Old 07-25-2007, 11:52 AM
lowrider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Yep
Old 07-25-2007, 02:26 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by daytona350z
didnt say it was safer and you didnt read my post saying you were comparing apples to oranges once you changed the rim width.

now you changing your words to jusyt plain asphalt from pothole. you obviously did not read my post or did not understand it.
link to post?
Would a 305 on a 10.5 be a better comparison to a 245 on a 10.5?
Old 07-25-2007, 02:34 PM
daytona350z

Originally Posted by redlude97
link to post?
Would a 305 on a 10.5 be a better comparison to a 245 on a 10.5?
you really need to drop this and just look at my earlier posts in the thread...
Old 07-25-2007, 03:03 PM
OffsetZ33

Originally Posted by daytona350z
you must have alot of experience in this field. you probably have no idea how a car will perform since you yourself have not tried it.

as far as potholes-read above

jinsei888 and deviljon- cant wait to see your setup jjinsei888. glad to see a feq people on here that push agressive offsets

Who aims for potholes anyways? lol

It is really a matter of style, some love it (me included), and some hate it. Same goes for wheel design, or body kits. Hell, even the choice in car that a person drives. But going so far as to say the tire is going to fall off the rim is absolutely nonsense. True that there may be more damage to a wheel if a tire fails on a stretched application, but being stretched doesnt automatically mean there will be a failure.

Stretched tires originated from Europe actually where regulations did not allow for changing tire sizes other than stock, so what many did was run wider wheels on the same size tires.

There will always be two sides of any discussion...
Old 07-25-2007, 05:04 PM
lowrider

Originally Posted by OffsetZ33

There will always be two sides of any discussion...

Not really for this one at least. The Auto & Tire Manufacturers spend millions of dollars designing safety criteria and handling characteristics for tires, wheels and the vehicles they are mounted on. Warranties are in place within those established guidelines. Go outside of those guidelines and the risk is yours. And for what, LOOKS

Makes no sense sense to me. No skin off my nose if you want to risk your life on a peculiar tire/wheel combination, just don't drive near me when you do it.

Lou
Old 07-25-2007, 06:34 PM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

because its the pimpest thing since michael jackson did the moonwalk.
- tougeracing

Last edited by jinsei888; 07-25-2007 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:32 PM
Kolia

Originally Posted by lowrider
Not really for this one at least. The Auto & Tire Manufacturers spend millions of dollars designing safety criteria and handling characteristics for tires, wheels and the vehicles they are mounted on. Warranties are in place within those established guidelines. Go outside of those guidelines and the risk is yours. And for what, LOOKS

Makes no sense sense to me. No skin off my nose if you want to risk your life on a peculiar tire/wheel combination, just don't drive near me when you do it.

Lou
Exactly.

Looks and personnal preferences aside (these can't be argued upon) stretching beyond the recommended rim width is a safety issue.

You guys seem to consider a tire bead popping out as a simple discomfort when it could easily maim you, or others, for life. Its a serious thing and the guy that mounted the tire is in for a serious lawsuit if something bad happens.

Think/believe all you what. You're pushing the limit and eventually, it'll bite back.

Drifting, like the pictures shown are done on closed circuit with prepared cars and ambulance with paramedics in attendance... How safe does that deem the activity to be? Keeping in mind I'm a track guy and actually have pushed my cars at the limit, with said paramedics nearby... I have a fairly good idea of the forces involved when a car is in motion.

Some seem to want to bring the reverse activity of running wider tires in perspective. I don't support that either but at least a wider tire doesn't rely on tire pressure alone to keep the bead sealed...
Old 07-25-2007, 11:59 PM
hayai240sx

Originally Posted by Kolia
Exactly.

Looks and personnal preferences aside (these can't be argued upon) stretching beyond the recommended rim width is a safety issue.

You guys seem to consider a tire bead popping out as a simple discomfort when it could easily maim you, or others, for life. Its a serious thing and the guy that mounted the tire is in for a serious lawsuit if something bad happens.

Think/believe all you what. You're pushing the limit and eventually, it'll bite back.

Drifting, like the pictures shown are done on closed circuit with prepared cars and ambulance with paramedics in attendance... How safe does that deem the activity to be? Keeping in mind I'm a track guy and actually have pushed my cars at the limit, with said paramedics nearby... I have a fairly good idea of the forces involved when a car is in motion.

Some seem to want to bring the reverse activity of running wider tires in perspective. I don't support that either but at least a wider tire doesn't rely on tire pressure alone to keep the bead sealed...

Could you post up links (with photos) on tire bead popping out. You seem to keep bringing it up as if it's a frequent thing. Thanks
Old 07-26-2007, 04:07 AM
Kolia

Originally Posted by hayai240sx
Could you post up links (with photos) on tire bead popping out. You seem to keep bringing it up as if it's a frequent thing. Thanks

You realize that you're asking my to prove to you that improperly mounting a tire can be hazardous?

Do your own research on the NHTSA data if you absolutely need more proofs that mounting tires beyond recommended parameters is a safety issue. I doubt you'll find anything specifically about tire stretching.

You can then use that lack of data as an argument to support your (and others) claim that stretching has no impact on tire stability and seal retention capability. If you're that dumb, it's your problem...

I've yet to see an automotive engineers post anything in favor of stretching in this discussion.

Last edited by Kolia; 07-26-2007 at 04:25 AM.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:43 AM
chewychew

no doubt that it is prolly more dangerous, but its not INEVITABLE that it would do that. Has anyone ever heard a tragic story of a stretched tire "maiming" anyone? Bcus i havent. the fact of the matter is it is a risk that plenty of ppl take. I dont doubt that there are tire failures due to many factors , maybe this one is the main culprit, but i dont see the tire failing just by rolling around on the highway driving. If drifters do this and put a ton more stress on it, without this problem, how dangerous can it be for regular street driving? also, most people who stretch the tire simply do so because they want a wide rim to "fit", that being said, its not like some person is putting a 195 on a 9.5 width rim, thats ridiculous i agree, but if its 10-20mm smaller in width that the wheel, is that enough for you to lose sleep over? i dont think so. especially since its been done many a time before.

Of course tire companies advocate proper sizing. they dont wanna be liable for anything. The bottom line is its a preference between people and leave it at that, if someone dies bcus of a stretched tire, than thats different story. Has anyone?

That justs seems like a parallel to many of these ppls arguments, that a tire strecthed WILL cause a failure. Sure you are taking an additional risk in doing so, but its not a forgone conclusion. If it was WOULD ANYONE DO IT?.

To each their own, its a good thing that we can debate about this, don't you agree?
Old 07-26-2007, 05:46 AM
chewychew

additionally, i have le37's 9.5 and 10.5, when i bought them from f1 motorsports, they rcommended a 245 up front and a 275, which many people run. ( toyo T1r). they are stretched somewhat , and the sidewalls of the tire arent vertical. Is this slight stretch gonna make me worry? Obviously not, ALOT of people have this setup. So does the risk of "maiming and hurting you by driving alongside YOU, increase to the point of failure if i ran a 265 in the rear or a 235 in the front? .....
Old 07-26-2007, 05:49 AM
chewychew

It comes down to different philosophies, obviously grip ppl want more tire, but drifting doesnt require so. The style of drifting is how it is, ppl stretch the tire. lets leave it be, instead of cautioning everyoneabout how this will maim and kill people. cus so far it hasnt... in the many yrs that ppl have been doing this
Old 07-26-2007, 07:20 AM
redlude97

Originally Posted by chewychew
additionally, i have le37's 9.5 and 10.5, when i bought them from f1 motorsports, they rcommended a 245 up front and a 275, which many people run. ( toyo T1r). they are stretched somewhat , and the sidewalls of the tire arent vertical. Is this slight stretch gonna make me worry? Obviously not, ALOT of people have this setup. So does the risk of "maiming and hurting you by driving alongside YOU, increase to the point of failure if i ran a 265 in the rear or a 235 in the front? .....
We are talking about stretching tires onto wheels that are outside of the manufacturer's safe range for that width. 245/9.5 and 275/10.5 are still within tire manuf. specs. We aren't even talking about you
Old 07-26-2007, 07:46 AM
chewychew

obviously i know we arent talking about me. (^ angry are we)
Old 07-26-2007, 07:47 AM
chewychew

I thought this was a "forum" where people talk , doe it have to be about me REDLUDE97?
Old 07-26-2007, 07:55 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

most people i see drifting run a stretched tire, I don't because my wheels are only 10 inches wide, but id run 11s if they made them. I almost never see a cars tire come off the bead, and none of the times I have seen that happen are they the cars running stretched tires. Its usually some new kid, who probably mounted them on his own at school and doesn't know what hes doing.
but when guys are drifting at 80+ mph on "unsafe" stretched tires and nothing ever goes wrong, it really doesn't seem like something to worry about.

who cares how wide a tire you run at the track, if you're trying to run 305s on the track, and you are not in some sort of series, stop taking things so seriously and have fun.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:59 AM
chewychew

Thank you ^
Old 07-26-2007, 09:10 AM
hayai240sx

Originally Posted by Kolia

You realize that you're asking my to prove to you that improperly mounting a tire can be hazardous?

Do your own research on the NHTSA data if you absolutely need more proofs that mounting tires beyond recommended parameters is a safety issue. I doubt you'll find anything specifically about tire stretching.

You can then use that lack of data as an argument to support your (and others) claim that stretching has no impact on tire stability and seal retention capability. If you're that dumb, it's your problem...

I've yet to see an automotive engineers post anything in favor of stretching in this discussion.

My point: I never heard stories of tire bead popping out. I Googled it with no results. I personally think that you are full of SH*T(excuse my language) .
Old 07-26-2007, 12:14 PM
redlude97

I thought this was a "forum" where people talk , doe it have to be about me REDLUDE97?
No, it seems to be about you, since you felt the need to justify your purchase by posting this
Originally Posted by chewychew
245/235-9.5 and 275/265-10.5 are within manufacturer's specs, so what is the point in bringing it up? No one said that staying within specs would "increase [risk] of failure". Why are you arguing the point when you yourself follow manufacturer's specs and what sizes were recommended?
Old 07-26-2007, 12:31 PM
chewychew

Yes this thread is all about me, which is why i started it. thank you redlude for clarifying that. so a 225 and 255 in the rear, will make the tire bead pop off? thats clearly out of the manufacturers specs? please teach me Mr tire master. PLEASE! hahahahahaha, ur a joke who cant read, that little blurb was me contributing to a public forum, and in no way was meant switch this topic to me, but apparently you think so.

I wasnt even talking directly to YOU redlude 97, but apparently ive changed the entire 4 pages of this thread to me. maybe i should stay out of it, so ****- redlude97 can be happy.

PS to everyone, dont contribute your ideas, or give reference to your personal experiences, or REDLUDE 97 will come and get you in your sleep!

Quick Reply: Tire stretch question