Notices
Texas Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, etc.

[DFW]: DFW's Lounge

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 05:54 AM
AcidJake75
Living in 350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Brembo rebuild and install Complete

I still have not recieved the stickers and I could not wait for them to get installed. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....here they are..

Fronts

how sweet it is to have seals and everything all new / nice and snug..

Rear shot - Cleaned all the other hardware - took FOREVER but well worth it..

Installed..

After BEDDING them in - had to use the OEM pads cause they were still new - LOL - brake dust anyone?

Old 10-23-2010, 06:32 AM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

Originally Posted by AcidJake75
I still have not recieved the stickers and I could not wait for them to get installed. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....here they are..

Fronts

how sweet it is to have seals and everything all new / nice and snug..

Rear shot - Cleaned all the other hardware - took FOREVER but well worth it..

Installed..

After BEDDING them in - had to use the OEM pads cause they were still new - LOL - brake dust anyone?

Damn, Jake.....those look great !

Can't wait to see how you like them on the track.

BALLER
Old 10-23-2010, 06:45 AM
AcidJake75
Living in 350Z

^^^thx Chris - I really cant wait to put them to the test man...bite on them is quite nice..and auto-x will be the perfect test.. also cant wait to hang out with all my Z and G buds that are going out - we are going to have a NICE BIG OL group this time..Im already ready to go NOW! LOL
Old 10-23-2010, 09:18 AM
WheelFix

Those brakes look money Jake, and hopefully they will perform as good as they look. I may come out to TMS for some spectating and support since I ended up not going to Texas Mile because it was too late to register. I will be registering and running at the Texas Mile in March though.

I found some pics online from the Ricekiller Thursday night throwdown back on the 14th at Northstar Dragway. I only made one pass that night (1/8th mile) and went 9.24 at 78mph with a 60ft time of 2.24. My previous best time at this track is 9.15 at 79mph. Its a fun time out there, free to spectate and $10 to race. Ill be sure to post a reminder for the next one.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:21 PM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

Eric,

I'll go with you in March to that event.....that looks fun as hell....let's definitely hook up a few weeks before it happens.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

looks sweet jake!! which pads did you go with?

1/8th mile is such a tease, they should expand that track. id go drag racing much more often if a quarter mile track was up there in denton.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:16 PM
WheelFix

Originally Posted by fithamoto
Eric,

I'll go with you in March to that event.....that looks fun as hell....let's definitely hook up a few weeks before it happens.
For sure Chris!

Originally Posted by Nexx
looks sweet jake!! which pads did you go with?

1/8th mile is such a tease, they should expand that track. id go drag racing much more often if a quarter mile track was up there in denton.
I totally agree. In fact most of the time people are still accelerating / shifting beyond the finish line at the 1/8th mile track. High power cars that dont get good traction suck in the 1/8th. There was several Vettes, Camaros, etc that were runnung high 9s and even 10s because of bad launches but would have easily beat me in the 1/4. Ennis and Crandall are too damn far. We need one closer!
Old 10-23-2010, 03:34 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

@ V8s running 9+ seconds. I'm guessing that most people that show up at the Denton tracks have no clue on how to drag race (launch or even shift). It doesn't take much skill to go down the strip. I mean, you just stomp on the gas and go, right?

Drag racing down the 1/4 isn't going to make you look better if you can't launch or shift down the 1/8; it only proves what kind of a driver you are as the car begins to do more work down the latter half than the actual driver. Remember, 1/4 mile time slips show everything that the 1/8 mile time slips show + the back half.

And Ennis and Crandall aren't that far. I used to go down from Sherman (and had a buddy who used to drive up from Waco) to race way too often to hear complaints about how far the track is. Trust me, it'll be worth the drive. Plus, you'll actually get to see real drag racers and insane drag cars, none of them weaksauce drag racers with V8s doing 9+ sec down the 1/8. Glad to see some DFW Z owners drag racing. There weren't many of us to begin with and we're a dying breed.

WheelFix - What size are your wheels and tires?
Old 10-23-2010, 05:29 PM
WheelFix

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
@ V8s running 9+ seconds. I'm guessing that most people that show up at the Denton tracks have no clue on how to drag race (launch or even shift). It doesn't take much skill to go down the strip. I mean, you just stomp on the gas and go, right?

Drag racing down the 1/4 isn't going to make you look better if you can't launch or shift down the 1/8; it only proves what kind of a driver you are as the car begins to do more work down the latter half than the actual driver. Remember, 1/4 mile time slips show everything that the 1/8 mile time slips show + the back half.

And Ennis and Crandall aren't that far. I used to go down from Sherman (and had a buddy who used to drive up from Waco) to race way too often to hear complaints about how far the track is. Trust me, it'll be worth the drive. Plus, you'll actually get to see real drag racers and insane drag cars, none of them weaksauce drag racers with V8s doing 9+ sec down the 1/8. Glad to see some DFW Z owners drag racing. There weren't many of us to begin with and we're a dying breed.

WheelFix - What size are your wheels and tires?
Yea most of the V8 guys were just dumping the clutch at 5000 on radials and missing 2nd gear. A lot of new Camaro and New Mustang owners LOL. My car has responded to the suspension mods very well so I am relearning the launch (first launch since the springs..etc). You're right, Ennis isn't technically that far. I grew up at that track with my best friend who's dad was a Saturday bracket racer. I went to all of the Nationals out there too as a kid. Back then I lived in Desoto just south of Dallas which is considerably closer than Denton where I am now. I've been to Crandall three times now but haven't driven the Z out there yet. I will probably test and tune at Import Faceoff in Ennis in November. I hope to be in the 13.9s. I love drag racing and will continue to do so in the Z but I do want to get into autox and drifting as well.

The wheels are 19x10 255/35zr19 front and 19x12 305/30zr19 rear.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:10 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

HOLY **** @ your wheel/tire sizes!

BTW, I'm not sure what year your Z is, but you should be running high 13s stock with the winter weather just around the corner, even with them massive wheel/tire combo. If modded, you should expect mid 13s. I wish I could be there to go out to the drag strip with you.

How are you launching?
Old 10-23-2010, 06:31 PM
WheelFix

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
HOLY **** @ your wheel/tire sizes!

BTW, I'm not sure what year your Z is, but you should be running high 13s stock with the winter weather just around the corner, even with them massive wheel/tire combo. If modded, you should expect mid 13s. I wish I could be there to go out to the drag strip with you.

How are you launching?
Its an 04 with MD 5/16 GF210s with rear camber at -1.6 (stock). I have Bridgestones on now which hook better than the Mich PS2s I had before and the PZeros before those. So yea, basically stock. I had test pipes on for a few months but didn't like the low end torque loss among other things like smell and sound. I am launching at 4000 feathering off a little, I have a blown rear diff bushing. My last pass was the first one on the suspension and it felt really good off the line - no wheel spin or hop. I felt my head actually snapping back. I ran in July at Scion Drag n Brag which is at TMS 1/8th mile down pit row. It was just like launching on a neighborhood street being unprepped concrete. Lots of wheel spin out there but I made to the finals only to lose to a Cobalt turbo on slicks

Any suggestions on the launch?
Old 10-23-2010, 09:42 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

First of all, I advise against launching on the streets. The street pavements are very rough and will eat up your tires like a ****. I'm also surprised to hear that Bridgestones (unless you have RE-01s or its successor) hook better than Michelin PS2s, as my experience has always been the opposite. I agree that PZeros don't hook as well as the aforementioned.

Your camber is definitely not set up for drag racing, but mine never was either at around -1.8 and you could still pull a 2.0 flat as-is. I don't know about the spring rates of the GF210s, but I'm sure you know that for RWD, softer will yield better results. My diff bushing's been blown for as long as I can remember and I was still able to pull 2.0s on streets and 1.7s on slicks. I'm not saying it doesn't matter, just that it's still possible to get a good launch.

As far as launching goes, I personally think 4K launches are a bit high, especially on street tires, but this can differ from driver to driver. Since your short time is 2.2s and with those 305s, I'm guessing that you're bogging off the line after the launch, which usually means you need better clutch work in my experience. I suggest launching at a lower RPM around 3-3.5K (it'll be easier to feather out the clutch and the transition into the launch should be smoother), hold the throttle constant for the initial launch, then let out the clutch smoothly (but still quickly) as you give more throttle. Launch RPM needs experimentation by the driver with the car, but remember to change only 1 aspect of your launch technique at a time to see what works and doesn't work for you and your car. If you're still using the stock clutch, you should smell a hint of the clutch burning with a good launch. And slight wheel spin isn't bad. This is just how I launched on street tires. Hang around the drag sub-forum and see what others are doing.

I'm not sure what the DA's are like in TX right now, but you should be well into the 13s with light bolt-ons. While high 13s should be a given, your heavy and wide wheel/tire set up will kill your top end. How's your shifting? 1-2 is always the hardest and where people lose the most time. Post up a time slip.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:03 AM
WheelFix

I am as suprised as you that the Bridgestones grip better than the PS2s. The PS2s were pretty good but were really slippery at lower tread. The Bridgestones are RE050 from a Porsche. The good thing about the PS2s was just enough wheel spin to prevent bogging. This is why I was suprised to grip and not bog the other night at 4000 on the Bridgestones.

The GF210s are soft, softer than stock in the rear I believe. I read in the drag racing forum that some of the high power guys set their camber at the stock -1.6 and improved their 60ft times. While 0 camber or close to it would be ideal for launching thats not going to work with my huge wheels. Obviously I am giving up top end for looks with the wheels but I am happy with the trade off.

My 1-2 shift is pretty quick I think...I shift wide open LOL. I'm on the stock clutch and yes, I do smell some burning after runs. Thanks for the tips. I saw your sig when I first joined and gained confidence in what my car will actually run without boost, hi rev, etc. Ill post my time slip in the drag racing section soon and hoipefully a 1/4 time slip in November.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:37 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

The DEs are definitely capable of hitting 12s with some good bolt-ons, the right driver, and the right conditions. I wish we had the HR's power.

I'll be looking forward to your time slips, then!

I think somebody mentioned the Texas Mile.

https://my350z.com/forum/the-lounge-...ile-crash.html

Last edited by 3hree5ive0ero; 10-24-2010 at 02:05 PM. Reason: texas mile
Old 10-24-2010, 02:55 PM
WheelFix

^ dang...I was supposed to go but backed out. Scary stuff. I wonder if there was an in car camera.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:19 PM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

That sucks that the chute got sucked in.....I would think that at those speeds they would need a wind or something to force some weight downward to keep them from lifting.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:01 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

AUTOX WAS BIIITCCCCHHH'n!!!

that is all..

-J
Old 10-25-2010, 06:05 AM
JLS2GOZ

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
AUTOX WAS BIIITCCCCHHH'n!!!

that is all..

-J
Ohhhhhhhhhhh I wanted to be there ! The 240sx dead battery, and rear flat.
Thats how I spent my day. BTW Jason, I found tires at mom and pop 4/$110.
mounted and balanced almost brand new(Ventura HD II). Theyll work for him for now.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:10 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

^ awesome.........sounds like a good deal on tires forsure!

-J
Old 10-25-2010, 06:14 AM
JLS2GOZ

Hey Jake..........where is the pics of your car with all the new gear ? tap tap tap... Im waithing.....tap tap tap

Quick Reply: [DFW]: DFW's Lounge