Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Wanted: UpRev Tuning DIY - Tuning 101?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 04:50 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djamps
MAF tuning is 1-dimensional. There's no RPM, BFS or 'data byte' to worry about... just voltage vs afr/target. So simple it's almost a requirement for street tuning!
Just so that I'm clear, this is the screen that we're talking about tuning when we're talking about tuning the MAF.

I would set my fuel compensation table so that all cells are 100, clear saved data from RAM (so that I'm running as close as possible to the tune), and then log.

I would log MAF voltage, target afr, & actual afr - compare those, and make the changes to the dataword column for the voltages that aren't hitting the target afr. Run some logs again and compare until it is getting close to the correct AFR for all MAF voltages.
Attached Thumbnails Wanted: UpRev Tuning DIY - Tuning 101?-maf1.jpg  
Old 04-18-2011, 04:59 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Even though the ECU will let you enter more than 14.7 it won't actually target higher than 14.7. For NA, you want 14.7 for idle and cruising and 12.5-13.0 for WOT.
So something similar to this screen except bring the lower values up to 12.5?
Attached Thumbnails Wanted: UpRev Tuning DIY - Tuning 101?-afrtarget.jpg  
Old 04-18-2011, 05:03 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

You should really be on a dyno to mess with timing... more timing doesn't always mean more power... putting timing just before knock doesn't always mean max power... it's trial and error. Best thing you can do for now is get your A/F's corrected, you will see some gains from that and it's much safer. Once you get on a dyno you can worry about max power.
Ok, I just didn't know if the stock tune was fairly conservative and it would be safe to just bump the timing across the whole table by 1 or 2 points just to squeeze a little more out of it until I do the dyno tuning. It sounds like I don't need to touch the Ignition timing table at all until I'm on the dyno.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:30 PM
ImportPartsPro
Vendor - Former Vendor

You can get your A/F in the right ballpark on the way to the dyno IMO. Final A/F adjustments and timing you want to do when you get there. Just important to do A/F first because the ratio will play a role in what the optimum advance is going to be.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:45 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you're on the right track.. Keep it up!

try to learn tuning in general, cuz whatever you get on Osiris, will be different on others. they might use different values and different multipliers. i got 3 of the books suggested earlier, they're good reads and gives you general idea on engine operation before going into tuning details, which broaden your knowledge on how things works together and what affects what.

i'm subbing to this thread. rich info.

thanks Sparkle
Old 04-19-2011, 07:35 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop
Just so that I'm clear, this is the screen that we're talking about tuning when we're talking about tuning the MAF.

I would set my fuel compensation table so that all cells are 100, clear saved data from RAM (so that I'm running as close as possible to the tune), and then log.

I would log MAF voltage, target afr, & actual afr - compare those, and make the changes to the dataword column for the voltages that aren't hitting the target afr. Run some logs again and compare until it is getting close to the correct AFR for all MAF voltages.
Yep pretty much.

And the stock target of 11.8 is way conservative for N/A, I'd bump it to 12.5 or 13.0 minimum and you should see some gains just from doing that.... but be sure to dial them in on the MAF as well --- they tune it so rich from the factory because it tends to end up running lean.... I've seem stock tunes hitting in the 14's at WOT LOL.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:28 AM
Vash350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So when you get your ecu flashed for larger injectors, is whats being changed the k value?
Old 04-19-2011, 11:38 AM
djamps

Originally Posted by Vash350Z
So when you get your ecu flashed for larger injectors, is whats being changed the k value?
Pretty much everything when you swap injectors...

*K
*Injector Latency
*Injector Minimum
*Basically the whole tune
Old 04-19-2011, 12:41 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Wow! It's actually starting to come together in my brain now.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:24 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Ok, tonight I flashed my ECU for the first time. For testing and initial tuning, I made the following changes:

MAP 1
------
Pretty much left at the stock settings

MAP 2
------
Changed all fuel compensation to 100
Changed Target AFR to djamps suggestion of 12.5-13.5 at WOT
Added 1 to ignition table

NOTE: My screenshots for Map 2 are attached.

The one thing that I noticed is that Cipher doesn't have a field for "Target AFR", so I couldn't log this to easily compare it to "Actual AFR".

When tuning the MAF (step 1), do most folks just set one of their Osiris Maps to have AFR Target as 14.7 in every cell and Fuel Compensation as 100 in every cell for the purpose of tuning the MAF, or do they reference and look up what the target AFR should be based on the Base Fuel Schedule and RPM for each log entry that is recorded?
Attached Thumbnails Wanted: UpRev Tuning DIY - Tuning 101?-screenhunter_03-apr.-23-23.16.jpg   Wanted: UpRev Tuning DIY - Tuning 101?-screenhunter_04-apr.-23-23.16.jpg   Wanted: UpRev Tuning DIY - Tuning 101?-screenhunter_05-apr.-23-23.17.jpg  
Old 04-26-2011, 08:07 AM
djamps

Ok, tonight I flashed my ECU for the first time. For testing and initial tuning, I made the following changes:

MAP 1
------
Pretty much left at the stock settings

MAP 2
------
Changed all fuel compensation to 100
Changed Target AFR to djamps suggestion of 12.5-13.5 at WOT
Added 1 to ignition table

NOTE: My screenshots for Map 2 are attached.

The one thing that I noticed is that Cipher doesn't have a field for "Target AFR", so I couldn't log this to easily compare it to "Actual AFR".

When tuning the MAF (step 1), do most folks just set one of their Osiris Maps to have AFR Target as 14.7 in every cell and Fuel Compensation as 100 in every cell for the purpose of tuning the MAF, or do they reference and look up what the target AFR should be based on the Base Fuel Schedule and RPM for each log entry that is recorded?
It's kind of hard to tune to the target table... but for low-medium load logs you can go off the 'correction'. For example if it's adding 5% (avg. correction 105 or 1.05 on the tool) at 1.5 volts then add 5% to that value on the MAF table (multiply by 1.05). I designed my tool to automatically average the corrections for each voltage value. This works great for fine tuning closed loop...

For open loop (WOT) you have to go off the A/F instead of corrections (because correction will always be 100) and there's a little more guesswork as to what multiplier to use on each MAF voltage. I've found that 1% change in MAF roughly equals 0.1 A/F change... but it might be different with your stock setup.

I've also found that the ECU doesn't always target what you think it should anyways...so going off corrections and actual A/F's might be the best way to go.

Alternatively you can filter using my log tool based on fuel schedule and RPM... but it might make it easier if you set the target columns the same so it's not RPM dependant. I basically just set everything except the 1st column to 11.8 then scaled the horizontal axis so it only targets 11.8 under higher loads (nearing boost, ect).

Last edited by djamps; 04-26-2011 at 08:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
350Z_Al (08-05-2015)
Old 07-09-2011, 02:55 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

http://forums.evans-tuning.com/viewforum.php?f=3

One of the best tuning forums I found out there.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:10 AM
djamps

Originally Posted by midz350
http://forums.evans-tuning.com/viewforum.php?f=3

One of the best tuning forums I found out there.
Kind of a dead, don't you think? Very little activity and many unanswered posts.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:32 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

UPDATE: The car has been down for major interior work (rollcage, audio, new interior) so I haven't been as active lately with tuning info.

I will be going to a dyno day in 2 weeks and I will be getting 3 different pulls each using a different map. I plan to use stock map for the initial pull, my map with modified fuel targets/timing posted earlier, and I hope to log enough in the next few weeks and use djamp's log tool to make some additional changes for a 3rd map. I will post the dyno results here along with screenshots of the settings used for each pull.

Additionally, I am looking at one of 3 shops to do my dyno tuning before I go to VIR in September. I will be having them tune with my Osiris cable and will be asking for copies of the ROM files so that I can post those dyno sheets along with the specific Osiris settings. That should give us 4 different sets of dyno sheets and settings to compare and discuss.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:03 AM
djamps

UPDATE: The car has been down for major interior work (rollcage, audio, new interior) so I haven't been as active lately with tuning info.

I will be going to a dyno day in 2 weeks and I will be getting 3 different pulls each using a different map. I plan to use stock map for the initial pull, my map with modified fuel targets/timing posted earlier, and I hope to log enough in the next few weeks and use djamp's log tool to make some additional changes for a 3rd map. I will post the dyno results here along with screenshots of the settings used for each pull.

Additionally, I am looking at one of 3 shops to do my dyno tuning before I go to VIR in September. I will be having them tune with my Osiris cable and will be asking for copies of the ROM files so that I can post those dyno sheets along with the specific Osiris settings. That should give us 4 different sets of dyno sheets and settings to compare and discuss.
The tuner might not take kindly to you posting their maps online Just a warning, you had better ask them first.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:25 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

The tuner might not take kindly to you posting their maps online Just a warning, you had better ask them first.
That is one of my requirements for paying them to dyno tune my car. And they will be tuning using my existing map as a base and will be using my tuner cable and Osiris Tuner license. If they don't want them posted, they aren't getting my business.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Neal516

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hai guys!

I have been trying to follow along as best as I can with on my stock car. Please tell me if if I have everything backwards.

1) as suggested I started by bumping up the Target AFR's as so (albeit more conservative then suggested). I am N/A and do not have aftermarket injectors or anything fancy like that

From what is being explained in this thread, I assume that the X axis "Base fuel schedule" is a measurement of engine load derived from the many factors listed in the uprev manual, especially MAF input.

You input your dream AFRs for each RPM:BFS block. You then run data logs to see if your car is hitting those AFR's. If not, you fine tune it with the "Fuel Compensation table"

2) Well I started the data logs, specifically just a WOT 0-60 run, and found my car to be a whole digit too lean at every RPM on my new target map.

I ran to the fuel compensation table (which I previously reset to 100 as suggested) to add a few digits of fuel to the RPM:BFS blocks that I recored as too lean on my data logs. But when I got to the fuel comp table, I see the Y axis is replaced with "Data bytes" Do I have to guess which blocks to add fuel to? flash, log and revise? (I guess you wouldnt have to flash each time if I knew how to use RTT!)

now am I heading in the right direction, or am I completely off the hook? If I am completely hopeless, just say so and I will go read some books haha

Last edited by Neal516; 08-06-2011 at 05:27 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:31 AM
djamps

In your 4800 row smooth things out a bit. The AFR should be decreasing down and to the right, not increasing like it does at 7.08ms.

If you use Cipher to do your fuel tables it should show the BFS you're used to seeing, you can use the tracer to show AF's too.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:34 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

You have the right idea, and that is the way that I started out tuning. However, the more that I've gotten into it, the more that I've heard that tuning the MAF voltages first to get things "calibrated" is the first step. This is because it is the only thing that you can do to affect both open and closed loop since fuel compensation changes won't.

To tune/calibrate the MAF voltage table, I just set one of my map selections to have stoich for every AFR target cell. I also set the fuel compensation to be 100 in every cell. Then, you can log data with cipher and with djamps' tool, you can look at fuel compensation and your AFR to determine where you need to make adjustments to the MAF voltages. Once I have that calibrated, I then move on to the AFR & Fuel comp tuning.

Again, I'm a noob at this, so some of the others with more experience may have some additional pointers, but that is my 10000ft view of tuning with Osiris on stock engine/injectors without a dyno. Once you're dyno tuning and changing IGN timing there may be some back and forth as an IGN timing change may affect what changes are needed to maintain your target AFR's.

The thing that I'm starting to learn is that with Osiris or piggyback, the ECU is still making it's own decisions about what the true target AFR is (based on environmental factors, etc), so your settings in the AFR table in a real world situation aren't the "cold hard target". It's like you're trying to hit a moving target with a bow and arrow, through the mist, on a day with gusty winds versus an exact science.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:04 AM
djamps

Fuel table does affect closed and open loop. But getting the MAF closer to reality before starting definitely makes things smoother in the end -- small stuff like decel, startup, ect just work better with the MAF tuned correctly.

Quick Reply: Wanted: UpRev Tuning DIY - Tuning 101?