Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

AAM Review - UTEC Engine Management System

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 06:29 AM
Havok_RLS2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@Altered
If you'd like shoot me an e-mail MikeM@alteredatmosphere.com. We are put together a package for our 05+ customers to include an immensly disconted ECU rev-limit flash (so you can set the rev-limiter) with the UTEC.

Hope this helps,
We've already discussed it and you know I'm game. What about the speed limiter removal? PLEASE????
Old 12-12-2005, 09:11 AM
nissansource

im still curious if you can feel the transition between stock ECU and Utec takeing over?
Old 12-12-2005, 10:59 AM
dynamic6er

Originally Posted by nissansource
im still curious if you can feel the transition between stock ECU and Utec takeing over?
Nope no difference on NA or Turbo! The UTEC continues to blow me away as we learn more about it.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:08 AM
dynamic6er

Originally Posted by zillinois
Looks like a really great system. It just moved to the top of my mod list.

Maybe someone can educate me on the VTC issue, but isn't that mainly for gas mileage when driving easily and power when driving hard and would have literally no effect on power at WOT after it phased? In other words, isn't the cam phasing just going to be maxed out at heavy load if the ECU detects WOT? Plus that fact that very few people I've ever met could tell you which way to adjust cam phasing to make an improvement. Just something to consider. I may be way off base, just let me know and I'll crawl back into my cave.
Cam timing is a trial and error process normally. Maybe an engineer could give you the exact setup that would work properly, but even then its doubtful. Cam timing can vary emmensely from car to car and setup to setup.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:38 PM
Mike@Altered
Banned

Originally Posted by Havok_RLS2
We've already discussed it and you know I'm game. What about the speed limiter removal? PLEASE????
Yeah sure, I can put the speed limiter removal in the 05+ package for everyone!
Old 12-14-2005, 12:15 AM
nosser

so where do I sign up..
Old 12-14-2005, 01:33 AM
bleunetizen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So how much is this gonna cost.. and will it work with JDM z33?
Old 12-14-2005, 05:51 AM
Mike@Altered
Banned

Originally Posted by nosser
so where do I sign up..
PM sent!
Old 12-14-2005, 05:55 AM
Mike@Altered
Banned

Originally Posted by bleunetizen
So how much is this gonna cost.. and will it work with JDM z33?
The UTEC should work with the JDM Z33 because the pinouts are similar. It hasn't been tested and may require a slightly different tuning setup.

I'll send you a PM.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:37 PM
jmckuhen

Default Wideband O2?

I noticed that the UTEC has the ability to display the AFR from the front O2 sensor current. So if you have a 04.5 with the wideband O2's in front, would you really need the Tuner REG system to datalog wideband O2 readings?
Old 12-15-2005, 02:41 AM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by Mike@Altered
Yeah sure, I can put the speed limiter removal in the 05+ package for everyone!
Sweet!
Old 12-15-2005, 06:36 AM
mojo powered

Originally Posted by jmckuhen
I noticed that the UTEC has the ability to display the AFR from the front O2 sensor current. So if you have a 04.5 with the wideband O2's in front, would you really need the Tuner REG system to datalog wideband O2 readings?
I remember Sharif saying something about the 04.5+ wideband sensor not being as precise as aftermarket widebands but I could be wrong.

It'll be sweet if this is possible, but for some reason, it sounds too good to be true to me.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:12 AM
jmckuhen

Originally Posted by mojo powered
I remember Sharif saying something about the 04.5+ wideband sensor not being as precise as aftermarket widebands but I could be wrong.

It'll be sweet if this is possible, but for some reason, it sounds too good to be true to me.

Can someone verify this? I would really like to know cause if it doesn't datalog the wideband from the front O2 sensor then I am gonna have to think really hard before i drop like $1600(not including install or tune) on that whole setup. If it did it for $1000 then it would be a no brainer, I mean that costs the same as a good wideband O2 system, SAFC-II, and the harness extension. Please can someone tell me? I would really like to order something sometime soon.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:04 AM
dynamic6er

Can someone verify this? I would really like to know cause if it doesn't datalog the wideband from the front O2 sensor then I am gonna have to think really hard before i drop like $1600(not including install or tune) on that whole setup. If it did it for $1000 then it would be a no brainer, I mean that costs the same as a good wideband O2 system, SAFC-II, and the harness extension. Please can someone tell me? I would really like to order something sometime soon.
TurboXS currently states that the front 02's are not input into the UTEC and it does not have the ability to log it properly. This makes sense becasue TurboXS uses Bosch WB02 Sensors. The Nissan uses NTK sensors. The voltage offsets and resistance calibrations are very different between the two. Also the UTEC may have been designed to only recognize narrowband sensors from the factory which use a 0-1v signal as opposed to the WB02 0-5V signal.

The Innovate can be confirgured to be input into the UTEC we would just need to log the voltage output of the Tuner vs the AFR. Then with the Innovate Logworks tool we will be able to change the voltage offsets so that it meets what the UTEC is expecting. The only outstanding issue is aquiring the connectors and confirming the wire diagram.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:35 AM
jmckuhen

Originally Posted by dynamic6er
TurboXS currently states that the front 02's are not input into the UTEC and it does not have the ability to log it properly. This makes sense becasue TurboXS uses Bosch WB02 Sensors. The Nissan uses NTK sensors. The voltage offsets and resistance calibrations are very different between the two. Also the UTEC may have been designed to only recognize narrowband sensors from the factory which use a 0-1v signal as opposed to the WB02 0-5V signal.

The Innovate can be confirgured to be input into the UTEC we would just need to log the voltage output of the Tuner vs the AFR. Then with the Innovate Logworks tool we will be able to change the voltage offsets so that it meets what the UTEC is expecting. The only outstanding issue is aquiring the connectors and confirming the wire diagram.
That sucks! While I could probably justify that kind of $ for an FI application, I just can't see spending like $2000 on a UTEC, Tuner Reg, install, and dyno tune that would realistically on net me like 15rwhp (more than likely) for an N/A setup. Back to the drawing board
Old 12-15-2005, 11:25 AM
dynamic6er

That sucks! While I could probably justify that kind of $ for an FI application, I just can't see spending like $2000 on a UTEC, Tuner Reg, install, and dyno tune that would realistically on net me like 15rwhp (more than likely) for an N/A setup. Back to the drawing board
The Tuner REG is not a 100% nessecity on a NA car. Its a nice option, but FI cars change their VE significantley across the majority of load sites so the logging makes it much easier to tune an FI car. We really recommend it on FI, but if you have an NA car tuned on the dyno then they should have a wideband what will allow them to tune everything properly. I promise you can install it yourself and drive it to the dyno shop or actually install it in the lot of the dyno shop. If you have time take a look at the instructions. It includes the physical installation info.

http://www.alteredatmosphere.com/utec/utecman.pdf

Last edited by dynamic6er; 12-15-2005 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:59 AM
jmckuhen

The Tuner REG is not a 100% nessecity on a NA car. Its a nice option, but FI cars change their VE significantley across the majority of load sites so the logging makes it much easier to tune an FI car. We really recommend it on FI, but if you have an NA car tuned on the dyno then they should have a wideband what will allow them to tune everything properly. I promise you can install it yourself and drive it to the dyno shop or actually install it in the lot of the dyno shop. If you have time take a look at the instructions. It includes the physical installation info.

http://www.alteredatmosphere.com/utec/utecman.pdf

OK. So u've peaked my interest. Next Question: Any idea of a shop in Cincinnati, OH that could tune this thing? I can't drive 9hrs (~500 miles) to ur shop in MD. Thanks for all your help.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:22 PM
dynamic6er

OK. So u've peaked my interest. Next Question: Any idea of a shop in Cincinnati, OH that could tune this thing? I can't drive 9hrs (~500 miles) to ur shop in MD. Thanks for all your help.
No problem. The base map that comes with the UTEC should gain you some power.

Buschur Racing is a very well known DSM/EVO tuner and should be more then able to tune the Z properly. He is familiar with the UTEC from his EVO work. Also you can try the dealers on the TurboXS website but I am not familiar with Victory Perfromance in Ohio.

http://www.turboxs.com/dealers.htm

Buschur Racing Inc.
24 West Main Street
Wakeman, OH 44889
(440) 839-1900 Phone
www.buschurracing.com
Old 12-15-2005, 12:42 PM
jmckuhen

No problem. The base map that comes with the UTEC should gain you some power.

Buschur Racing is a very well known DSM/EVO tuner and should be more then able to tune the Z properly. He is familiar with the UTEC from his EVO work. Also you can try the dealers on the TurboXS website but I am not familiar with Victory Perfromance in Ohio.

http://www.turboxs.com/dealers.htm

Buschur Racing Inc.
24 West Main Street
Wakeman, OH 44889
(440) 839-1900 Phone
www.buschurracing.com
Thanks Dave, u've been a great help. Let me check with Buschur (I think i've heard of them before, but i could be making that up since I only just moved to Cincy). If I can find a shop to tune this thing, I am deff down and I will order it from you guys becuse of your customer support. BTW, what is your price as I couldn't find it on ur website?
Old 12-15-2005, 01:18 PM
dynamic6er

Thanks Dave, u've been a great help. Let me check with Buschur (I think i've heard of them before, but i could be making that up since I only just moved to Cincy). If I can find a shop to tune this thing, I am deff down and I will order it from you guys becuse of your customer support. BTW, what is your price as I couldn't find it on ur website?
PM Sent New website is one the way in a few weeks! Sorry for the inconveniance.

Quick Reply: AAM Review - UTEC Engine Management System