Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Getting the best of both: Uprev + Piggyback!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 11:43 PM
nightcrawler_8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting the best of both: Uprev + Piggyback!!!!

Hi guys.

well. to make the long story short. i have learned something through out the search i have done.

IF U HAVE THE BEST EMS INT HE WORLD AND THE TUNER IS NOT CAPABLE = BIG FAIL.

i live in the other part of the world. ( Dubai ) and currently am almost done with my project and need to decide on the tune i should go for.

Here are my options:

1) UNICHIP
2) Uprev
3) Haltech

UNICHIP :

Pros:
  • i already have it ( no need to pay extra cash )
  • The tuner i really do trust. as i have been working with him for the past 2 yrs on my APS ST. and my buddy tuned APS TT 480whp ( stock internals ) and still running perfectly fine ( nock on wood ).
  • can do the map switching through a button which i already have done with my last setup. ( one for meth injection and high boost. and the other for low boost. )
Cons:
  • I wont be able to raise the rev limiter ( i have installed C2 cams and want to raise the limiter to 7500RPM )
UPREV:

Pros:
  • I already have it with my GTM turn-key kit. ( no need to pay extra cash )
  • can have access to all the tables unlike the unichip.
Cons:
  • The tuner in the UAE are still fairly new to this platform and mainly done N/A cars. and never dealt with boosted Z's/G's. i am not saying they are bad. but i don't want my Z to be the first boosted Z to be worked at.
  • The maf will max out and need to add an extra 250+$ for a PMAX maf.
  • i wont be able to do map switching as the my ECU is Gen1 where u can have only one map although i have cruise control.
  • SAM will provide a tune. but i still believe that with the shitty HOT ( EXTREMELY HOT ) weather we have in here, the tune should be close to perfect in order to be safe. and i am planning to have the methanol injection added.
Haltech:

Pros:
  • Standalone.
  • Very fine/accurate tuning.
  • better results.
Cons:
  • It will cost me around 2700$ to get it installed and tuned. ( which is way out of my budget at the moment and wont be able to afford it. )
  • with all do respect to all the tuners in the UAE. i still dont feel comfortable getting my car tuned with haltech in the UAE. unless Hal@IP will have anice vacation in here and tunes my car .
i was discussing the issue with one of my friends and came with an idea of utilizing the resources that i have currently . since the Uprev tune is reflashing the ECU. and the piggy back is used to correct the ecu parameters. then why not use both.

UPREV + UNICHIP

i will get all the benefits of the uprev and add to it the benefit of the good tuner of the unichip. and we can think of it in this way... the Stock ECU is a very nice ECU and already tuned for a a boosted Z. and the piggy back is just used to do some minimal corrections.

here is the plan:

1) get the PMAX map sensor.
2) get a conservative tune from SAM with a the rev limiter set to 7500 RPM ( and this will be my daily drive tune, without methanol and very safe . and i will run it on around 8 psi )
3) add the unichip and tune it for a power tune with Methanol. and will utilize the map switching so that i can run either the base tune from sam or the Unichip tune

What do you guys think ?!!!!???!!!!

i have read alot of threads about ppl saying that uprev doesn't have some options where some of the piggybacks already have. so i was thinking why not combining both and get a proper result..

take it easy on me. its just a thought came into my mind and thought its worth sharing..

what do you guys think ??!! would it work ?!!? any issues i might face ??!!!

Experts. your input is highly appreciated.

Note: the pros and cons are based on my situation and how i see things in my situation.

Last edited by nightcrawler_8; 06-28-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:10 AM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

suscribed, im in for some answers too
Old 06-29-2010, 01:04 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

You can have the Haltech installed and tuned for ~$2000 if you buy it used and tune it in Bahrain. (I got mine for $1200 from a friend)
Old 06-29-2010, 01:06 AM
nightcrawler_8

Originally Posted by midz350
You can have the Haltech installed and tuned for ~$2000 if you buy it used and tune it in Bahrain. (I got mine for $1200 from a friend)
currently i dont have any freind who is welling to give me haltech for 1200$
Old 06-29-2010, 01:44 AM
wannabuy350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

contact Mas Tuning in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia they are Haltech dealer and have a mainline dyno +966 555-366161
Old 06-29-2010, 02:05 AM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

1200 on a haltech, thats an awesome deal!!!
Old 06-29-2010, 02:25 AM
midz350

Originally Posted by nightcrawler_8
currently i dont have any freind who is welling to give me haltech for 1200$
I have seen them go for ~$1600 and add $300-400 for a tune

(For me between the UpRev and UNICHIP, I would go with UpRev)
Old 06-29-2010, 05:38 AM
nightcrawler_8

Originally Posted by midz350
I have seen them go for ~$1600 and add $300-400 for a tune

(For me between the UpRev and UNICHIP, I would go with UpRev)
but my idea is to go for BOTH.

what do you guys think ??!!!!
Old 06-29-2010, 05:40 AM
nightcrawler_8

Originally Posted by wannabuy350z
contact Mas Tuning in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia they are Haltech dealer and have a mainline dyno +966 555-366161
thank you very much for your input.

we have alot of tuners in here who can tune haltech. but not many worked on the Z. on the other hand, i wont take the car to KSA to tune it its a long way for me.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:36 AM
athenG

Quick is answer is NO. If it's Uprev + Utec then maybe yes because Utec is like a standalone at boost. This combo will let you have Uprev control your lower boost setting and let Utec control the higher boost. Utec will also give you the knock control on the higher rpm that Uprev lack and Utec will give you the fuel base overboost cutoff in case you overboost. Uprev + Unichip is useless because Unichip is a piggyback that only scale what the ECU gives you. If you will use the Unichip then you might as well let the ECU control everything. Utec on the other hand actually has full control of the ignition and the fuel using speed density.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:22 AM
nightcrawler_8

Originally Posted by athenG
Quick is answer is NO. If it's Uprev + Utec then maybe yes because Utec is like a standalone at boost. This combo will let you have Uprev control your lower boost setting and let Utec control the higher boost. Utec will also give you the knock control on the higher rpm that Uprev lack and Utec will give you the fuel base overboost cutoff in case you overboost. Uprev + Unichip is useless because Unichip is a piggyback that only scale what the ECU gives you. If you will use the Unichip then you might as well let the ECU control everything. Utec on the other hand actually has full control of the ignition and the fuel using speed density.
great.. the idea behind this thread to know if its possible or NO. i totally understand that the unichip is not the best option when it comes to tunning.. but the problem is: we dont have UTEC in dubai at all. and we are limited to unichip and uprev recently only came into the game in here.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:33 AM
norris_83

the guys at tensai seem to have dealt with plenty of FI evo's, subarus and nissan...

I'm an Uprev Pro tuner here in Kuwait and dealt with several FI vehicles. My 2nd tune with Uprev was a turbo'd 350z.. The program itself is very user friendly, and if you have a clue with what your doing, then you can get the tune dialed in perfect!

Using a piggyback and an Uprev tune in the long run might not work out too great. I should be getting Unichip as well over here, and there logic is simply adding or subtracting fuel/timing in certain load points across the RPM..

The uprev tune uses all the factory "safety settings" and will adjust fueling and timing based on IATs, ECTs and density of air (MAF compensaton). Imagine getting a perfect tune with Uprev and then the Unichip tuner alters it for that moment of time. Come winter, the Uprev tune will adjust according to weather but the Unichip will still add or deduct the same amount of fueling the tuner commanded, so in the end it won't work out to being a "safe" tune...

If you use the Uprev to get your limits out of the way, speed limiter, increased rev limiter and remove the throttle body lag, then I guess that'd be the best way to go... Rely soley on one management unit for your timing and fueling, no way two!

Last edited by norris_83; 07-04-2010 at 05:43 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:40 AM
nightcrawler_8

Originally Posted by norris_83
the guys at tensai seem to have dealt with plenty of FI evo's, subarus and nissan...

I'm an Uprev Pro tuner here in Kuwait and dealt with several FI vehicles. My 2nd tune with Uprev was a turbo'd 350z.. The program itself is very user friendly, and if you have a clue with what your doing, then you can get the tune dialed in perfect!

Using a piggyback and an Uprev tune in the long run might not work out too great. I should be getting Unichip as well over here, and there logic is simply adding or subtracting fuel/timing in certain load points across the RPM..

The uprev tune uses all the factory "safety settings" and will adjust fueling and timing based on IATs, ECTs and density of air (MAF compensaton). Imagine getting a perfect tune with Uprev and then the Unichip tuner alters it for that moment of time. Come winter, the Uprev tune will adjust according to weather but the Unichip will still add or deduct the same amount of fueling the tuner commanded, so in the end it won't work out to being a "safe" tune...

If you use the Uprev to get your limits out of the way, speed limiter, increased rev limiter and remove the throttle body lag, then I guess that'd be the best way to go... Rely soley on one management unit for your timing and fueling, no way two!
thanks for the reply norriss.

actually fadi and basel are my good friends before even starting the garage. and they do have great knowldge and fadi is one of the best EVO tuners in the UAE. i have no doubt in thier knowldge and capabilities. its just that if i tune my car thier it will be thier 1st FI 350z... i dont really like to be the 1st ... it doesnt mean i dont trust them... i just dont know how to explain.

i am leaning towards the idea of saving up and going with the haltech. but lets see. !!

btw, i do tune my car whenever the weather changes ( Summer / Winter ) when i had the unichip installed.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:53 AM
BonesZ33

I wouldn't run more than low 400's on stock internals.. Save your money for forged pistons and rods first
Old 07-04-2010, 10:58 AM
nightcrawler_8

i am cooking something dont worry ....

Originally Posted by BonesZ33
I wouldn't run more than low 400's on stock internals.. Save your money for forged pistons and rods first
Old 07-04-2010, 05:33 PM
midz350

My advice for you, save up for forged rods and pistons and get Haltech. It would be more fun and safer.

GL anyways bro.