Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Motor Stumble "loop"

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 07:57 AM
jumbosrule

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Motor Stumble "loop"

Got an interesting issue.

Built auto transmission (internals, cooler ,TC & shift kit), intake, plenum spacer & exhaust.

Initially tuned with Uprev (full license) with the bolt on mods. For about three weeks the car was obviously more peppy and fun but then what seems to be a computer glitch developed.

When I hit ~3650 on the tach, the needle "jumps" to ~4500. The rpms increase extremely rapidly. And yes, I hear the motor rev up. But then when it hits 4500, it seems to get caught in a loop where the rpms cycle between 4100 and 4500, quickly - maybe three times per second. The car actually feels that it is trying to accelerate on each rise of the tach and then it coasts during the fall of the tach. Again - quite quickly. I can maintain this "loop" by not changing throttle position. As soon as I let off the gas or push harder on the pedal, it moves past this range.

It's not possible for me to sneak up on 3650. I could be going 35mph and the tach slowly rises to 3650 and then the car accelerates (no throttle position change) to 4500 and does the Loop thing. If I'm accelerating quickly from a dig, I can "pass through" the loop area without experiencing the quirk. The motor will move through the rpm band without changing the rate of acceleration.

A video would be lovely but need a passenger to tape it so I can manipulate the motor.

In an effort to figure out what the hell is going on, I've swapped out the throttle body. When that didn't work, I flashed the ECU back to stock. Now the original tune is gone (feels like it did before the tune) but I STILL have this gremlin in the system! It has been more than a year and I'm sort stuck now with swapping out the ECU unless I get some better ideas. I might have a donor ECU that I can borrow to try out. Might at least help me rule out one more item.

Anybody experienced this? I have searched in every forum that runs a VQ35DE - no luck.

Last edited by jumbosrule; 04-26-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:02 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Probably a lean spot in the tune, or a vaccuum leak.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:43 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 411 Likes on 235 Posts

TPS?

try the TPS relearn procedure yet?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:58 AM
jumbosrule

No I hadn't tried the TPS - will do the pedal dance. Just for kicks I copied it here along with two other learning procedures.

Accelerator Pedal Release Position Learning

Operation Procedure
1. Make sure that the accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch ?ON? and wait at least 2 seconds.
3. Turn ignition switch ?OFF? wait at least 10 seconds.
4. Turn ignition switch ?ON? and wait at least 2 seconds.
5. Turn ignition switch ?OFF? wait at least 10 seconds.

Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning

Operation Procedures
1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch is ?ON?.
3. Turn ignition switch is ?OFF? wait at least 10 seconds.
Make sure that the throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

Idle Air Volume Learning (Throttle Position Learning)
It is better to count the time accurately with a clock.

Operation Procedures
1. Perform Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning.
2. Perform Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning.
3. DRIVE YOUR VEHICLE FOR AT LEAST 5 MINUTES FOR PROPER OPERATING TEMPS
4. Turn ignition switch "OFF" and wait at least 10 seconds.
5. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch "ON" and wait 3 seconds.
6. Repeat the following (steps 7a, 7b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
7a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD)
7b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the Check Engine Light (CEL) stops blinking and turned ON.
9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the CEL is ON.
10. Start engine and let it idle. (START YOUR VEHICLE WITHIN THE 3 SECONDS OF STEP 9).
11. Wait 20 seconds.
12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure the idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:09 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 411 Likes on 235 Posts

yep thing to keep in mind on the Z is that not only do we have a TPS for the ecu, but the butterfly iteself is run off a motor since its fly by wire.. that motor goes bad, has brushes and contacts just like any motor.. remove, open up, electrical parts cleaner maybe?

Sounds like the machine takes over independant of the ECU.. id put money on it being the throttle butterfly motor.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:21 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

If you changed the throttle body and took off the flash from the ECU and both failed to make a difference, then I guess you need to look elsewhere - the only thing else you changed is the transmission... Perhaps the TC is locking/unlocking - you might try adjusting the calculated load table or torque management in Osiris...

Last edited by rcdash; 04-26-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:59 AM
jumbosrule

Originally Posted by bmccann101
yep thing to keep in mind on the Z is that not only do we have a TPS for the ecu, but the butterfly iteself is run off a motor since its fly by wire.. that motor goes bad, has brushes and contacts just like any motor.. remove, open up, electrical parts cleaner maybe?

Sounds like the machine takes over independant of the ECU.. id put money on it being the throttle butterfly motor.
Thanks for the input - I've been checking voltage outputs from the position sensors and to the throttle body - all within normal. Of couse, this is in nuetral and with an un-loaded motor. I wasn't able to get the glitch to reproduce.

Originally Posted by rcdash
If you changed the throttle body and took off the flash from the ECU and both failed to make a difference, then I guess you need to look elsewhere - the only thing else you changed is the transmission... Perhaps the TC is locking/unlocking - you might try adjusting the calculated load table or torque management in Osiris...
Before my original Osiris tune this problem did not exist. After the tune it reared it's head and hasn't gone away - even after a reflash. My first thought is that the re-flash did not take. How can I confirm a sucessful re-flash back to stock?

I had been playing with the torque management settings before I reflashed, but assumed that all would be back to OEM levels at this point. haven't tried to modify the tables further until I know the ECU is functioning properly. Will try to swap out with a donor ECU to see if that takes care of it.

If not, then the transmission is the only thing left to really look at. A shift kit and new internals were installed and maybe there is a problem with that? I have been considering a valve body upgrade - as a last ditch attempt to fix this issue, does that make any sense whatsoever?
Old 04-30-2011, 05:59 AM
djamps

You can try switching maps with your cruise control...won't work if you're on a stock ROM.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:14 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like a tranny slip issue to me. When it revs fast in that range, does it almost sound like its free revving?
Old 05-02-2011, 08:01 PM
jumbosrule

Yeah, I guess that's not totally out of the question but it's just presenting in a strange way.

The transmission is by far the weak link. With the upgrades I have made to the 5AT I put the maximum power around 450 but I'm sure I'm stealing life from it with anything consistently over 400whp, which is about where I am at 12psi.

Can you think of a way I could test the, "slip theory"? What about any of the Osiris datalogging?
Old 05-02-2011, 08:31 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Transmission fluid levels are ok?
Old 05-02-2011, 11:29 PM
djamps

Originally Posted by jumbosrule
Yeah, I guess that's not totally out of the question but it's just presenting in a strange way.

The transmission is by far the weak link. With the upgrades I have made to the 5AT I put the maximum power around 450 but I'm sure I'm stealing life from it with anything consistently over 400whp, which is about where I am at 12psi.

Can you think of a way I could test the, "slip theory"? What about any of the Osiris datalogging?
Log the calculated load... should be 100% anywhere in boost.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:10 PM
jumbosrule

Today I swapped in a G35 ECU to see if I still had the stumble - I did not. Seems like it is my original ECU - I remember getting it wet once....

Might have to check the junkyards for a properly coded 04 ECU.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:53 PM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great story. was really hoping this wasn't trans related.

whom built yours? at what cost if you don't mind?

need comps. props on trial and error find.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:28 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how did you just swap in another ECU? Are you using a Haltech to bypass the NATs?

Originally Posted by jumbosrule
Today I swapped in a G35 ECU to see if I still had the stumble - I did not. Seems like it is my original ECU - I remember getting it wet once....

Might have to check the junkyards for a properly coded 04 ECU.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:45 AM
djamps

Originally Posted by str8dum1
how did you just swap in another ECU? Are you using a Haltech to bypass the NATs?
If it was uprev tuned the NATS could have been disabled. Pro license lets you toggle NATS.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:04 AM
str8dum1

really? i really have to send my ECU back to forged to get the rest of my reflash done. He just did the idle speed adjust. need to get NATS off, readiness not supported, speed limiter removed, TB fix.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:10 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

wow, i didn't know a flash could do that. Maybe i can get another ecu to see if any of my issues will be solved from a new ecu. When i talked to the dealership about this it was goign to cost a lot to have another used ecu flashed to match my car and security. Too much to just "test".
Old 05-13-2011, 09:57 AM
str8dum1

with your haltech, you can swap in any ECU already as the NATs is already bypassed.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:43 PM
jumbosrule

Yup, no problems just swapping in a new one. The donor ECU came from an 06 G35 so it didn't run everything on the dash, but ignition was plug & play. And yes, I am running a Haltech 350Z PnP. I did not mention that in my original post because I had this motor stumble loop issue both before and after the Haltech was installed. I'm relatively confident the ECU is the problem and I have been holding off buying a new one just because of the expense. Actually been looking at junkyards but it is really hit or miss.

@lgear - are you asking about who built the auto trans or the motor?

The 5AT was built by a local shop here in Houston. We used Level 10 internals, Transgo Shift kit, B&W cooler & a modified for higher stall torque converter. The TC was sent out locally for mods.

Quick Reply: Motor Stumble "loop"