Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

AAM Review - UTEC Engine Management System

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005 | 12:31 PM
Mike@Altered
Banned

Originally Posted by atlsupdawg#2
Awesome write-up.. I know what'll go in my car..

Question for Mike or Dave, I know this unit is "vehicle specific" but is there ANY chance the UTEC can run low impedence injectors since it has it's own inj. drivers (if I read correctly)??
Thanks! We put alot of time into testing the UTEC and putting together the writeup, glad to see everyone likes it. I'll try to put together similar writeups on other new Z's stuff over the next few weeks!

As far as the low impedence injectors go, the UTEC cannot currently drive them.
Old 12-07-2005 | 02:49 PM
atlsupdawg#2

Originally Posted by Mike@Altered
Thanks! We put alot of time into testing the UTEC and putting together the writeup, glad to see everyone likes it. I'll try to put together similar writeups on other new Z's stuff over the next few weeks!

As far as the low impedence injectors go, the UTEC cannot currently drive them.
I kinda figured that...The reason I ask is I have a set of 720cc inj. off my old Supra that I just never got rid of. Planning on F/I this upcoming year and figured I can save a little if I tried to run these. Hell, I don't even know if they'll fit but I can make 'em

Anyway your professional opinion, how would the UTEC handle running these injectors if I were to run fuel injector ballast resistors such as this one for the RX7?

"These are ballast resistors for using low reisistance injectors with a high resistance computer application. One resistor is used per injector and is wired in series. Sold individually."
Old 12-07-2005 | 03:55 PM
Gman2004

"These are ballast resistors for using low reisistance injectors with a high resistance computer application. One resistor is used per injector and is wired in series. Sold individually."
how much is each resistor?
Old 12-07-2005 | 04:08 PM
atlsupdawg#2

Originally Posted by Gman2004
how much is each resistor?
Gman2004,
$10 bucks...each

Last edited by atlsupdawg#2; 12-07-2005 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-07-2005 | 04:09 PM
dynamic6er

I kinda figured that...The reason I ask is I have a set of 720cc inj. off my old Supra that I just never got rid of. Planning on F/I this upcoming year and figured I can save a little if I tried to run these. Hell, I don't even know if they'll fit but I can make 'em

Anyway your professional opinion, how would the UTEC handle running these injectors if I were to run fuel injector ballast resistors such as this one for the RX7?

They should run fine with the resistor box. All the '90's Japanese Super Cars used low impedence injectors with a resistor box. For a cleaner install you way want to look into buying a resistor box for a 3000GT or a Supra.

The proper way to do it is with an Injector Driver Box, but that tends to defeat the cost saving purpose. I'm almost sure the injectors from the Supra will fit up though they may need a new upper o-ring.

http://www.fjoracing.com/products/injdrvr/

http://www.aempower.com/product_ems.asp (at the bottom of the page)
Old 12-07-2005 | 06:57 PM
Netko350Z

And you can still use your Gameboy with it!!
http://www.turboxs.com./more_info.php?ID=131
Old 12-07-2005 | 07:07 PM
Netko350Z

Is it safe to say this is a "good bang for the buck" option? Since we all know the factory ECU will always go back to it's initial settings when you add any mods.

and...

Is this something that anyone could install? You mentioned about keeping a database of upgrades. So I could buy it, install it and download any upgrades via the internet?

Last edited by Netko350Z; 12-07-2005 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-07-2005 | 07:43 PM
SirZaLot

Can any dyno shop tune the UTEC?
Old 12-08-2005 | 04:54 AM
dynamic6er

Originally Posted by Netko350Z
Is it safe to say this is a "good bang for the buck" option? Since we all know the factory ECU will always go back to it's initial settings when you add any mods.

and...

Is this something that anyone could install? You mentioned about keeping a database of upgrades. So I could buy it, install it and download any upgrades via the internet?
This is an awesome "bang for the buck" The AAM ECU flash gave us the control and knowledge to make a car safe, but not easily changable by the user for conditons or setup.

This is a very straight foward install and includes all the parts to mount it next to the factory ECU. You can download the instructions, which are very good by the way (good job Jermaine ).

www.alteredatmosphere.com/utec/utecman.pdf

All software upgrades will be avaiable on our site and we will post when they are available as well as email all our customers. We will also be maintaining a library of TurboXS base maps, many of which we will be generating here.

One thing to note is no matter how good a base map is, it is still just a base map. This is an exciting product, but becasue of its complexity and the compexity of some peoples setups this is not something you install and then go out and stomp on (especially boosted cars). We recommend professional tuning by authorized TurboXS Tuners, preferably those that have experiance with the 350Z/G35.
Old 12-08-2005 | 05:05 AM
DomZ

Can I or will I be able to alter my 5AT shift points at all?
Old 12-08-2005 | 08:37 AM
dynamic6er

Originally Posted by SirZaLot
Can any dyno shop tune the UTEC?
PM sent.
Old 12-08-2005 | 08:37 AM
BlackTuner

Originally Posted by DomZ
Can I or will I be able to alter my 5AT shift points at all?
No, the Z UTEC doesn't alter how and why the AT will shift.

Thanks,

Jermaine~
Old 12-08-2005 | 08:46 AM
BlackTuner

Originally Posted by nissansource
so if its locking the Timing then the CAM PHASING isnt happening then... thorefore the max potential of the motor isnt utilized. is this correct? i thought the UTEC did the camphasing in the thread they where talking in couple months back. I was reading the manual and no where did i see this option. oh well not a biggie since it doesnt modify signal like a EU or afc. I do wonder if you can see the transition from Stock ECU to UTEC on a dyno when max load is expected. any hickups on this transition
I do not think that means what you think it means.

Cam Timing is the relation between your cam and crank. Ignition timing is the relation between your Piston and the point where you start firing the Ignition coils. Hence the Degree's Before Top Dead Center (of the piston).

The VTC capability is not in the release version of software. We have the hardware ability but we have not enabled the software to adjust these parameters.

Thanks,

Jermaine@turboxs.com
Old 12-08-2005 | 02:23 PM
XBS
Veteran
Premier Member

Can any tuner tune this or do you have to be "authorized" by turbo XS to do it. I am in LA area and thinking of having Brainstorm do my tuning
Old 12-08-2005 | 02:29 PM
Mike@Altered
Banned

Originally Posted by XBS
Can any tuner tune this or do you have to be "authorized" by turbo XS to do it. I am in LA area and thinking of having Brainstorm do my tuning
What is your setup? Although it is a good idea to go to a facility that has UTEC tuning experience, with a good base map any good tuner should be able to tune the UTEC if they take the time to read the instruction manual.

Hope this helps,
Old 12-08-2005 | 03:04 PM
XBS
Veteran
Premier Member

They do tune the UTEC for the subaru guys so and have done many Zs I will be running a greddy TT with built block (9.0:! arias, pauter, arp) stock heads, looking into either your fuel return system or the CJM already have the 650cc injectors was going to use emanage ultimate but now im going to sell it and get the UTECH, shoot me a PM maybe we can work someting out ( UTECH and extras + Fuel return system )

Thanks

-George
Old 12-08-2005 | 03:12 PM
Diesel350

If I get the UTEC for NA and then decide to go FI will I need to buy another unit or can they use the same unit and retune?
Old 12-08-2005 | 03:51 PM
XBS
Veteran
Premier Member

they can retune the same unit
Old 12-08-2005 | 04:10 PM
Mike@Altered
Banned

Originally Posted by Diesel350
If I get the UTEC for NA and then decide to go FI will I need to buy another unit or can they use the same unit and retune?
As XBS posted you can use the same unit. When you go forced induction with the UTEC the only upgrade you need is the UTEC MAP Sensor ($99) which lets you tune the UTEC for boost.

Hope this helps,
Old 12-08-2005 | 05:19 PM
TurboXS_Nathan

Originally Posted by XBS
If you are in LA and thinking about having a UTEC tuned you should check out GT Motorsports in Rancho Cucamonga (909-989-2278).

-Nathan
www.turboxs.com

Quick Reply: AAM Review - UTEC Engine Management System