VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

What Oil are you running in your HR?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Three Fifty Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Resolute
You lose points for quoting from it.
Well, I apologize for trying to learn, there wasn't really an abundance of info on this subject. If you can give me a better website, please do. Dear God, don't take my points away.

That is correct, but you originally posted that there was NOTHING synthetic in a Synthetic Blend, when the sites you used as source information said otherwise?
http://www.informationsavvy.com/moto...-oil-types.cfm :

"Synthetic blend motor oils are an attempt to get the best of both types of motor oils; the superior properties of full synthetic motor oil, and the lower price of conventional motor oil. And the performance characteristics are about where you would expect to find them, right between the full synthetic oil and the conventional motor oil. Most synthetic blend motor oils are not true synthetic oil, as they do not have a PAO base. Synthetic blend motor oils typically include a premium package of anti-wear agents and additives."

How does that go against what I've been saying? I've been taught if its not POA based then its not synthetic. That's all I've said my WHOLE argument, I don't know where you see me contradicting my self.

Synthetic engine oil is any any engine oil using one or more of these synthetic oils as it's base stock: G3 hydroisomerized oil, PAO, Alkylated Napthalene, any number of various esters, silicon, PAG, G3 slack-wax base feedstock, and any other oil which is not conventional crude. A Synthetic Blend may use any one or more of those synthetic base oils in combination with conventional base stock oil.
I appreciate this information.

I guess I failed to find the part of either site which had a source for such fact.
Its under synthetic blend oil.

The fact is, it is a complete fallacy for anyone to hail one group of oils as better or worse than another simply because of how it's classified. Oil isn't that simple. I could show you UOA with conventional fill that looked a whole better than a UOA from the same engine with some expensive synthetic fill. And the reverse is also true. Synthetic Blends have synthetic base oil in them, blended with conventional base stock. This actually works out best for using PAO synthetics, since they have such poor solvency and the conventional oil works as a carrier oil. Other blends use a G3/G2 blend, Ester/G2 blend, etc... No one formula of base oil is a "magic bullet" for best performance. Be honest with your needs, get a UOA to check trends, and don't fall for broad statements about one brand or type of oil being superior or garbage compared to others.
Based on the information I read, really they made synthetic blend look like crap in my eyes. Can you give me a link to UOA? I've never heard of it.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:53 PM
IsDatIt

@Three Fifty Z

I am not nor did i ever try to tell YOU what kind of oil you have on your car.

You Said CONVENTIONAL!

You Pointed out your MISTAKE!

So Me thinking you were serious about that made that remark towards YOU,
Old 04-20-2009, 02:37 AM
illjim69

Received 545 Likes on 443 Posts

i did the first two oil changes with whatever the dealer put in, then moved onto Royal Purple. from what i am seeing, RP isn't all it's cracked up to be. that being said:

the oil that best meets/exceeds protective standards, doesn't cost a ton of money and can be found just about anywhere for a daily driven (sometimes hard) HR Z would be?
Old 04-20-2009, 04:43 AM
Three Fifty Z

Originally Posted by illjim69
i did the first two oil changes with whatever the dealer put in, then moved onto Royal Purple. from what i am seeing, RP isn't all it's cracked up to be. that being said:

the oil that best meets/exceeds protective standards, doesn't cost a ton of money and can be found just about anywhere for a daily driven (sometimes hard) HR Z would be?
Yeah, I heard quite a few members say that RP is not that great for our engines. After my warranty on my Z ran out I started doing all the maintenance stuff myself, I didn't like the dealership touching my car at all but just in case something happens with it, I didn't want them to say "well, its because you didn't give it the proper maintenance at our dealership...blah..blah..blah." Anyway, I tried Castrol Syntec 5w30 and I was/am really happy with it. A lot people say you can't feel the difference in the way your engine works switching from the stock oil to fully synthetic, but I don't really agree with them. My car runs much smoother, and its less slugish than it was when I used the oil that they give you at the dealer's. I mean back when I used the dealer's oil I didn't think the car was sluggish because I had nothing to compare it, but yeah never going back to the dealer, unless its a recall job or something.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:45 AM
Three Fifty Z

Originally Posted by IsDatIt
@Three Fifty Z

I am not nor did i ever try to tell YOU what kind of oil you have on your car.

You Said CONVENTIONAL!

You Pointed out your MISTAKE!

So Me thinking you were serious about that made that remark towards YOU,
Its all gucci...
Old 04-20-2009, 09:34 AM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Three Fifty Z
Well, I apologize for trying to learn, there wasn't really an abundance of info on this subject. If you can give me a better website, please do. Dear God, don't take my points away.
Trying to learn? You didn't quote those sites and ask for help trying to understand it, or if anyone thought it was reliable information or even correct, you regurgitated what you read as though you actually understood what you were copy-pasting. And if you're going to espouse someone else's information, you might at least consider picking good sources.

http://www.informationsavvy.com/moto...-oil-types.cfm :

"Synthetic blend motor oils are an attempt to get the best of both types of motor oils; the superior properties of full synthetic motor oil, and the lower price of conventional motor oil. And the performance characteristics are about where you would expect to find them, right between the full synthetic oil and the conventional motor oil. Most synthetic blend motor oils are not true synthetic oil , as they do not have a PAO base. Synthetic blend motor oils typically include a premium package of anti-wear agents and additives."

How does that go against what I've been saying?
No where does this paragraph state that a synthetic blend engine oil is just conventional oil with a bunch of additives. It states that blends include a premium package of additives, which some do. It also states that it is not a true synthetic, which is obvious since it is a BLEND. The part I put in bold is the only thing that, as it is written, isn't really correct since many blends use a PAO base. Some do not. Either way, a Synthetic Blend is a BLEND of conventional and synthetic base oils (which can be any number of synthetic base oils such as those I have already listed for you). Which means Synthetic Blend engine oil has a synthetic oil as part of their blend. This fact seems to have escaped you, and lies in contrast to what you have stated. Since I'd rather not quote all your statements... again, maybe you could double check my last post, and read what I said in response to your claims that Synthetic Blends are nothing more than conventional oil with additives, and don't have anything synthetic in them, etc...

I've been taught if its not POA based then its not synthetic. That's all I've said my WHOLE argument
That's what you appear to be arguing NOW, but my response is to your original claims that Synthetic Blend engine oils are, to quote you again, "Nothing more than conventional oils with a bunch of additives. There is nothing synthetic about a Synthetic Blend."

I don't know where you see me contradicting my self.
That is the issue here.

I appreciate this information.
You're welcome.

Its under synthetic blend oil.
No, it's not. I was asking to see some source for printing their information as fact. Maybe some independent study to show that on the whole, Synthetic Blends really offer NO advantages over conventional oils. There's nothing there bu the author's opinion. I know if I made a blanket claim like that, I'd want to be able to show my basis for such a claim. Unless I own that website and I'm trying to sell my own product, of course.

Based on the information I read, really they made synthetic blend look like crap in my eyes. Can you give me a link to UOA? I've never heard of it.
Yes, those two sites really made all Synthetic Blends look like a waste. But you're the one who went along with it without verifying anything and then misrepresented the information as something you understood to be fact on this forum. Someone might actually have read your posts as verified information of fact that synthetic blends are really nothing more than a conventional oil with additives, decided they didn't want to be a clueless "yuppie", and ignored a good oil on sale. The horror.

UOA: Used Oil Analysis. Check it out, it's interesting stuff. There's even a whole sticky on it in the Engine/Drivetrain forum.

I think I've made the point clear enough. If you still don't see the errors in your posts that I've pointed out, that's certainly your prerogative. I'm not going to try and beat you over the head with it (maybe too late?). There is a difference between conventional oil and synthetic blend, and many synthetic blends do use a PAO base oil in their blend.They can have good results in UOA, and typically offer longer drain intervals than a conventional oil alone could accomplish, which might make them worth the money for a lot of users.

As far as a good source of information, go to http://www.lubricantsuniversity.com/index.html . Now, it used to be open to the public, but then Chevron took over Texaco and you have to register to view the articles. Assuming you don't already have a ChevronID #, that is. It's worth registering for, and it's free. There is a grip of technical and white papers to answer just about any question you have.

Will
Old 04-20-2009, 09:45 AM
IsDatIt

Its all gucci...
i like that one......

never heard that one....

But at least we can agree that n e thing from the dealer sucks *** because i used to work for cadillac (GM)so TRUST ME I KNOW!
Old 04-20-2009, 09:53 AM
NY350zG

Its all gucci...
HAHAHA
Old 04-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Three Fifty Z

Synthetic Blend engine oil has a synthetic oil as part of their blend
I realized that after your first reply, I was just trying show you why I've been saying what I've been saying, because that's what I thought. Please, Mr. Will, stop growling at me.

That's what you appear to be arguing NOW, but my response is to your original claims that Synthetic Blend engine oils are, to quote you again, "Nothing more than conventional oils with a bunch of additives. There is nothing synthetic about a Synthetic Blend."

That is the issue here.
OMFG, I realize that synthetic blend has actually some synthetic in it now. Okay..?

No, it's not. I was asking to see some source for printing their information as fact. Maybe some independent study to show that on the whole, Synthetic Blends really offer NO advantages over conventional oils. There's nothing there bu the author's opinion. I know if I made a blanket claim like that, I'd want to be able to show my basis for such a claim. Unless I own that website and I'm trying to sell my own product, of course.
...and its my bad for taking it as a fact, I apologize for that.

I'm not going to try and beat you over the head with it (maybe too late?). There is a difference between conventional oil and synthetic blend, and many synthetic blends do use a PAO base oil in their blend.
OMG, really I got that, had it for a while, I just wanted show you why I thought what I thought, now I realize that those sources are ****, and what I was saying was wrong.

As far as a good source of information, go to http://www.lubricantsuniversity.com/index.html . Now, it used to be open to the public, but then Chevron took over Texaco and you have to register to view the articles. Assuming you don't already have a ChevronID #, that is. It's worth registering for, and it's free. There is a grip of technical and white papers to answer just about any question you have.
Thanks.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Three Fifty Z

Originally Posted by IsDatIt
i like that one......

never heard that one....

But at least we can agree that n e thing from the dealer sucks *** because i used to work for cadillac (GM)so TRUST ME I KNOW!
Definitely, bro.

Yeah, I used to work at Town & Country Toyota, after seeing what goes in the shop, never in my life time would I ever want to take my car there.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:04 AM
theKoosh

Originally Posted by illjim69
i've tried looking for the german castrol and can't seem to find it anywhere around here... so to get back on topic and lighten up the thread a tad, lol, what's the next best FULLY synthetic that everyone likes using?

on a side note, i went to a nissan dealer that wanted to charge me $95 for a change w/ synthetic mobil1 and i couldn't help but laugh, considering my local sears would charge about $55 for that..
Old 04-25-2009, 09:36 AM
BenchTT

Advance auto parts has 5qt of M1 plus M1 filter for 29.99 right now. Sale started 4/23 and was told ends 4/26. Got 10btls of M1 0w-40 plus 2 filters. Good deal. UOA's to follow.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:43 PM
SuPERSak

Originally Posted by Nexx
so you put it in your tranny too?
I also put it in my DIFF and gas tank.. A lot of OCTANE boost....
Old 04-26-2009, 11:09 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

For the benefit of those who haven't heard: Some engineer decided to do his own homework on oil filters, so he went & bought one of EACH brand on the market. The winner? Purolator's PUREONE...I know, I know!, weird! But that's the conclusion he arrived at, and I have no reason to doubt it. He even went as far as to put pics of the cross sections, exposing the element, valves, etc., and the hands-down winner was the PUREONE. Needless to say, I ran over to the nearest AutoZone and, guess what?! They had them on sale! So I got me six of 'em (my wife's Pathfinder uses the same oil filter as my 'O4 Touring Coupe). AWRIGHT!!!
Old 04-26-2009, 11:32 AM
kramykram

i run slick 50 now.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:47 AM
klaze1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

german castrol 0w-30 with a k and n performance oil filter, so far so good, but i put it in yesterday so we'll c what happens... anyone else using this oil in their HR? my psi gauge is idling a little above 30, and cold starts idle way higher than the mobile i was using b4.

Last edited by klaze1; 05-07-2009 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Peak350

My idle once the engine is warm (I can tell because my transmission sounds like a diesel engine) is ~25
Old 05-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Lakeside

I currently have Purolator pureone oil filter with Mobil 1 syn 5w-30 in the car.

I would rather be running Amsoil but I ran out.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:41 AM
sasquatch308

running Castrol 0w30 with KN oil filter.
runs really good for the last two oil changes. may switch over to Amsoil next
Old 05-14-2009, 06:50 PM
blazefast

AMSOIL SSO 0w30 for me.

Change it every 5-7.5k depending on driving habits. I know they say you can keep in there for an astronomical amount of time, but I'd rather be on the safe side.

I honestly couldn't tell any sort of difference as compared to the from-the-factory oil. I do, however, also have AMSOIL gl-4 MT oil in the transmission, and gl-5 gear lube in the differential, and I could absolutely tell a difference when I made the switch; shifting is smooth as butta!

When it comes to AMSOIL, It's all gucci... rofl

Quick Reply: What Oil are you running in your HR?