Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Osiris from Uprev

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 06:50 PM
dTor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ken350z
Is is possible to get a good comparison of a stock and a new tune while on the dyno? I mean, do a couple of pulls using the stock tune then swtich to a modified tune and run another couple of pulls.

Or, does it take some running time for the ECU to make the most use of the new tune?

TIA

I was scheduled to get a before/after dyno this past weekend in Atlanta, but that fell through at the last minute. I have since found a shop with a dyno about an hour away from me. They are booked up 3-4 weeks in advance (always), but I am calling everyday to check for cancellations. However, since I just sent in my first set of datalogs to Jared today, I wouldn't want to go until I get my car "fully" e-tuned anyway. Hopefully I'll be on a dyno in the next couple of weeks.

BTW, the map switching is instant. The manual states to not switch maps unless you're at a complete stop (imagine accidentally switching from your performance tune to your valet tune while cruising down the interstate at 80+ mph ).
Old 09-05-2007, 08:58 PM
skaterbasist

Question regarding tuninng & aftermarket cams (spefically to UpRev or any other Osiris expert):

Let's say I get myself a pair of aftermarket cams for my G Coupe, which (for future reference) has already been e-tuned for full NA-Bolt ons (typical NA mods).

If I take my car down to a certified UpRev Osiris tuner (most likely GT Motorsports) for installation of cams and tuning, would he be able to fully tune to car for the new cams? Or is the UpRev Osiris limited in regards to tuning cams (which means a piggy back/stand-alone EMS is required)?

Old 09-05-2007, 10:29 PM
billybrun

Ha, the map switching is as safe as it could get. I've tried every combination you can think of, and it works instantly every time without a problem.
I start off on the valet map, floor it, switch to the performance map, and it takes off as soon as you let go of that button. Some of you even know I use it as a two step launch aid at the drag strip, and guess what? It works like a charm. All my times at the strip using let's say the 5000rpms map to launch, are all within 100s of a sec, from 60'' to ETs.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:22 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by billybrun
Ha, the map switching is as safe as it could get. I've tried every combination you can think of, and it works instantly every time without a problem.
I start off on the valet map, floor it, switch to the performance map, and it takes off as soon as you let go of that button. Some of you even know I use it as a two step launch aid at the drag strip, and guess what? It works like a charm. All my times at the strip using let's say the 5000rpms map to launch, are all within 100s of a sec, from 60'' to ETs.
^That's pretty freak'n cool.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:13 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Have you tried adding the extra 2 degrees of timing with Cipher?

Try it. It makes quite a bit of difference.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:06 AM
dTor

Dude, that is effing brilliant. I should find at what RPM I break traction, get a map made with an RPM limiter at the point of traction loss, then get the engine revving while holding the brake. As soon as I get moving, I can switch to the next map (I'd would be holding down the button already, so all I would need to do is release it to activate the performance map), and VOILA! A perfect launch every time!
Old 09-06-2007, 09:07 AM
dTor

Originally Posted by __jb

I was wondering if this would be a good idea with Osiris already tuned. I may call Jared and see what he thinks.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Marshall2K

OK,
I'm now ready to do this. I just sent UpRev an Email requesting information on a Reflash for my '04 G35.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:05 AM
AWDBall20

I want this
Old 09-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Conceyted

Originally Posted by dTor
I was wondering if this would be a good idea with Osiris already tuned. I may call Jared and see what he thinks.
Let me know what he says. I am running +2 timing with a tuned map. hope he says okay lol
Old 09-06-2007, 01:13 PM
PunKidd

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Question regarding tuninng & aftermarket cams (spefically to UpRev or any other Osiris expert):

Let's say I get myself a pair of aftermarket cams for my G Coupe, which (for future reference) has already been e-tuned for full NA-Bolt ons (typical NA mods).

If I take my car down to a certified UpRev Osiris tuner (most likely GT Motorsports) for installation of cams and tuning, would he be able to fully tune to car for the new cams? Or is the UpRev Osiris limited in regards to tuning cams (which means a piggy back/stand-alone EMS is required)?

We just tuned some JWT cams on a Titan last week. They made 10WHP w/ our old tune, then an additional 15WHP after we retuned it for the cams. That's 25WHP at peak, w/ some spots gaining more than 30WHP. That Titan has a TQ/HP curve like a Z/G now LOL (except that it peaks at 331WHP ).
Sam should have no problem retuning your G, but let him know you already have an UpRev license on your ECU, and make sure that you take a copy of your ROM w/ you. He will not be able to get your tune off of your ECU and he will need to port it into a ROM that supports real time tuning (RTT) so that he can tune it in real time. He does have access to the cam advance tables, they just can't be tuned in real time like the fuel and ignition, so it could take a little while.
-Jared.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:17 PM
PunKidd

In many cases, it is OK to run the +2 degrees global advance w/ one of our tunes, but if you hear any pinging or knocking set it back to 0 immediately.
It really varies from vehicle to vehicle as to whether or not the tune can take another 2 degrees.
-Jared.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:23 PM
PunKidd

Using map switching as a two step launch control was a great idea.
Just be sure to let me know that you are planning to use it in this way when you make your order or request ROM updates (Brun did this). Otherwise I will set the valet map to ALL STOCK values other than the rev and speed limits. You don't want to be switching from stock ETC, fuel, and ignition into a fully tuned map. It is better to launch in a tuned map that just has a low rev limit.
There are a few other people out there using this technique.

-Jared.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:46 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by PunKidd
In many cases, it is OK to run the +2 degrees global advance w/ one of our tunes, but if you hear any pinging or knocking set it back to 0 immediately.
It really varies from vehicle to vehicle as to whether or not the tune can take another 2 degrees.
-Jared.
Wouldn't the ECU detect the knock and pull back the timing?

I haven't tried the +2 degrees timing since I installed the custom tuned map you sent. It sure made a big difference in the first, generic map that came with my Osiris CD.

What determines whether it's OK to run the extra 2 degrees timing? Does it depend on how aggressively you programmed the timing when you created the map?
Old 09-06-2007, 05:07 PM
PunKidd

Wouldn't the ECU detect the knock and pull back the timing?

What determines whether it's OK to run the extra 2 degrees timing? Does it depend on how aggressively you programmed the timing when you created the map?
The ECU only monitors the knock sensor in a very limited RPM & Load range. Our development Z for instance only monitors knock above 7.29BFS (Load) and between 800 - 4800RPMs. Above 4800 it won't pull timing based on knock, so it is critical that the ECU not be tuned too aggressively above 4800RPM. It's lame, I know, but the DSP filters in these ECUs just aren't good enough to filter out noise at high RPMs. Hopefully it gets better on the HR ECU, but that is yet to be seen.

The only way to know for sure that you are OK w/ the extra 2 degrees is to get on a dyno and verify that it's making more power throughout the RPMs w/ the extra timing. If it's not, then there's no point in leaving it raised.

Another way to verify would be to make sure you don't have any audible knock or ping at high RPMs. Then try to make some consistent 0-60 pulls (consistent means your coolant temps are the same ). Do a few w/ the 0 advance then run a couple more w/ the 2 deg. If the 2 deg. pulls actually run the extra timing in the knock window I described earlier, then you are probably alright. If pulls a bunch of timing anywhere in that window, then it's too aggressive and the closed loop knock control is pulling timing (and you are loosing power).

-Jared.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:02 PM
billybrun

Yes, I've had the 2+ degrees of timing added since the first flash. I never took it out. I should try taking it out and logging.

Hey Jared, did you get my email? I can only imagine how busy you guys are.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:09 AM
Clipdin
SHIFT_happens

Man, us '07 guys are missing all the fun.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:16 PM
dTor

Thanks for the call back last night Jared!

I did add 2* timing and did some WOT runs on the interstate. I did not hear any pinging (of course, I get the good stuff - 93 octane FTMFW!). I'm going to do some more 0-60s after work and see if the 2* makes any difference.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:10 PM
Marshall2K

When I try to purchase at the UpRev website. I don't see a field for G35 or 5 map selections, only 3.

Does UpRev accept PayPal?
Old 09-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Conceyted

Originally Posted by dTor
Thanks for the call back last night Jared!

I did add 2* timing and did some WOT runs on the interstate. I did not hear any pinging (of course, I get the good stuff - 93 octane FTMFW!). I'm going to do some more 0-60s after work and see if the 2* makes any difference.
keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Osiris from Uprev