Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

AAM Review - UTEC Engine Management System

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005 | 01:53 PM
LaPuLaPu

What is the learning curve for the UTEC? Can one easily learn how to tune with the UTEC and a wideband?
Old 12-15-2005 | 03:42 PM
TurboXS_Nathan

Originally Posted by jmckuhen
Let me check with Buschur (I think i've heard of them before, but i could be making that up since I only just moved to Cincy).
Of the people at Buschur that were familiar with the UTEC Tym had the most hands on experience.

I have no doubt that Buschur can do a good job with the UTEC, but you should drop off a copy of the manual a few days early and expect that you'll be paying him to figure out the system on your car as he has absolutely no experience with the zUTEC. It's important to remember that the zUTEC is a whole different beast then all previous versions.

With the limited availability of the platform, and with very few dealers currently trained on the system, you may find that a road trip to a trained dealer is well worth your time. My only recommendation is that you bring your own gas with you as blends can change drastically across the country.

It’s a long drive, but MD is currently the center of the zUTEC tuning universe. I’d hate to have an early adopter have a bad experience because someone unfamiliar with the system has a hard time getting the most out of it.

-Nathan
Old 12-15-2005 | 05:19 PM
jmckuhen

Originally Posted by TurboXS_Nathan
Of the people at Buschur that were familiar with the UTEC Tym had the most hands on experience.

I have no doubt that Buschur can do a good job with the UTEC, but you should drop off a copy of the manual a few days early and expect that you'll be paying him to figure out the system on your car as he has absolutely no experience with the zUTEC. It's important to remember that the zUTEC is a whole different beast then all previous versions.

With the limited availability of the platform, and with very few dealers currently trained on the system, you may find that a road trip to a trained dealer is well worth your time. My only recommendation is that you bring your own gas with you as blends can change drastically across the country.

It’s a long drive, but MD is currently the center of the zUTEC tuning universe. I’d hate to have an early adopter have a bad experience because someone unfamiliar with the system has a hard time getting the most out of it.

-Nathan
Man! You guys just don't want to make this easy on me do you? Ok, can someone at AAM give me a cost to tune this sucker? I just might make the drive if it is worth it. In case you need to know, my mods are as follows:

Injen CAI
Topspeed Headers
Kenetix HFC's
Nismo exhaust
Crawford cast plenum

And I plan on staying N/A for right now. Also, with the holidays and a business trip to Costa Rica early Jan. it would probably be late Jan or early Feb before I could make it out there.

Oh, and get this my car was broken into today in the work parking lot. Someone broke my passenger side window and stole my radar detector and all my change. What a world we live in today. If I would have known, I would have taken the radar detector out, taped a $20 bill to it, wraped it with a bow and put it on my roof just to not have the POS break my window.
Old 12-15-2005 | 06:10 PM
dovla

Originally Posted by dynamic6er
TurboXS currently states that the front 02's are not input into the UTEC and it does not have the ability to log it properly. This makes sense becasue TurboXS uses Bosch WB02 Sensors. The Nissan uses NTK sensors. The voltage offsets and resistance calibrations are very different between the two. Also the UTEC may have been designed to only recognize narrowband sensors from the factory which use a 0-1v signal as opposed to the WB02 0-5V signal.

The Innovate can be confirgured to be input into the UTEC we would just need to log the voltage output of the Tuner vs the AFR. Then with the Innovate Logworks tool we will be able to change the voltage offsets so that it meets what the UTEC is expecting. The only outstanding issue is aquiring the connectors and confirming the wire diagram.
Please confirm, because UTEC Manual states following:

350Z Z UTEC User Manual 232.2 Page 47 29/11/2005
The Dashboard is a real time display screen of various UTEC inputs and outputs:

O2: Front Oxygen Sensor current
AFR: Front O2 Sensor signal converted to Air:Fuel Ratio

350Z Z UTEC User Manual 232.2 Page 49 29/11/2005
The Logger screen allows you to data log key tuning parameters:

AFR (Air:Fuel Ratio)
Thanks
Old 12-16-2005 | 05:30 AM
Mike@Altered
Banned

Originally Posted by jmckuhen
Man! You guys just don't want to make this easy on me do you? Ok, can someone at AAM give me a cost to tune this sucker? .....
Oh, and get this my car was broken into today in the work parking lot. Someone broke my passenger side window and stole my radar detector and all my change. What a world we live in today. If I would have known, I would have taken the radar detector out, taped a $20 bill to it, wraped it with a bow and put it on my roof just to not have the POS break my window.
PM sent!

Sorry to hear about your car, it sickens me to know there are people out there in this world that stoop so low.

When my Z was only a week old some kids in a movie theater parking lot decided to take a key to my front fender, beautiful 2 1/2ft long scratch.

Then, still under a year old, I was coming home on new years eve and two drunk Teenageers were hiding on the side of the road with a 6ft x 6/7inch pole smashing peoples windshields as they stopped at the light. Needless to say I ran them down (wanted to run them over ) ... but never the less it was extremely dissapointing. More dissapointing because even though I caught them and got the cops involved, by the time I got them they were two miles over the VA line and the VA cops couldn't arrest them for a crime that took place in DC!
Old 12-16-2005 | 05:46 AM
BlackTuner

Just one correction. The UTEC does not allow you log another wide 02 solution. The UTEC will only log Tuner Products for AFR. You may want download the current manual off of the website.

http://www.turboxs.com/utec350zupdate.htm

Thanks,

Last edited by BlackTuner; 12-16-2005 at 06:17 AM.
Old 12-18-2005 | 09:53 AM
jen350z

subscribing
Old 12-21-2005 | 05:43 AM
gringott

I can hardly wait to get this bad boy installed.
Old 12-21-2005 | 06:36 AM
trey.hutcheson

After reading all this, I'm still confused. I believe I read that the UTEC can spoof the stock ECU into adjusting fuel by tampering with the MAF's voltage. I then later read that the UTEC is capable of running "stand-alone"; controlling fuel and timing itself.

Can someone please clarify this?

Also, assume I get the UTEC, install it, and have it tuned. Is it "always on", or do I have to manually select a map to run, or what?
Old 12-21-2005 | 06:44 AM
BlackTuner

Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
After reading all this, I'm still confused. I believe I read that the UTEC can spoof the stock ECU into adjusting fuel by tampering with the MAF's voltage. I then later read that the UTEC is capable of running "stand-alone"; controlling fuel and timing itself.

Can someone please clarify this?

Also, assume I get the UTEC, install it, and have it tuned. Is it "always on", or do I have to manually select a map to run, or what?
Trey,

The UTEC can be used in a multiple of ways for fuel tuning. Depending on your application we recommend 1 of the 2 most common methods. If you are installing the UTEC on a Forced Induction vehicle we recommend tuning the car with the Speed Density Version of software. This allows you to specify a required injector pulse width to achieve a certain AFR. The second mode is the MAF pull up/down. This is the simple form of fueling which offsets the MAF signal to alter the AFR based on our fuel background map.

Down the line we are entertaining the idea of uses the speed density software to allow you to do things like individual throttle bodies etc.

When the UTEC is installed it is always running the car. Even in the stock mode the UTEC will fire coils and injectors based on what the factory ECU wanted to do.

Thanks,

Last edited by BlackTuner; 12-21-2005 at 06:46 AM.
Old 12-21-2005 | 08:27 PM
Havok_RLS2

I just had my UTEC installed today by Mike and Jason at AAM. Those guys are ABSO-FREAKIN-LUTLY Awsome! I mean if any of you ever get the chance to visit their shop you really need to do so. Well worth the drive.

Thanks Mike and Jason and all the guys at AAM for the outstanding customer service.
Old 12-21-2005 | 08:47 PM
Havok_RLS2

TTT
Old 12-22-2005 | 12:34 AM
thawk408

Originally Posted by Havok_RLS2
I just had my UTEC installed today by Mike and Jason at AAM. Those guys are ABSO-FREAKIN-LUTLY Awsome! I mean if any of you ever get the chance to visit their shop you really need to do so. Well worth the drive.

Thanks Mike and Jason and all the guys at AAM for the outstanding customer service.
How much power did you gain?
Old 12-22-2005 | 01:05 AM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by thawk408
How much power did you gain?
I didn't have it dyno tuned. I'll thell you this though. Get the Reflash with the UTEC. I can't tell you how cool it is to be able to rev to 7K. I can tell you there it some real potential up top if I ever get it tuned right.
Old 12-22-2005 | 01:19 AM
thawk408

Originally Posted by Havok_RLS2
I didn't have it dyno tuned. I'll thell you this though. Get the Reflash with the UTEC. I can't tell you how cool it is to be able to rev to 7K. I can tell you there it some real potential up top if I ever get it tuned right.
I have the rev-up motor. I can already rev to 7k. I dont want a reflash becuase I dont want any warranty trouble. Thats why I want the UTEC becuase it is plug and play.
Old 12-22-2005 | 01:30 AM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by thawk408
I have the rev-up motor. I can already rev to 7k.
In that case you're GOLDEN. Mike from AAM told me that with the base map I could expect about 10hp to the wheels and that with some tuning I shouldn't have any problems gaining another 5+. TurboXS stated some time ago that they were able to get 20+ after tuning. Personally if you have the time I'm give Mike from AAM a call. He really knows his stuff and doesn't seem to mind answering customer question. After meeting this guy I really do think highly of him and the rest of the guys at AAM. Can't go wrong with just a phone call.
Old 12-22-2005 | 05:17 AM
350Zenophile

Originally Posted by dynamic6er
The factory ECU has three different timing/fuel maps built in. When the factory ECU sees certian conditions it will select map A, B, or C. Because the Emanage Ultimate is just modifying the input signals and some of the output signals it is still depended on the factory ECU for its base fuel and timing. In other words it is a so-called "dumb" computer.

Lets say the EU was tuned while the car is using Map B, which is normal for dyno conditions. Then the car is taken out and run on the street. Things are nice and peachy until the car decides to run Timing MAP A becasue the weather is cool, no knock is detected by the factory knock sensor, and what ever other conditions are met to move to the A Map. Now on the A Map your timing is Advance by 2 to 7 degrees! This is completely unsafe for any high performance/compression/boosted motor.

The factory ECU also has a dynamic fueling stratagy that can vary fuel trims by ~20%. A 5% swing is huge for any performance motor.

The UTEC is a so-called "smart" computer. It is able to determine when it wants to fire the coils and injectors. Its has its own drivers, just like the factory ECU to tell the injector to fire and to tell the coil when to ignite. There is no way for the factory ECU to trim fuel curves and no way for the factory ECU to advance timing. The UTEC has just taken that control away. For a naturally aspirated VQ this is not a huge concern, but for a boosted motor this is the safest way to go about it. Without a doubt this is THE PREMIER Engine Management, short of the HKS F-Con Pro.
So the UTEC doesn't let the stock computer run it's pre-programmed ABC maps? I understand those are designed to protect the motor from poor fuel or excessive heat which could lead to detonation, but how does the UTEC do this? Does it use the factory knock-sensor and adjust for a range of conditions or are you locked into whichever map you've programmed/selected manually?
Old 12-22-2005 | 05:51 AM
Mike@Altered
Banned

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
So the UTEC doesn't let the stock computer run it's pre-programmed ABC maps? I understand those are designed to protect the motor from poor fuel or excessive heat which could lead to detonation, but how does the UTEC do this? Does it use the factory knock-sensor and adjust for a range of conditions or are you locked into whichever map you've programmed/selected manually?
Yes, the UTEC uses the factory knock-sensor and adjusts for a range of conditions. The UTEC also has a user definable feature that will essentailly "learn" and adjust timing a set amount if necessary (ie. bad tank of gas).

Hope this helps,
Old 01-17-2006 | 05:03 AM
Rizlam

Hi there

Thinking of this product for my Z in the UK (Vortech SC, Kinetix SSV & hi-flow cats, Nismo exhaust).

My current setup uses an AEM UEGO2 wideband O2 sensor. Will I have to dump this? Or can it be re-used?

What product(s) would I have to go to? I've just been scouring the AAM website and I can't even find the UTEC on it!!!

Thanks in advance...

Stephen
Old 01-17-2006 | 09:02 AM
Mike@Altered
Banned

Originally Posted by Rizlam
Hi there

Thinking of this product for my Z in the UK (Vortech SC, Kinetix SSV & hi-flow cats, Nismo exhaust).

My current setup uses an AEM UEGO2 wideband O2 sensor. Will I have to dump this? Or can it be re-used?
Stephen,

I would recommend this for your setup:

UTEC
UTEC Map Sensor
TunerREG Wideband 02

The AEM UEGO could be wired to work but the screen would read a different a/f ratio (scalling) than it actually is. The TunerREG plugs right in and is a very simple upgrade that will read accuratly.

If you have any other questions please feel free to shoot me an e-mail MikeM@alteredatmosphere.com.

Hope this helps,

Quick Reply: AAM Review - UTEC Engine Management System