Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Osiris from Uprev

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 12:03 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc25398
I was messing around with the map switching while waiting at a drive thru, and I switched to map 7 and it blinked 7 times confirming that it was on the seventh map. I didnt drive with it since I didnt know what it would do. I just found it interesting, as I only have five maps to select from. Does this mean my car can support more maps, and what would driving on a supposed map seven do?
Did the engine keep running?

I have no idea what it would do, but I wouldn't try it.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:58 AM
CarlosCh

I did my first logging attempts this weekend at the dyno... not a single performance log, however, I did it all manually... I will need to try the PL function.

Already sent to UpRev for analysis

C.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:59 PM
PunKidd

OK. It’s been a while since I was on here, so lets see if I can catch up.

Originally Posted by __jb
What type of driving do you want us to log for the A/F tuning? I'm pretty sure a full 5th gear run (like you would on a dyno) will be difficult to do on the street.
Is one good 3rd gear pull good enough for you (Jared) to get all the information you need to make a new ROM file?
It would probably save you some time if you would put some of the questions in an Osiris FAQ. The Cipher FAQ is very good and helped me when I first got it.
We prefer 0-60. At least 2 or 3.

Originally Posted by DomZ
Any new news on the 07's yet?
Nope. We have an 07 ECU in house and we’ve begun to do the reverse engineering on the new ECU architecture, but we don’t have any dates to release yet.

Initially, I wasn't going to post about the failure, but, I had planned to post about my success, so I didn't think it would be fair to hide the failure. The UpRev guys have been very helpful and plan to ship my reflashed ECU back to me as soon as possible. I don't hold any ill feelings towards them, it's just something that happened.
I agree, that wouldn’t be fair. We’re not trying to hide anything . Just trying to help people get the tuning capability that the Nissan market desperately needs.

Originally Posted by Marshall2K
Has anyone else performed this Osirus (re-flash) upgrade with the Cipher software already installed?
I am wondering if this might have attributed to the problem. An older driver being shared, or a corrupted .dll file, etc.
I hope you get everything taken care of ASAP.
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
That is a possibility. The old Cipher drivers are not compatible w/ the new cable drivers, but they do share a lot of the same files. If there is any doubt the best thing to do is go to the FTDi site (we use and FTDi USB transceiver) and download their FTDi Clean program that removes ALL FTDi drivers from the hard drive. Or email me and I’ll send you a copy of the program. Then you can be sure that you are installing clean.

Originally Posted by dovla
Question for UpRev: Any new updates on the knock counter? Thanks
No updates on the knock parameters. I honestly haven’t had any time to work on them since the last time I sent you an update. It’s still jumping BIGTIME on the first couple of knocks.

How would an end user do this? I'm sure the osirisROM file format is "undocumented." I didn't look at the file, but I figured it would be a binary file. Maybe EOF characters could be looked for. IAE, my ROM file was installed directly from the CD. Not much chance it was truncated.

It would be cool to have MD5 sums for each ROM file. That would insure the file was correct and complete.
The file format is encrypted, so opening it in anything other than Osiris is not going to do any good.
If you try to load a file w/ Osiris (you don’t have to be connected to the vehicle) you will get a file load error if the checksums don’t add up.

Are the revup ECUs more likely to lock up?
No. Just luck of the draw.

Originally Posted by i8acobra
EDIT: NM, looks like you already answered my questions:
If you guys decide to release the EU tuneable version, please let us know. That I'd be interested in. I pray for the day I can tune my Nissan the same way I can tune any OBD2 GM vehicle. I'd also be interested in an unlocked shop version once the EU tuneable is released.
EU tunable is still in the works, but we’ve moved our focus back on to making the reflash process more robust.
There is a pro tuning suite that is already avalible and being used at multiple shops here in the US as well as around Europe.

Originally Posted by rcdash
Quick question: can you guys scale for larger injectors. I think you can, so if so, how do you do it (injector pulse width reduction?) and are there any drawbacks? Does it work at startup (like when cranking)?
(anyone that knows the answer, feel free to clue me in - thanks)
Yes we can scale injectors, but it has to be done in person. This is done so by adjusting the K fuel value, which is a value that relates how long the injector needs to stay open to flow a specific unit of fuel. This gets a bit tricky because Nissan bases the majority of the tables off of Base Fuel Schedule which is how long the injector would have to stay open to maintain a stoich AFR based on air flow. So when you change the K value, it throws off all your load points and they have to be scaled as well. This is why we do not offer off the shelf maps for larger injectors. Injectors need to be fine tuned in person, and all the load based maps like fuel targets, ignition burn time, and cam advance all have to be fine tuned.

Just a small tip for people using Cipher to log Performance Runs.
For some reason Performance Runs are not suffixed with the .csv file extensions. They will have file names like "0to60_4.81Seconds" Maybe it's because the files would then have double extensions and fall foul of some antivirus software... I don't really know.
That makes them tricky to find when you click "Load" in the Cipher viewer. Just change the File Mask from "*.CSV files" to "All Files" and you will see them pop up. Cipher will then view them as usual.
This is a bug in Cipher that will be fixed soon.

Originally Posted by Doc25398
I was messing around with the map switching while waiting at a drive thru, and I switched to map 7 and it blinked 7 times confirming that it was on the seventh map. I didnt drive with it since I didnt know what it would do. I just found it interesting, as I only have five maps to select from. Does this mean my car can support more maps, and what would driving on a supposed map seven do?
Alex
Switching to a map beyond what your ECU is capable of storing will not do anything. The current map will remain in place.
We had originally planned to add a password option to the valet map so that you would have to do the correct number sequence to get it out of valet mode. That’s why it will blink more than 5.

As far as crashing ECUs go… we have taken focus off of the end user tunable version of Osiris so that we can focus on making the reflash process more robust. We should have an update very soon (next two weeks or so if all goes well). The new version of Osiris will not only crash FAR less often, you will also be able to do a partial-flash recovery. So even if your laptop dies or your car battery dies at only 20% you will still be able to reestablish a connection to the ECU and restart the flash w/o having to send it back to us so that we can recover it via the MCU debug port.

Jared@UpRev.com
Old 08-06-2007, 05:00 PM
PunKidd

Here’s the Osiris FAQ that has yet to be published.
If someone who posted on the first page would like to edit their post and add this to it, that might be helpful so people don’t have to go all the way to p16.
Q. Is the Cipher that comes bundled with Osiris different from the stand alone version?
A. The version of Cipher bundled with Osiris is the exact same as the stand-alone version. This includes the ability to use Cipher on multiple Vehicles.

Q. How many vehicles can I flash w/ Osiris?
A. The vehicle interface will link itself to the first ECU it flashes.
** One additional license can be purchased for $400.

Q. How many times can I flash my vehicle?
A. You can use Osiris to flash your ECU as many times as you would like.

Q. What is the price for eTuning services after I send my datalogs to UpRev?
A. Our eTuning service is currently free of charge, however, we reserve the right to charge for this service in the future.

Q. What parameters should be logged for AFR eTuning?
A.
AFR, B1 and B2 (Make sure your ECU is set up in the wide band conversion. See Cipher user guide)
Accelerator position (either one)
Base fuel schedule
Calculated load
Coolant temp
Engine speed (RPM)
Ignition timing advance
Throttle position (either one)

Q. Will my local Nissan/Infiniti service department know that my ECU has been modified?
A. It is possible that your local service department will discover your ECU modification. The Osiris flash does not affect any functionality of the Consult II and is transparent to common maintenance and diagnostic procedures. If a service tech were to test for our Map Switching, then they will know.

Q. How do I get my ECU back to 100% Stock.
A. At this time we do not have the functionality built into Osiris to return to 100% stock. If you require this, please contact us for help.

Q. Is there an upgrade route for current Cipher owners?
A. Yes, but your current Cipher cable will not function with Osiris. Contact us at info@uprev.com and we will walk you through the details.

Q. I tow 8-9k lbs quite often and am wondering if there is a map to provide a wider rpm of peak torque gains for towing applications?
A. We can't offer more power for a towing map. The additional weight of towing will change the load on the engine so we can't tune for it on the dyno. What we can provide for towing is basically the same thing we provide for 87 octane tune. It will include everything that a fully tuned map includes (ETC, Fuel, speed limit removed), but it will not have the aggressive ignition timing. It is possible that the aggressive ignition could cause pinging or detonation with the extra load on the engine.

Q. I have already done the 2 deg timing advance. Do I need to set this back to 0deg or will the flash take care of this?
A. Yes, you need to set the timing back to 0 Deg using Cipher.

Q. Can Cipher datalog AFR on my 2003-2004 350z or G35?
A. No. 2003 and early 2004 350Z/G35s do not come equipped w/ factory wide band sensors. To log AFR, you will need to install additional such as an Innovate LC-1+ with RPM pickup.

Q. Will a factory software update erase my UpRev reflash?
A. Yes, the update will overwrite everything, including your UpRev license. If an update is available for your vehicle, please contact us.

Q. I only want to change my idle RPM, Speed Limit and Rev Limits, is there a discount?
A. There are no discounts for only using certain features.

Q. Can Osiris set a desired AFR? For example, I’m running a little lean, can you guys fix that with a tune?
A. Yes, our tune can set a desired AFR to fix both rich and lean conditions. If you are running more lean/rich than normal, you should know why before we “fix” it with a tune. If you just start running lean one day for no apparent reason, you will want to figure out why before covering it up with a reflash. But if it was due to adding new hardware or another mod, then a tune is exactly what you need.

Q. How many maps can my ECU hold?
A. There is space for 5 maps on all ECU’s except for the 2004 Titan which only allows 3.

Q. How long does it take to reflash my ECU?
A. A typical reflash takes between 3-8 minutes.

Q. What versions of windows have been tested?
A. Windows 2000, XP, and Vista.

Q. How does map switching work?
A. Using the Cruise Control Buttons
-Hold the set/coast toggle down
-Press “Cancel” once for map 1, twice for map 2, etc...
-Then let off the set coast toggle
-When you let the toggle go the cruse "SET" light in the dash will blink once for map 1, twice for map 2, etc...

Q. Is the Cruise Control still functional with the map switching feature?
A. Yes

Q. What about those of us who don't have cruise control? Is there any other way to get multiple maps?
A. Not at this time.

Q. Will the ECU learn around the reflash like other engine management options?
A. No. When the ECU is reflashed it is given new targets to learn to. Over time as the ECU does learn the tune will get better as your vehicle learns to run closer to the new values.

Q. Where do I get my ECU part number?
A. 1) Connect to your vehicle w/ Cipher (if you know someone who has Cipher), and the text box after you connect will tell you.
2) Call your local dealership parts department w/ you VIN and ask for your ECU part number.
The ECU part number changes w/ software revisions, so even identical ECUs can have different part numbers (and they usually do). That's why there isn't a part number that you can get off the case. The number should be similar to 23710-?????

Q. Can Osiris be used to rescale fuel injectors and MAF sensors?
A. Osiris Loader does not support non-stock injectors or MAF sensors. Custom tuning for various components is available at UpRev’s facility in Austin, or at tuning shops using Osiris Pro Tuner software.

Q. Can I modify my own maps and do my own tuning?
A. Osiris currently works only with maps prepared by UpRev or a Pro Shop using our software. For those wanting to tune, we plan to release a customizable version of Osiris in the future.

Jared@UpRev.com
Old 08-06-2007, 05:01 PM
PunKidd

Oh yeah, the update for Osiris will also include the ability to flash the ECU back to 100% factory stock w/o erasing your UpRev flash license.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:02 PM
PunKidd

That also means that if you get a factory update from your dealer you can flash it back w/ Osiris.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:23 PM
RedondoG

Originally Posted by PunKidd

Osiris currently works only with maps prepared by UpRev or a Pro Shop using our software.
[email
Jared@UpRev.com[/email]
Jared,
Is there a list of tuner shops (in So. Cal.)?
Old 08-07-2007, 09:17 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

That is a possibility. The old Cipher drivers are not compatible w/ the new cable drivers, but they do share a lot of the same files. If there is any doubt the best thing to do is go to the FTDi site (we use and FTDi USB transceiver) and download their FTDi Clean program that removes ALL FTDi drivers from the hard drive. Or email me and I’ll send you a copy of the program. Then you can be sure that you are installing clean.
That might be what bit me. I did have to uninstall the Cipher Driver before the Osiris Driver would install. I thought the Osiris Installation program would either update my version of Cipher or remove it and reinstall a newer version. I didn't think that Cipher and Osiris might share DLL's that would not be overwritten.

Here's a link to download the FTClean program Jared mentioned. I downloaded it and will use it to clean my notebook when I get home tonight.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Resources/Utilities/FTClean.zip

The file format is encrypted, so opening it in anything other than Osiris is not going to do any good. If you try to load a file w/ Osiris (you don’t have to be connected to the vehicle) you will get a file load error if the checksums don’t add up.
That's good news! I'm glad Osiris has a checksum feature for the ROM files. Good thinking, Jared.

I also didn't realize that Osiris could verify a ROM map without being connected to the vehicle. I'll try that too. Would be nice to have a separate "Verify ROM Map" option in Osiris.

This is a bug in Cipher that will be fixed soon.
Thanks, but this isn't a big deal. I knew I saw them while I was making them, but couldn't see them when I went to reload them at home. A quick look found them. I just thought it would save somebody else a bit of time.

As far as crashing ECUs go… we have taken focus off of the end user tunable version of Osiris so that we can focus on making the reflash process more robust. We should have an update very soon (next two weeks or so if all goes well). The new version of Osiris will not only crash FAR less often, you will also be able to do a partial-flash recovery.
This is great news!

So even if your laptop dies or your car battery dies at only 20% you will still be able to reestablish a connection to the ECU and restart the flash w/o having to send it back to us so that we can recover it via the MCU debug port.
This is spectacular news!
Old 08-07-2007, 09:23 AM
PunKidd

Originally Posted by RedondoG
Jared,
Is there a list of tuner shops (in So. Cal.)?
The only shop in So CA right now is GT Motorsports, but there may be a couple more very soon.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:44 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,283 Likes on 1,028 Posts

EU tunable is still in the works, but we’ve moved our focus back on to making the reflash process more robust.
There is a pro tuning suite that is already avalible and being used at multiple shops here in the US as well as around Europe.
Could you let me know who sells this? I'm interested in purchasing unlocked software to allow me to reflash multiple vehicles. Something like HP Tuners for GM. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:57 AM
Kieran@DrivenDynamics

Update: Although Im sure its been posted. Got an email back from Uprev, the 07 ECU is different and therefore not compatible just yet with Osiris.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:02 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

I swapped my UpRev ECU out for a second ECU with a stock tune tonight. I mainly wanted to make sure the second ECU would start the car and that everything would run correctly.

The difference between the stock ECU and the one that was tuned by UpRev (Osiris) was immediately noticeable. The tuned ECU has much more mid-range and upper RPM power than the stock ECU.

This is the same difference I noticed when I first put the tuned ECU into my G35. It is much more noticeable when swapping the ECUs out back to back. I didn't originally set out to do a back to back test, but I noticed the lack of power with the stock ECU right away.

And I don't even have my custom tune yet!
Old 08-10-2007, 09:10 AM
scratch137

Im ichin like i have a yeast infection to see some dynos this is killin me!!!!!
Old 08-10-2007, 09:38 AM
INTIMAZY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 Dyno Or Ban!!!!!!!

J/k
Old 08-10-2007, 10:09 AM
scratch137

i second that lol
Old 08-10-2007, 11:27 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

There's no good reason for the people that already have Osiris installed and running to get a dyno. I can tell that my G runs better with the new tune... It's actually quite obvious. Maybe I notice it more because I have a fair bit of breathing mods. I don't know if it's this obvious for other people or not.

I got my G tuned at the Performance Factory on their DynoJet earlier this year. I'll go back at roughly the same time of year for another dyno so that the comparison will be similar. Right now it is incredibly hot in central Florida.

I'm also hoping that Jeremy will be a partner in the Osiris program by then and that he will be able to tune my G at the same time. That would have real value to me.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:48 PM
thinking

They have a some dyno charts on their site, but I'm sure you already knew that. Of course, "real" customer before and afters are always nice. If I get one (waiting for new software rev. mentioned above by punkidd) I will do a before and after.

Last edited by thinking; 08-10-2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:26 AM
CarlosCh

I already have my 'before' and will wait until I get the tune to post the 'after'... what I saw live at the UpRev place a few weeks ago was quite impressive - I hope to get something like that!

I will post the charts, no matter the result.

C.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:33 AM
Conceyted

When I finally get my car dyno'ed I have my stock map saved to map 1. it is a fully 100% stock map so I can switch the maps as I dyno for a comparison.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:29 PM
CarlosCh

Originally Posted by Conceyted
When I finally get my car dyno'ed I have my stock map saved to map 1. it is a fully 100% stock map so I can switch the maps as I dyno for a comparison.
By the way, Conceyted... what maps do you had configured? I still have not got to that stage of the process yet, so I am gathering ideas.

C.

Quick Reply: Osiris from Uprev