Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

my PSI light is flashing

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 02:59 PM
ntwillie1

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Default my PSI light is flashing

hi all. my z pretty much lives in my garage. i've only put 5k miles on it in over a year. anyway i decided to take it out for a spin last night. the weather was about 38 degrees in NY. i parked, went shopping, and came back about an hour later. when i turned the car on this beep came on for a few seconds and the psi light started blinking. i read in the manual that it was a warning about underinflated tires. howerver, i walked around the car and the tires looked fine. they had like 29/28 psi on all four. not sure why the psi was flashing and the (_!_) light stayed on. Anyone have this happen to them? it was only mid 30's, wasn't even freezing so its kinda bugging me. Oh, and that little ICY light was on as well, but i've seen that before and it didn't cause the PSI light to flash the whole ride home. So, not sure if i just need more air in my tires but if anyone else experienced this please let me know. thanks guys.

Wil
Old 12-10-2006, 03:17 PM
DaveZ06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

38 degrees is cold enough to remove some air in your tires... but if you checked all 4 tires yourself and their fine, then u shouldn't worry about it. the Z is a sensitive beast.... let it rest
Old 12-10-2006, 03:27 PM
dbasal

29/28 psi is too low. They should be at 35 psi. That is why the light comes on. You will also never be able to tell a tire is a bit low by looking at it. You will lose a little psi over time.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:34 PM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Blinking PSI light means it's not finding a sensor.

If it had detected a low pressure, it would have buzzed
Old 12-10-2006, 06:50 PM
h8rain

Mine buzzed a day or two ago. I don't have a air compressor at my house and I have not gone to my dad's (he has one). I know you should drive on low pressure, but its been like 4 miles in the past two days.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:41 AM
Kolia

Originally Posted by h8rain
Mine buzzed a day or two ago. I don't have a air compressor at my house and I have not gone to my dad's (he has one). I know you should drive on low pressure, but its been like 4 miles in the past two days.
Most gas stations have compressors.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:27 AM
djnc

Originally Posted by Kolia
Most gas stations have compressors.
+1...got some quarters?...you got air
Old 12-11-2006, 08:54 AM
sry110

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Yeah 28 psi is too low...your alarm should have gone off...unless you have removed the tire pressure monitoring sensors, in which case it will blink when you first start the car and then stay on solid.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:37 PM
whitetrack

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Get yourself a good tire pressure gauge and an air tank and keep them at your house. You can fill the air tank up at the gas station or from your dad's compressor. Tires will lose presure as the temp drops. You should check the tire pressure before you drive it and fill it to 35 lbs. Get into the habit of checking at least once a month or at least check the monitor regularly.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:56 PM
plumpzz

I run 38psi front, 35 rear. Helps keep the car neutral w/ sway bars.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:40 PM
efx

HELP!!! Did something horribly bad the other day! I had my TPS turn on at a friends house. Front right tire was at 19psi at the time and the rest were fine (32-35). I called my friend and he said they were normal. So i still drive with them on the freeway with it on. I put some air in it but not enough for the light to go away.

I dont how bad it is, but is driving on the freeway with (20-25) psi bad on the tire? Right now its at 0. I was thinking of buying those disposable air can temp fixes tommorrow and bring it to a tire shop to have it fixed.

Should I just have it replaced? Anyone know the cost of replacing one rubber? All the wheels have 5k on it and Im not sure if I should just replace the whole set with better tires.

On another note. I removed my wheels to get them PC'd. I actually put the rear wheel in front which sorta bent that extra bolt on the axle. I was trying to figure wtf it didnt fit and I realized that the front wheel has that space for the bolt to fit.

Should I be concerned about that bolt? Is it the reason why my front right tire is all jacked up?
Old 12-29-2006, 07:02 AM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by efx

On another note. I removed my wheels to get them PC'd. I actually put the rear wheel in front which sorta bent that extra bolt on the axle. I was trying to figure wtf it didnt fit and I realized that the front wheel has that space for the bolt to fit.

Should I be concerned about that bolt? Is it the reason why my front right tire is all jacked up?
That bolt is worthless, just pull it out and forget about it. Lots of people running aftermarket wheels have to remove it anyway. Its just there to hold the rotor tight if the wheel is removed.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:45 AM
efx

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
That bolt is worthless, just pull it out and forget about it. Lots of people running aftermarket wheels have to remove it anyway. Its just there to hold the rotor tight if the wheel is removed.

thx!
Old 12-29-2006, 12:07 PM
Kolia

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
That bolt is there to prevent the rear wheels from being mounted on the front. It dosen't hold the rotor in any way.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:16 PM
efx

Originally Posted by Kolia
That bolt is there to prevent the rear wheels from being mounted on the front. It dosen't hold the rotor in any way.
I figured that out after I bent that bolt haha. Does it need to be replaced or can i leave it like that?

I went to les schwab today and they said that Im going to have to go to nissan and have it replaced there. This was a younger kid telling me this and Ive been told by several of people that they could replace a flat tire for free. Well they quoted me for stock potenzas (ordered) at 350-400. Im like WTF!! Any suggestions to what I should do? The only warranty I have is the nissan factory.

Theres a small hole from a pothole I hit on I-5 but im not sure if its a tireslash from an idiot at my friends apts. Any ideas on what to do? Right now Ive applied the $5 tire fixes and added a some air to let the light go away.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:20 PM
Kolia

Don't worry about the bolt. Like SpoilsofWar said, take it out. Just make sure you don't mixup your front and rear wheels.

Stock Potenze are supah expensive. Try to find some used one on this board or e-bay. Or get a new set of 4 tires for a little more money.