple 350Zs. I thought I was going to keep mine forever, but we'll see.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:14 AM
JaE35z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
I don't know, replacing an engine isn't exactly cheap. Plus, who knows what that replacement engine will have been through? The Z does have a lot of issues from leaking valve covers to blown head gasket (still haven't verified but most likely) to insane amounts of corrosion. I also don't want to have to deal with problems that I'm experiencing now with the new engine, which I feel is inevitable (ex. leaking valve covers, various dying sensors). The rest of the car's only going to get worse, too (ex. bushings). Another thing is that I'm tired of the weaksauce DE engine.

I feel like I've taken pretty damn good care of it maintenance-wise, but look at what it's doing. I'm honestly really tired of fixing **** on my car, which is all I ever do now and I only drive it 2-3 times a month at most. I just want to just enjoy it like I used to. It's hard not to take these as signs from the car wanting to retire, or as signs telling me to give something else a try. It's been 8+ years and 130K miles since the purchase.

I've always wanted to give AWD a try and I hope to rally/rally-X one of these days. I also want a car that's easier to make more power with.

I might be over-reacting to my current situation but I'm just thinking out loud.
totally understand your pov here..such a frustrating situation, definitely take some time to think it over. I'm expecting my engine to be at the end of the road by years end (over 200k miles). I however have just decided i'd rather pull out a small loan and buy a built engine from IPP than spend double or triple that on a new car payment over the next few years. Good luck
Old 09-10-2013, 07:22 AM
StuLax18
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,339 Likes on 2,379 Posts

How much you thinking about selling for?
Old 09-10-2013, 08:48 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Yeah, I'm not really fond of starting another car payment or starting all over on a new car.

I honestly have no idea how much car is worth. KBB says around $5-6K stock but other people seem to be listing their cars at a much higher price (maybe theirs is in that much better condition?).
Old 09-10-2013, 09:31 AM
David_2613

Hey man,

Save up for a good engine, I'll help you put it in.

I'm just a weekend mechanic but here's my resume (everything was successful)
All of this on different cars:

2 Skyline RB swaps
1 OEM engine swap
2 Head gaskets
2 Timing Chains
2 Clutch installs
Converted from Auto to Manual in Nissan Hardbody

Plus tons of small engine repair.

It's the busy season right now, so we would have to pick a week I'm in town. Look at this as an opportunity to upgrade that whimpy DE and first Gen Tranny. Let's get a RevUp or HR, drop some cams in there and you'll be out less money than the downpayment on a new car. I've got some JWT S2 cams I'd sell you for cheap.

Let's talk buddy.

If you do part out, I'll want your exhaust and sway bars. Do you have a LSD?

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
Some possible things I can sell off my car:
-KW V2 coilovers
-OEM Brembos
-Modified front Kinetix camber arms with brand new, revised pressed rod end joints
-SPL rear camber arms that are practically new
-Plenum spacer
-MRev2
-Nitrous kit w/ accessories
-AFR gauge
-Popcharger
-APS 2.5" True Dual exhaust with x-pipe welded in, with and without resonators
-Test pipes
-Poly trans bushing
-Hotchkis F/R sway bars
-Forged SS shift ****
-ARP wheel studs
-wheels/tires

The rest of the mods on my Z are either not worth taking off or involve too much work, unless someone really wants them.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:34 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Received 9,155 Likes on 6,603 Posts

i say rebuild.... survey says...........
Old 09-10-2013, 09:57 AM
JaE35z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say go with David_2613 lol, how much would you charge to install some heads on an engine that's already pulled David?
Old 09-10-2013, 10:04 AM
David_2613

Originally Posted by JaE35z
I say go with David_2613 lol, how much would you charge to install some heads on an engine that's already pulled David?
I assume it's sitting on an engine stand at your place?

I'm living in an apartment until december, then I'll be renting a house with a garage.

Half of a six pack and large pizza. I'm looking to make friends not money at this point.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:10 AM
AcidJake75
Living in 350Z

HR wouldn't work...His only option is Revup and we all know those have oil consumption.

Chris - GL on whatever it is you decide. If Travis gets your brembos, ya'll are more than welcome to do the swap at my house.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:47 AM
David_2613

Originally Posted by AcidJake75
HR wouldn't work...His only option is Revup and we all know those have oil consumption.

Chris - GL on whatever it is you decide. If Travis gets your brembos, ya'll are more than welcome to do the swap at my house.
Granted, I have done zero technical research but the wiring can't be harder than the RB26DETT swap. (GTR FSM was so fuzzy, I couldn't read connector #'s)

If these guys can do it, why not us?

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...uges-work.html
Old 09-10-2013, 10:54 AM
StuLax18
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,339 Likes on 2,379 Posts

I know a guy putting an HR in his FX in his garage. Oh TT also. He's been working on it for awhile though haha, well not working really.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:09 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Originally Posted by David_2613
It's the busy season right now, so we would have to pick a week I'm in town. Look at this as an opportunity to upgrade that whimpy DE and first Gen Tranny. Let's get a RevUp or HR, drop some cams in there and you'll be out less money than the downpayment on a new car. I've got some JWT S2 cams I'd sell you for cheap.

Let's talk buddy.

If you do part out, I'll want your exhaust and sway bars. Do you have a LSD?
^ Yep, if I part out, you're first in line for the exhaust and sways per our previous conversation. And no, I just have the OEM VLSD, unfortunately.

I wouldn't mind putting a HR in, but a quick search on the forums says that it's quite a lot of work. It's definitely possible to physically swap a HR into a DE, but requires too many things to be switched over (additional or aftermarket ECU, harnesses, transmission, radiator support, hood, new brackets, etc). Basically, I'd need to find a donor HR Z that's been rear-ended so I can take the entire front end. Then there's the problem of getting everything to work as intended with the different CAN bus, ECU, BCM, wiring, and who knows what else. I just don't know if the potential headaches and especially the cost will be worth it for me personally. And again, I'd like to stress that I have zero experience doing anything of this scale (lol, not to mention I'm afraid of doing a head gasket replacement for fear of screwing something else up).

As for the RevUp, too many of those have oil consumption issues and I'm not willing to risk it.

While I'm not too fond of the DE, it would be the easiest and most cost effective, relatively speaking. I would like to upgrade a few parts, though, if that's the route I end up choosing. I would have to do some research on what should get upgraded before the new block goes in, though. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

I would love to try tackling on an engine swap but because I don't have the experience, skills, or the know-how attempt it myself, I'm a bit wary of what seems like a daunting task. I can attempt at the mechanical side of things but wouldn't know jack **** when it comes to the electrical stuff. I know you're much more experienced and saavy so if you're willing to help out, the engine swap might be the option to go with.

If these guys can do it, why not us?

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...uges-work.html
That thread is about the only thread that gives me hope about a possible HR swap. YT comments say the whole swap cost ~$7500.

Most of the other threads, granted all of them are much older, says to just get a Z with HR already in it.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:36 PM
David_2613

I think the biggest thing is that what you call a "headache" I see as FUN! Especially since it's not your DD, we can afford to do it right and take our time. I'm almost done researching my TT build, so I would love to help you with all that "headache" stuff and the physical swap itself. I have a solid understanding of electronic signals and seriously enjoy reverse engineering. My nickname at work is "Rainman" because I love this stuff.

Whatever you decide, I'd be glad to help. Replacing the head gaskets is the cheapest option and would get you rolling again the soonest. Take your time and be smart about it.

Swapping a low mileage DE or RevUp is probably your best bet. I would be leary about putting a lot of money into a hybrid swap with the amount of rust issues you have been having. Need to get it up on a lift and look for body rust before making that decision.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:37 PM
David_2613

Even if you sell it, we need to replace those head gaskets or you're not going to get any money for it. Assuming it's the gaskets.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:50 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Haha, yeah, I think our definition of fun might differ just a bit.

At this point, I don't think doing a HR swap would be realistic for me. Gains would be minor in my opinion and, especially, the cost rules it out for me.

As for replacing just the head gaskets, I'm afraid of finding other issues during the tear-down, not only from the blown gasket but since the engine itself is pretty old/abused from nitrous and racing.

Like you and Scott said, swapping in a low mileage DE is probably best.

Even if you sell it, we need to replace those head gaskets or you're not going to get any money for it. Assuming it's the gaskets.
Kind of messed up depending on how you look at it, but I figured I'll dump some bottles of head gasket sealants in. Hopefully, that'll stop the smoking for just long enough so I can sell to the dealer or something, haha.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:08 PM
AllstarE4
Sleeps in 350Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Too many suggestions being thrown around to make a logical decision. First step is to accurately diagnose the problem. Expect the worst, but hope for the best.

FWIW I would like to see you fix it and continue to enjoy the Z. I know you love the car. We would all feel the same way if our cars were having issues as well. It's quite clear that you have a local support group for any project so don't be too afraid to tackle it. Look at it as a learning experience. You're lucky enough to have the Z as a weekend car so you can really take your time getting things done.

Quick Reply: [DFW]: DFW's Lounge