Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

HELP: TPS problem with new wheels installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006 | 02:19 PM
danzzz

Default HELP: TPS problem with new wheels installed

This morning, I just went to the dealer to replace my front brake pads and also let them replace my old 05' 17" wheels with those 06' 18" ones (with tires and TPS). But when I got my car back (I forgot to check the TPS panel when I was leaving the dealership), I just figured out the TPS totally didn't work. It just shows like no sensors are installed. I really have no idea why this happened because I thought it should be no problem to replace the wheels with the same Nissan stock ones, and I'm wondering if it could be caused by some damage, or maybe the 06's sensors are not compatible with 05's Z (personally I don't think so though).

REALLY need your guys help and I will also try to do some searches for the previous related posts. Thanks!

Last edited by danzzz; 05-25-2006 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-25-2006 | 02:59 PM
danzzz

I think this could be the answer?
They will work but you'll have to get a dealer to re-register them to the computer. Each wheel has a unique ID and it has to be associated with one of the four corners to the computer so it know what signal is for which wheel.
Old 05-25-2006 | 03:25 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic
Premier Member

^^^ That would be the most likely explanation.
Old 05-25-2006 | 03:41 PM
danzzz

then im wondering how much they'll charge for that?

(just paid 100 for the alignment and scared of dealing with them...)
Old 05-25-2006 | 05:12 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Actually, now that I'm thinking about what you first wrote, something make me think that they didn't put the sensors on the new wheels. If they moved the sensors from the old to the new, the computer will still read them.

If they put new sensors in the new wheels, then they should have registered them as part of that process. I wouldn't pay them anything if they are the ones that forgot to enable the new sensors.

Did they charge you for new sensors? Are you sure the new wheels have sensors? You can tell by the valve stem if it's a sensor or not.
Old 05-25-2006 | 06:38 PM
danzzz

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Actually, now that I'm thinking about what you first wrote, something make me think that they didn't put the sensors on the new wheels. If they moved the sensors from the old to the new, the computer will still read them.

If they put new sensors in the new wheels, then they should have registered them as part of that process. I wouldn't pay them anything if they are the ones that forgot to enable the new sensors.

Did they charge you for new sensors? Are you sure the new wheels have sensors? You can tell by the valve stem if it's a sensor or not.
Actually, I bought this set of 06' wheels (with tires, 1500 miles) from a guy in this forum and I'm pretty sure there're the sensors inside. I just took these wheels to the dealer and asked them to replace the old ones with no charge (since I did the pads replacement and alignment there too). So basically they have no responsibility to reregister the TPS for me.

But I'm thinking, they are supposed to know that the new TPS should be registered to work, why did they tell me that.

Anyways, thanks for your reply...
Old 05-25-2006 | 07:11 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic
Premier Member

If the valve stem is a metal one, then it's probably the TPS sensor, if it's a rubber stem then there's likely no sensor.

Yeah, you would have thought that the service dept would have known about the sensor registration. Apparently not - in this case.