Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

What stand-alone ECUs can be used?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 04:06 AM
jpo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What stand-alone ECUs can be used?

Just after reading this sticky thread: https://my350z.com/forum/tuning/202798-aftermarket-engine-management-systems.html

I noticed the likes of the PowerFC in there, I was under the impression there was no PFC for the likes of the VQ35DE? If there are, who sells them cause I've spent literally hours trawling the net & come up with nothing!

I'm looking to find a standalone that isn't quite as expensive as the universal AEM one (if at all possible) that I can use to map a VQ. Would anyone have any suggestions & piggyback's won't do.

Thanks in advance!

JP
Old 04-23-2008, 10:07 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If a piggy back won't do, I would suggest FCON or Haltech... But unfortunately, they ain't cheap...
Old 04-23-2008, 10:32 AM
jpo

FCON's are out cause there's 2 crowds in Ireland that can actually map them (something to do with exhorbitant yearly licences from HKS) and the Haltech one I'm not familiar with - who sells them or (roughly) what price do they go for?

Are the Haltech's MAP sensor or MAF based do you know?
Old 04-23-2008, 11:02 AM
gothchick

Haltech is sold by Injected Performance, a vendor on this board. I'll let them quote a price, but you should hit'em up. People who have this standalone are very happy with it. It's a full standalone. Much better than UTEC (what I have).

Last edited by gothchick; 04-23-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:47 PM
jpo

Do you know does it come with it's own mapping software like the AEM or does that come shipped separately?

No-one have any word on a PowerFC no?
Old 04-23-2008, 10:27 PM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

The Haltech Platinum PNP ems does come with the new Haltech ECU Manager software (which is extremely nice, user friendly, and infinitely flexible). Unlike the HKS, it is unlocked and can be tuned by any competent tuner.

You can find more details on the unit on our site:
http://www.injectedperformance.com/e....aspx?ID=10373

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:08 AM
jpo

This thread was about standalone ECUs (i.e. can sit there & run the car/engine quite happily on its own) - is the Haltech standalone or not as I'm getting reports saying it's not.......?
Old 05-28-2008, 05:24 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Yes, the Haltech Platinum is a standalone fuel, ignition and cam timing EMS. Not to be confused with a piggy back which only modifies signals to the stock ecu, the Haltech takes complete control of each injector, coil pack, and cam timing solenoid. The confusion often comes from the fact that it is a plug+play solution, and the stock ecu remains in the vehicle to drive systems such as gauges, drive-by-wire, etc. You will find the other standalones require the oem ecu as well.

In applications where the motor is swapped into another vehicle (such as VQ35 -> 240SX) the OEM ecu is not required due to using a cable throttle and non-350z dash.

Originally Posted by jpo
This thread was about standalone ECUs (i.e. can sit there & run the car/engine quite happily on its own) - is the Haltech standalone or not as I'm getting reports saying it's not.......?
Old 05-28-2008, 06:13 AM
jpo

So if I want to keep the drive-by-wire or cruise-control I need a standard ECU?

Is there any other solution that would work since the Haltech doesn't seem to do the job?
Old 05-28-2008, 08:15 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,283 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by jpo

Is there any other solution that would work since the Haltech doesn't seem to do the job?
It would help if you explain what it is you're trying to do with the engine.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:05 AM
jpo

Sorry, I haven't announced it til now as I'm conscious of how some people on forums react to the news of engine-swops: I know someone for example that was blatantly ignored on other forum when they read that he was putting an RB25 into an S13. I'm looking at putting a VQ35 into a 200SX S14a (240SX as it's known over your side of the water), forging it with low-compression pistons & associated gubbins and a pair of turbos, all the while using it as a daily-driver for long trips on motorways etc.

Can I get a VQ35DE to work in a 200SX while keeping the cruise-control functionality with a standalone ECU, or do I need a standard one regardless if I want cruise-control to work?
Old 05-28-2008, 11:09 AM
gothchick

You might wanna check this out then...

https://my350z.com/forum/na-builds/350513-vq-powered-s14.html
Old 05-28-2008, 11:16 AM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by jpo
Sorry, I haven't announced it til now as I'm conscious of how some people on forums react to the news of engine-swops: I know someone for example that was blatantly ignored on other forum when they read that he was putting an RB25 into an S13. I'm looking at putting a VQ35 into a 200SX S14a (240SX as it's known over your side of the water), forging it with low-compression pistons & associated gubbins and a pair of turbos, all the while using it as a daily-driver for long trips on motorways etc.

Can I get a VQ35DE to work in a 200SX while keeping the cruise-control functionality with a standalone ECU, or do I need a standard one regardless if I want cruise-control to work?

Isn't gas like $10 a liter over there?
Old 05-28-2008, 11:23 AM
jpo

Originally Posted by gothchick
You might wanna check this out then...

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=350513
Nicely done! Thanks for that!

Originally Posted by UpRev
Isn't gas like $10 a liter over there?
I'll be running mine on E85. 99.9c/L as opposed to €1.30c/L at the current rate - I've been running my SR20DET on it for over a year now and with the results I've seen so-far I'm happy to have my new project-car run on it too. Supply is a small issue depending on what end of the country I end up in but it's getting better.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:48 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,283 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by jpo

The criuse control funtionality is going to work one of two ways... Either use the 200SX throttle body, cruise control and ECU or use the 350Z throttle body, cruise switches and ECU (both solutions will also require using the Haltech to run the engine). You can't mix and match.

Your best best is to find a way to use as many 200SX parts as possible. Either find a way to adapt the 200SX throttle body to the VQ intake manifold or find another cable operated throttle body that'll work with the VQ manifold.

Last edited by i8acobra; 05-28-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:16 PM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jpo

The other solutions such as HKS FCON VPRO would put you even further behind considering they do not control intake/exhaust cam timing. I think what Cobra said may be wise, try and have the stock computer from your car run it and use a cable throttle.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:55 AM
jpo

Looks like I'll have to ditch the cruise-control idea for now to save complications & go with the Haltech as it seems to do everything else. I can always source another Z ECU & larger motorised throttlebody after the engine's in & running properly.

Thanks for the help folks, you've been great at clearing that up!