Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Tire Pressure System Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 05:25 PM
MJL350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure System Light

This question must have come up before and after searching the forums for the past hour, I have not come to a solution.
When I turn on the car, the low tire pressure light comes on and stays on..I checked the pressure on all tires and I have them at 35psi. Yet, after driving around and starting it back up, the low tire pressure light still comes on and stays on.
How can I get it to go away?
Any suggestions would help.
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:33 PM
ksj

Sounds like a dealer visit to reset the transmitters is in order...
Old 01-31-2005, 06:13 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey MJL, wanted to give you a brief overview of the TPS system. This may help.

There is a sensor in each wheel that is powered by a long-life (Nissan says 5 to 7 years) battery that is motion activated by the rotation of the wheels. These sensors are integrated into the valve stem. They transmit a coded signal (coded to indicate which corner the sensor is at) to an antenna that runs up the passengers side a-pillar. In addition to the coding, the sensors transmit the tire pressure for that tire. The antenna is connected to a TPS control unit located under the passenger dash panel that is connected to the BCM (body control module). A warning tone will sound and the trip computer will switch to the TPS display when any of the tires drops to 26 PSI or below. The warning light will come on (but the tone will not sound, nor will the trip computer flip over to TPS display) if the control unit does not receive a signal from one or more of the sensors, or if the control unit itself cannot initialize properly.

Causes for illumination of the TPS warning light could be any of the following:

Removal of the sensors (like changing to aftermarket wheels).

Bad sensor or sensor battery.

Bad antenna connection

Faulty TPS control unit.

I have heard of several people simply having the transmitters "reset" by a dealer (they use a special tool to trip the motion activated switch), but you could have a faulty sensor or faulty battery. In any case, these should be covered under warranty if your car is covered.

Let us know what you find.

Good luck.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:10 PM
MJL350Z

Thanks KSJ and KC. I will keep you all informed.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:28 PM
sobceo

Mine is doing the same thing. But mine has started ever since it got really cold here in MD. I notice this past summer that my pressure was higher due to the heat and this winter it was lower.. And now that we are constantly below freezing the pressure says its low. But i checked the tires and they are fine. So i guess I will go in for a check as well.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:31 AM
kimara

It says somewhere in your owners manual that during cold periods that problem may occur and that there is a way to adjust it. This is normal,I would not be worried.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:47 PM
redlinez

kcobean,
Can you help me diagnose my TPS problem? I have mine strapped on after market wheels and this particular one has come loose twice, bounced around inside for a few miles. It has been remounted. Now it takes about ten miles to come on and seems to read fine, but on two long trips after about 70 or 80 miles the reading is replaced by - - and the tire symbol light on the dash comes on. On restart after 10 miles or so it seems to work fine again. Short trips don't seem to affect it. Curious, huh?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 02-02-2005, 03:28 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At first read, it sounds like maybe the battery in that sensor is dying. When it first comes on, it's got a decent charge, but then its' voltage drops until the antenna can't pick up a signal from it any more. When you stop the car, the switch de-activates the battery and it begins building a charge again. I would report this to your dealer. If you have a mod-friendly dealer, it shouldn't matter that you've strapped them into aftermarket wheels. Dead battery is dead battery, regardless of where it sits. If your car isn't under warranty anymore, sounds like your wallet is about to get about $230 lighter. Pretty painful, but I like the TPS system and plan on moving my sensors into my aftermarket wheels.

Can you send me some info on where you got your wrap bands, or how you made them? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2005, 05:01 PM
redlinez

Got my doubts about my Dealer. I have 4 extra sensors I bought when I got the wheels, had planned to keep the originals with the Track wheels, but new wheels arrived before sensors, couldn't wait.
The bands came with the wheels, I think HRE has a new bracket that allows you bolt the sensors through it and then the band goes through the bracket. I've been meaning to call them. That would be the way to go. Just using the bands over the sensors is not enough. I've had one come loose 3 times in probably 4 or 5 K miles. The tire shop decided to use some duct tape, just to add a little friction so they don't slip. I've heard of people using epoxy too. If I have more trouble I will use epoxy!
Bob
Old 02-02-2005, 10:35 PM
peterhong

There is a TSB on this issue I remember from a long way back about the sensor staying on after putting air in the tires. As for my car, the sensors go off once the pressure reads below 30 on any of the tires. To get it to go off, it has to read at least 33 or 34 on start of the engine (first tire pressure read) for it to go off. After that it can be as low as 30 on any given tire and the sensors will not go off. But, once it falls below 30, they go off again.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:08 AM
kimara

I had the same exact problem. Whenever I would exceed the speeds of 55mph or more while driving 30 to 40 miles, my tire pressure warning light would come on. If a cut my car off and turned it back on the light would be off, until I repeated the driving situation as stated earlier. When I tried to read the tire pressure on the computer display unit it would not register. My problem was that I put aftermarket wheels on my ZR and did not get the sensors recalibrated to my new wheels. Each sensor is calibrated for that specific Z and no other. After going to the dealer and getting the wheels sensors recalibrated to my wheels the problem was solved.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:51 PM
MJL350Z

Thanks for all the info. My tire pressure light has gone off. I had called the dealer and I asked him about having the transmitters reset and he said that since it's been colder lately, that a lot of people have been calling about that...not only Z owners, but Murano, Miradas, etc...Anyway, he told me to put at least 38psi in each tire, cold, then drive it for a mile or so and that the light should go off. He said that the techs there would just do that anyhow (add more air)(I at the time had about 35psi in each).
I did that and it worked and has been okay the past two days.
Thanks for everyone's help and input.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:00 PM
russbrigham

If I am reading this correctly, 35 psi may not be enough to get the light to go off? Above someone indicated 38 psi. What would a good "non race" pressure be?
Old 11-19-2010, 06:00 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

That "38 psi" is probably not correct. At least it's never come up except in this thread that I've seen. The trigger pressure is around 28 psi, below that it will go off, above it should reset itself. You do have to turn the car off then back on then drive it above 20mph for a few minutes.

The best pressure is the one listed on the door-jamb sticker - 35psi for most models and tires.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:03 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by russbrigham
If I am reading this correctly, 35 psi may not be enough to get the light to go off? Above someone indicated 38 psi. What would a good "non race" pressure be?
5 year old thread bump!
Old 11-19-2010, 07:37 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by russbrigham
35 cold is great, RACE pressure would be around 28 cold.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:02 AM
STL 350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been having the same issue since the weather has been drooping to the mid 20's at night. The TPMS light will not come on during the warm temps during the day but if driven at night (temps below 35 degrees) the right rear sensor stops reading after 30-40ish miles.

I just pull over and turn the car off then start her back up again and I am good to go. I will look into it further if it becomes a real issue otherwise the only other light that annoys me is the low fuel LOL!