Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Tire stretch question

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 12:34 PM
chewychew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh and btw, i am argueing this point, bcus ive done this in the past with other cars, my freinds cars, and have seen it in this little thing called D1, and Formula D. i didnt know i had to have stretched tires to argue the point that a stretched tire will make the tire bead pop off.

once i again i apologize.

sheesh so many rules to keep track of.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:34 PM
chewychew

edit* "will not make the bead pop off"^
Old 07-26-2007, 12:42 PM
redlude97

You tried to argue a point by suggesting a setup that is within manufacturer's specs? Where were you trying to go with that? The "other side" of the argument is advocating staying within specs, and you suggest a setup that is WITHIN SPECS. Sounds like you agree with us, or you just suck at trying to prove a point at all.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:53 PM
deviljon

cmon now guys, dont pick on redlude97... he obviously doesn't like stretched tires cuz he's got weak widths/offsets. i mean, even with a +25mm spacer he's barely flush. just imagine what size tires you'd have to buy to get a stretch on on an 8.5/9.5 setup lol
Old 07-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hayai240sx
My point: I never heard stories of tire bead popping out. I Googled it with no results. I personally think that you are full of SH*T(excuse my language) .
Hey, it's fine for me if your world is based on stories and hearsay...

Did you know that Google only shows you the results it wants to show you? The information is filtered and paying customers are the results you get. Keep that i mind when surfing the web.

Seriously, you not hearing about a given kind of accident don't mean it can't or doesn't happen. The world is bigger than you think!

Here's what I found after 5 minutes of research on the NHTSA web site.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd...03MacIsaac.pdf

It is related to the Firestone recall. But note on page 5 (page 3 of the pdf) that a bead failure is classified as a "Common failure" in the field. It is also noted "Not generally a safety problem". On a properly sized tire that is...
Old 07-26-2007, 05:34 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

My point: I never heard stories of tire bead popping out. I Googled it with no results. I personally think that you are full of SH*T(excuse my language) .
it may not be something that happens alot, but acting like it doesn't is being naive
Old 07-26-2007, 06:10 PM
tougeracing

Originally Posted by Kolia
Some seem to want to bring the reverse activity of running wider tires in perspective. I don't support that either but at least a wider tire doesn't rely on tire pressure alone to keep the bead sealed...
actually a lot of those guys drive their car daily. The blue one is owned by my buddys friend. He drives that **** daily school, work, and to the track and back.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:20 PM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could you post up links (with photos) on tire bead popping out. You seem to keep bringing it up as if it's a frequent thing. Thanks
+1

I'll give this up and begin to find more truth in kolia's statement for every story he can find us on beads coming off owners with stretched tires. track or street stories all will count in convincing me of kolia's truths
Old 07-26-2007, 06:28 PM
jinsei888

Originally Posted by deviljon
cmon now guys, dont pick on redlude97... he obviously doesn't like stretched tires cuz he's got weak widths/offsets. i mean, even with a +25mm spacer he's barely flush. just imagine what size tires you'd have to buy to get a stretch on on an 8.5/9.5 setup lol
LMFHO!!!

ok to be honest, to each their own and everyone can do as they wish with their car, but simply IMO, I find it confusing on any person's decision to get SSR SP1's in offsets and widths that FF Honda's can run more aggressively on stock body

8.5/9.5? LOL it's starting to make sense why someone with that kinda setup would not like stretched...because they don't offer tires narrow enough to even give those wheels a stretch <---exaggerated humor
Old 07-26-2007, 06:32 PM
jinsei888

Hey, it's fine for me if your world is based on stories and hearsay...

Did you know that Google only shows you the results it wants to show you? The information is filtered and paying customers are the results you get. Keep that i mind when surfing the web.

Seriously, you not hearing about a given kind of accident don't mean it can't or doesn't happen. The world is bigger than you think!

Here's what I found after 5 minutes of research on the NHTSA web site.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd...03MacIsaac.pdf

It is related to the Firestone recall. But note on page 5 (page 3 of the pdf) that a bead failure is classified as a "Common failure" in the field. It is also noted "Not generally a safety problem". On a properly sized tire that is...
Read deeper, PDF poster.

Page 2 of the PDF starts off stating that this entire PDF topic is regarding TIRE AGING. this PDF has to do with firestone's tire aging in conjunction with high heat conditions. your PDF provided bears 0% relevance to your point of stretching tires vs. bead safety. There is not a single ounce of corrolation that is stated or that can be assumingly garnered from your linked PDF.

failed!
Old 07-26-2007, 06:34 PM
tougeracing

+1 ^^

no one buys old tires to stretch on their wheels. only lindsay lohan would do that.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:36 PM
jinsei888

Originally Posted by tougeracing
+1 ^^

no one buys old tires to stretch on their wheels. only lindsay lohan would do that.
lol

Old 07-26-2007, 06:42 PM
chewychew

hahaha, i shouldnt be a lawyer, apparently all that i posted, wasnt a good enough argument for redlude97. this thread has already taken too much of my life, that i wont get back. Jinsei, i agree totally with you. thats all i have to say, im tired of typing and making a point to someone that will never get it. sorry luder =P
Old 07-26-2007, 06:44 PM
chewychew

i also think its funny, when ppl list their mods in their posts. haha wow, especially tint.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:51 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by tougeracing
+1 ^^

Plenty of drifters buy old tires to stretch onto their wheels, they can't afford to buy new tires after every event. Maybe you can afford new tires all the time, but most drifters can't, they reuse tires all the time with less than 10% treadlife left.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jinsei888
+1

I'll give this up and begin to find more truth in kolia's statement for every story he can find us on beads coming off owners with stretched tires. track or street stories all will count in convincing me of kolia's truths
I'm not the one who claims the manufacturer's recommendations are bogus and that stretching a tire has no effect on bead stability with no scientific data of any kind! I have nothing to prove.

You only need minimal power of deduction to figure that one out. I don't think it's beyond high school grade really...
Old 07-26-2007, 08:28 PM
tougeracing

Originally Posted by redlude97
Plenty of drifters buy old tires to stretch onto their wheels, they can't afford to buy new tires after every event. Maybe you can afford new tires all the time, but most drifters can't, they reuse tires all the time with less than 10% treadlife left.

AGREED! black bear beats battlestar galactica
Old 07-26-2007, 09:47 PM
hayai240sx

I'm not the one who claims the manufacturer's recommendations are bogus and that stretching a tire has no effect on bead stability with no scientific data of any kind! I have nothing to prove.

You only need minimal power of deduction to figure that one out. I don't think it's beyond high school grade really...
You sound like a ignorant fool with Degree in Engineering. You should give up because your persuading skills(hard to do without proof)really suck.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:22 PM
jinsei888

You sound like a ignorant fool with Degree in Engineering. You should give up because your persuading skills(hard to do without proof)really suck.
a degree does not entail that one is the best in the class or the best in the field--there are good and bad engineers out in the world
Old 07-27-2007, 02:58 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

Originally Posted by redlude97
do you even know what you're talking about, real drifters have to use new tires, anything else isn't worth the time it takes to mount.

Quick Reply: Tire stretch question