Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

HR MAF housing and Aftermarket Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013 | 10:28 PM
Doc_Z

Default HR MAF housing and Aftermarket Throttle Body

Hey guys,

Does anyone know the size of the stock HR throttle bodies, and are there any upgrades available?

Secondly, what is the size (inside diameter) of the OEM MAF housings? Would placing the MAF sensor in a larger pipe cause any real havoc with the ECU, or can that be tuned out with say a piggyback?

I've noticed that the location of the actual MAF sensor varies on the popular CAI kits out there. On the Stillen the maf sits very far out on the side of the CAI pipe, while on OEM and say Injen, most of the MAF sensor sits inside the pipe. How does this affect anything if at all?

THanks

Last edited by Doc_Z; 01-25-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-25-2013 | 07:52 PM
Zmindset

Mines makes a set for the de and hr . http://www.ppi-mines.com/350z.html
I would like to add this to my mod list but for 3k it over my budget.There was a post of someone trying out a 90mm tb for a de.

The hr has dual 60mm tb. I would look at a shop to bore them out a bit.

Last edited by Zmindset; 02-09-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-26-2013 | 07:43 AM
Doc_Z

3k is D@mn steep for an extra 2mm on the TB.

I wish someone would step up with a good aftermarket intake manifold for the HR's. I mean that one renault I read about squeezed almost 400bhp out of this motor, so it can be done. Looking at the intake manifold there is no way the front two cylinders are running at maximum efficiency.
Old 01-26-2013 | 10:18 AM
Stealthily

Originally Posted by Doc_Z
3k is D@mn steep for an extra 2mm on the TB.

I wish someone would step up with a good aftermarket intake manifold for the HR's. I mean that one renault I read about squeezed almost 400bhp out of this motor, so it can be done. Looking at the intake manifold there is no way the front two cylinders are running at maximum efficiency.
Motordyne make a intake manifold for the 370z, http://www.motordyneusa.com/index.ph...mart&Itemid=13

Im not sure if they will bolt up to the vq35HR but i would be interested to know.
Old 01-26-2013 | 11:51 AM
Zmindset

Its been awhile since i read up on the motordynes intake manifold (so correct me if im wrong) but the manifold that motordyne built for the 370z is actually our hr manifold. From what i remember the bolt patterns where different and this was not a direct fit from hr to vhr.
Old 01-26-2013 | 12:13 PM
Zmindset

Are there any restrictions to the intake manifold for st1 - st3 ? Only reason i ask is because ive been on a couple jdm sites and noticed everyone retains stock intake manifold and boxes. Is this because its effiencent enough for n/a or the restrictions in the st1-st3 force them to retain them.The most ive seen was the carbonfiber boxes that the 380rs c uses installed on a 370z.
Old 01-27-2013 | 12:15 AM
Doc_Z

What is st1-st3? I imagine most people run the stock manifold as it is "okay" and as there is nothing aftermarket available.

Does the 380RS-C have ITB's inside the plenum? Cause there are no TB's or even mounting flanges on that airbox.

The Motordyne manifold is just a HR manifold modded to fit the 370z.

Old 01-27-2013 | 12:26 PM
Zmindset

What is st1-st3? I imagine most people run the stock manifold as it is "okay" and as there is nothing aftermarket available.

Does the 380RS-C have ITB's inside the plenum? Cause there are no TB's or even mounting flanges on that airbox.

you make a good point and would have to agree that itb's are being used.even when the motor is installed with intake tubes there are no tb's shown.

St would be super touring competition.im thinking there as to be some sort of limitations to that race class, otherwise im sure they could fab up an intake manifold for max performance.

I would settle for an intake spacer and pair it up with some 272 cams :-)

Take a look at this ...i think this was a vq35hr manifold custom built

Last edited by Zmindset; 01-27-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-27-2013 | 01:02 PM
XChacalX

if you look closely under the middle part of the plenum, you can see 2 linkage and what appear to be a cable actioned wheel, which I suppose the ITB are under of the plenum.

Old 02-09-2013 | 05:26 PM
redline06

This should be taged NSFW! Those pics are straight **** I want ITBs and that carbon manifold. Oh and those headers shipped to 33647
The following users liked this post:
DarkZ03 (10-02-2024)
Old 02-09-2013 | 06:22 PM
Zmindset

The whole throttle port doesn't seem worth the risk and or money. The gtr has a 63mm port and that's on a Turboed engine. The mines is like 62mm and not worth the 3k price tag for a small gain. Im sure fully built motors can benifit from it though.

I think there was a 370 I read about that did the throttle port im not sure what the gains were but I'll do some research.

Sadly looks like if someone wants one bad enough they will have to custom make it. Just for test purposes I think a spacer would be a great place to start. My hopes are pretty much up with a intake plenum ...IM pushing for a spacer!!! ...if there is any clearance for one...
Old 02-09-2013 | 08:06 PM
XChacalX

Originally Posted by Zmindset
I think there was a 370 I read about that did the throttle port im not sure what the gains were but I'll do some research.
this was me ...(Megan370z on the 3 7 0 z c o m)

the TB are a bit more than just bored 2.5mm more than stock ...
picture and more details are over there. look for Megan Journal in the gallery
I cant link because this forum doesnt allow it.

anyway gain were 7-9whp on a full bolt on setup.
back to back testing within a couple hours , the tune was already done on a different map.
Old 02-13-2013 | 11:58 AM
03Screamer

Originally Posted by XChacalX
this was me ...(Megan370z on the 3 7 0 z c o m)

the TB are a bit more than just bored 2.5mm more than stock ...
picture and more details are over there. look for Megan Journal in the gallery
I cant link because this forum doesnt allow it.

anyway gain were 7-9whp on a full bolt on setup.
back to back testing within a couple hours , the tune was already done on a different map.
I just wanted to say, I appreciate your "outside the box" approach Chacal Especially since the VQ35HR has been a bit neglected when it has come to more radical engine modifications are concerned.

I need to send you a PM sometime soon regarding the the Maxima TB you were planning to adapt to the HR manifold (if you don't mid discussing?). It's a shame your VHR had to grenade on you before being able to experiment with those monster TB's
Old 02-13-2013 | 01:20 PM
XChacalX

Originally Posted by 03Screamer

I need to send you a PM sometime soon regarding the the Maxima TB you were planning to adapt to the HR manifold (if you don't mid discussing?). It's a shame your VHR had to grenade on you before being able to experiment with those monster TB's
I only converted one side of the intake manifold to adapt those big TB.
It really suck that my engine staved of oil ! it wont happen again !

I estimate the volume of that Intake manifold to be about 7 Liters as it was about 5L ( cant remember exactly ). but im gonna need a stock VHR intake manifold to see the difference between them on the dyno.
then ofcourse those big TB will more effecient with a bigger cam setup than my OEM HR cams..
remember that project was when I had the VHR not the HR ... !
Old 02-20-2013 | 07:11 PM
johnwigs

The AM Performance engines made 400WHP with the 380RS intake manifold which is ITBs... The HR manifold has not reached a choking point, nor has the head... the best way to see if your throttle body is a restriction is with a vacuum guage, and do some pulls on the dyno, if the throttle body is restricting air flow than the vacuum will climb as RPMs increase...
As for buying a 380RS intake manifold, it takes a large check book and you need to know someone!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by johnwigs:
DarkZ03 (10-02-2024), jg021v (10-01-2024)
Old 08-26-2024 | 09:11 PM
jg021v

Red face SimplisticLLC Garage Dual Throttle Bodies Upgrades

Not Cheap after shipping & taxes eBay

I keep relearning idle with an Uprev Tune, yet service engine soon reappears after fifty to seventy miles drives. These were the temporary couplers. I sourced some on amazon and got the corrected sized ones 3.5" to 2.5" (2) and needed to get secondary air tubes. Still working on this including throttle bodies spacers...

even had to remove radiator aftermarket stillen brace and strut bar...its bigger.

Last edited by jg021v; 08-26-2024 at 09:18 PM. Reason: etc...
Old 10-01-2024 | 08:42 PM
jg021v

Stillen gen 3 long tube cold air intakes work well, but i plan on using HPX n-2 maf sensors because they are the last maf sensor you will ever need to buy. It's because you want the good stuff for the Z, plus it has more sensitivity for 10 v -+. thanks for the reference to the 380 rs manifold, but aamcompetition has an aluminum manifold that i have tabs on. They make great stuff.